• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ttbrunke

Dump Hasek, Play Howard

Rate this topic

Howards inconsistant AHL numbers didn't impress me this year. Just because he is the teams top prospect doesn't mean he should play right now.

SWF is right about how this organization is always playing musical goalies. Just look at the order of starting goalies for the Wings since before 1997. It's basically been this:

Osgood, Vernon, Osgood, Hasek, Joseph, Legace, Hasek.

I mean, this is pretty ridiculous when you think about it. For the past 10 or so years, we've used a total of 7 different starting goalies. Some teams still have the same goalie 10 years ago as they do now. I too, for once, would like to see the Wings not play musical goalies and just stick with the same tandem for more then one season.

Yet the Wings have won three cups in that time. :P

If Hasek stays I'd be perfectly fine with him and Ozzie.

If Hasek retires, then I'd like to see Ozzie be #1 and maybe bring in Howard to back him up or possibly a free agent.

Howard is going to be great for the future, but he's not ready right now.

Ozzie isnt a #1 goalie anymore. If Hasek retires, we need to sigh a FA goalie and give Howard another year.

If the Wings bring in anyone, it wont be to back Osgood up, and it should be.

it's a bit too soon to be talking about who'll be the starter next year... Until Dom says he's retiring, the Wings should keep him for as long as he's able to play at the top of his game. And he proved during this year's playoffs that he's QUITE capable of doing so. I agree that we do need to start cultivating Howard, but goodness gracious, when you have a guy like Dom in net, you don't need anyone else.

Guest redwings1927

It is too soon for Howard. The Griffins Head Coach siad he is not ready for the NHL just not this coming year. Resign Hasek please or if he does retire sign a mid level goalie for one year till Howard is ready. Hasek should not retire just yet please play for another year.

Uhh... with all apologies to the Ozzie clique, wouldn't it be better to do a Hasek/Howard tandem?

No.

[/font]

Due to his unique style, Hasek is a pretty bad choice to mentor a young technique goalie like Jimmy Howard. Ozzie has built his career on solid positional play and sound technique, so he is the much more rational choice for a partner to mentor Howard for long term gain. While Hasek certainly would have things to offer Jimmy, he would not be able to offer as much advice regarding how to play certain shooters 'oh, to stop Selanne, I just drop on my back, let the stick fall, and sort of slinky around' works for Hasek, but Howard probably would have trouble implementing that one.

Some teams still have the same goalie 10 years ago as they do now.

Washington and New Jersey only.

If Hasek retires, there is a very good chance that Detroit is added to that list, as Giguere is the only FA goaltender who would be an upgrade at the position, and the resulting salary crunch would hurt the team elsewhere more than it would help in net.

...I agree.

...lets go a step further. Dump the coaching staff, Hire Larionov and Festisov and any other Ov they would like to bring in!

...I am so pissed at Babcock for not pulling Hasek until 1:00 left!!! We frickin had possession in their zone with 2:30 to go!!!! HELLO!!!!

...ok,ok Sure, now is the time to cut our ties with the oldies and go young...

...Hasek would make a great Goaltender coach...

Edited by LeftWinger

I've never seen Howard play but looking at his stats in Grand Rapids I wouldn't call them anything earth shattering. He's still young, another year down there might not hurt.

I've always liked Ozzie, but I don't see him being the starting goaltender for us to bank on in the playoffs. We won a Cup with him back in '98, but that was a loaded, pre-salary cap roster that he played behind.

Let's hope Hasek comes back. And I don't even like Hasek very much....

Guest Crymson

I believe there is only one way to get experiance... and like ttbrunke said he will probably only face 20-25 shots a game... I say let him split time with ozzie this year, play half the games or so and see how it works out...plus if he hasnt improved much and we dont have much faith in ozzie come the deadline, try and get a better goaltender. But I think we should give him a try, if nothing else just to finally prove if he will work out or not.

Howard cannot win consistently at the AHL level. Releasing him into the far more difficult arena of NHL play will not make him better.

If you want to miss the playoffs, Starting Howard is the way to go.

Ozzie can still get 30 wins at the least. I could see 35 + at the most.

Howard can get maybe 3 wins , and 7 at the most.

:o

Wow he must really suck then. I mean REALLY!

Everyone said Howard wasn't ready last year.

I think its a good idea to play Howard and Ozzie.

Howard is younger and will become a great goalie so the wings don't have to play soap opera of the goalies every year.

Plus, Howard doesn't flop around and make snow angels like Hasek.

Everyone in the world knows Hasek is going to flop down so shoot high, and tada a goal!

Guest Crymson

Everyone in the world knows Hasek is going to flop down so shoot high, and tada a goal!

Gee, they must have taken a whole decade to figure this out--and many must still be totally unaware--as he still stoned many a shooter through this year.

Seriously, cut it with the dumb comments.

His flopping style won him 6 Vezina's in the past, nearly got him a Stanley Cup with a Buffalo team pretty short on starts, got him a Stanley Cup with Detroit in 2002, and played a huge part in nearly getting to the Wings to the SCF this year when nobody expected them to make much noise.

Guest Crymson

His flopping style won him 6 Vezina's in the past, nearly got him a Stanley Cup with a Buffalo team pretty short on starts, got him a Stanley Cup with Detroit in 2002, and played a huge part in nearly getting to the Wings to the SCF this year when nobody expected them to make much noise.

Yeah, the NHL must be populated by utter morons if they couldn't figure out that simple fact--wait to go down, shoot etc--in the 15 years Dom has been playing.

Yeah, the NHL must be populated by utter morons if they couldn't figure out that simple fact--wait to go down, shoot etc--in the 15 years Dom has been playing.

[/font]

Dom during his Vezina years was still susceptible to a good sniper who waited, but it was more than that. He looked great this year, but part of that was the Wings' D, and I'll tell you why:

Hasek, even at his age, can be damn near unbeatable if shooters can't exploit his unorthodox style.

If left alone for an extended time with a top scorer like Selanne, I would rather a goalie who played sound positional hockey like Osgood. That situation is a huge weakness for the less-spry and slightly slower Hasek of 2007 as compared to the Hasek of 2002 or the Hasek of 1998. However, because the Wings' defensive style this time around suits him very well--which I assume has to be an intentional coaching choice, that situation doesn't happen enough for it to be a concern.

A typical hybrid goaltender (Osgood or Brodeur, for reference) would be more consistently reliable in a one-on-one situation like that than Hasek would be, but obviously would be more prone to other more traditional exploits such as lateral passes to create holes. Obviously skill level plays a part, but as far as style, Hasek's style gives him advantages in a lot of areas while sacrificing in this one.

All in all, the only thing that matters is stopping the pucks. I don't care if you wear skates on your hands and gloves on your feet if you stop 98% of the shots you face doing it.