• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeyCrazy3033

Lilja deserves props

Rate this topic

Yeah I really felt bad for him, he's been playing soooo well this playoff.

Not getting a 2nd goal when we were up 1-0 was the reason we lost, not Lilja's turnover. Plus he scored our only goal. I hope people don't forget that.

Guest bullocks

Yeah I really felt bad for him, he's been playing soooo well this playoff.

Not getting a 2nd goal when we were up 1-0 was the reason we lost, not Lilja's turnover. Plus he scored our only goal. I hope people don't forget that.

i was saying to myself..."we need an insurance marker"...but when it got down to 5 mins left in the third i thought we had it...but obviously, we all know how it turned out.

No blame on Lilja, he scored the goal. Holmstrom had a couple of chances to put us up by 2, and Lids hit the post - not to mention Franzen's botched clearing attempt in the last minute. Its just the way the cookie crumbles. Props to Lilja. The Wings will pick themselves up and win game 6. Im sure of it.

It isn't Andreas' fault, whatever else anyone thinks. It's just one of those "compost occurs" things. Hold your head up, Andreas, you've nothing to be ashamed of.

It's ridiculous to blame Lilja for the loss...the blame should lie on the rest of the team, who failed to score an insurance goal or two.

After Lilja scored and the game continued on at 1-0, I grew increasingly nervous when the Wings kept getting chance after chance after chance to no avail. Mickey Redmond's words echoed in my head, "all it takes is one mistake, one good shot on goal and BAM! the game is tied." How often have we heard that from the Mickster, among others? A one-goal lead is barely safe in the regular season and it's practically a blinking red "DANGER ZONE" sign in the playoffs.

Still, I believe the Wings will come back and win Game 6...after watching the total domination by the Wings for the first 59 minutes of this game today, I cannot see how Anaheim will win Game 6. The Wings today, despite the loss, have proven they are the better team. What lost the game today is the lack of power play goals. If I was Babcock, I would do nothing but special teams at practice later this morning. When they get the PP going, look out! Ottawa here we come!!! :D

Guest Crymson

Lilja's disaster.

Big credit to him for staying after and talking to everyone even when he was completely down and out of it. I really feel awful for him. :(

It's not you fault, Lils. You tried.

That honestly made me want to cry. I used to hate the guy for not caring and not trying, but he has clearly stepped it up to the limit this playoff year; he has been quietly solid, reliable, and effective, and has been a great team player. I felt extremely happy for him when he scored that goal. I did not feel a single bit of animosity toward him when he made that turnover, only sorrow; he has been playing his heart out, and his first mistake of these playoffs was not enormous in magnitude but was regrettably enormous in effect. Everyone makes mistakes; I just hate to see such a hard-working guy have to handle the guilt from something like that.

Thumbs up, Lils-- I know most of us here are still behind you.

Edited by Crymson

That honestly made me want to cry. I used to hate the guy for not caring and not trying, but he has clearly stepped it up to the limit this playoff year; he has been quietly solid, reliable, and effective, and has been a great team player. I felt extremely happy for him when he scored that goal. I did not feel a single bit of animosity toward him when he made that turnover, only sorrow; he has been playing his heart out, and his first mistake of these playoffs was not enormous in magnitude but was regrettably enormous in effect. Everyone makes mistakes; I just hate to see such a hard-working guy have to handle the guilt from something like that.

Thumbs up, Lils-- I know most of us here are still behind you.

Yeah, we need to find AT LEAST two or three.. haha..

I am not going to lie, I had tears in my eyes reading that about Lils.

I really feel bad for Lilly, I mean, it was his only giveaway in the whole game! Lady Luck really f***ed him over on that play. He made a ballsy play and I thought he'd pull it off but he got buried this time. He will bounce back. You know Nabokov isn't the only guy to whom those things happen. :P

And it was a dandy play by Selanne, had it been anyone else we probably wouldn't be talking about this today. Teemu can roof the puck with his backhand like the best of them. Credit to him as well.

Ducks beware... The Pain Train will be pissed and ready for game 6! :angry::boxing:

Red Wings in 7! :thumbup:

Guest Crymson

:lol: How about Calder and Hudler? Oh...and Ozzie of course?

Come now, how could you not blame Pavel? The guy chokes in the playoffs. EVERYONE knows that!

Nobody should be blaming only Lilja at all. You can't blame one player in a team sport .

