• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Offsides

Woman attacked after Sabres win

Rate this topic

Did see this mentioned yet and it concerned me...

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buff...tory/78531.html

The trouble started after the game, as the Buffalo fans were walking down the aisle and toward the exit to the concourse.

Brown first felt someone grab at her jersey, and then she was shoved to the ground.

Luck said she then was shoved by one of two male Senators fans standing near her.

At that point, she was pushed to the ground by the men and punched five times in the face. Other fans quickly moved in to pull the men off her and hold them until police were able to move into the aisle.

We were talking about this recently...when fans cross the line. It's scary because I've had encounters with fans before that were less than pleasant. A guy in Toronto came down to my row to heckle me, and then grabbed my jersey and yanked on it. Needless to say it made me very uncomfortable and the guy was really drunk. Scary to see what could happen...

Did see this mentioned yet and it concerned me...

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregion/buff...tory/78531.html

We were talking about this recently...when fans cross the line. It's scary because I've had encounters with fans before that were less than pleasant. A guy in Toronto came down to my row to heckle me, and then grabbed my jersey and yanked on it. Needless to say it made me very uncomfortable and the guy was really drunk. Scary to see what could happen...

This kind of stuff happens everywhere and in every sport. It's really nothing new. But a couple of guys beating up on a woman, that is kinda lame IMO.

A guy in Toronto came down to my row to heckle me, and then grabbed my jersey and yanked on it. Needless to say it made me very uncomfortable and the guy was really drunk. Scary to see what could happen...

This is about my main complaint with pro sports competition, period: it creates an atmosphere where stuff like this may happen. Intelligent souls would never do this, but the bottomfeeders of the people who are attracted to sports -- they're the ones that get dangerous while they're busy getting riled up, viewing the contests.

I'd say a lot of people would consider it negligible, that it's more about the people than the fact that it's pro sports - and I'd agree to an extent - but I do believe that rallying behind teams and rooting against others can act as an "on/off" switch for some people out there, and allow the darker aspects of human nature to arise.

It happens in many other kinds of venues/scenarios too, but the main point is: it speaks volumes about how easily, and willingly, some human beings will act so mindlessly when they get stirred up by anything, whether music or athletic comp or whatever.

at the game on Thursday, I was trying to get back to my seat and I asked this 350 pound beast at the aisle seat to excuse me. He didn't respond. I asked again. Nothing. Finally, I tapped him on the shoudler and said, could you move please? He told me, "if you touch me again, I'm gonna sock you in your face". I responded with a smirk, "try it, bubba". And he just stared at me as I forced myself around him and to my seat.

Anaheim = :puke:

This kind of stuff happens everywhere and in every sport. It's really nothing new. But a couple of guys beating up on a woman, that is kinda lame IMO.

It may be nothing new... but it is outrageous... Guys beating up guys is dump... Guys beating up females... is just wrong!

It may be nothing new... but it is outrageous... Guys beating up guys is dump... Guys beating up females... is just wrong!

any kind of violence at sporting events is just retarded, its just so unnecessary

Edited by ShanahanMan

...this is funny though, now, not only did their team lose, they are going to jail, going to be sued and prolly have to pay this lady their wages for the rest of their lives. LOL! LOL! LOL!

...this is the absolute reason I WILL NOT take my sons to an away game. These so-called fans think that nothing else exists but their team winning and when they lose, they feel like the world is coming to an end. I pity these people who cannot just go to a game, try to enjoy themselves and win or lose go home and rejoice in the life they have and the fact that they are lucky enough to have a job and to be able to afford to go to a game. Now these guys, who obviously feel that when the Senators lose, God must hate them, will have no lives, for the rest of their lives. People like this will be collateral damage on December 21, 2012...

...rejoice you have a life. If the Wings lose the next two, what will you do? Will you kill someone, attack someone, get drunk, get into an accident and spend time in jail? Or will you look at your wonderful family, kiss each of them goodnight and go to bed thinking, oh well, better luck next year!

Guest Crymson

yah i heard about that...it's pretty sad beating up a women.

I think that's rather male-chauvinist of you to say. I know quite a few women who could probably beat many of the men on these boards into the ground.

What's sad is that anyone, period, was attacked over a hockey game in the first place.

I definitely don't think it's chauvinist.

It's genetic that most men are stronger than most women...sorry gals it's true.

