• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

19 C

Chelios not shaking hands . . .

Rate this topic

Are we 100% that Chelios didn't shake hands??

I mean, I haven't read it anywhere in the news and I'm sure TSN would have been happy to mention it if true...

Maybe Chelios will be asked about it tomorrow afternoon if he does his radio interview, so calm down and wait !

I mean, I haven't read it anywhere in the news and I'm sure TSN would have been happy to mention it if true...

Maybe Chelios will be asked about it tomorrow afternoon if he does his radio interview, so calm down and wait !

CBC mentioned it during the game actually. Here is an article about it.

ven in defeat, some Wings still didn't want to accept that they lost to the Ducks. Most noticeably Chris Chelios, who didn't shake the Ducks players hands after the game.

"You know what, he showed what kind of guy he is," said Selanne. "It's easy to be a good guy when you have success but when something tough happens and you do that, it shows who you really are. I don't really care, all I can say is have a good summer."

Selanne, however, wasn't going to let anyone's sour grapes ruin his sweet moment as he looked back down at his shirt and smiled.

Link

I am sure some of you aren't going to like what Selanne said, but really I think he is pretty accurate.

I have alot of respect for Cheli, but he should have gone through the hand shake (skip Pronger if you want). Homer shook the goon's hand, afterall.

I'm hearing alot of speculation on this - the radio guys aren't sure if he did or didn't - I guess we'll have to wait and hear from Cheli himself. If he has some legit excuse - I hope he lets us know - or apologizes - I'd accept that.

While some of you are diminishing the hand-shake tradition - it's one cool thing the NHL does that no other sport has. And, imo, if you are wearing a Red Wings uniform, you are representing the team and organization - so shake their damn hands.

CBC mentioned it during the game actually. Here is an article about it.

Link

I am sure some of you aren't going to like what Selanne said, but really I think he is pretty accurate.

Thanks for the link.

Yeah and his reply is going to be that he had to get out of there fast so that he could TP Jiggy's house while he was still celebrating in the locker room

I should also add a :clap: for those of you that have your head screwed on straight and aren't supporting Chelios's actions. Good too see. Shows that you have some sense. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to supporting the actions of your team 100% without a critical eye.

If Chelios not shaking hands was (maybe) a lack of sportmanship, the fact that those ******* ducks put their Western champions hat BEFORE shaking hands was a total lack of class for me but again no surprise here...

It's a small detail but they could have waited....

I'm quite certain that in the years the Wings won their Cups some of the guys had their hats on when they were shaking hands with the other team...almost 100% positive

but if chelli is huge dick or whatever, why would he extend the gratitude of shaking the coaches hands and not the players?

something else lies beneath me thinks. i'd love to hear what he has to say about this.

and f*** selanne. actually f*** the ducks. what a bunch of whinny *******. when pronger ran homer did wings players ***** and moan? no. and what selanne should have said after that was "i didn't notice. or it doesn't really bother me. or its his decision, i would have liked to shake his hand but i can understand the emotional aspects." calling him out after the series is over? what a punk *****. sucks he is no longer in his prime and needs a gift from god like turnover and a blindsided hasek to score in the playoffs.

Like many people on here I grew up playing a boatload of amateur hockey and you always shook hands it was just part of the game. I never even considered not shaking hands. I was a very passionate player and as everyone knows in sports sometimes you do things you're not exactly proud of later down the line. I definitely dealt out my fair share of cheap shots and got tossed from games and suspended once or twice as a result. However, not shaking hands never even crossed my mind. No matter how much you hated the other team, it was part of the tradition of hockey. Try to take a guy's head off one minute, shake hands and have beers at the hotel the next. However, I have so much respect for Chris Chelios as an athelete and as a competitor that it's hard for me to feel negatively towards him because of this incident. I certainly wouldn't mind hearing an explanation but what can I say, Chris Chelios gets a pass on this one.

the fact that Cheli did shake hands with coaches but players is a statement itself.

A man does not shakes hands with these he doesn't respect! and it has nothing to do with sportsmanship!

I should also add a :clap: for those of you that have your head screwed on straight and aren't supporting Chelios's actions. Good too see. Shows that you have some sense. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to supporting the actions of your team 100% without a critical eye.

Like I said above - as long as he's wearing a Red Wings uniform - he has to do the handshake. If he's on the street and he wants to dis them, fine. But he's acting on behalf of more than just himself. I'd still like to hear what he has to say....

