• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest DetroitIan

Who is your favorite all time player, AND your favorite active player?

Rate this topic

All time - Yzerman

All time (non Wing) - Brett Hull (On the Blues, after he was a flame and before he was a star/wing/coyote!)

Current - Zetterberg

Current (non Wing) - Modano

All time and current defenseman - Lidstrom

All time defenseman (non Wing) - Macinnis

Current defenseman (non Wing) - Phaneuf

All time and current goalie - Martin Brodeur

Favorite All-Time Red Wings (non-active):

1. Fedorov

2. Yzerman

3. Shanahan

Active:

1. Datsyuk

2. Lidstrom

3. Zetterberg / Cleary

Scary- that's pretty damn close to mine except I'd switch Shanny for Howe.

Gonna have to go with the bulk of the crowd and say Good ol Stevie Y is my all time favorite ever, he played with too much heart to be able to pick anyone else. My favorite now would have to be a split between Cleary, Dats and Hank. My favorite goalie is always gonna be Ozzy just for sticking with it and winning the cup with us in 98, even after all the bad goals he let in.

Im a big fan of Homer. Its something about all the abuse he takes at the front of the net, gotta love his hard work.

For Non-Wings I like Ryan Miller, great young goalie that went to Michigan State.

Guest jaytan

And there is no doubt in my mind that after Nick retires, Hank will be sporting the Captain's C. What about you guys?

:lol:

I like Stevie a lot, but Probert's definitely my all-time favorite.

My current favorite? Hard question. Maybe Bertuzzi. Or probably Avery,

Edited by jaytan

All time: Steve Yzerman

Current wings: Hank, dats, Nick, Homer, Cleary

Current non-wings: Shanahan, Crosby, Brière, Derek Roy and Cristobal Huet. Who I think could be an excellent goaltender for the wings, with howard as a backup.

Yzerman is a given-- far too easy, so I'll except him from the list, and add Lids to the "of course, duhh" list as well.

Favorite Formers:

1) Larionov, baby! No one could create plays like him-- not then, not now. I can't say enough about how much I admire his abilities. I've always felt he never got nearly enough credit for the first two post-drought Cups. Of the Russian 5, Fedorov had the shooter's glamour, Vladdy had the respect/fear, Slava had the hot yong gun rep, Fetisov had the respect well due a seasoned vet, but The Prof was THE one who got the job done quietly and decisively and with deadly skill and brilliance. There's not a player today who has half his skills. Period.

2) Mac and Marty (really happy to see a nod to LaPointe previously in this thread). Reliable production always from both, always threats whenever on the ice, and a heckuva lotta fun in interviews. The locker room must have been BigFun back then.

3) Ozzie. 'nuf sed, innit? But I've always admired his behavior in '97: getting us to the playoffs in great form, then stepping aside for Vernie. It surely musta stung (at least I felt stung on his behalf), but he handled it like a true team player. I'm glad he got to netmind for the Cup the next year. Vindication must have been all the sweeter. Plus... empty net goal, anyone? :cool:

Honorable Mention: Dino, Coffey, Murphy, Kocur. Probert just scared the s***e outta me, I was completely happy he was at least on Our Team!

Current Wings: Zata and Data, Draper (where were you, though, me darrlin'? I really thought you'd do us some clutch, but then again, there was a definite dearth of clutch this series, so all is forgiven), Maltby (thanks for coming up with one, lurrved it). Oh, and Homer should also be included on the "of course, duhh" list. Sammy was pretty great in post too. Lilja... ahhh... this'll only hurt for a lil bit. You have 'redemption' written all over next year.

Non-Wings:

Much as I hate to give props to a former Aaa... Aaaa... ehmm, player from That Team Who Shall Not Be Named, Chris Drury was integral to Sabre success this year: far more than Briere (I like him too, but SabFriend tells me he's been less than all that, and she knows her stuff). As a baseball mom, I also gotta love that Chris was Championship Little League MVP!!

(I covet him. He's free, can we afford him? Prolly not, ohwell... it would seriously PO my SabFriend should we acquire him, anyway)

Edited by RedRockit

My favorite all time player is the great Stevie Yzerman. I could go on and on why he is my favorite. But as for my favorite current player, that goes to Mr. Hank Zetterberg. I love the way he plays the game. And there is no doubt in my mind that after Nick retires, Hank will be sporting the Captain's C. What about you guys?

I have to agree as well. For my entire life Yzerman was the captain of the Wings and forever will be my favorite hockey player of all time. I'm still getting use to the idea of Nick as the captain.

Current players i have 3 wings that hold a tie for first place. Hank, Cleary, and Filppula. I see a young Stevie Y in all of them. I just got Hanks jersey at game one against the Ducks. Good choice as he scored the first goal for us. Cleary is always out there, shooting the puck, and just making things happen. Filppula's dive shot on goal a couple of games ago just screamed Yzerman to me. Had it gone in, it definetly would have been shot of the game.

Guest Crymson

OMGNESS I knew I forgot someone. lksjdlkgjs HUDS! :(

You know I was thinking about free agency today and how amazing it would be if Feds came back. Can you just imagine him on a line with Pavel and Hank? I know they are all centers, but they can all play either wing as well. Damn..i'm already calling that it would be by far the best line in hockey.

Yeah, they'd also draw the regrettable tag of "we're the line which the other team's checkers crush every night." That line would be skilled, but they'd also be horribly vulnerable to physical play.

All-time Favorite Wing(s) - Yzerman & Vladdy

All-time Favorite non-wing - Gary Roberts (going back to his days in Calgary)

Favorite Current Wing - Hank

Mike Bossy/Denis Savard

Ryan Getzlaf

My favorite all time player is the great Stevie Yzerman. I could go on and on why he is my favorite. But as for my favorite current player, that goes to Mr. Hank Zetterberg. I love the way he plays the game. And there is no doubt in my mind that after Nick retires, Hank will be sporting the Captain's C. What about you guys?

Same . :thumbup: