• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsfan101

Is this True?

Rate this topic

First off I am a new person and this board and I am looking forward to talk wings hockey with all of you.

I guess my friend was telling me that the team that has less shots wins 65% of the games in the NHL. Is this true??? or is this another is it a bunch of you know what.

First off I am a new person and this board and I am looking forward to talk wings hockey with all of you.

I guess my friend was telling me that the team that has less shots wins 65% of the games in the NHL. Is this true??? or is this another is it a bunch of you know what.

uhh i dont think so the wings usually get more shots than the opposing team and usually win

welcome to LGW

Edited by #19=Legend

I'm not a statistician, but here goes:

The average save % in the NHL is relatively constant (around 91-92%), thus more shots will (in theory) lead to more goals and a higher winning percentage.

I don't know if this makes sense, but it makes sense to me.

Based on my analysis the hypothesis is incorrect.

Welcome to LGW aka your newest obsession. I'm not sure about your stat there though... :huh:

Welcome to LGW aka your newest obsession. I'm not sure about your stat there though... :huh:

It could be true for this series as the team that has outshot the opponent has lost seemingly everytime.

It could be true for this series as the team that has outshot the opponent has lost seemingly everytime.

So you're saying we need to shoot less? :crazy:

Edit: spelling

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

I'm not a statistician, but here goes:

The average save % in the NHL is relatively constant (around 91-92%), thus more shots will (in theory) lead to more goals and a higher winning percentage.

I don't know if this makes sense, but it makes sense to me.

Based on my analysis the hypothesis is incorrect.

Don't think this is quite right. Your likelihood of scoring increases with more shots, but since save % is not constant from game to game there are no guarantees that more shots translate into more goals. This actually might not be that hard to believe ... sure, some games are dominated from start to finish by one team, and then they'd have more shots, but plenty of others start out with one team grabbing a lead and then falling back into a defensive mode. If they hold on, they would likely win with fewer shots.

Don't think this is quite right. Your likelihood of scoring increases with more shots, but since save % is not constant from game to game there are no guarantees that more shots translate into more goals. This actually might not be that hard to believe ... sure, some games are dominated from start to finish by one team, and then they'd have more shots, but plenty of others start out with one team grabbing a lead and then falling back into a defensive mode. If they hold on, they would likely win with fewer shots.

Yeah, probably not. I just thought I'd give it a shot. :D

So far in these playoffs, the team that outshoots its opponent has won 55% of the games. I believe this stat would be more greatly in favour of the team shooting more in the regular season since goalies stealing games in the playoffs is much more common.

Whoever said the team that shoots less wins 65% of the time is simply wrong.

Don't know about that stat but it seems like the visiting team has won about every OT game in this year's playoffs, including the Wings.

It is actually EVERY game in OT has been won by the visiting team involving the Wings. The Wings are 2-0 in OT on the road and 0-2 at Home.

In terms of the entire playoffs, the road team has an OT record of 12-5.