• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

Am I the only one who reacts this way?

Rate this topic

Ok, a little background here....

I have been a Red Wings fan since 1995. I really became a huge hockey fan back in 2000. Any kind of hockey on TV I would watch and I would attend any kind of hockey game in person that I could. I really got into the sport when I started playing goalie back in 2000 in ice and roller hockey. In my 7 years of playing hockey, I have come to appreciate the sport even more than I have in years past.

In my time following the Wings, I have felt a lot of excitement and heart break. Their 3 cup wins rank at my all time high of favorite moments. Their playoff exits to the Devils in 95 really depressed me to say the least. In short, I was quite emotional in the past.

It seems like since I have started playing hockey I have grown to understand the sport as well as enjoy it more. Last night, the wings played terrible through the first couple periods. You could just tell the ducks wanted it more by the way they were passing, shooting, driving the net, and hustling. The wings looked stuck in 3rd gear through most of the game. They made a good comeback at the end, but it just wasn't enough. That game last night reminded me of countless other games that I have played in personally where my team has underachieved and we couldn't pull out a win. The bad bounces like the wings had in game 5 and the fluke giveaway that comes back to bite you have reminded me of games that I have played in.

I am going to enjoy the finals, but not as much as if the Wings were playing. With only 7 (at most) games left in the NHL season before the long offseason, I am going to take my time and enjoy the games when they are on.

Hockey is a very unforgiving sport. You can do everything right and still lose games. I have come to understand that. It doesn't mean I like it though, but I understand it.

With a lot of people crying and upset this morning, I really didn't shed a tear for the Wings last night. You can call me obtuse or uncaring, but its just how I feel right now. It got me to thinking how many other people feel this same way or close to it? Or am I in the vast minority?

Ask this question next week. Right now, it's comparable to telling mourners at a wake that "Well, he had a good life, but life goes on. You really shouldn't miss him all that much-- I don't."

Some people get emotional about sports (go figure) and for them this is a harsh blow-- one they'll get over when the Sens bring IT to the Ducks.

Edited by RedRockit

Guest DetroitBoy313

First of all if your a grown man or woman there should absolutely be NO reason to literally cry over sports.It's a game,it's entertainment.I know though watching and keeping up with your team through out the whole season you actually feel like you know the players personally,we fall in love with our athletes.But there's nothing we can do,NOONE feels more s***ty than the Red Wings this morning,they are the ones that lost.I watch the game I get emotional screaming and yelling and going crazy when they score but when it's over it's over.I feel bad this morning because I feel the Ducks should NOT HAVE WON THIS SERIES.But they did,hats off to them.But that's whats great about being a sports fan those 2 famouse words........NEXT YEAR.

By no means was I happy we lost last night... but by watching the game regardless of the score, I did find something I was very proud of.

All playoff long, we've always kept it close, or we blew the other team out of the water. When they were up on us 3-0, we just played harder and worked for our goal. We didn't lower ourselves to cheap shotting the other team out of frustration or anger and I really respect my team for not sinking to that level. As you said, this is a very unforgiving sport and you can do everything right and still come up short. I think that's what happened to us last night. I knew from puck drop, the first goal was going to determine who would win that game. It's not what I wanted, but it's all about what happens on any given night out there on the ice.

I'm not ignoring the rest of the playoffs because we're out, I'll still watch... I'll just be supporting Ottawa this year ;) Last year I supported Edmonton for playing better than us and I felt they deserved it. Ottawa has done amazing things in the playoffs and I feel they deserve it more, so they're getting my support.

The best we can do at this point is just wait for the Cup to be awarded, and we need to start planning ahead for 2008. We might be out a goaltender, and we still need to make a decision on Bertuzzi.

First of all if your a grown man or woman there should absolutely be NO reason to literally cry over sports.

I must respectfully disagree with this one and confess to shedding a tear or two when Stevie raised the Cup in '97.

