• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
skiiiman

Longest road to a Stanley Cup Finals

Rate this topic

As of the upcoming game 6 trip to Anaheim the Wings will have travelled 24,096 miles in thier Cup run. This is only 700 miles shy of a road trip around the earth. The return trip back to Detroit will put them past travelling around the planet.

Does the NHL see anything wrong with this? Would this be an NHL record?

Facts:

To Calgary- 3,760 mile round trip * 2 trips = 7,520 miles

To San Jose- 4,868 miles round trip * 2 trips = 9,736 miles

To Anaheim- 4,560 miles round trip * 2 trips = 9,120 miles

Total = 26,376 miles

Talk about "Road Warriors" the Wings take the prize!!!!!

GO WINGS!!!!

Guest jaytan

And how many times do we play Toronto a year now? Once? It's a joke!

I was hoping the Pens would move out West (hopefully to Portland, :P) when they were trying to get the arena deal earlier this year. Then they'd have to put us in the East.

I'm pretty sure Columbus is further East than Detroit. It makes sense dollars wise for Detroit to move east, but I don't think the league would do it because then they would be deemed biased towards Detroit.

And how many times do we play Toronto a year now? Once? It's a joke!

I was hoping the Pens would move out West (hopefully to Portland, :P) when they were trying to get the arena deal earlier this year. Then they'd have to put us in the East.

What about Montreal, Boston, New York- we never see them either.

The regular season west coast trips suck too, never see any of those games. We probably miss watching about 20 games a season, unless you don't have to work in the morning and can stay up until 2-3AM during the week. It sucks!!!

Should have left Tampa Bay in the West, move Detroit to the East!!!!

You have to move somebody West, first. Atlanta is further West than both Detroit & Columbus, but I don't think they're switching conferences anytime soon.

I think if Florida moved (one team I think that's closer to moving than many think) then you might see a team moved to the East, but it would probably be Columbus.

Guest jaytan

If they don't move us to the East, they should at least kill this new scheduling thing. Why in the hell should we have to play NASHVILLE (of all places) every other game, and Toronto one in 82. Growing up, I always thought the Leafs were our No. 1 rival. Original Six teams. Four hours away. Great histories.... Now we never even play them, and never will more than once a year (since they'll never make another Stanley Cup Finals :lol:). I don't care at all about the Predators or the Blue Jackets, and I don't think anyone else does either.

The Avs rivalry is over (their fault). Give me one good reason why Detroit should be in the West. Only two teams in our conference are in our time zone, for christ's sake. Bring Detroit and Chicago to the East, and make it a 16-14 split like it is in baseball.

Now we never even play them, and never will more than once a year (since they'll never make another Stanley Cup Finals :lol:). I don't care at all about the Predators or the Blue Jackets, and I don't think anyone else does either.

The Avs rivalry is over (their fault). Give me one good reason why Detroit should be in the West.

The league thinks we ought to though. I mean, what about the ads that try and "REMIND US" (lolz) of the super huge rivalry that Colorado and we have? And the big bad hated Preds?

Chicago and Detroit would be majorly cool to have in the East, but I'm not sure they'd ever do that. The idea of Detroit going - as sound as it is, as right as they should have first choice in switching conferences - is tough enough a sell.

Chicago would very much fit in the eastern Canada/States travel zones though, and it'd feel very wrong to have only one O6 team left by itself in the West. Keep all those babies together, don't split the litter. :hehe:

Making trips out West is nothing new. We've been playing Western teams for years.

We've debated this before. The NHL has said the Wings are to important for the Western Conference, and the Organization knows it too. I don't see the Wings moving East anytime soon. Columbus will switch Conferences before we do.

The Wings would abuse the EC.

When I'm feeling down, I like to reflect on this. :D

It's also a funny thought to me, especially when it's framed in utterly patronizing terms like that.

Sometimes when it's put in absurd ones. Even when it approaches insulting "like beating on redheaded stepchildren" ones. :lol: !

Edited by Flip-check

I think if the Wings went East then they would lose their edge down the road, if you ask me the West has by far the better teams.

There was also an idea that was being thrown around by some players and the likes over the corse of the lockout going along the lines that every team would play every team at least once. I think this is a great idea, but Bettman and a bunch of his owner buddies said no, basicaly because the owners were bitching that all the team travel would cut into their profits. to that I say Boo the f*** Hoo. They are still driving better cars and living in better homes than I ever will, and they own a professional hockey team! They can watch hockey all the time and be arund the game, but thats right it's not about the sport or the history of the origanial 6 playing one another in some of the best games ever, it's all about the investment.

Guest bullocks

That's why they should have went up 3-1 on anaheim...maybe save them a trip back to cali!!

They can watch hockey all the time and be arund the game, but thats right it's not about the sport or the history of the origanial 6 playing one another in some of the best games ever, it's all about the investment.

"Those guys get to have a hockey team and be around the game, but they are assholes because rather than lose tons of money they make what they see as a small sacrifice so that they can continue to have a hockey team and be around the game"

Just wow.

I think if the Wings went East then they would lose their edge down the road, if you ask me the West has by far the better teams.

I agree, I think the West has better teams and the games are more interesting to watch. I really hope that we dont ever become and East team, I dont mind the late night games its what being a fan is all about!

It's also a funny thought to me, especially when it's framed in utterly patronizing terms like that.

Sometimes when it's put in absurd ones. Even when it approaches insulting "like beating on redheaded stepchildren" ones. :lol: !

:lol:

I think they should just split everything up like the NFL and MLB does. Instead of having east and west, just mix up the whole darn thing so that every team has to travel all over the whole country on a regular basis.

Keep traditional rivalries like the O-6 in one conference. Make some new rivalries. As much as you wonder why Detroit and Toronto rarely play, we wonder why Nashville and Atlanta never play. They could really make some nice divisions/conferences doing things with a little common sense

Edited by Legionnaire11

I'm with Legionnaire. Get rid of East and West. You could either make random conferences, or as a buddy of mine suggested, North and South conferences. Travel would be equalized for all teams. Problem solved.

Our only hope was if Pittsburgh moved west and we all know that will not happen now. Maybe if the league expands to 32 teams, we will go east.

I'm with Legionnaire. Get rid of East and West. You could either make random conferences, or as a buddy of mine suggested, North and South conferences. Travel would be equalized for all teams. Problem solved.

But you know if there were north and south conferences, there would be the whole racism and "yanks vs confederates" thing made by the media in particular. They like to do that sort of thing even if it seems totally off the wall to a normal person...

Basically it would be a huge Political Correctness "No-No" and the media would be all over it.

I think they should just split everything up like the NFL and MLB does. Instead of having east and west, just mix up the whole darn thing so that every team has to travel all over the whole country on a regular basis.

Keep traditional rivalries like the O-6 in one conference. Make some new rivalries. As much as you wonder why Detroit and Toronto rarely play, we wonder why Nashville and Atlanta never play. They could really make some nice divisions/conferences doing things with a little common sense

Good plan. I've never been a fan of East/West, I've always favored the way MLB and NFL are set up.

I'd be in favor of splitting the Original 6 between Conferences. i.e. Detroit, Toronto, and NYR in one; Montreal, Chicago, and Boston in the other.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

What about a three conference format with two divisions each conf? top 16 make playoffs. West Central East.