• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Agalloch

The Predators have been sold.

Rate this topic

Assuming the Maple Leafs fans WANT to support this second team, mind you. All those people waiting for tickets aren't waiting for ANY tickets.... they're waiting for Leafs tickets.

I think putting another team in or near Toronto makes as much sense as adding another Detroit team.

Or as much sense as having 2 teams in New York? Sorry bud, it doesn't sound like you've been to Toronto very much. That city has more hockey fans than any other city in North America, numbers-wise.

I'm not questioning their desire for hockey. I'm saying it's not a reasonable statement that because X number of people want tickets for the current Toronto franchise that you'll see all those left out in the cold rush to sign up for season tickets to a new team.

That's not a prediction of failure should it happen. I think said team would be more successful than a lot of current teams. But I still maintain you can't just assume those Maple Leafs fans are going to want to flock to a transplanted team from the American South.

And yes, two teams in New York has always worked, because New York is broken into so many territorial pieces. New Yorkers love to be united in opposition. It's entirely different than virtually every city on the North American sports map. (LA possibly being the other exception)

Edited by Stevie Y.

I'm not questioning their desire for hockey. I'm saying it's not a reasonable statement that because X number of people want tickets for the current Toronto franchise that you'll see all those left out in the cold rush to sign up for season tickets to a new team.

Marlies?

That's not a prediction of failure should it happen. I think said team would be more successful than a lot of current teams. But I still maintain you can't just assume those Maple Leafs fans are going to want to flock to a transplanted team from the American South.

Ok, heres the solution that blows everything you've said out of the water:

Put Wayne Gretzky as the coach of the relocated Preds in Kitchener. Ta-da....instant popular rival to the Leafs. :lol:

Assuming the Maple Leafs fans WANT to support this second team, mind you. All those people waiting for tickets aren't waiting for ANY tickets.... they're waiting for Leafs tickets.

I think putting another team in or near Toronto makes as much sense as adding another Detroit team.

The Leafs are a pretty pathetic organization, and if they keep pace like they have been for the last few years, I'm sure people will have no problem supporting a second team.

If anything, the Leaf fans will at least go watch this new team when the Leafs play them.

The Hockey News

5/23/2007 11:55:32 PM

According to the Predators lease agreement with the Sommet Center in Nashville, the team has until the middle of this June to exercise a clause in the agreement that would allow the owner to move the team if the Predators don't average at least 14,000 in paid attendance next season.

The Predators were 25th in the NHL with an average attendance of 14,428, but that was total attendance including all free tickets. Their paid attendance was somewhere closer to 12,000 and the team has had a terrible time getting the Nashville corporate community to support the team.

There are several caveats to the deal, however. First, even if the Predators average fewer than 14,000 paid – which would also seriously cut into their take in revenue sharing – whoever owns the team would have to pay the city $18 million to move the team. The city also has an option in the deal to make up any shortfall in revenues that would result in fewer than 14,000 paid and if it did that, it would force the Predators to stay in Nashville.

No matter what the lease agreement is, the Predators have long been seen as a vulnerable franchise, one that is a prime candidate to be moved. Despite that, and yearly losses for the team, owner Craig Leipold is expected to recoup all his losses by selling the team.

If Predators move, under the ownership of Ballsillie, it will be to 1 of 2 cities only: Hamilton, Ontario, or Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario. Otherwise he would never have bought them. His goal is not just to own an NHL team, but to own an NHL team in this area.

The area he wants to put it in is about 45 minutes to an hour from the Air Canada Centre (home of the Leafs) where the hockey fan base outnumbers the ticket availibility by astranomical amounts. The area will have zero problem supporting another NHL team. The situation is different, I believe than the other 2 areas. Think of it basically as Toronto having 2 teams...

It's not just the fan support, I'm talking about business support as well. Most companies there already throw millions of dollars to the Leafs, Sens, and Canadiens. I doubt theyre going to throw around another couple of million for some random team coming in. Remember the Senators a few years ago?

