• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Agalloch

The Predators have been sold.

Rate this topic

*waits for Nashville moving comments*

I'm a little happy for the Preds. I always looked at Leipold as a horrible owner. Now, the question is whether Balsillie can get the much coveted corperate support the Preds need.

*waits for Nashville moving comments*

If he didn't want to move a team to Ontario, he'd probably target teams with slightly more stablility than Pittsburgh and Nashville.

Moving a team East is a logistics nightmare for the NHL....there's nobody to move West....maybe Atlanta, but even that wouldn't work too well.

Edited by MacK_Attack

If he didn't want to move a team to Ontario, he'd probably target teams with slightly more stablility than Pittsburgh and Nashville.

Hmm, good point. I'm sure the NHL will do all it can though to preven another team being moved. I mean, it is Balsillie's call whether they move, but the NHL brass will probably do what it can to keep the team in Nashville. Basically, in the last 12 years, 3 teams have moved. The NHL probably doesn't want to make it 4.

Moving a team East is a logistics nightmare for the NHL....there's nobody to move West....maybe Atlanta, but even that wouldn't work too well.

Atlanta is actually further West than Columbus, isn't it?

I really hope new ownership will make a respectable club out of them. If you ask me right now they are just a brute squad who shouldn't be playing the game. I really hate the Preds right now because of their style of hits and cheap ones at that. However, if the new ownership has them take a 360 then I could see them being a legitamate club in my eyes.

Atlanta is actually further West than Columbus, isn't it?

I believe it is, but I'm not certain of that. Atlanta is close to all of those other Southeast Division teams, so it wouldn't make sense to put them in a different conference and move somebody out of the Atlantic into the Southeast....it would be interesting to see how they work this one.

No question Balsillie wants a team in Canada. I have been reading the Predators boards on the topic, the majority of them are doom and gloom, talking about getting rid of their season tickets, and just generally really pessimistic and angry..... I feel for them, just as their team is becoming competitive they have to face the very real possibility that the team won't even be there within 3 years.......

Cities shouldn't take on teams if they can't consistently fill the arena. I'm sorry, but that's business.

Looking forward to seeing the Kitchener Predators!

Cities shouldn't take on teams if they can't consistently fill the arena. I'm sorry, but that's business.

Looking forward to seeing the Kitchener Predators!

This is true, Canadians will always be looking for another team up there, since the Jets and the Nordiques and all of those left. And lets face it the NHL is much more populat in Canada, if Bettman was really looking to make some money he would quit his vendetta against Canada and put some teams up there.

I am all for Canada having a few more teams, but as I said earlier first and foremost should be cleaning up the Preds game.

This is true, Canadians will always be looking for another team up there, since the Jets and the Nordiques and all of those left. And lets face it the NHL is much more populat in Canada, if Bettman was really looking to make some money he would quit his vendetta against Canada and put some teams up there.

I am all for Canada having a few more teams, but as I said earlier first and foremost should be cleaning up the Preds game.

The NHL would do more better above the sun belt in America then below it. I know it's mean to say it but it's the truth.

The NHL would do more better above the sun belt in America then below it. I know it's mean to say it but it's the truth.

The Mason-Dixon line is often used as the borderline for purists. While yes, it is mean, your right. It is the truth. Some cities in the south can't support a team.

There are exceptions of course. Dallas, Tampa, and San Jose all have a great fan base. Carolina is also steadily improving their fan base also. So in any sense, it's coming along.

I hope he moves them...Kansas City has a nice new building...they should go there

Balsillie only plans to move the team to Ontario. That's basically it. Kansas City is basically out of the question as far as that's concerned. Unless the NHL plans for another expansion.

Well well well...more realignment and talk of teams moving. <_<

I really hope the Preds can get it together and show that they can make the $$$ that they need to stay in Nashvegas. Would they move to the Kitchener area? Yeah umm...not with Bettman. They'd move to Puerto Rico before they'd move back to Canada with that idiot in charge.