Yet people will blame Lils, and Hasek, and the rest of the team for not scoring more. I blame our powerplay for being the biggest disappointment in the universe. I honestly don't care anymore if the Wings get a man-advantage, since I "know" they aren't going to score on it. :crazy:

Fortunately, most people in this forum actually watched all the games this season, and know how valuable Dom and Lids are to the team, and realize what a tough year Lilja has had -- only to turn it around in the post-season and play great. He deserves credit, not blame.

I also had tears in my eyes, seeing his reaction and knowing how crushed he must be about that turnover. We're behind you Lils, it's OK. The Wings will get it back tomorrow night!!

On top of how he handled himself after the game, he's been great for the past couple months. While people have noticeably seen how good he's been since the playoffs began, he was just as solid in the final two months of the regular season.

Chin up Lilja, we'll get 'em tomorrow!

Everyone on the Wings has made mistakes in the offseason...this one is just much more glaring due to the nature of it...can't knock him too bad for it...he's played great the rest of the time...totally solid for us...I predict that he'll come back with a real solid effort tomorrow, win or lose. It'll be a shame if this taints an otherwise fantastic playoff performance from Lilja...

I'm seriuosly pissed off. Now before you judge me a hater let me explain, not at Lilja. This is a play that 99% of the time is no risk. He happened to hit the one bad bit of ice and one bad stick motion that combined to make a negative result. My opinion of Lilja has gone from Lang-like proportions to MVP and he just caught the bad end of a break. What pisses me off is how many times from '03 to present that the Wings have been caught in bad break situations. How many times have we outplayed the opposition and gotten beat by bad luck? As stated, how likely would that goal be if it was anyone other than Selanne on the ice?

In the end I hope Lilja doesn't take too much responsibility on this one. Franzen could have cleared it out, somebody could have been on Selanne, Hasek could have waited longer to commit. A bunch of cold've/should've worked together to make this play not happen. I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Lilja is back next year, he FINALLY proved himself to me despite this unfortunate result.

Wings outplayed these jags and here's to hoping that being the better team pays off next game! There's no words to express how much I HATE being the better team and losing. Wings have had the magic game 6 so far this playoffs, so best of luck to our guys!

I'm seriuosly pissed off. Now before you judge me a hater let me explain, not at Lilja. This is a play that 99% of the time is no risk. He happened to hit the one bad bit of ice and one bad stick motion that combined to make a negative result. My opinion of Lilja has gone from Lang-like proportions to MVP and he just caught the bad end of a break. What pisses me off is how many times from '03 to present that the Wings have been caught in bad break situations. How many times have we outplayed the opposition and gotten beat by bad luck? As stated, how likely would that goal be if it was anyone other than Selanne on the ice?

In the end I hope Lilja doesn't take too much responsibility on this one. Franzen could have cleared it out, somebody could have been on Selanne, Hasek could have waited longer to commit. A bunch of cold've/should've worked together to make this play not happen. I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Lilja is back next year, he FINALLY proved himself to me despite this unfortunate result.

Wings outplayed these jags and here's to hoping that being the better team pays off next game! There's no words to express how much I HATE being the better team and losing. Wings have had the magic game 6 so far this playoffs, so best of luck to our guys!

Completely right. Lilja has been very good and it was just unfortunate that the one small mistake he made became a huge goal for the Ducks. There were numerous opportunities for us to take a two goal lead that just didnt go in. Clearing attempts we missed and the power play was horrible. But the way Lilja handled it afterwards just show how it was known that there was more everyone could have done to win that game.

Completely right. Lilja has been very good and it was just unfortunate that the one small mistake he made became a huge goal for the Ducks. There were numerous opportunities for us to take a two goal lead that just didnt go in. Clearing attempts we missed and the power play was horrible. But the way Lilja handled it afterwards just show how it was known that there was more everyone could have done to win that game.

Maybe a rally point for the Wings? We don't have the presence of Stevie for a rally point, how about a win this one for Lilja rally? I'd love to see the team rally around the unsung heroes of this playoffs like Cleary, Lilja, and Holmstrom instead of the ever solid Drapes, Lidstrom and friends. This is a TEAM, and the best way you show off a team effort is making heroes of the least recognized people.

I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Lilja is back next year, he FINALLY proved himself to me despite this unfortunate result.

He is signed on next season - so you'll get your wish.