• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
calirye

Team Fans

Rate this topic

I used to live right outside of ann arbor and the fans for any detroit sports where quite intense there. It was there that i learned to love hockey and most of all the wings. Yet the season before the lockout i moved back to good old rochester new york where your a super fan in my school if you know 2+ players on the team and have a shirt that is remotely the same color on the local teams jersey.No one even was even aware that buffalo had a hockey team untill the sabres made the playoffs last year. I also heard that there is a strong chance that Buffalo will win the cup (Down 3-1 to Ottawa) and that the level of hockey is SOOOOO much better in the east than the west.

Is this just in my area or is this in every town in america because its begining to dirve me off the deep end?

Well here is some food for thought...

Chicago, they are best know for being Cubs fans, even though they have one of the original 6 teams. And when you say United Center in Chicago most people think the Bulls.

I find that it is very hard to find a hockey fan when you are not in or are in close proximity to a big hockey town. Like Detroit, or pretty much any team in Canada.

Its not just that the people who think their hockey fans don't know any thing. Last week a kid told me that "hasek had a awesome no-goaler"

i asked him if he ment shutout and he just look at me and asked me what that was. not everyone is like that but there are deffanately a few out there

Guest bullocks

the level of hockey is better in the WEST then the EAST. The teams are better, the teams are more physical. Whoever told u that the teams in the east are better is an idiot.

I live in NW Ohio-- lots of Bucks/Blue, Bengals, Browns, and Indians fans, but I really know very few people who follow NHL hockey whatsoever. "Hockey? Do they even play that anymore?" (seriously, I was just asked that the other day by a guy who is sport-mad -- of course he was kidding, but just goes to show the climate that makes that a joke to a non-hockey person).

In my own experience, around here it seems to be either/or not at all-- the very few people that I do meet that follow hockey are all extremely knowledgeable-- again, just this week, I met a guy who modestly claimed not to know much about hockey, then proceeded to enthusiastically talk Yzerman, Scotty vs. Babs, the Russian 5, the Av rivalry, Hasek, etc. etc.

It doesn't seem like many people get it around here, but those who do, really, REALLY get it (maybe that's the 'it' Corey Perry was talking about?!).

It's like the Harley saying: "If you have to ask why, you'll never understand."

I live in NW Ohio-- lots of Bucks/Blue, Bengals, Browns, and Indians fans, but I really know very few people who follow NHL hockey whatsoever. "Hockey? Do they even play that anymore?" (seriously, I was just asked that the other day by a guy who is sport-mad -- of course he was kidding, but just goes to show the climate that makes that a joke to a non-hockey person).

In my own experience, around here it seems to be either/or not at all-- the very few people that I do meet that follow hockey are all extremely knowledgeable-- again, just this week, I met a guy who modestly claimed not to know much about hockey, then proceeded to enthusiastically talk Yzerman, Scotty vs. Babs, the Russian 5, the Av rivalry, Hasek, etc. etc.

It doesn't seem like many people get it around here, but those who do, really, REALLY get it (maybe that's the 'it' Corey Perry was talking about?!).

It's like the Harley saying: "If you have to ask why, you'll never understand."

I can relate to this too, but wouldn't you say its pretty true that any hockey fan you meet around NWO is a Wings one and not a Blue Jackets? :lol:

And you're right, they usually know their stuff too.

I can relate to this too, but wouldn't you say its pretty true that any hockey fan you meet around NWO is a Wings one and not a Blue Jackets? :lol:

And you're right, they usually know their stuff too.

What's a Blue Jacket? :P

Actually, my best friend is a longtime Sabres fan and loathes the Wings (certain players excepted-- like the one in your sn!), but other than that, yeah.

Edited by RedRockit

San Jose is pretty into it...During playoff and the season and stuff all the buses say Go sharks on the digital thing, they have signes onmultiple lamp posts that say this is sharks territory, Even some of the fire engines have fins on them. I think most of us are so into the sharks cause minus the sabercats and stealth...who aren't really that popular..Sharks are our only home team

I used to live right outside of ann arbor and the fans for any detroit sports where quite intense there. It was there that i learned to love hockey and most of all the wings. Yet the season before the lockout i moved back to good old rochester new york where your a super fan in my school if you know 2+ players on the team and have a shirt that is remotely the same color on the local teams jersey.No one even was even aware that buffalo had a hockey team untill the sabres made the playoffs last year. I also heard that there is a strong chance that Buffalo will win the cup (Down 3-1 to Ottawa) and that the level of hockey is SOOOOO much better in the east than the west.

Is this just in my area or is this in every town in america because its begining to dirve me off the deep end?

I wouldn't sweat it so much. You like the sport, you like watching it, that's all that matters.

Not many people are aware of the NHL playoffs down here. I know of one pretty good sports bar that has consistently shown the playoffs, but that's it. Doesn't really bother me, cause watching hockey and being a Red Wings fan makes me happy. Don't care if it is unorthodox or against the norm with sports culture down here.

First question to ask someone if you want to know if they are a hockey fan or not - Do you watch the NHL Playoffs? If they respond in the affirmative, you know they aren't real fans. There is no such thing as the NHL Playoffs. There is, however, the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

With that said, would you all ever want hockey to get as big as the MLB or NFL?

Its not just that the people who think their hockey fans don't know any thing. Last week a kid told me that "hasek had a awesome no-goaler"

i asked him if he ment shutout and he just look at me and asked me what that was. not everyone is like that but there are deffanately a few out there

The kids at the hockey rink I'm around consistently use "no goalers" for zero score games these days. The " younger generation" has their own language that unless you're around them, you just can't keep up with.

And I've always thought a shutout was baseball talk myself even though I know it's a generic term for a no scores by the opposing team.

First question to ask someone if you want to know if they are a hockey fan or not - Do you watch the NHL Playoffs? If they respond in the affirmative, you know they aren't real fans. There is no such thing as the NHL Playoffs. There is, however, the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

So because I'm not "gramatically correct" I'm not a real fan? Please, spare me the snobbiness. :rolleyes:

I'm not a real fan?

I finally started watching hockey around my teenager years in the mid-90s. I've lived in a city/market where hockey is all but non-existant. Even when New Orleans had a minor league hockey team for a few years in the late 90s, they weren't the main squeeze of the own.

I started watching and understaing hockey, getting familiar with the rules and such before the Red Wings won a Cup. I continued watching after the lockout when the NHL was on thin ice, and I still watched the Detroit Red Wings nearly every game this year even after the familiar names changed with Yzerman retiring and Shanahan playing on the Wings nearly every year since I started watching them. I flew to Detroit for the first time ever two seasons ago to attend a few games live, and did the same this season. But I guess since it was the regular season that I saw games instead of the NHL PLAYOFFS (oops I mean STANLEY CUP PLAYOFFS for the snobs), my fan status is in question.

So spare me the I'm not a real fan bulls***. :rolleyes:

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

:blink: WTF? :blink:

National Hockey League = NHL... Hockey played after April 8th is Playoffs ergo... NHL PLAYOFFS is what we are watching... Perhaps his is just not snobbish as you are trying to be, correcting him by interchanging the text Stanley Cup in front of Playoffs. NHL and Stanley Cup are interchangeable with respect to this time of year. :rolleyes:

Edited by OsGOD

i'd hope you aren't done with this argument because thus far your point has not been made.

these are the nhl playoffs and semantics or choice to use a different terminology doesn't prove anything.