I remember trying to arm wrestle even the skinny armed puny guys and I could not win.

Maybe body builder women, but most of us aren't that. It's not to say women can't be tough, but c'mon.

I guess chivalry is dead :/

Edited by Offsides

This is why you don't where your own teams jerseys at a visiting teams arena. I know it's great to show support for your team, but you could actually put your life in danger when meeting the wrong people.

Case and Point: My cousin lives in Colorado Springs. He went to an Av's game during the heat of the Wings-Av's rivalry a few years ago. He and his girlfriend were almost attacked by drunken Av's fans at that game. Now, he was wearing his Wings jersey, and being this was the heat of a pretty bitter rival, he wasn't in a very safe position. Luckily he did get out unharmed.

My point is this: While I understand wanting to show support for your team, it's dangerous to go to a visiting teams arena wearing the other teams jerseys. It just is. Too many people get drunk and go crazy and even attack people, like in this situation in Buffalo.

I think Crymson's right that it's sad that it happened to anyone, at all, but you've got it about strength and genetics factoring in. In a way I "get" some people's complaints that such views are condescending to women...

..but it's probably that with the equality of genders that's been building up over the past two hundred years, no one wants to say it, even though it's one of those truths - in the general spectrum. And something still bugs me about whenever people openly say it - but that's probably because I've heard so many assertions of women being "weak" by some men, and not in a.. ah, way you'd ever want to hear.

To speak of women's lesser physical strength in a casual manner always seems to open that misogynistic door for some, I suppose.

Actually, I wouldn't think twice about wearing an opposing teams jersey to the joe (for example if my favorite player was in town and I was going to see him) or wearing the oppsoing team jersey in another arena. I wore a NYI's jersey to the ACC during the 1st round a few years ago to support Ozzie. I've worn my blues Drake jersey in Chicago... I have one or two for every occastion ;)

I wouldn't think twice about doing that.

But i see this issue mainly as a group of guys beating up women and that is just uncalled for on so many levels. I also wouldn't think twice about stepping in to stop such actions either... there is a line and that crosses it, no questions asked.

People should not be afraid to support there team, no matter where they are playing. Fans need to know how to control themselves and arena security needs to be able to step up the plate also to help protect the fans.

Edited by OsGOD

But i see this issue mainly as a group of guys beating up women and that is just uncalled for on so many levels.

especially in CANADA!?!? :blink:

Edited by ShanahanMan

Actually, I wouldn't think twice about wearing an opposing teams jersey to the joe (for example if my favorite player was in town and I was going to see him) or wearing the oppsoing team jersey in another arena. I wore a NYI's jersey to the ACC during the 1st round a few years ago to support Ozzie. I've worn my blues Drake jersey in Chicago... I have one or two for every occastion ;)

Come on OsGOD. Those are bad examples. Toronto and Chicago fans are very lame. ;)

This is why you don't where your own teams jerseys at a visiting teams arena. I know it's great to show support for your team, but you could actually put your life in danger when meeting the wrong people.

My point is this: While I understand wanting to show support for your team, it's dangerous to go to a visiting teams arena wearing the other teams jerseys. It just is. Too many people get drunk and go crazy and even attack people, like in this situation in Buffalo.

Pretty much my same stance too. I recognize how stupid people out there are - therefore why give them a chance to act on that stupidity?

It's cool for people who want to (Os, that's awesome that you do, no doubt!), and it's not out of fear here--I'd simply go nuts on anyone who started in on trying to assault me or my company at a game. I don't tolerate any of that out of people. In addition to all that, it shows how worthless and mindless those people are if they're going to attack another human being - over a sports game.

Come on OsGOD. Those are bad examples. Toronto and Chicago fans are very lame. ;)

^-- Hahaha! :clap:

If you can't go to another team and wear your colors, that's just SAD. We are fans, not psychos.

edit: And of course it's bad if ANYONE gets beat down man or woman, but that fact that it was men attacking women makes it worse IMO because they probably were outmatched. It would be worse if it was children, too, but I wouldn't call that ageist :P

Edited by Offsides

Well to be fair... Ottawa and Buffalo seem pretty damn lame also and lookie lookie who this thread is about. so you never know.

It would be worse if it was children, too, but I wouldn't call that ageist :P

Dammit... and I was SOOOO looking forward to kicking that kid in front of us in the teeth.

