• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ttbrunke

Cherepanov, Kane

Rate this topic

I'm not too impressed with the FA that are available which got me to thinking about the draft and if there were any sure things. Cherepanov and Kane seem to be the standouts of the group. I like Cherepanov (we need to get back to the OV's anyway right) he broke all the record for rookies in the Russian Super League this past season that were set by Pavel Bure. This is of course where Alex Ovechkin played when he was seventeen.

Would or Could the Red Wings move up?

I'm not sure who they would part ways with that would garner first round pick status, maybe they sign Bertuzzi and trade him or something (just an example please don't turn this into an I love bertuzzi thread) :angry:

I'm not too impressed with the FA that are available which got me to thinking about the draft and if there were any sure things. Cherepanov and Kane seem to be the standouts of the group. I like Cherepanov (we need to get back to the OV's anyway right) he broke all the record for rookies in the Russian Super League this past season that were set by Pavel Bure. This is of course where Alex Ovechkin played when he was seventeen.

I'm not sure who they would part ways with that would garner first round pick status, maybe they sign Bertuzzi and trade him or something (just an example please don't turn this into an I love bertuzzi thread) :angry:

Not trying to turn this into an I love Bert thread, but signing and trading would destroy the redwings credibility with free agents.... That would be a big mistake!

Not trying to turn this into an I love Bert thread, but signing and trading would destroy the redwings credibility with free agents.... That would be a big mistake!

That was just an example but you fo make sense that would make people a bit weary of our club. Have any ideas of how it would be done

That was just an example but you fo make sense that would make people a bit weary of our club. Have any ideas of how it would be done

It could be done with a package of one of our star youngsters, a prospect, and a draft pick. But even then I say the price is a bit high. The issue here is that the only players we might want to get rid of, are free agents already (Lang, Bert) or no one would realistically take (Samuelsson, Lilja). Given our playoff sucess this year, and ability to draft amazingly well late in the drafts, I am doubting that this is something Ken Holland would do. Although I would definitely be excited for it to happen, I don't see it being done.

Do you think the Wings will have to move up to draft them??? I know that Jim Nill and Gordie Howe and I think Stevie were in Sweden lastweek prior to Game 5 looking at prospects. If this kid is breaking Pavels records then I think we should take a look at him, unless he is asking too much money. I would rather see Hudler and some of our GR boys get a shot with the Wings, we have alot of talent down there, so I think trading up to get this kid is a bit too much :thumbup:

Nobody in the Wings farm system would be enough for a first round pick in the top 5. Sorry guys, but Hudler will never be a coveted player because of his size.

The Wings would need to give up a big named player (I.E. Zetterberg), and they'd be insane to do that. Zetterberg is just pure awesome for one thing, and also because you would essentially be trading a 100 point potential player for a young kid who could end up like Alexandre Daigle or Pavel Brendl. Cherepanov fits the bill for being a bust like the previous two mentioned.

As already mentioned, nobody in GR would be enough for a top 5 pick. Don't even count on Holland using our first round pick this year anyways. It hasn't been 5 years yet, and the Wings basically only use their first round picks every 5 years.

Cherepanov could very well be the #1 pick...I don't think there's any chance we move up...I trust Kenny Holland to do what needs to be done.

He is definately a top 5 I think Kane will go #1 or maybe Turris

Guest Crymson

Agreed. The organization simply doesn't work like this, and for good reason.

Nobody in the Wings farm system would be enough for a first round pick in the top 5. Sorry guys, but Hudler will never be a coveted player because of his size.

The Wings would need to give up a big named player (I.E. Zetterberg), and they'd be insane to do that. Zetterberg is just pure awesome for one thing, and also because you would essentially be trading a 100 point potential player for a young kid who could end up like Alexandre Daigle or Pavel Brendl. Cherepanov fits the bill for being a bust like the previous two mentioned.

As already mentioned, nobody in GR would be enough for a top 5 pick. Don't even count on Holland using our first round pick this year anyways. It hasn't been 5 years yet, and the Wings basically only use their first round picks every 5 years.

I doesn't take a Hockey Genius to know that you don't trade a Zetterberg or a Datsyuk to move up, Remember we have our #29 selection plus a player like Kindl or Hudler. Sure there is always a possibility for a bust but he is putting up #'s like Ovechkin and Bure so he could also be that kind of player. I agree I don't recall Holland ever moving up but there is a first time for everything and if we could get this kid it would be nice.

I know they were scouting the Swedish Juniors and I think they may take Joakim Anderson with the #29 at least that is what I have seen projected.

