• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

19 C

Chelios not shaking hands . . .

Rate this topic

Hey, chill the F out dude. Don't let somebody ruffle your feathers. You seem to be a reasonable bloke. But don't start dropping F-bombs and trying to fight the whole board. Remember, this is our house, you're just a guest here.

Pssssst - he can't answer you.

If Pronger or one of the Neidermayer's didn't shake hands you guys would be all over it. Chelios is the oldest player in the league and he should know better.

I really really think that the people who feel this way are too young to remember how dirty Chelios used to play.

Guest micah

"I really really think that the people who feel this way are too young to remember how dirty Chelios used to play."

He really was a tool, it's true. He was the worst kind of dirty player - I can respect a Probert who runs a goalie but at least has the balls to man-up and fight your toughest guy afterwards. Chelios was a cowardly cheap-shot artist who would goon it up against star players and turtle from tough guys. He has done things that make Pronger look like a saint.

a good role model to the kids??? absolutely!!!!! why should a team that embodies everything thats wrong with sports today be respected with a handshake? youre full of s*** or stupid if you cant admit that the Ducks are a classless bunch of goons that dont EVER deserve the cup. the ducks first goal was set up and scored by 2 players who, in my opinion, shouldnt even be playing right now. i love cheering for a team that win or loose is never a tarnish on the league. if anyoe has been around long enough to know when to not shake hands, its Chelios. i gaurantee you that the majority of the redwing roster didnt want to shake hands but bottom line they still have something to loose.......chelli could give half a s*** about what all of you are saying, the man has been through it all. and he acted very appropriatly.

im so damn proud of this team and i cant wait until next year

LETS GO REDWINGS :!: :!: :!:

:clap:

I really don't care, I think he's earned the right to do this once in a while. We have absolutely no idea what really went on out there, there was a lot of trash talking going on, he was the receiver of a very dirty hit in open ice and in general the series was chippy and dirty, all coming form one team.

I didin't watch all of VS post game but I did notice him go over to the coaches right away and shake their hands, I thought that was strange and wondered right then and there if he was going to shake the teams hands.

Am I the only Wing fan that cringed when I saw Homer shake the hand of Pronger??? Homer kind of nodded to Pronger like it was all ok. To me it just symbolized how he were beat up and there was no real response. I would've loved to see us run Giguere once in the last game to get some momentum going.

Chelios is Methuselah on Skates, and he can do whatever he wants, for all of me. He shook the coaches' hands, from what I've heard. If he chose not to shake the hand of a player or players on the Anaheim bench, he must have had good reasons.

I honestly couldn't care less in this case if Cheli skipped the handshake. He has to live with himself, and maybe he just couldn't stomach it after what happened to Homer, and who knows what else. It's a non-issue in the bigger scheme of things.

PS - Icteria, we posted almost the same thoughts at the same time. At least you and I are in agreement! :D

Edited by puckloo39

If Pronger or one of the Neidermayer's didn't shake hands you guys would be all over it. Chelios is the oldest player in the league and he should know better.

I really really think that the people who feel this way are too young to remember how dirty Chelios used to play.

actually I wouldn't care at all. One less clutch and grad "norris caliber" defenseman to shake hands with.

Guest micah

"and maybe he just couldn't stomach it after what happened to Homer"

That's garbage. If he had a problem with what happened to Homer he should have manned up and done something about it, he had his chances. If he'd rather pout and refuse to shake their hands because he thinks they took liberties against us than I have an even lower oppinion of him than I did before. If Cheli thinks the Ducks are dirty, then Cheli should do something about it - well, something other than whine to the refs.

he must have had good reasons.

There are no good reasons. Could he really have something against the ENTIRE team not to shake any of the players' hands? Even if he did and even if every single Ducks player is the scum of the Earth, shaking their hands it was a true sportsman and classy player would do.

"and maybe he just couldn't stomach it after what happened to Homer"

That's garbage. If he had a problem with what happened to Homer he should have manned up and done something about it, he had his chances.

a kid sitting behind a computer screen telling Chris Chelios to 'man up" , are you kidding me??? How many shifts have you played in the NHL?

