• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mikey_j

Potential New Arena Discussion

Rate this topic

With the land behind the Fox secured and largely cleared, the JLA lease coming up in 2009, and the need to demo JLA and Cobo Arena for the much needed Cobo Hall expansion, when will the new arena announcement come?

I've been expecting it would be this off-season. What do you think: after the SCF or closer to the start of the 07-08 season?

Not much news on that front, from what I've seen.

I'm sure you've probably already read this, but there's talk about the potential area for a new arena at DetNews.com. It's a month-and-a-half old story, mostly talking about the property that the Ilitchs bought.

The Wings lease on The Joe goes through the 2008-2009 season. Nothing will happen until after that.

Edit: Well, construction might be started and what not, but the actual arena won't open until then. The Wings won't vacate during the lease, unless they are under pressure from the city to do so.

Edited by Kp-Wings

Here is a weird thought, and by no means am I saying this will happen, BUT...

With all of the economic turmoil in the Detroit area do any of you foresee a possible move out of Detroit being forced by needing a new arena?

With all of the economic turmoil in the Detroit area do any of you foresee a possible move out of Detroit being forced by needing a new arena?

not at all. The economic problems lie within the city and the state.....not in Ilitich's pocket. As long as he's the owner, we wont have to worry about that a bit.

I certainly hope not. And I don't think so.

I'm so torn on this. I love Joe Louis Arena and have grown up attending games there, but I have started coming around to the notion that maybe it is time to move on. It will generate more excitement, perhaps the empty seats problem can be fixed, etc. But, gosh darn, I love the JLA. It will be very strange, at least for me, to see the Red Wings playing a home game anywhere else.

They may want to get out of that dump while they have the chance... Kwame is doing the entire Metro-Detroit area no favors.

Illitch will never leave Detroit though... He believes in it. Someone needs to.

The wings (and all Major sports teams in MI) will stay right where they are, especially with how successful they've all been most of them have been lately. The revenue that the city is bringing in is massive, even without the Joe selling out every game. I actually think I heard that in one month last year the Tigers brought more money into Detroit than the entire Superbowl week.

Also: I'm optimistic that we'll hear something about a new arena, but realistically these things are usually made public about a year before the grand opening.

Guest LivingtheDream

The Wings lease on The Joe goes through the 2008-2009 season. Nothing will happen until after that.

Edit: Well, construction might be started and what not, but the actual arena won't open until then. The Wings won't vacate during the lease, unless they are under pressure from the city to do so.

Well, that doesn't leave much time to build an arena!!!! Seems to me they need to start building asap.

I thought I remembered reading on one of these boards, maybe another one, that there was a rumour that they would announce new arena plans within a month after the playoffs ended...however, I also remember hearing that the plans would be decided upon before last Christmas, so it could be any time really

I strongly believe Ilitch has already decided to build a new arena and is simply waiting to have ALL the land in place before any official announcement. Remember when Comerica Park was being built? It was kind of a fiasco. Once they made the announcement, Ilitch still didn't have all the land, and the prices skyrocketed, and the owners who had already sold sued because they wanted the new high price instead of the old price, and Chuck Forbes made a big stink and they had to actually pick up and move his Gem Theatre, and the whole project was delayed years. Ilitch doesn't want to go through that again. He'll announce like the day before they break ground.

[Denial] What are you talking about!? there isn't going to be a new arena, the Joe will be around forever!

Steve Yzerman didn't retire, he's just resting [/denial]

Edited by Elshupacabra

No, the Wings need to stay in Detroit, that is why they are called the Detroit Red Wings.

Until the Pistons move to Detroit, I'm gonna call them Auburn Hills Pistons.

With the land behind the Fox secured and largely cleared, the JLA lease coming up in 2009, and the need to demo JLA and Cobo Arena for the much needed Cobo Hall expansion, when will the new arena announcement come?

I've been expecting it would be this off-season. What do you think: after the SCF or closer to the start of the 07-08 season?

Man seeing the word demo followed by the acronym JLA makes me :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Hopefully when they build the new arena we can break it in with some early championships to help give it some magic. There's nothing like walking in the Joe, the building has a presence of it's own just walking through and taking in all the history in the concourse, the beautiful blue ceiling :crybaby: Granted the bathrooms suck, and some things about JLA scream out of date, but I love the place its the only home of the Wings in my lifetime. Now I know how all the old timers probably felt when they left the Olympia.

Man seeing the word demo followed by the acronym JLA makes me :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Hopefully when they build the new arena we can break it in with some early championships to help give it some magic. There's nothing like walking in the Joe, the building has a presence of it's own just walking through and taking in all the history in the concourse, the beautiful blue ceiling :crybaby: Granted the bathrooms suck, and some things about JLA scream out of date, but I love the place its the only home of the Wings in my lifetime. Now I know how all the old timers probably felt when they left the Olympia.

Thats why I believe that the JLA should be renovated. Add a whole other top section for more seating.. make everything sparkling new! I don't want to lose the Joe!

Thats why I believe that the JLA should be renovated. Add a whole other top section for more seating.. make everything sparkling new! I don't want to lose the Joe!

I like this idea as well...but lets face it. Any renovations would require more time than the off-season allows. I really cannot think of any place that the team could play on a temporary basis at all. Maybe someone else can come up with something?

Where is there room to do that? In case you havent noticed the Joe practically butts right up against the Lodge on one side.

The Joe has only three things going for it:

1: Cool name

2: Place where Steve Yzerman played

3: No suite level between upper, lower decks

Meanwhile, it's ugly, it's in a godawful location, hard to get to, it's in the way of a desperately needed Cobo expansion, and it's got zero amenities. Renovation would require the team figure out some arrangement with the Pistons to temporarily play at the Palace, or use the Silverdome or something, because a renovation would take probably just as long as building a whole new place. It's time to retire the Joe.