That being said, I was bereft over the loss on Sunday. This one, not so much. It's been a great season and I look forward to the SCF and the Cup going back to Canada. And of course, next year. :)

Just a little sidenote for the people who say "next year"

A buddy of mine saw Chelios at an arena watching his kids about a month after we lost to the ducks in 03 and my friend said "well there's always next year" and Cheli said "that's what losers say"

:unsure:

I too shed a tear or two (or 19) when Yzerman hoisted the cup in 97 but I would never cry over a loss. That really seems absurd to me.

I also shed some tears when I was at the Yzerman retirement game.

Never cry after you lose. Kick the cat maybe, but never cry. Either way I will not watch another single game moving forward until next year. If the Wings are out, Hockey's a distant memory.

Edited by HuntsVegas Baby

A buddy of mine saw Chelios at an arena watching his kids about a month after we lost to the ducks in 03 and my friend said "well there's always next year" and Cheli said "that's what losers say"

:lol::lol::lol:

That's awesome...he's such a badass, I'd love to meet him.

There are way more important things in life to cry over than a hockey game...like most of us here I absolutely eat, sleep, and breathe the Wings, and I live and die with every game...but crying over a loss is a bit much...I did when I was a lot younger (after Game 6 vs. Colorado in 1996, hated Forsberg since that day) and I didn't have many other things going on in my life, but there are more important things...I love sports but in reality it is only a game and not worth crying over

I really don't think any of us cried last night..... if you're 13 or younger... I'll let it slide... but even though we're all fanatic wings fans...crying over a loss is just childish and weird.

I really don't even think it's an issue though because I don't think anyone cried

The loss sucked sure, but as far as being the hardest pill to swallow ever in my life with the wings... not at all. Living and dying with the team during the mid-80's you really can't get too doom and gloom making it to the third round. Our future looks bright if the "uppers" don't F to much with the team.

The loss sucked sure, but as far as being the hardest pill to swallow ever in my life with the wings... not at all. Living and dying with the team during the mid-80's you really can't get too doom and gloom making it to the third round. Our future looks bright if the "uppers" don't F to much with the team.

you're right on there, OsGod. I have definitely seen much tougher situations to accept than last night's loss. Much worse. It's going to be an interesting summer, to see what the "deciders" do with our team, though, huh?

I'm bummed...but it didn't send me spiraling into a deep depression like last season's missed opportunity in Game 6 did. I said this in the GDT and I think it bears repeating: It hurts a lot more to lose a game you SHOULD have won (Legace's 3rd period meltdown in Game 6 against Edmonton) compared to a game you COULD have won (last night's 3rd period rally).

We won't win the Cup this year. But overall, I'm really satisfied with how this team meshed and came to play. I'm proud of our guys, especially players like Lilja, Homer and Dats who really shone in the playoffs.

For a team that was declared DOA post-Yzerman, I think we have a pretty bright future and we WILL win a Cup within the next five years.

I was at the game last night with a bunch of my neighbors who are big Ducks fans. Everyone expected me to be way more bummed out than I was. I was asked why I was being such a good sport about it, and I said that this stings way less than being swept out in round 1 in 03. To be fair, 16 straight years of playoffs is a bigger dynasty than the Ducks should ever know. I did tell my neighbor 'hey, looks like you guys got a lot of room for banners up there in those rafters' which he thought was a compliment. Silly californian.

I'm sad we lost, but at the same time i'm glad we got as far as we did. In the begining of the year almost everyone was saying we werent going to do good after yzerman and shanny left, but look how far we got. As long as the red wings remain one of the better stronger teams in the leage, i'm going to be happy with them.

In the begining of the year almost everyone was saying we werent going to do good after yzerman and shanny left, but look how far we got.

ABSOLUTELY! If I told someone I thoulgh the Wings were going to win the Central and battle all the way to the Conference Finals back in October, they would've looked at me like I had five heads. This team exceeded a lot of expectations. Let's be happy with that.