Oh yeah, and I predict that Phoenix will move within a few seasons. You heard it here first :lol:

I hope he moves them...Kansas City has a nice new building...they should go there

I live in the Nashville area, so I've heard alot of the feedback from this. Apparently, Leipold made the deal under the pretense that the team would remain in Nashville. They just got a new multi-year deal to the Naming Rights of the Arena and have been steadily finding some local corporate sponsorship, so its obvious the powers at be want to stay in Nashville. No matter what though, the Preds cannot move as long as long as average attendence is over 14,000, which has been a problem the past few years. If they fans truly supoort this team, its time to show it. Tickets are cheap here (starting at $10) so its a great way to spend a night when you have nothing to do. Hopefully, the fans will come through and show support for this team.

Plus, there are a TON of Wings fans in this area. If the Preds go, no more Wings....

Balsillie only plans to move the team to Ontario. That's basically it. Kansas City is basically out of the question as far as that's concerned. Unless the NHL plans for another expansion.

What possible Canadian city can support a team? The Nordiques and the Jets had years of opportunity to show they can support a team and they blew it. Hell, the Alberta teams can barely support themselves financially. I can't really imagine any other major Canadian city that could pull this off.

Kansas City, forget about it. The market is worse than Nashville. We'll see three years of support and then no one will give a damn again.

If Predators move, under the ownership of Ballsillie, it will be to 1 of 2 cities only: Hamilton, Ontario, or Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario. Otherwise he would never have bought them. His goal is not just to own an NHL team, but to own an NHL team in this area.

What possible Canadian city can support a team? The Nordiques and the Jets had years of opportunity to show they can support a team and they blew it. Hell, the Alberta teams can barely support themselves financially. I can't really imagine any other major Canadian city that could pull this off.

Kansas City, forget about it. The market is worse than Nashville. We'll see three years of support and then no one will give a damn again.

The area he wants to put it in is about 45 minutes to an hour from the Air Canada Centre (home of the Leafs) where the hockey fan base outnumbers the ticket availibility by astranomical amounts. The area will have zero problem supporting another NHL team. The situation is different, I believe than the other 2 areas. Think of it basically as Toronto having 2 teams...

Edited by CdnWingsFanEh

I live in the Nashville area, so I've heard alot of the feedback from this. Apparently, Leipold made the deal under the pretense that the team would remain in Nashville. They just got a new multi-year deal to the Naming Rights of the Arena and have been steadily finding some local corporate sponsorship, so its obvious the powers at be want to stay in Nashville. No matter what though, the Preds cannot move as long as long as average attendence is over 14,000, which has been a problem the past few years. If they fans truly supoort this team, its time to show it. Tickets are cheap here (starting at $10) so its a great way to spend a night when you have nothing to do. Hopefully, the fans will come through and show support for this team.

I've been reading the entire Preds boards thread on the issue and it seems that the team can move next year even if they get over 14 000 Balsillie would just have to pay the city some money to get out of the contract or something.....

Even so, a lot of fans are talking about getting rid of their season tickets. Combine that with any possible uncertainty of the franchise keeping any free-agents away, and there's a chance they won't hit 14k anyways.....

I really hate the Preds right now because of their style of hits and cheap ones at that. However, if the new ownership has them take a 360 then I could see them being a legitamate club in my eyes.

So you want the management to take them into class then all the back to the way they are now?

So you want the management to take them into class then all the back to the way they are now?

Don't hate, Marcus. Even the best of us sometimes get our numbers and what they mean mixed up:

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees,"

-- Jason Kidd, upon his drafting to the Dallas Mavericks.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Flip-check

If Predators move, under the ownership of Ballsillie, it will be to 1 of 2 cities only: Hamilton, Ontario, or Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario. Otherwise he would never have bought them. His goal is not just to own an NHL team, but to own an NHL team in this area.

The area he wants to put it in is about 45 minutes to an hour from the Air Canada Centre (home of the Leafs) where the hockey fan base outnumbers the ticket availibility by astranomical amounts. The area will have zero problem supporting another NHL team. The situation is different, I believe than the other 2 areas. Think of it basically as Toronto having 2 teams...

Assuming the Maple Leafs fans WANT to support this second team, mind you. All those people waiting for tickets aren't waiting for ANY tickets.... they're waiting for Leafs tickets.

I think putting another team in or near Toronto makes as much sense as adding another Detroit team.