• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_ZDH (Guest)

Guest_ZDH (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(Systemfel @ May 25, 2007 - 09:20AM) View Post

You'd pay $3.5M+ for another 3rd liner?

I don't believe Hartnell is a 3rd liner. I think he is a legit 2nd liner. No I'd never pay a 3rd liner $3.5 mil. In fact I would not pay Hartnell more than 3. If it goes that high then the Wings should walk away.

Holland might do what he did last summer and not sign any UFA forwards (Greg Johnson) and just wait until the trade deadline again. The UFA prices get crazy on July 1st!

Edited by ZDH, 25 May 2007 - 08:48 AM.

#42 kevotron

kevotron

The Wings need more Johnny, they gotta have more Johnny!

• Pip
  • 176 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:05 AM

Here are some hot propects that famed Red Wing scout Hakan Anderson discovered on a recent scouting trip. Maybe we should give them a look?

IPB Image
"Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence. In other words: it is war minus the shooting."
-- George Orwell

#43 TheDude

TheDude

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:15 AM

I would absolutely love to see the Wings sign Brashear...and with the way teams take liberties on our star players a salary of a million or less would be a bargain. Plus I would just like to see the Wings fight more....

#44 Guest_ZDH (Guest)

Guest_ZDH (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE(TheDude @ May 25, 2007 - 10:15AM) View Post

I would absolutely love to see the Wings sign Brashear...and with the way teams take liberties on our star players a salary of a million or less would be a bargain. Plus I would just like to see the Wings fight more....

I'm pretty sure the Caps re-signed Brashear. I'd also like to see an enforcer on the Wings but it's pretty clear Holland sees no need for one. It's hard to find ones who can also take a regular shift like Neil in Ottawa for example.

#45 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

Detroit don't need a bargain forward. They need to spend money on a quality forward that is a sure bet to score 30 goals. Not some bargain player shackled with question marks.

Hartnell won't come cheap. I'd love to have him, and he's what Detroit need. But Nashville are mental when it comes to matching offers for players the Wings may covet. They'd give Hartnell 5M just to keep him out of Detroit.

I say court Smyth. Woo him. Show him that Detroit loves him, wants him to retire here, and that their commitment to whining is 2nd to none. Then sign him for 5.3M. Some players chose lifestyle and being part of a famed francise, that looks after their players, over money.

I think the bargain might have to come on defence.

I'd love Schenider to re-sign and I'd love to have Sarich too.

But a more realistic option would be to re-sign Markov and sign a guy like Teppo Numminen. 5 M would probably land both players.

That would leave about 3 Million to sign Hasek Chelios.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Homer
Smyth - Filpulla - Sameulson
Maltby - Draper - Cleary
Franzen - Hudler - Grigorenko
Kopecky

Lidstorm - Markov
Kronwall - Numminen
Chelios - Lebda
Quincey

Hasek
Osgood

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#46 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE(Systemfel @ May 25, 2007 - 09:20AM) View Post

You'd pay $3.5M+ for another 3rd liner?

Hartnell isnt a third liner. The guy had 22 goals in 63 games. That puts him on pace for a 29 goal season. Add in the fact that this guy is only 25 but experienced with 6 full seasons under his belt and youve got a guy thats just waiting to break out with the right centerman. Keep in mind, Nashville has always had a ton of great wingers and few centerman so not only does Hartnell fall to the bottom, but he has yet to get the chance to play with a center of Datsyuk/Zetterberg calibre.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#47 therock48880

therock48880

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

In terms of low risk/high reward signings, I think Bertuzzi could fit into that category. The market value for him will be low due to his injuries last year. They might be able to sign him to a low base, high incentive deal kinda like what they did with Dom last year. IF his back holds up, he could be a bargain.

Hasek is becoming iconic in my mind

#48 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE(rick zombo @ May 25, 2007 - 10:57AM) View Post

Detroit don't need a bargain forward. They need to spend money on a quality forward that is a sure bet to score 30 goals. Not some bargain player shackled with question marks.

Hartnell won't come cheap. I'd love to have him, and he's what Detroit need. But Nashville are mental when it comes to matching offers for players the Wings may covet. They'd give Hartnell 5M just to keep him out of Detroit.

I say court Smyth. Woo him. Show him that Detroit loves him, wants him to retire here, and that their commitment to whining is 2nd to none. Then sign him for 5.3M. Some players chose lifestyle and being part of a famed francise, that looks after their players, over money.

I think the bargain might have to come on defence.

I'd love Schenider to re-sign and I'd love to have Sarich too.

But a more realistic option would be to re-sign Markov and sign a guy like Teppo Numminen. 5 M would probably land both players.

This was just about to be my next post. Detroit has done the bargain thing already with Samuelsson - didnt work. They did the trade to try and rejuvenate a 25+ goal scorer with Calder - didnt work. They did the trade for a guy with nagging injury problems - the jurys still out on whether he can come back.

Signing Smyth or Drury should be the two guys Detroit is hunting for. Theyre both 30 goal scorers and likely more if they were playing with one or both of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Regarding Hartnell, I dont think Hartnell has his heart set on going back to Nashville, and I dont think Nashville has their heart set on re-signing him. They have Kariya to think about, and theyve already got Sullivan, Dumont, Erat, and Radulov as bona fide top 6 wingers with Arnott and Legwand to center them.

