• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

19 C

Chelios not shaking hands . . .

Rate this topic

Who cares, im surprised this thread got this far. Blowing it out of proportion.

I agree. This is such a sophomoric thread. Is it going to affect your life that much that Cheli didn't shake hands. Who gives a rat's ass. Quit whining just because you don't agree with his decision.

I think even if you don't respect the other team, that you should respect the tradition, and shake anyhow. Why should you lower yourself to their level by not participating in it. Chris has a history of not taking losses well...See the Olympics.

wasn't Chelios the captain of that Olympic team in 1998? and didn't he pay for all the damage that was done to the hotel rooms? that's what I thought

He should've shaken hands.

I agree. He may not respect the Duck players, but he should have shown a little respect toward the bigger picture...being the game of hockey and the tradition.

Especially that he has been such a loud voice with regards to the players association.

Oh My God, how insensitive. Gee, call his parents, maybe they'll have a talk with him. Meanwhile, buzz off. Chelios is a #$%^&& baller and I support him. So there. :thumbup:

puh lease!!!!

Quit whining about it already! If a team pisses you off and you don't respect them, you don't shake their hands. Just because Cheli doesn't share your sentiment doesn't mean its wrong. Get over it!

Who the hell cares!? I honestly think this is the dumbest "tradition" in sports, eventhough everyone else seems to think it is so great. You are there to compete and win. You are enemies on the ice. If you want to be friends and shake hands, do it off the ice. Chelios nor anyone else for that matter is obligated to shake the opposing teams hands. 19 C get over it, seriously...

A lot of people, apparently. :rolleyes:

If Pronger or one of the Neidermayer's didn't shake hands you guys would be all over it. Chelios is the oldest player in the league and he should know better.

I really really think that the people who feel this way are too young to remember how dirty Chelios used to play.

I wouldn't. I would care the same amount I do about Chelios not shaking hands, which is not at all.

Perhaps 19C has been recently snubbed of a handshake s/he felt was due him/her and is taking it rather hard.

Good for Cheli!!

I'm glad he didn't.

Especially Giguere's, he has to be the biggest cheater in the NHL.

He'll get my respect when his protective gear is not in Hextall's realm.

Sore loser?

Again, if anyone's got a good reason and if anyone can get away with this, it's Chelios. I think Chelios is on a level of thinking that is so far above anyone else in the game right now...he has the blood-hungry warrior side combined with the fact that he is indeed 45 years old and he knows his time to quit will come soon enough...he loves the game like few ever has and has utmost respect for it and its players as evidenced by how involved he's been in trying to secure a strong and respectable NHLPA...that said, I've just got to believe he had his reasons, they were good, and though maybe not the most commendable move, if anyone can get away with it, it's Chelios. If anyone can make that stand, it's Chelios. There is no way in hell I'm going to throw him under the bus for this. Anyone who is, well, quite frankly, you must be a pretty new fan. Hope you're enjoying your ride on the coattails of the late 90's Red Wings bandwagon...

im like this...how much respect did he get from the ducks players and fans? alot has been said to him..about him. so i could see how he was treating it as a way to get them back even thought they won. but i also feel the time to shake hands is a time to drop all of that and do the right thing the REDWING thing. be the bigger man. but we may never know what really happened. maybe hull can tell us. :D

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Cheli shook Bert's hand after the vancouver series in 02 didn't he? And he had very heated battles...but I don't think Bert was very dirty in that series, just highly respected. Pronger was dirty. Maybe that's why.

Either way I don't agree with doing the hand shake thing just for the sake of tradition. If you don't respect the player then why bother shaking hands? Now if he respected all but 1 player, maybe he should have shaken everyone's except Pronger's or whatever. Or maybe he just felt like there's no way the Wings deserved to lose...i don't know.

be the bigger man

See, in my opinion, operating on pure speculation, I think Chelios may've been the bigger man in this situation. There is no real respect left in the game between players and that's why so many bulls*** plays happen. Teams like Anaheim embody this mindset and I think Chelios being the old-timer that he is said no, I will not give my respect to a team that embodies what is polluting and destroying the game of hockey. Short run hit...long run gain maybe if people actually start thinking about it...if people start asking themselves why they're not worthy of respect...idealistic maybe, but Chelios is the Father of the league right now if there is one and he's doing what he can to leave it a brighter and better place for all future players. I can't help but think in some small way, this has something to do with it.

I agree. This is such a sophomoric thread. Is it going to affect your life that much that Cheli didn't shake hands. Who gives a rat's ass. Quit whining just because you don't agree with his decision.

Even Randy Carlyle said Chelios came over and congratulated the staff and players and said good luck. He said its his choice to partake in the hand shake or not and he would think nothing more of it. I think this thread is ridiculous.