I've been reading the entire Preds boards thread on the issue and it seems that the team can move next year even if they get over 14 000 Balsillie would just have to pay the city some money to get out of the contract or something.....

Even so, a lot of fans are talking about getting rid of their season tickets. Combine that with any possible uncertainty of the franchise keeping any free-agents away, and there's a chance they won't hit 14k anyways.....

No the clause says that as long as average paid attendance is above 14000, the team cannot move. Hopefully, the fans will come out and support this team.

too many unknowns at the moment to make any rational thoughts on the matter. For now it's pretty much :crybaby: and i'm sure later after work it will be :drunk:

just can't see the team staying here past next season...

It's not just the fan support, I'm talking about business support as well. Most companies there already throw millions of dollars to the Leafs, Sens, and Canadiens. I doubt theyre going to throw around another couple of million for some random team coming in. Remember the Senators a few years ago?

No the clause says that as long as average paid attendance is above 14000, the team cannot move. Hopefully, the fans will come out and support this team.

Sorry bud, money talks. And there's always a way out. Just ask Malkin. And the support is probably gone too. But who knows, may be the guy will keep the team there.

Guest jaytan

Man, I wish I lived in a great city like Nashville, with a dang-ole NHL team! YEE-HAW!

too many unknowns at the moment to make any rational thoughts on the matter. For now it's pretty much :crybaby: and i'm sure later after work it will be :drunk:

just can't see the team staying here past next season...

Legionnaire, I was wondering when you were gonna pop in. I'm sorry man, I know you love your Preds. So is the general consensus in Nashville that they are pretty much done there?

Well, Mr. Blackberry already said the Preds are staying there next season, but" after that, no promises."

He already wanted to move the Pens to Windsor or whatever. He's gonna move the Preds. Bank on it.

Legionnaire, I was wondering when you were gonna pop in. I'm sorry man, I know you love your Preds. So is the general consensus in Nashville that they are pretty much done there?

yeah, i'd say right now most people are thinking it's about an 80% chance that next season is their last in Nashville. Unless attendance is just unreal next season and the fanbase/city really wins over this guy, then we're done for... and the chances of that happening are realistically almost non-existant.

If he is going to move it he should move it to Quebec. The Nordiques had many consecutive sellout years (until they had to move to Denver 'cause the Colisée wasn't big enough.) I say, either expand the Colisee or build a new arena.

Guest jaytan

What happens if they win the Cup next year?

Or, better yet, they move from Nashville and the year after that win the Cup. A Nordiques situation.

What happens if they win the Cup next year?

Or, better yet, they move from Nashville and the year after that win the Cup. A Nordiques situation.

I don't think you'll have to worry about that too much with Trotz and his staff staying put... :hehe:

The Mason-Dixon line is often used as the borderline for purists. While yes, it is mean, your right. It is the truth. Some cities in the south can't support a team.

There are exceptions of course. Dallas, Tampa, and San Jose all have a great fan base. Carolina is also steadily improving their fan base also. So in any sense, it's coming along.

<smartarse>

San Jose's in the South? That's news to me. ;)

</smartarse>

Seriously, though, this does not look like a good day for Nashville hockey. I hate their team, but I do feel for their fans. They have a good core of die-hards, they just can't generate enough widespread appeal.

Edited by Shockwave180

<smartarse>

San Jose's in the South? That's news to me. ;)

</smartarse>

Nashville and San Jose are pretty close in terms of latitude. And everyone here considers Nashville the South.

At any rate, I wouldnt be surprised to see the league expand. Las Vegas is bound to have a team. They are the fastest growing city in the country in the fastest growing state in the country. Trust me, Im out there almost every 6 weeks and Ive seen a TON of hockey stickers on the backs of peoples cars. People think Las Vegas and they think desert or party people, when really its one the best places to get a job right now and there are a TON of transplanted Northerners living there. Not to mention it would be a major betting attraction and the investors/corporation support would be HUGE.

They should call em the Las Vegas Cheetahs... :banana: