• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mikey_j

Potential New Arena Discussion

Rate this topic

Whooaaa! Just think, "The Little Caesar's Barn." Don't like the sound of that at ALL!

Now Caesar Center I could handle but Little Caeser anything, not so much. Living in WIsconsin most of my hockey games are taken in at the Bradley Center for the Milwaukee Admirals, but I've also seen United Center and Excel Energy Center. None have the pure ambience of the Joe. But Excel with their state's highschool and college jersey collection just oozes a hockey history and UC's lounges just ooze comfort. Add the fact of concourses deigned with booths on the sides instead of the middle makes for a much more comfortable walking situation. That said, walking into the Joe's seating area I just look around and say to myself "the fit over 20,000 people here and it looks so small" is a stunning moment. It's an incredible place for a game, that old school barn type feeling but it's not much good for hanging out and socializing, the new places are better for that. I guess the question is do you try to combine the two or just strive to be the best game viewing destination or to be a real get-together place? I think combination of the two is the best bet and I have no idea how to do that, but then that's why I'm not an architect or an engineer. Milwaukee and MN seem to combine the two very well with wide concourses (without the plush seating of the UC) and great site lines (though not that oldschool barn feeling of the Joe while being in the middle of the city, not out on the edge of town. UC feels too high class citizen, Joe feels a little too small town, Milwaukee and MN feel nice and middle class which, myself being, feels most comfortable.

That said, mostly I agree with hating the corporate naming, but I also know that that's just the way things are going, so I better cope or be bitter all the time.

I think if they are going to build a new arena and do away with the JLA, they should at least not use a corporate name. The Joe, regardless of how it looks, is a classy place where a classy organization plays. I think by adding a corporate name to the new building, it loses a bit of the class we are known for.

Keep the class...Name it the SYA: Steve Yzerman Arena or GHC: Gordie Howe Center

I not the first one to think of the New Olympia concept, but I might be the first to illustrate how such a concept may be applied to the actual building, inside and out. Many of you may have seen the plan already. If not, check out New Olympia Stadium

Cool link! :thumbup: Thanks!

Diggin' the idea of two sports bars...double the number of places we can spend triple what we'd pay on the outside. Didn't notice if they kept the urine troughs or not. :thumbdown:

I certainly hope not. And I don't think so.

I'm so torn on this. I love Joe Louis Arena and have grown up attending games there, but I have started coming around to the notion that maybe it is time to move on. It will generate more excitement, perhaps the empty seats problem can be fixed, etc. But, gosh darn, I love the JLA. It will be very strange, at least for me, to see the Red Wings playing a home game anywhere else.

I feel you all the way. But it would be good for the city if they redeveloped the old JLA spot for a top spot for out of towners to come in and live it up, like how Chicago has it along the water.

I think if they are going to build a new arena and do away with the JLA, they should at least not use a corporate name. The Joe, regardless of how it looks, is a classy place where a classy organization plays. I think by adding a corporate name to the new building, it loses a bit of the class we are known for.

Keep the class...Name it the SYA: Steve Yzerman Arena or GHC: Gordie Howe Center

Did't Gordie howe use to have a Ice hockey Arena named after him for kids hockey back in the day?

I don't like it. I feel like when the montréal canadiens moved from the forum to the Centre Bell.

We have our own ghosts at the JLA. What will be the team without them??

Edited by Yzerman19

Now I know how all the old timers probably felt when they left the Olympia.

Easy there kiddo..... The Olympia sucked ass. Don't just ask me......ask my dad.....and uncles.....and grandma, and grandpa, and mom....and....

Let it go........

Would like to also add that the city wants the Wings out of the Joe as quickly as possible. The mayor has plans for the site already.

Probablly KwameeTopia.... (its his birthday present to himself) He can then eat all the steaks and lounge around wasting tax payers money without the fox 2 problem solvers on his ass... they will all be checked at the door. :lol:

Edited by OsGOD

I not the first one to think of the New Olympia concept, but I might be the first to illustrate how such a concept may be applied to the actual building, inside and out. Many of you may have seen the plan already. If not, check out New Olympia Stadium

Nice layout, but I bet that The Wings will set up a practice rink simular to Columbus.

I feel you all the way. But it would be good for the city if they redeveloped the old JLA spot for a top spot for out of towners to come in and live it up, like how Chicago has it along the water.