I wasn't really watching ofter the game and marking off the players on my naughty and nice handshke list,

but i was waiting to see if some of the mighty geese would take a run @ Dom when he was in line (some habits are hard to break) :sly:

Who the f*** cares... I dont shake hands with people I dont respect.. and i'm sure the same goes for Cheli.. The Ducks team is made up of world class goons and babies.. did you hear the things some of these guys said in the media.. god knows what they say on the ice... Cheli is a class act veteran guy, and if he didnt shake hands with them, he had reason.......

I am the same way dude. I respect what Cheli did.

I'll speak from an outsiders perspective here...outsider in that I am not a Ducks fan or a Wings fan and I really didn't have invested interest as to who won the series.

First off I'll commend Chelios in his play through out the playoffs. I was impressed with him and his effort. He definitely played a lot better than his age showed. Heck, he even netted a couple goals. I was really surprised by his play.

But his not shaking the other teams hands was disappointing and classless. I see a lot of you guys are giving him excuses, but nothing happened in that series that was extreme enough to warrant him not shaking the other teams hands because they played dirty. Chelios has been around long enough and has played through worse and dissed out his fair share of dirty play, so he doesn't get off the hook in that respect. I also a lot of you congratulating him which frankly speaks volumes of your home town bias. I don't wish to insult you, but it's really disappointing and stupid. Would have similar reactions if you beat the Ducks and Scott Neidemeyer skipped the hand shaking? I think not, and I am sure you would be up in arms as well. I understand that you need to defend you team as fans. That's fine, but you don't need to support it. You didn't see me in here clapping my hands when Mclennan battle axed one of your players. Now some Flames fans did, but they came across as homers and idiots in my eyes too.

In my opinion Chelios's actions came off as a pouting child. Obviously he had some sort of reason for not doing it. I don't really buy the theory that he did it because of the Ducks play, but it might be part of it. I think that since he is teetering on the edge of retirement that this was his last chance to win a cup. Perhaps him seeing the end of the tunnel just threw him into a fit.

Professional players need to put such piety things aside and show some respect. I don't care what his excuse for not shaking hands was, but it's not good enough. I didn't see anything in that series or even a combination of things that would allow him to do that. And I am not forgetting the Pronger hit. Playoffs are rough, he knows that, and he knows he shouldn't give him an excuse to be a classless player. Before you jump on me about the Pronger hit remark, whatever, he can shake the whole teams hands and skip over Prongers. But Thomas did?

I'll speak from an outsiders perspective here...outsider in that I am not a Ducks fan or a Wings fan and I really didn't have invested interest as to who won the series.

First off I'll commend Chelios in his play through out the playoffs. I was impressed with him and his effort. He definitely played a lot better than his age showed. Heck, he even netted a couple goals. I was really surprised by his play.

But his not shaking the other teams hands was disappointing and classless. I see a lot of you guys are giving him excuses, but nothing happened in that series that was extreme enough to warrant him not shaking the other teams hands because they played dirty. Chelios has been around long enough and has played through worse and dissed out his fair share of dirty play, so he doesn't get off the hook in that respect. I also a lot of you congratulating him which frankly speaks volumes of your home town bias. I don't wish to insult you, but it's really disappointing and stupid. Would have similar reactions if you beat the Ducks and Scott Neidemeyer skipped the hand shaking? I think not, and I am sure you would be up in arms as well. I understand that you need to defend you team as fans. That's fine, but you don't need to support it. You didn't see me in here clapping my hands when Mclennan battle axed one of your players. Now some Flames fans did, but they came across as homers and idiots in my eyes too.

In my opinion Chelios's actions came off as a pouting child. Obviously he had some sort of reason for not doing it. I don't really buy the theory that he did it because of the Ducks play, but it might be part of it. I think that since he is teetering on the edge of retirement that this was his last chance to win a cup. Perhaps him seeing the end of the tunnel just threw him into a fit.

Professional players need to put such piety things aside and show some respect. I don't care what his excuse for not shaking hands was, but it's not good enough. I didn't see anything in that series or even a combination of things that would allow him to do that. And I am not forgetting the Pronger hit. Playoffs are rough, he knows that, and he knows he shouldn't give him an excuse to be a classless player. Before you jump on me about the Pronger hit remark, whatever, he can shake the whole teams hands and skip over Prongers. But Thomas did?

I agree...that's why I was a little disappointed in Cheli.

But, everyone here is simply speculating. Cheli has been around long enough to know what's going on and I assume he made a decision he assumed was right. He doesnt need me, a 21 year old college student, putting him down on an online forum. It just seemed a little like poor sportsmanship.