• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DetroitIan

Shanahan

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

There is definitely no reason to look back, but I feel signing Shanahan isn't too bad. I mean he's aging, but he's still playing. He did well this season with no signs of slowing down. I wouldn't sign Shanny for the soul reason of re-living the past, but the fact that one of our needs will be a acquired a solid second liner, and Shanny wouldn't be a bad fit. He still has 2 good years in him.

He also had his typical no-scoring streaks. He scored 20 goals in the first 30 or so games, and ended up with about 36. What does that tell you?

...Ahhh yeah, but Fedorov WILL be back... Trade deadline 2008, watch...

I agree 100% I think he'll be a steal at the trade deadline, I think he want's to come back here plus Bab's really liked him in Anaheim. It will happen.

Stop! We all love Shanny but it's over. I think this playoffs proved the Wings are heading in the right direction. We're not bringing back Shanny or anyone else - move on. (coming from someone that had a hard time letting him go...)

100 % agree! I am still a great fan of him, but the shanny-red-wings-time are gone :(

I´ll never forget him - his goals, his plays, his jokes :D. In my opinion shanny want to stay in N.Y.

Guest ZDH

No. We don't need Shanahan anymore. He was a key part to our 3 Cup wins and us fans will always be thankful for that. However I keep hearing what Shanny said after he signed with the Rangers..."I see my self being a part of the Red Wings past and not the future." I don't want players with that attitude playing on my team. I want to hear things like what Bert said... "It's a special locker room and I want to stay here." With Shanny gone, and dare I even say it Stevie, the Wings young guys were able to assume more of a leadership role this season. Hank and Dats became the main guys for this team and it is no coincidence that it happened when Stevie and Shanny both left. The torch was passed and it was successful. Now we can all look forward to #40 and #13 leading the Red Wings to winning the Stanley Cup. #14 and #19 and #91 and #5 won the last 3. Back in the 50's it was Howe, Lindsay, Kelly, Sawchuk, Delvecchio...Eventually the torch must be passed. Time catches up with all players. While Shanny can still play in this league it was time for him to move on. HE did us a favour. THanks Shanny. But stay in Manhattan please.

Nah, he made it abundently clear he doesn't want to be here. So, I don't want to force him to be somewhere where he doesn't want to be.

I like the direction the Wings are going in now.Why would they go back and grab a ghost from the past.Lets just leave things go the way they are.

I think we just seen one of the best teams we've had here in a long time.The Wings have not played with so much heart in a quite a while.I loved the speed and great scoring they bring to the game now,it's really better hockey.

I guess now that we aren't playing anymore, my mind has been wandering about this upcoming off-season. And I thought about the fact that Shanny only signed a one year deal with the rangers. And I remember reading something where they were saying that he plans to test free-agency. So I wonder if he has interest in coming back, or if the Red Wings organization is interested in him coming back. But as a fan, what do you think? I think 4.5 mill is a bit pricey. But then again, look at this year where he had yet another amazing season. Plus part of me always wanted Shanny to retire in the Winged Wheel. I say for the right price he could be a great addition. Especially if we re-sign Bert. What do you guys think?

I live in the NY area. He's staying with the Rangers based on the comments from both sides. There just is no question here.

We tried the "team full of floaters" thing for a couple years and that didn't go too good - sorry Brendan, have fun in the big city (or wherever you end up).

Sorta like dropping a $20 bill into a steamy wet pile of s***. Could I use the 20 bucks? Well......but

P.S. ouchouchouch.......threw out the shoulder reaching for that analogy. Advil.........

We're a new team. He's the old team. We're building something special the way it is now. Let's keep adding new parts, not throwing in old ones.

Exactly. Let's assume that we don't sign Lang or Calder and we do resign Bert. That means 1 forward spot opens up. Either Rex or Kopecky have to fight for it. Babs isn't going to sit Sammy. So that means that your going to sit either a big young forward with great potential in Kopecky or a small fast forward with great hands in Rex for a guy that's 38 years old slow, and is at the end of his career. Why would you do that when our biggest problems in the past have been that we were to old, to slow and not gritty enoough.

Shanny will not be a Wing next year. I would love to think so, and its great to think he would like to retire a Red Wing where he had such great success and made so many great memories, but I acknowledge that its just not probable. That being said..... I think that after we send Lang and Calder packing, that would open up some spots, more likely for Huds and Kopecky, but no matter how much I dislike Bert and maintain that I haven't seen anything from him that makes him worth keeping him around, I think a Dats-Flip-Homer first line with a Zetts-Bert-Shanny kicker would be interesting as hell. A guy can dream, can't he?

Are you well? He's not coming back here. The last thing we need is a guy who will take useless perimeter shots in the playoffs and not check anybody. I miss the Irish jig and all but as mentioned above. NO WAY!

I love Shanny and he will always be one of my all-time favorite Red Wings, but the development of the younger players last season shows me that we don't really need him now. Shanny had the foresight to realize this and move on before he overstayed his welcome.

Yes, when he signed with the Rangers last off-season I was worried. I thought we were going to be in serious trouble without his 40 regular season goals, despite his disappearing act in the playoffs (to be fair, it wasn't just Shanny that disappeared last playoff season...a lot of the Wings scorers did). But we managed to finish the regular season just a hair away from the President's Trophy and we made it to the Western Conference Final for the first time since we last won the Cup in 2002, without Shanny.

I was sad when he left but he seems to be happy in New York, so I am happy for him. He will probably play another season or two then retire. Maybe by then the owners will wake up and see how Bettman has nearly destroyed the sport and put Shanny in his chair??? Hey, a fan can hope! :cool:

Guest Crymson

Maybe by then the owners will wake up and see how Bettman has nearly destroyed the sport and put Shanny in his chair??? Hey, a fan can hope! :cool:

Shanny recently hinted at pushing a change in playoff overtime format, perhaps in the future even inserting the shootout at some point.

May he become impotent if he ever does advocate such a thing.