• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gwelch1340

Opinions: Most improved player?

Rate this topic

I'd go with the obvious choice of Danny Cleary--the guy made a complete 180 from the season before. Even if he fails to put up the same numbers next season his energy and passion would be plenty of a contribution. After Cleary, I'd go with Markov--not really as most improved because he was never playing poorly, but when Schneids went down Markov really stepped in and played awesome. I definitely want to see this guy in a Wings jersey next season

Maybe I don't understand the question...but I'd say Huddles. Way exceeded expectations in the regular season if you ask me. He didn't do bad in the playoffs either for the little ice time he got...though, honestly, he should have gotten more.

In the playoffs...Lilja.

I dunno...all the other players were good, but I don't remember thinking strongly that they needed to improve.

Edited by Offsides

Where to begin? I can honestly say i have never felt so good after having been knocked out of the playoffs. Why? EVERYONE got better it seems like. (Well, except Lang, but come on it's almost too obvious to point out.)

I would say with the exceptions of Lang, Draper and Maltby that either the players got better (Cleary, Datsyuk, Zetty, Filpulla, Samuelsson, Holmstrom, etc.) as the season progressed, or they remained top tier talent as you'd expect (Lids, Chelios, Schneider)

This is an excellent team with a very promising future. The acquisition of Bertuzzi is going to work out extremely well and hopefully Babcock gets off his jonesing for Calder and plays him some more (I don't see that happening though. Calder is stuck in the same situation Robitaille was in before he left)

This is a great team who is going to be a hell of a lot better next year even if we steered clear of the free agent market entirely.

Has to be Lilja. He's been amazing. I say he's most improved b/c I honestly didn't think he had the ABILITY to perform as he has. Seriously, I thought he was a lost cause so when I saw him step up his game late in the season and especially in the playoffs...I was floored. The other guys, I had seen flashes of brilliance so I knew they had it in them. It's like Lilja got a "hockey talent" transplant.

For the last month of the regular season into the playoffs, Im gonna have to say Lilja. He was playing on par with some of the best shutdown defenseman in the game.

For the playoffs, Datsyuk

Overall: Cleary followed by Filppula.

:clap: My thoughts exactly.

Cheers!

esteef

edit: :lol: I just read the thread and totally forgot Franzen! Swap him with Flip and then I'm good!

Cheers again!

esteef

Edited by esteef

Cleary!!! I mean look at the guy all-around.. That kind of guy has been needed for many seasons. He's a damn wolf. :rolleyes:

But yeah, Filppula, Franzen and Lilja too.. and Lebda of course..

Edited by EstonianWingsFan#1

For me hands down Dan Cleary, however I was very impressed with the offensive ability the young D on this team have, Lebda is great a bringing the puck up and jumping into the play, and it didn't seemed like he was out of position a lot.

Quincey played great when he got minutes, Kronwall when healthy is a force.

Franzen was a complete surprise along with Flip.

I liked the addition of Calder, but still Dan was the Man this year as far as most improved wing!

I'd have a hard time finding someone who made a greater improvement than Lilja. He went from often being a joke out there, but stepped up when the Wings needed it most and became a solid d-man. He even started dropping the gloves and playing physical.

Sure he's no Nick Lidstrom, but seriously think about Lilja in the first half of the season, then the Lilja we saw the last month of the season and in the playoffs. You wanna talk conspiracy theories, I'm not even sure that's the same guy.