• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DraperFan MN

My idea for NHL Re-Alignment

Rate this topic

Recently, I had a ton of downtime at work, and I put a lot of thought in to this and got some stuff down on paper. What I have come up with is conference and division alignments that will allow every team to play each other at least once and more importantly, put Detroit in the Eastern Conference. Go ahead and read the attachment below. There are going to be things that catch your eye and you will have questions about, but read my explanations first before bashing the proposal.

I heard Gary Bettman say to the guys on Sports Inferno (radio show on WXYT in Detroit) regarding the difficulty of re-alignment, "Our problem is, most of our teams are in the Eastern Time Zone."

This is true, because under his watch he added Nashville, Columbus, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, and Florida among other teams. This realignment I have put together makes the Eastern Conference the heavier conference as far as number of teams, but this will allow for future business and solve the problems caused by previous expansion with, (yes I know), more expansion. The cities I suggested for expansion make sense for the following reasons:

Portland or Seattle - These cities could easily support a hockey team and have a history of hockey in their market.

Kansas City - They were lobbying HARD for the Penguins. The arena is almost built and would be a no brainer for any prospective owner. A natural rivalry would exist between this team and St. Louis

Las Vegas - Both the NBA and MLB are considering expansion into this market. Beat them to the punch. Plenty of people from out of town consistently present, and the permanent population is growing by the minute.

You'll also notice the scheduling is only for 72 Games. This would be a sell for the players. With expansion, the number of games will increase, and if expansion occurs, there is room to gradually increase to 82 games.

I don't think this solves all problems and it isn't perfect. With that said, IMO, it is a helluva lot better than what the NHL and its fans have right now, it allows for future business as the game grows, and only serves to enhance regional television markets as far as scheduling is concerned. This will also grow the fan base because fans will have the opportunity to see all teams in person at least once every other year (every year on TV) due to rotation of home and away for inter-conference games.

Furthermore, I also think this will place more importance on the regular season. While divisional play is weighted heavier, it isn't so much more that rest of conference and inter-conference play do not mean anything.

Guest bullocks

Kansas City is a joke. I agree with Portland and Las Vegas tho...Las Vegas doesn't want a basketball team anymore after the all-star game how they held it and it was a disappointment lol there turning to hockey now.

Kansas City is a joke. I agree with Portland and Las Vegas tho...Las Vegas doesn't want a basketball team anymore after the all-star game how they held it and it was a disappointment lol there turning to hockey now.

What exactly was the problem? It just wasn't supported by the city, or were the players staying out all night getting into trouble?

What exactly was the problem? It just wasn't supported by the city, or were the players staying out all night getting into trouble?

Please don't hijack this thread, I really want to know what people think of this idea, good and bad.

I love the division you put the Wings in. :P

Hmm, as for your expansion teams... it's ok. Seattle or Portland I'm not all that big on, since Seattle especially has a lot of Canucks fans already.

Las Vegas would could be considered a big market, since it's a huge city, and has a lot of nourthern transplants. I think they could make it.

Kansas City I'm a little weary of though, probably the most of all your suggestions. Obviously they made a big push for the Penguins, but the city has already failed in the NHL before. That being said, Minnesota and Atlanta all had teams moved and were given teams once again, so you never know. The new team might just work out.

I'd say the chances of the NHL expanding any more in the near term (say 10 years or so) is really about slim to none.

They proven many a wrong before. With Bettman running the seams, don't rule it out.

How are the playoffs done? If they're set-up the same is right now, then this heavily favors teams in the Western Conference. Much easier to be in the top 8 of 15 teams then in the top 8 of 18 teams. Were you planning on disregarding conferences when it comes to playoff seeding? i.e. Taking the top 16 teams regardless of conference?

Edited by Jamaica Jon

What about Salk Lake City? Big population, always cold over their so I'm guessing they like skating, and no NFL or MLB team. I also think Texas deserves more then just one team.

While I am a American, I am a strong supporter of expanding more in Canada. I think we need more Canadian teams. Winnepeg can support one.