Who cares !!! Stupid tradition anyways. He shook the coaches hands and maybe he "should" have the players as well but whats the big deal. Is it better to skate by and say good luck and not mean it. As far as Selanne's comments go, he should keep them to himself. Did Pronger or Neids apologize to Homer for ramming his head in the glass and gashing him for 13 stitches? No they said it was a fair hit and the Canadian media of all people are blowing outta proportion. It works both ways, they were just as classless or worse in their actions. If cbc hadn't of said it would anyone have known?

Gee, more class. f*** you.

If you want my honest opinion on the Pronger hit, I think it was s***ty and if it was on one of our players I wouldve been mad as hell. I didnt buy the Rob stood him up excuse and think one game was lenient. Dickhead.

I posted here right after the Pronger hit and stated that I thought that it rated a 5 game suspension.

No homer glasses here. Enough with the goon and classless talk and the California fans suck crap.

I respect the Wings and their fans. I wished that I lived in a place called "hockeytown".

I love hockey and would never disrespect the game or my team by not shaking hands.

Honestly, this is being blown so far out of proportion.

It's a double-edged sword when you look at it. On the one hand, Anaheim is classless s*** and shouldn't deserve to even be looked at. On the other hand, Chelios should show some respect, at least to the ones that deserve it (which means skipping Pronger). I don't know what one is better.

So, with that being said, let's just move on and forget about it. It probably wasn't the right thing to do, but I do agree with his actions on some possible thoughts. Anaheim did not deserve to win that series. The Wings outplayed them by far, and they are a dirty team. Not to mention they have the worst fans I've ever seen in my entire life. Still though, it probably would have been better for Chelios to suck it up and shake their hands.

Oh well. Hey, he did shake the coaches hands at least! :P

Wow I'm very surprised to here that

I heard some people calling him a class act and even I (his biggest fan) can't agree with that, I mean he has done some pretty dirty things in the past.

But seriously, I wonder what the reason was for that, he better have a damn good reason

Honestly, this is being blown so far out of proportion.

It's a double-edged sword when you look at it. On the one hand, Anaheim is classless s*** and shouldn't deserve to even be looked at. On the other hand, Chelios should show some respect, at least to the ones that deserve it (which means skipping Pronger). I don't know what one is better.

So, with that being said, let's just move on and forget about it. It probably wasn't the right thing to do, but I do agree with his actions on some possible thoughts. Anaheim did not deserve to win that series. The Wings outplayed them by far, and they are a dirty team. Not to mention they have the worst fans I've ever seen in my entire life. Still though, it probably would have been better for Chelios to suck it up and shake their hands.

Oh well. Hey, he did shake the coaches hands at least! :P

Okay, that part about respecting Wings fans? You're making it hard.

Guest Agalloch

LOL, I can't believe there's a thread with seven pages about this. WHO CARES? It's not going to effect what happens with this team, or the NHL today, or ever. Maybe if Anaheim weren't a bunch of goons that put their elbows into peoples heads, he'd shake their hands.

Good for Chris. The only team that the team should've shaken hands with this postseason, win or lose, is the Sharks. They're the only hockey team we played.

Mind your own business. I support Cheli and don't need to hear from a fan from another team criticizing him.

The NHL is losing many of it's traditions... and this one shows how classy the players are.

He should have shaked hands this year and he should have shaked hands in 2003.

::edit for spelling::

Edited by vangvace

Guest jaytan

Obviously, he had an issue with their brand of play in this series. I don't have a problem with it, since I think it's an idiotic tradition anyway. Would you ever want to shake someone's hand when they just cost you a Stanley Cup? I wouldn't even want to look at them.

They say sports don't build character they reveal it.

I like Cheli. He's passionate, hotheaded, gritty.

still, unless he had a good reason, he should've been out there shaking hands.

Selanne's comments were suprisingly whiny in victory. they had to beat the refs too? :rolleyes:

Whatever Cheli had his reasons and knows more about the game, players, and traditions than all of you combined. So he didn't shake hands, big deal. Who's less of a man, him or the babies crying about it? I doubt the Ducks care one way or another. He probably felt robbed of that series and maybe a last shot at a cup. I support cheli 100%, and I hope he's back. Got a strange feeling he might end up with the Rangers though.