Also, you have to consider that the uncertainity of Nashvilles future could be a deterrent this summer.

It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#49 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(therock48880 @ May 25, 2007 - 11:17AM) View Post

In terms of low risk/high reward signings, I think Bertuzzi could fit into that category. The market value for him will be low due to his injuries last year. They might be able to sign him to a low base, high incentive deal kinda like what they did with Dom last year. IF his back holds up, he could be a bargain.

clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

He could be like Guerin last year...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#50 zetterbergfuturemvp

zetterbergfuturemvp

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(YoungGuns1340 @ May 25, 2007 - 11:17AM) View Post

This was just about to be my next post. Detroit has done the bargain thing already with Samuelsson - didnt work. They did the trade to try and rejuvenate a 25+ goal scorer with Calder - didnt work. They did the trade for a guy with nagging injury problems - the jurys still out on whether he can come back.

Signing Smyth or Drury should be the two guys Detroit is hunting for. Theyre both 30 goal scorers and likely more if they were playing with one or both of Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Regarding Hartnell, I dont think Hartnell has his heart set on going back to Nashville, and I dont think Nashville has their heart set on re-signing him. They have Kariya to think about, and theyve already got Sullivan, Dumont, Erat, and Radulov as bona fide top 6 wingers with Arnott and Legwand to center them.

Also, you have to consider that the uncertainity of Nashvilles future could be a deterrent this summer.

i dont like samuelsson and i dont think alot of people do , but the year before he had 20 goals .....this season if it wasnt for the injuries he'd have another 20 goal season .....so as much as we dont like him , his stats do say we got a bargain ...1.2 million for a 20 goal scorer ???? im pretty sure you wont find alot of those kind of players with that salary on other teams .......and before you say stats dont always tell the whole picture .......yes i agree , but on the stats board say he was a bargain

and about drury and smyth, id love to have one of them but i dont think we'd be able to afford one of those guys

Edited by zetterbergfuturemvp, 25 May 2007 - 12:49 PM.

#51 Guest_ZDH (Guest)

Guest_ZDH (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(zetterbergfuturemvp @ May 25, 2007 - 01:47PM) View Post

i dont like samuelsson and i dont think alot of people do , but the year before he had 20 goals .....this season if it wasnt for the injuries he'd have another 20 goal season .....so as much as we dont like him , his stats do say we got a bargain ...1.2 million for a 20 goal scorer ???? im pretty sure you wont find alot of those kind of players with that salary on other teams .......and before you say stats dont always tell the whole picture .......yes i agree , but on the stats board say he was a bargain
and about drury and smyth, id love to have one of them but i dont think we'd be able to afford one of those guys

Samuelsson reminds me of this chick I went out with in high school. On certain days she would look very good. Hot even. And I would say to myself "Self you got yourself a real hot looking chick there." But then on other days the same chick would not look so good. And I would say to myself "Self, what in God's Green Earth were you thinking? Her face looks like a catcher's mit!" In the end it's about checks and balances I suppose.

Likewise, here we have Samuelsson. IN certain games he looks like the hot chick. In other games he looks like roadkill. Which one is he? Does anyone REALLY know? I mean he can laser the puck. But no one knows where it's going. When he actually hits the net, most of the time it goes in. The other times, it usually goes all the way around the boards and sets up a 2 on 1 for the other team.

For $1.2 million what do we expect? Another Datsyuk? Of course not. In the Salary Cap NHL you have to have some cheap salaries to fill out your roster and hope they can play a role on your team. I am fine with Sammy on the 4th line. Any higher and I am afraid of the ugly chick I dated in high school returning. You know those movies, Prom Night. Mary Lou keeps coming back right. We need to see Sammy more next season. Not Mary Lou Samuelsson.

#52 GordieSid&Ted

GordieSid&Ted

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(zetterbergfuturemvp @ May 24, 2007 - 03:25PM) View Post

wings are always looking for guys who can come in and contribute and be a bargain for the team like cleary/hasek/samuelsson ........which players do you guys think that can come here at a reasonable price and be a good pick up ??
heres my picks .....
1-jeff o'neill

all depends if toronto wants him back but i think he can be had for say 2.250 per for 2 yrs ?? he had 20 goals this year , he had a 40 goal season and two 30 goal season before and if we put him with datsyuk or zetterberg i think he can be a real goal scoring threat that we need ....heres some info ...
Height: 6'1 Weight: 195 lbs
Shoots: Right NHL Seasons: 10
Salary: $1,500,000

AssetsHas great hands and a lethal shot. Hits everything in sight. Excels at taking face-offs. Knows where to be to score goals.

