• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsfan75

How long have you been a Wings fan?

Rate this topic

How many years have you been following the Wings?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I just wanted to guage how many years everyone has been following the team. This does by any means suggest that the more you've watched the more you know about the Wings or hockey. Just a poll. Thanks for taking part.

I, myself, have been watching since the 86-87 season. I may have been watching before that but I was big into baseball because of the Tigers in those years. I'm only 31 so I had my GI Joes around too. LOL!

I, myself, have been watching since the 86-87 season. I may have been watching before that but I was big into baseball because of the Tigers in those years. I'm only 31 so I had my GI Joes around too. LOL!

Same boat here, but I have a couple of years on ya!

first red wing memories for me where the 80s with players like yzerman, kocur, probert, carson, chaisson, burr, gallant, barr, chevalade, and my favorite red wing Adam Oates.

Damn i feel old.

I'm with ya. I think the year I really started watching the Wings was the 84-85 season.

I jumped off the Tigers bandwagon onto the Wings and haven't looked back. :P

I'd say 1996-7. I was still young at the time only 7 and being young it's hard to have a favorite. But I remember the Wings beating the Flyers in the finals and that was at a time I was rooting for them. So I'm thinking the begining of the 1997 season was when I started liking them.

I actually grew up in Chicago but never really was a Blackhawks fan, but I loved chelios. I became a wings fan in 1995 when they were facing the devils in the stanley cup playoffs. I was in Michigan and my whole family was wings fans and they bought me a wings hat and at the point I was a wings fan, I was 10 at the time. I eventually moved to Detroit in the winter of 97 and it was great to see them win the cup, and then the next year as well.

I am the perfect reason why the NHL should try to get on ESPN or another major network. I started watching the wings games on ESPN in 2002, and fell in love with the sport and naturally continued to follow this team. So basically I am a bandwagon fan, but I won't be falling off the bandwagon ;) .

I started following the team in '94. I was only 10 years old but I clearly remember the crappy feeling when we lost to the lousy Sharks.

Haha, same here. That is when my hatred for the Sharks began. Of course Marchmant and Ricci playing there didn't help any. And I'm still pissed Vernon was traded there!

Guest jaytan

I've been a Wings fan since I was like three years old (which is funny, since my dad's a fan of a rival team), because I always used to go to the Joe and watch them play. I used to listen to the games on the radio under my pillow when I was supposed to be sleeping and all that jazz too. :lol:

The first time I got mad about not getting the Stanley Cup was in '88 or '89 when they lost to the Oilers. I'd been keeping a scrapbook from the newspapers for the whole playoffs, so I guess I just assumed they were going to win.

Guest jaytan

1993 damn leafs still haunts me lol.

:( I hated that one.

I remember I got all excited to beat them, so before the series started I got out my markers and went to my drawing desk (for some reason I was a big drawer back then) and made a huge picture depicting all the Wings beating up Leafs players and celebrating a goal. It was an awesome picture until I destroyed it in shame a couple weeks later.

Guest bullocks

I've been a Wings fan since about '95. Fedorov was my favourite player, and he has the same birthday as me LOL and being a young dumb f*** back then i was about 9 i fell in love with him and the team. After he started pullin his stupid contract bs i started faiding from him. But i still liked him and when he left in 03' or w.e it was, i didn't care too much and stuck with the Wings. No team in pro sports can get me so happy and pissed off at the same time as the Red Wings.

GO WINGS GO!!!

I started following the team during the 77-78 season. The Red Wings made the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade and they swept the Atlanta Flames in the first round. Montreal crushed them in the second round but it was fun while it lasted. Jim Rutherford was the starting goaltender and Reed Larson was the stud on the blue line.

what a walk down memory lane, I started watching the wings around 76 mostly because my grandfather LOVED the Leafs, I hate the leafs so much. I remember Reed Larson and Dale McCort(not sure of the spelling) in the 77-78 season and how the wings were just a little less worse of then the leafs that year. I was thinking it was the beginning of something good to come then the next couple of years everything fell apart.Then the 87-88 season I took my grandfather to 2 games 1 in Detroit and the other in Toronto both Wings win. I also went to the playoff game where the leafs won like 6 to 5. what a great season Probert had scoring 60+ points plus the leading scorer for the wings in the playoffs. :clap: Then 93 playoffs overtime game 7, heartbreak and to The LEAFS to boot. I hate the leafs so Much. :angry:

Guest DetroitIan

Wings fan since '86! What a perfect era to start being a Red Wings fan.

I've gotta say... I've only been a Red Wings fan for about the last two/three years. We don't get to see much hockey here in the UK and I've only just turned 17 so I was pretty young when I started watching. It was probably Yzerman and Shanahan who got me hooked.

But hey recently I've got more hockey under my belt thanks to the NHL website and have been able to watch and listen to games ever since.

No doubt I'll be a Wing for many years to come, and hopefully my kids too.