Guest jaytan

Back in the early 90s, I used to react rather violently when the Wings choked. In '95, I think I even tried to break the television set. In '94, I put a huge dent in my door. In '96, I cried like a woman and contemplated killing Claude Lemieux.

This year I sat calmly, ranting insanely on an Internet message board.... Have I matured? Perhaps.

I must admit that while I was calm in demeanor during the second period last night (I basically fully accepted defeat after their third goal), I felt like I had to suffer two losses after I turned the TV back on and saw our boys battle back and make all 60 minutes count. I threw a couple of beer bottles across the room after the final horn. :(

But that's whats great about being a sports fan those 2 famouse words........NEXT YEAR.

I hate that phrase. It always makes me think, "Next year, I'll probably be dead."

OsGod........................ you always make sense................... :)

By no means was I happy we lost last night... but by watching the game regardless of the score, I did find something I was very proud of.

All playoff long, we've always kept it close, or we blew the other team out of the water. When they were up on us 3-0, we just played harder and worked for our goal. We didn't lower ourselves to cheap shotting the other team out of frustration or anger and I really respect my team for not sinking to that level. As you said, this is a very unforgiving sport and you can do everything right and still come up short. I think that's what happened to us last night. I knew from puck drop, the first goal was going to determine who would win that game. It's not what I wanted, but it's all about what happens on any given night out there on the ice.

I'm not ignoring the rest of the playoffs because we're out, I'll still watch... I'll just be supporting Ottawa this year ;) Last year I supported Edmonton for playing better than us and I felt they deserved it. Ottawa has done amazing things in the playoffs and I feel they deserve it more, so they're getting my support.

The best we can do at this point is just wait for the Cup to be awarded, and we need to start planning ahead for 2008. We might be out a goaltender, and we still need to make a decision on Bertuzzi.

:clap: Very good post :clap:

That's what I love about the Red Wings. They don't resort to taking cheap shots when things aren't going their way.

Chelios is a competitor. In order to be good at any sport, you have to want to compete and in turn, win. As a hockey player who takes playing the game seriously most of the time, I can tell you that if you don't win your last game of the playoffs, you have an empty feeling. Its a sad feeling thats hard to describe unless you too are a competitor. My wife has a very hard time understanding it.

I remember last season in one of my ice hockey leagues when we got beat in the finals by a 4-2 score. After we got into the locker room, I was reflecting on that long ass 18 game season. From September - April we played hockey and I got to the last game and just couldn't get it done. I admit, I was bitter as heck. Sure, a few days later I felt a little better but at that point in time, I probably was thinking the same thing as Chelios was thinking.

So I understand where he is coming from. He plays hockey to win games. Imagine how he would be if he played rec league. ;)

ABSOLUTELY! If I told someone I thoulgh the Wings were going to win the Central and battle all the way to the Conference Finals back in October, they would've looked at me like I had five heads. This team exceeded a lot of expectations. Let's be happy with that.

QFT :)

See, from my perspective, I was happy the Wings did so well. I am very proud of them. The despair comes from knowing you will have to deal with all of the people who want to rip apart the entire team. Also, knowing certain players won't be back and some will have a big question mark over their heads pretty much bums me out.

Some people are just more passionate and emotional than other people about hockey...or about anything in life. It's just a difference of personality..nothing more, nothing less.

This year, I was exactly glad the Wings lost (far from it), but I was alot calmer than in years past because I was proud the Wings actually got as far as they did... now I hope they have a good offseason as far as FA signings go

I'm sad we didn't win because of all what we went through, and a little pissed we couldn't dig down deep enough to come up with two wins. When it mattered most the team didn't show up till it was too late. I was more pissed off at them losing game 5. But I WILL be back to watch next year of course. Even tho sometimes I might say I give up on the sport. I'm just addicted to it. It's the only sport I can watch and REALLY get into. I can't get into Basketball or baseball. I'd rather play them then watch them. I've been a Red Wings fan my whole life. My dad turned me onto hockey. He use to play it but just didn't have the legs lol.