Anyways, I like the map they have in wikipedia of the current teams;

IPB Image

The West looks so damn empty!! Check this out;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_metropolitan_area

Houston and Portland looks like a no brainer to me!

Edited by Chaldean

How are the playoffs done? If they're set-up the same is right now, then this heavily favors teams in the Western Conference. Much easier to be in the top 8 of 15 teams then in the top 8 of 18 teams. Were you planning on disregarding conferences when it comes to playoff seeding? i.e. Taking the top 16 teams regardless of conference?

I thought about playoffs, but after going over countless scenarios, I just decided they would remain the same. Yes, easier for the Western Conference teams. With that said, which conference is it more difficult to make the playoffs in currently? I think this is a small thing big picture. The more pressing concerns are overall scheduling, tv exposure, and regional rivalries which make sense.

What about Salk Lake City? Big population, always cold over their so I'm guessing they like skating, and no NFL or MLB team. I also think Texas deserves more then just one team.

While I am a American, I am a strong supporter of expanding more in Canada. I think we need more Canadian teams. Winnepeg can support one.

Anyways, I like the map they have in wikipedia of the current teams;

IPB Image

St. Lake City is certainly a possibility, but I really do not know what they would be like as a hockey market.

Houston or Austin could probably be a good place for a team too

Houston maybe, but Austin....I just don't think Austin is realistic....The Ice Bats can't get people out to those games consistently.

Guest bullocks

i can't remember to be honest with u. but they want a hockey team now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

Nashville has no damn reason to be in the buttom - move the team out west!! edit; ok a 90% is considered a success I guess...5 of the top 10 teams in attendance are Canadians!! They deserve more teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_1...areas_in_Canada

Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hamilton.

Edited by Chaldean

Though, I like your format, I think having the Western teams playing their division 10 times a season is RIDCULOUS. :lol:

People complain about 8 being too much.

However, I do love your Great Lakes Division :)

Though, I like your format, I think having the Western teams playing their division 10 times a season is RIDCULOUS. :lol:

People complain about 8 being too much.

However, I do love your Great Lakes Division :)

That would be to start....once expansion occurs, this amount would decrease....The increased amount at first would also serve to strengthen rivalries in the Central Division of the Western Conference that currently are not there. While I agree it is not optimal to start with it keeps the amount of divisional games consistent between conferences.

Yeah, I really like the Great Lakes Division, although Montreal is a bit of an oddity there.

Edited by DraperFan MN

Yeah, I really like the Great Lakes Division, although Montreal is a bit of an oddity there.

If we go by geographical stages, Columbus or Philly should be in the Great Lakes division over Montreal. I'd still prefer Montreal though, for obvious reasons. ;)

i like the idea, but why would you have columbus in south central and kansas city in the central? why not flip the two? I also think Winnipeg, Kitchner, Hamilton, or Quebec would be great places for new teams esp Winnipeg and Quebec.

Damn fine idea DF, damn fine idea. I like the way you put things together. :thumbup: If I could make a few of suggestions... :sly:

Take Chicago out of the Western-Central and move them to the Eastern-Great Lakes.

Push Nashvegas into the Western-Central to take Chicago's spot.

Slide s***sburg over to Eastern-South Central.

Rename the Western Conference the (Clarence) Campbell Conference.

Rename the Eastern Conference the (Prince of ) Wales Conference.

Rename the Eastern-South Central Division the Southeast.

Bring back division names Norris and Smythe, Adams and Patrick, if so inclined.

It broke my heart to see Chicago all alone in the West. Put 'em all in one conference to address

The more pressing concerns (of) overall scheduling, tv exposure, and regional rivalries which make sense..
:clap:

Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, and Montreal in one Divison?!? Niiiiiiiiiice Now all we gotta do is figure out how to get New York and Boston into the Great Lakes Division.... :siren:

EDIT - See if you can figure out a way for a piano to fall on Dollar Bill Wirtz'esses noggin. :ph34r:

Edited by NKYWingsFan

i like the idea, but why would you have columbus in south central and kansas city in the central? why not flip the two? I also think Winnipeg, Kitchner, Hamilton, or Quebec would be great places for new teams esp Winnipeg and Quebec.