Exactly what would you put there? On the south is the river, so nobody's coming in from that direction. On the east is Cobo Hall. On the north is the Lodge Freeway. And on the west is the fenced-in Riverfront Apartments. Nobody is going to find their way to a club or bar located over there, that is the worst possible place. The whole parcel of land that the Joe is on is good for one thing and one thing only: Space for Cobo to expand.

For those of you who are hoping for a non-corporate name for a new arena, dream on. The extra revenue would be part of the whole point of having a new arena. Plus it would lessen the cost of building, so that Ilitch has more money to make it just that much nicer instead of cutting back. Oh, and it won't be Little Caesar's Arena, either. What would be the point?

Probablly KwameeTopia.... (its his birthday present to himself) He can then eat all the steaks and lounge around wasting tax payers money without the fox 2 problem solvers on his ass... they will all be checked at the door. laugh.gif

Not to derail the thread too bad, but let's give credit where credit's due: Kwame has managed to balance the city's budget against a declining tax base and without hiking taxes. Straight-up fat-cutting from the budget. I wasn't a Kwame fan during his first term but I'd say he's learned his lessons, done his due diligence, and straightened out the city finances. I only wish Two-Penny Jenny would learn the same.

Exactly what would you put there? On the south is the river, so nobody's coming in from that direction. On the east is Cobo Hall. On the north is the Lodge Freeway. And on the west is the fenced-in Riverfront Apartments. Nobody is going to find their way to a club or bar located over there, that is the worst possible place. The whole parcel of land that the Joe is on is good for one thing and one thing only: Space for Cobo to expand.

For those of you who are hoping for a non-corporate name for a new arena, dream on. The extra revenue would be part of the whole point of having a new arena. Plus it would lessen the cost of building, so that Ilitch has more money to make it just that much nicer instead of cutting back. Oh, and it won't be Little Caesar's Arena, either. What would be the point?

Not to derail the thread too bad, but let's give credit where credit's due: Kwame has managed to balance the city's budget against a declining tax base and without hiking taxes. Straight-up fat-cutting from the budget. I wasn't a Kwame fan during his first term but I'd say he's learned his lessons, done his due diligence, and straightened out the city finances.

And yeah... Getting your name on a building is a way to add extra revenue for the owner... I highly doubt he would use his own money to name it little ceasars.

I would say Kwamee hasn't fully learned everything

"He promised he’d reform but our Chief Investigative Reporter Steve Wilson has learned he’s at it again. We’re talking about Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and his penchant for enjoying the good life and leaving it to taxpayers and others to pick up the bills. "

Thats a nice little vacation : http://www.centralmediaserver.com/WXYZ/kilpatrickcheck.pdf

Edited by OsGOD

Detroit needs to expand and not just sit in one neighborhood "Greek" town. Plus Cobo Hall needs to be rebuilt and not expanded.

Edited by Jwo

I think it's pretty safe to say:

A: There will be a new arena. And;

B: it's going to have a corporate name.

The sooner people get used to those ideas, the easier it will be for everyone when it happens.

And if the Tigers can leave Tiger Stadium, the Wings can easily leave The Joe.

I think it's pretty safe to say:

A: There will be a new arena. And;

B: it's going to have a corporate name.

The sooner people get used to those ideas, the easier it will be for everyone when it happens.

And if the Tigers can leave Tiger Stadium, the Wings can easily leave The Joe.

I actually had much more sentimental attachment to Tiger Stadium than I do to the Joe, and I'm not really a baseball fan anymore.

The corporate name is inevitable, though annoying. Can't we as Detroit fans just refuse to call it by whatever corporate name it gets, calling it Yzerman Arena instead? :D

The one thing I'd miss about the Joe is the great sightlines. It's a dump, but a well built arena for watching hockey. Any new one will likely have mid-level luxury boxes that'll make upper bowl seats much worse.

I strongly believe Ilitch has already decided to build a new arena and is simply waiting to have ALL the land in place before any official announcement. Remember when Comerica Park was being built? It was kind of a fiasco. Once they made the announcement, Ilitch still didn't have all the land, and the prices skyrocketed, and the owners who had already sold sued because they wanted the new high price instead of the old price, and Chuck Forbes made a big stink and they had to actually pick up and move his Gem Theatre, and the whole project was delayed years. Ilitch doesn't want to go through that again. He'll announce like the day before they break ground.