Edited by OsGOD

Everyone is overlooking the good from the article. other fans came to her aid and held the asshats until the police came. At many soccer games mob mentality kicks in and a crowd brawl breaks out. Or in other situations the fans just watch like it is part of the show.

These guys were asshats and I am sure that they will be prosecuted correctly. If I were running the Sens then I would make a big deal out of this. Denounce the fools, and then give free tickets (to the team booth) to the lady and the two who stepped in to save her. Let them come to the next playoff home game. This way they as an organization get some free publicity and they can reward the good samaritans who saved the ladies life wile apologizing to the lady for her pain. Not that it was there fault but they are putting on the show so they should do something nice.

Anyways I am glad to hear that some fellow hockey fans did the right thing and kept the fools for the cops to deal with.

:clap:

Guest Crymson

******* assholes. Any man that even lays a finger on a woman is the most lowest scumbag on earth.

What about a woman who lays a finger on a man, or a man on a man, or a woman on a woman?

It's no difference, unless you want to paint your sex as the weak one. That's a construct; it's just not true, and it's your loss if you want to disempower yourself.

Let me put it this way; I do see some girls in the weight room who are very strong. Well, two of them, actually. Why are there only two? Because they're the only ones who come in there and lift for strength.

/gender roles discussion

It's genetic that most men are stronger than most women...sorry gals it's true.

I remember trying to arm wrestle even the skinny armed puny guys and I could not win.

Maybe body builder women, but most of us aren't that. It's not to say women can't be tough, but c'mon.

Women, if they try, can indeed build a considerable amount of muscle. See my above comment. Also, it doesn't take strength to do damage. I guarantee you I could maim anybody who came at me, no matter the size. Go for the eyes, ears, nose and privates. That's all it takes.

Chivalry and equality do not mix. FYI, chivalry stems from the dark ages, in which women had no rights; sure, the man did everything for the woman, but he also held the power of life or death over her and she had zero say in anything. Women were second-class citizens back then; THAT was the basis of chivalry.

You can't have equality on one hand and special treatment on the other. I see PEOPLE as equals; that's it. Women are capable of everything that men are; like I said to HC, if you want to disempower yourself by making excuses for gender, that's your loss.

Edited by Crymson

Forgive me for waxing a wee bit sarcastic, but in what world do you guys live where this is even mildly shocking news? Did you not see the video last year when the peewee football father attacked a player on the field for throwing what dad thought was a late hit on his kid? Dad weighed about 200 lbs, the kid maybe 70 lbs soaking wet, but that didn't stop him from going after a child. That incident made the national news (most likely because there was video of the horrific action), but never believe this was an aberration-- happens ALL the time.

Sports on any level can be tremendously inspiring, uplifting, even life-changing... unfortunately, it can also bring out the very worst in people (I was going to say "the animal in people," but that's a politicall incorrect animalist comment, and I don't need PETA coming down on me for it).

"Is there no standard anymore?

Re.Spect. WALK"

(I've had that song in my head since hearing it played at the Sens/Sabs game the other night)

What about a woman who lays a finger on a man, or a man on a man, or a woman on a woman?

It's no difference, unless you want to paint your sex as the weak one. That's a construct; it's just not true, and it's your loss if you want to disempower yourself.

Let me put it this way; I do see some girls in the weight room who are very strong. Well, two of them, actually. Why are there only two? Because they're the only ones who come in there and lift for strength.

/gender roles discussion

No one should lay a finger on anyone. Be it man vs. man, woman vs woman, man vs woman, woman vs. man. BUT I don't think it's THAT big of a deal if it's girl against girl or guy against guy.

Same sorta thing happened to me and my cousin last year. We went to Montreal for a hockey tourni and My uncle got us tickets to a leafs/habs game. We went and my cousin and my uncle wore there leafs jerseys while I wore my Yzerman jersey. A drunk Habs fan dumped his beer all over my cousins jersey(Which was a newly bought Wellwood jersey) My uncle got pissed and we asked the usher/person by the entrances to the arena seast things if we could move bcause of the fan. (Habs were losing 5-2 so , I thought something was gonna happen.

It happens everywhere , Its terrible , I cant beleive physcal harm came to a women no less from a couple of men. I hope they get there pants sued off and I really hope that womens alright. I saw it on TSN today and I was disgusted, Just terrible.