19C...Who really honestly gives a f***, he was one of our top defenceman this series played his heart out with Schneider out, what is to you if he didn't shake hands?! I dont shake hands with ppl I dislike or have no respect for, so why should it be any different for him?! He's human liek us thers no rule sying u must shake hands, if he shook the coaches hands than clearly there was somethnig going on cuz Cheli Never does that, jump off hsi back and shut the f*** up its none of ur business why he didnt and rly we shouldnt give 2 s***s i think we got more impiortant things 2 worry about than why Cheli isnt shaking hands, such as why we could only play 1 full period of hockey in the most important game of the yr, next yr boys... REISGN CHELI!!!! GO WINGS GO!!!

Did he shake the flames hands?

Maybe at his age he just plain out forgot he was supposed to do that. Old age an all.

All in all, I want him signed for 3 more years!

There are no good reasons. Could he really have something against the ENTIRE team not to shake any of the players' hands? Even if he did and even if every single Ducks player is the scum of the Earth, shaking their hands it was a true sportsman and classy player would do.

Absolutely! Finally some people that argree with me.

Shaking hands is the RIGHT thing to do. Step up and be a man and shake hands.... regardless of how you feel about them.

Did he shake the flames hands?

Maybe at his age he just plain out forgot he was supposed to do that. Old age an all.

All in all, I want him signed for 3 more years!

LOL

I'd love to see him signed for 3 years too!

I have to go against the tide here. Chelie should have shaken hands, period. If you're going to play the game, you respect the traditions that have been in place for decades. There's nothing that happened in this series that would give him a grudge against the entire team. They won fair and square (a debate for another time) and he should have been out there with the rest of his team.

I wouldn't mind hearing his logic, though.

I have to go against the tide here. Chelie should have shaken hands, period. If you're going to play the game, you respect the traditions that have been in place for decades. There's nothing that happened in this series that would give him a grudge against the entire team. They won fair and square (a debate for another time) and he should have been out there with the rest of his team.

I wouldn't mind hearing his logic, though.

:clap:

Best post in this thread.

If the wings won this series and someone from the Ducks refused to shake hands.... what would your opinion be then? I am saying that it's classless and unsportsmanlike NOT to shake hands. It's that simple. I guess I was brought up differently.

if we won and a ducks player refused to shake hands id consider it par for the course and i wouldnt lose any sleep

no, i dont think we were brought up differently. maybe it is classless NOT to shake hands but so are a lot of things the Ducks did in this series. i guess im just struggling to see why you make such a big deal out of chelios' actions and not the ducks

Guest micah

"a kid sitting behind a computer screen telling Chris Chelios to 'man up" , are you kidding me??? How many shifts have you played in the NHL?"

None. But I have stuck up for my friends and myself, even when the odds aren't in my favor. Black eyes heal much quicker than a reputation as a cheap-shot artist or coward do. I do believe that if I did play in the NHL, I wouldn't sucker classy guys like Yzerman, and I would shake hands after a playoff series like the good sport that I am.

My comment to Mr Chelios only applies if he avoided the handshake because he was angry at Pronger as Puckloo suggests. If that is the case (and I don't think it is) then Chelios should have taken it up with Pronger face to face.

I think even if you don't respect the other team, that you should respect the tradition, and shake anyhow. Why should you lower yourself to their level by not participating in it. Chris has a history of not taking losses well...See the Olympics.

I do the same thing, after everygame we have a team handshake. If the other team plays a hard fought game and beat us I gladly shake thier hand and congradulate them, if the other team beats us and they are dirty take cheap shots run their mouth, I simply skate off the ice with my head held high.

If we win a game and the other team is dirty I will still skate off the ice without shaking their hands. I think it was the same thing with Cheli, hes lost a series before and shaked hands with the other team. Its not about winning or losing.

Hands shakes are earned out of Respect for the other person, and The Duck's get NO respect, with maybe a exception of Selanne. Pronger HA, Fairy HA, that would be the day before I would shake dirty ass players like their hands and congradualte them.

good for Cheli I support you 100%,

If you've been in a similar situation you'll understand, everyone else will think Cheli was wrong in doing so. I however do not.