FlawsCould still improve his defensive game. Must show more discipline on and off the ice. Takes too many nights off. Career potentialFirst line winger.
2- eric lindros
i know ill get laughed for this one but i think he can be had for maybe 1 million, hes a big big body that we can really really use , adding him along with bertuzzi if he comes back will give us two big bodys, i know lindros had some injuries last season but it wasnt any headshots so thats a good thing , and i know if he plays along datsyuk or zetterberg he can be a good player for us offensivly .....heres some stats
Height: 6'4 Weight: 245 lbs.
Shoots: Right NHL Seasons: 12
Salary: $1,550,000
Scouting ReportAssetsUnleashes a lethal shot whenever parked in the slot area. Skates very well for a big man. Can still intimidate with his power/speed package when healthy.

FlawsSkates with his head down constantly, which has landed him in serious concussion trouble. Doesn't own great hockey sense. Career potentialSecond line center.
3- joffrey lupul

ok hes not a free agent but i heard alot of rumors the oilers wanted to trade him cause they were dissapointed with him last season , i think its a real dumb move to get rid of him and as much as i like hudler i think babcock doesnt care for him for some reason , hudler had similiar goals to lupul in almost no ice time so i think if we traded hudler along with meech ( oilers need help on defence) who wont play most likely and i heard he's gotta clear waivers and we all know that wont happen,lupul had 16 goals last season and 28 the season before that , if he plays with dastyuk or zetterberg he can get 30+ ...heres some stats...
Height: 6'1 Weight: 200 lbs.
Shoots: Right NHL Seasons: 2
Salary: $1,500,000
Scouting ReportAssetsHas a goal-scorer's mentality, creative instincts and unlimited offensive potential. He can line up either on the wing or at center.

FlawsMust get stronger and play a better game in the defensive zone. Isn't a great skater, which limits his overall potential. Career potentialTop six winger.
thats it guys , what are your thoughts ????? would you take any of those players ? who do you think can be a bargain ??

Lupul might be okay because he is very talented and very young. Had a dismal year this season but surrounded by winners he could blossom again. Small step back for him this season, he was expected to do much more. All that being said, I don't think Edmonton would give up Lupul for anything less than a 1st round pick despite this past season. And you know we ain't dealin a 1st rounder for Lupul. Lupul a UFA? I can't imagine he is.

Jeff Oneill. IMO one of the most overrated players i've ever seen. Has a terrible work ethic, can't bring it every night and dissapears for long stretches. We'd get rid of Lang only to replace him with O'Neill. He can score some but the night in, night out effort tells me to avoid him.

Lindros, that ship has sailed. I took a chance on him in my fantasy league this year and eventually I dumped him. The guy is more brittle than 400 year old parchment.

Being a mod doesn't make you special.

#53 Mighty Wings

Mighty Wings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:40 PM

http://sports.yahoo....mp;type=fantasy

This is what I wanted hear. He should definitely be an option, if kenny can't get his #1 targeted player.

#54 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 03:55 PM

If the Wings wanted him (Kotalik), I'd gladly take him. Send Buffalo Hudler (or Kronwall hehe.gif ) and a pick or something. They might go for it, since they really want both Drury and Briere back.

#55 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ May 24, 2007 - 08:45PM) View Post

Markov will command about what he makes now. While I admit, 2.5 million is a lot for him, he won't go as high as 4 million. Not all Russains are greedy. tongue.gif

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...208871&hubname=

TSN's sister station in Quebec RDS reports that the Montreal Canadiens have offered defenceman Andrei Markov a four-year contract worth just over $5 million a season.

wink.gif
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#56 Grind_Lines_#1_Fan

Grind_Lines_#1_Fan

Grinder

• PipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(Dominator2005 @ May 25, 2007 - 07:16PM) View Post

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...208871&hubname=

TSN's sister station in Quebec RDS reports that the Montreal Canadiens have offered defenceman Andrei Markov a four-year contract worth just over $5 million a season.

wink.gif

huh.gif

Thats a whole lot of money, that he would never get from us. Good for him.

#57 Guest_ZDH (Guest)

Guest_ZDH (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE(Grind_Lines_#1_Fan @ May 26, 2007 - 10:33AM) View Post

huh.gif

Thats a whole lot of money, that he would never get from us. Good for him.

Guys that's ANDREI Markov not Danny Markov! LOL

#58 Dynamo

Dynamo

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE(Henkka @ May 24, 2007 - 07:33PM) View Post

Cory Sarich's right handness doesn't matter anything, cause he is pure defensive D-man. If we want right handed d-man there, he should be then offensive pointman.

Dan Boyle for example.

I'd keep Markov and that Tom Preissing would be interesting. Also Rafalski.

Rafalski is a Dearborn native who's averaged 44 pts / season over the last 7 years with NJ, he shoots right but am not sure of his contract situation?? He could help replace Schneids if he left.

#59 mosessloan

mosessloan

Draftee

• 6 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:06 AM

Isn't Giguere available this year. I think so. Cap's going to 50 mil.

#60 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 11:09 AM

QUOTE(Dynamo @ May 26, 2007 - 11:41AM) View Post

Rafalski is a Dearborn native who's averaged 44 pts / season over the last 7 years with NJ, he shoots right but am not sure of his contract situation?? He could help replace Schneids if he left.

How about we dump Kronwall and sign both Rafalski and Schneider?

Hey, I can dream, ok? Don't take that from me. tongue.gif