About 6 weeks ago the detroit free press had a front page news about the new arena. Aparently Ilitch has decided to demolish a few buildings he owns. He owns a few buildings on Woodward Ave. on the same side as the hockeytown cafe.... only on the other side of I75. I forgot who wrote the article but im sure its arcived on the website. The amound of land available when the buildings were knocked down, was about twice the size of the JLA. It sounded pretty convincing to me. And i know someone wouldnt print that article if they wernt on to something.

Detroit needs to expand and not just sit in one neighborhood "Greek" town. Plus Cobo Hall needs to be rebuilt and not expanded.

You're talking in completely unrealistic terms. First, where would you propose a new convention center be built? Second, the proposal to renovate and expand Cobo is expected to cost roughly $900,000,000. And that's on land the city already owns. Just imagine the cost of building a whole new center somewhere, including the cost of land acquisition. $2 billion? $3 billion? And again? Where would you put it? Cobo Hall is considered a very good convention center, but a smallish one. No need to tear it down and start over, that's totally unrealistic. Besides, Cobo's in as good a spot as it can be in. Convention centers belong downtown. Mostly, it backs up to the freeway, so it's not blocking anything off except for the Joe. I don't think you could find a better place anywhere in the whole tri-county area for a convention center than right where Cobo is.

And don't even get me started on trying to build an entertainment district on the land the Joe is on. Yes, Detroit needs more bars/clubs/restaurants/etc. outside just Greektown. If you haven't noticed, there are quite a few places like that downtown already. For those places to succeed, they need visibility and street presence. They will get ZERO visibility hemmed in by the river, freeway, Cobo, and fences. Nobody's going to go back there, it would be quickly abandoned and horrendously unsafe in two years tops.

I think it's basically inevitable that the Wings vacate the Joe and both it and Cobo Arena are torn down to expand Cobo Hall's exposition space. There's no other solution that makes anywhere near as much sense. If you want to create a downtown riverfront destination area for out-of-towners to have a good time, the Ford Auditorium site is the place to do it.

About 6 weeks ago the detroit free press had a front page news about the new arena. Aparently Ilitch has decided to demolish a few buildings he owns. He owns a few buildings on Woodward Ave. on the same side as the hockeytown cafe.... only on the other side of I75. I forgot who wrote the article but im sure its arcived on the website. The amound of land available when the buildings were knocked down, was about twice the size of the JLA. It sounded pretty convincing to me. And i know someone wouldnt print that article if they wernt on to something.

Well I wouldn't go as far to say that... I mean they are the media after all.

As much as I wouldn't mind a new rink being built... I hate the idea of it going into the already way over populated fox theater area... It will be such a headache to go down there for games. Not to mention parking will be the biggest headache ever imagined.

But alas you can sell me on a new arena if A) we get our pick of seats in relatively the same area B) cup holders are installed.

A new arena would be nice, but they should definitely name it Joe Louis Arena II, but that definitely won't happen.

It definitely took me a half hour to find the damn place when I went to my one and only Red Wing game.

It definitely took me a half hour to find the damn place when I went to my one and only Red Wing game.

Now you will be able to find it really quick... Now you will be driving in circles around it for a 1/2 hour trying to find a parking spot somewhere near it.

Edited by OsGOD

Easy there kiddo..... The Olympia sucked ass. Don't just ask me......ask my dad.....and uncles.....and grandma, and grandpa, and mom....and....

Let it go........

Whoa! Such blasphemous talk. You best explain what your second, third and fourthhand sources had to tell you as to Olympia's supposed issues.

1. That was a good catch on the benches on opposite sides of the ice. I've watched too many MSU hockey games at Munn where that is how the benches are set up. If I get some time, I'll correct that boo-boo.

2. Many say it had the best sight lines of any original six arena. Comparing to Boston Garden, Maple Leaf Gardens and others, the case could be made that Olympia was better for hockey viewing. However, the Olympia had flaws. It was too small by the end of its tenure, it was in a deteriorated neighborhood, and there is no question that many seats had obstructed views. My plan for the new Olympia would eliminate all but about 100 obstructed view seats at the back of the upper arena. Old Olympia was much more intimate than Joe Louis, and probably had about 12,000 excellent seats and maybe 2,000 not so excellent seats, kind of like Tiger Stadium

3. I wouldn't get too hung up about a name. I don't like corporate names either, but naming rights are a better way to pay for a new arena watching an owner beg for public funding. Its what's inside the arena that counts more than the name on the front door.