Answer: Time Zones, I tried to keep teams in the same time zone whenever possible, also, I structured things the way I did based on the teams we currently have, and the teams in parentheses are only possiblilities for expansion. If expansion occurs, then maybe restructuring the alignment could happen, but we have to start from somewhere.

Damn fine idea DF, damn fine idea. I like the way you put things together. :thumbup: If I could make a few of suggestions... :sly:

Take Chicago out of the Western-Central and move them to the Eastern-Great Lakes.

Push Nashvegas into the Western-Central to take Chicago's spot.

Slide s***sburg over to Eastern-South Central.

Rename the Western Conference the (Clarence) Campbell Conference.

Rename the Eastern Conference the (Prince of ) Wales Conference.

Rename the Eastern-South Central Division the Southeast.

Bring back division names Norris and Smythe, Adams and Patrick, if so inclined.

It broke my heart to see Chicago all alone in the West. Put 'em all in one conference to address

Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, and Montreal in one Divison?!? Niiiiiiiiiice Now all we gotta do is figure out how to get New York and Boston into the Great Lakes Division.... :siren:

EDIT - See if you can figure out a way for a piano to fall on Dollar Bill Wirtz'esses noggin.

Yeah, Chicago as the lone O-6 team out west looked weird to me too. The idea of your movement of teams is certainly palatable. Chicago in the Great Lakes division is VERY desirable, and Pittsburgh in the East - Southcentral could be sold.

My question would be removing Nashville from a division where two very natural regional rivalries could exist with Atlanta and Carolina. I know people here on this board might be inclined to say "Who cares about Nashville", but I know Legionnaire and other Nashville fans would rather be playing Carolina and Atlanta more throughout the season than Minnesota, St. Louis, and Dallas. (BTW, Minnesota and Dallas is not a geographic rivalry

I have to be truthful. When considering these options, the sad state of affairs that is the Chicago Blackhawks led me to put them out west. While they are an 0-6 team, the organization and its fans need a change. Being in the same division as Detroit year after year has just destroyed the self-confidence of that organization. :P

I like where you put Detroit. It'd be nice to play teams in our own time zone for a change. I think a team in Vegas may be risky because if you remove the tourists, it doesn't seem all that large. On the other hand, it could work because of the gambling aspect. I think Seattle and Portland are good ideas also but noticed only 15 teams in the western conf as opposed toi 18 in the eastern. I personally wouldn't mind seeing 36 teams but realistically it will never happen. But if it did to even the 2 conferenses out, I would consider a team in maybe Green Bay, and possibly Alaska or another canadien team. I'm not sure of what provinces are available as I don't know Canada but that would even the conferences out more. Just a thought.

I like where you put Detroit. It'd be nice to play teams in our own time zone for a change. I think a team in Vegas may be risky because if you remove the tourists, it doesn't seem all that large. On the other hand, it could work because of the gambling aspect. I think Seattle and Portland are good ideas also but noticed only 15 teams in the western conf as opposed toi 18 in the eastern. I personally wouldn't mind seeing 36 teams but realistically it will never happen. But if it did to even the 2 conferenses out, I would consider a team in maybe Green Bay, and possibly Alaska or another canadien team. I'm not sure of what provinces are available as I don't know Canada but that would even the conferences out more. Just a thought.

A team in Alaska would never happen, if not for anything, travel time and expenses. You're not the first person to suggest another team in Canada, but in response to you and many others, there just is not another market in Canada that can realistically support an NHL franchise. A team in Wisconsin could be interesting, but the most likely city would be Milwaukee, and I don't know if they could absorb another franchise and how revenue could or would be shared with the Bucks since that is likely where they would play.

To all posters...

While this thread certainly brings expansion into the discussion. It is not the main point. The main point is how to re-align now, with what the league currently has. Please remember this as you are posting. Some have given some good feedback, but some are waaaay off track from the main idea.