I doesn't take a Hockey Genius to know that you don't trade a Zetterberg or a Datsyuk to move up, Remember we have our #29 selection plus a player like Kindl or Hudler. Sure there is always a possibility for a bust but he is putting up #'s like Ovechkin and Bure so he could also be that kind of player. I agree I don't recall Holland ever moving up but there is a first time for everything and if we could get this kid it would be nice.

I know they were scouting the Swedish Juniors and I think they may take Joakim Anderson with the #29 at least that is what I have seen projected.

The only reason I even mentioned Zetterberg is because that's basically what a team would want. No NHL team would be stupid enough to blow a top 5 pick on Hudler or Jakub Kindl. Unless Mike Milbury or Mike O'Connell are the GM's, it won't happen.

Cherepanov is putting up impressive numbers, but it confuses me why he isn't a sure fire #1 overall pick. Ovechkin was basically that during the 2004 Draft. I get the feeling that Cherepanov has an attitude, kinda like Daigle and Brendl, which is what held them back from being great players.

There's no point talking about this , it ain't gonna happen . The Wings would have too give up WAY to much to even get a top 10 pick never mind a top 5 one. All our valuable assets are untouchable.

Guest jaytan

The Red Wings aren't really the type of team that build by drafting guys that everyone knows about in the early first round. We've got good scouting and can find talent that may be less developed or more obscure, but comes for cheaper. Plus, we have good success with signing free agents because a lot of people want to play in Detroit for a great organization with the most commitment to winning in the league for a generation and an amazing fanbase.

The Red Wings aren't really the type of team that build by drafting guys that everyone knows about in the early first round. We've got good scouting and can find talent that may be less developed or more obscure, but comes for cheaper. Plus, we have good success with signing free agents because a lot of people want to play in Detroit for a great organization with the most commitment to winning in the league for a generation and an amazing fanbase.

That may be but in the new NHL you need to have these young players to build your team. The cap makes it so we can't spend the way we used to, you saw it this year with Filpulla, Hudler, Kopecky, Lebda, Quincey. I agree that the DRW have done a great job at getting the most out of the picks they have but I would just love to see them be able to draft a player who scores 60 points in his first season at age 18. we have good youth in Zetts and Dats and Flip, just think it would be fun to get that hot prospect for once (I don't want to be bad enough to have that pick naturally though).

Guest Agalloch

Cherepanov isn't top five. He's at the bottom of the top ten right now because of the disagreements between Russia and the NHL. He's been sliding for awhile now, and probably will continue too.

The draft sucks this year anyway. No point in trading up.

The only reason I even mentioned Zetterberg is because that's basically what a team would want. No NHL team would be stupid enough to blow a top 5 pick on Hudler or Jakub Kindl. Unless Mike Milbury or Mike O'Connell are the GM's, it won't happen.

Cherepanov is putting up impressive numbers, but it confuses me why he isn't a sure fire #1 overall pick. Ovechkin was basically that during the 2004 Draft. I get the feeling that Cherepanov has an attitude, kinda like Daigle and Brendl, which is what held them back from being great players.

Like I just mentioned, the NHL and Russia are having some major disagreements right now, and he may not end up coming over.

Guest Crymson

That may be but in the new NHL you need to have these young players to build your team. The cap makes it so we can't spend the way we used to, you saw it this year with Filpulla, Hudler, Kopecky, Lebda, Quincey. I agree that the DRW have done a great job at getting the most out of the picks they have but I would just love to see them be able to draft a player who scores 60 points in his first season at age 18. we have good youth in Zetts and Dats and Flip, just think it would be fun to get that hot prospect for once (I don't want to be bad enough to have that pick naturally though).

There is a big difference between "I'd love to see this" and "it is realistically plausible." Regrettably, many people seem to blur this distinction and end up raging against Holland when he--quite understandably--doesn't make it happen.

As long as the Wings continue to have success, we will not get a high 1st-round draft pick. This is how the draft system goes in the NHL; the better you finish the season, the lower you are in the draft order.

A final FYI: players like Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are few and far between. Also, any high 1st-rounder runs the risk of being a bust, i.e. Daigle.

It's not gonna happen; if by some incredible oddity it did happen, it'd be at huge cost to the team, and for an proven player.

I think Kronwall could fetch us one of the top picks. Trade his fragile ass now, while we still can!!!

I highly doubt any NHL team will give up much for a "fragile-assed player" who makes $3m per year for the next five years. Please, be realistic.

The draft sucks this year anyway. No point in trading up.

Exactly.

I talked with some of the scouts in the U18 World Championships and they said that there might be 9 players who'll really become excellent NHL-players,that's the optimistic number.

Picks from 10-30 have potential to be good and there's isn't much between them,it's a question of what kind of player teams are looking for.

So Kenny & Co could get even better prospect with 29th pick than somebody with 10th. :thumbup: