• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

Is it just me...

Rate this topic

or is Giguere one of the most overrated goalies ever?

I really don't think hes anything special. He by no means "stole" the series, nor did he make many "spectacular" saves, unless, ofcourse you think any shot into the matress-pads is a spectacular scoring chance destroyed. He got the first star for the last game of the series via nhl.com, despite his three goals and his less than .900 goals allowed average for the game.

Don't get me wrong, anyone, I think hes just dandy as a number 1 goalie, but he isn't a star number 1 goalie IMO

His pads are too big. *shot*

The guy clearly sucks and looks like the second coming of the hindenburg. His pads should go on JENNY CRAIG. And his voice really annoys me LE NO. I think his helmet is oversized also,someone should check it or is that just his ego?

I feel like Giggy is the type of goalie who just quietly does well. He seems to be very, very positionally sound. All we see is the puck on the pads, because he's always right there. My question is, are his pads any bigger than anyone elses? If his are the max size, I am willing to be most other goalies have pads the same size, but to be honest I don't really know.

The guy clearly sucks and looks like the second coming of the hindenburg. His pads should go on JENNY CRAIG. And his voice really annoys me LE NO. I think his helmet is oversized also,someone should check it or is that just his ego?

Psh, tell me about it. It must be his ego that makes his head so big.

Never heard him actually speak, so I can't make any voice jokes. Damn. :P

Giggy is a reliable goaltender but pails in comparison to Kipper (who I think is the best goalie in the NHL)

While Kipprusoff is a great tender i still lean towards Brodeur hes still shutting teams down each night.

While Kipprusoff is a great tender i still lean towards Brodeur hes still shutting teams down each night.

Brodeur will never return to form unless the Devils get him a backup, or actually play Scott Clemmensen more then 5 games a season. Brodeur actually almost played all 82 games this year, which was probably why he stunk it up in the playoffs.

...but, knowing Lou, we'll probably see the same thing again next year. The Devils and Brodeur dominate, with Brodeur playing something in the range of 75-80 games. Then when the playoffs roll along, he bombs, and the Devils are done.

Giguere is overrated? Hardly.

I'm not trying to make him out to be the second coming of Terry Sawchuck, but he's very solid.

I think without him stealing games 4 and 5, there could be at the very least a game 7 tonight.

Don't get me wrong..I think he's a hell of a goalie, but people make him out to be spectacular when really he isn't. Of course you're not going to score on the guy if every shot you take is right into his chest. The guys covers up most of the net, you gotta keep him moving and going side to side.

Anyways..I agree that if it weren't for him then the Ducks would have most definitely lost Game 5. However, I still don't think he's amazing. Very solid at best.

I agree with Zamboni, Brodeur is the best.

Actually, Kipper and Brodeur were playing golf (along with the other Vezina candidates, Luongo and Lundquist) while Hasek was still shutting down teams in the playoffs. Giggy is OK. He made a couple of great saves, but on the balance, Kipper and Dom were the real quality 'tenders in the playoffs so far.

Of course, he still has time to really shine. Except for the fact that Emery is insanely competitive (learned from the Master in 2006-06) and will probably steal the entire Finals. Giggy will get to see a healthy team. The Sens can seemingly score at will. I'll be interested to see who gets the headlines in the Finals, and I betcha it won't be Giggy. :lol:

Go, Sens, GO!!!!

I don't think he's perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think he's overrated. He is so positionally sound and square to the shooter that he makes every save look easy. He's a decent sized guy at 6' 1" 200lbs where alot of goalies are under 6' and under 200lbs easy. So pads on a bigger guy LOOK bigger because he naturally fills up a little more of the net. (take a look at Maine's goalie in the NCAA Frozen Four at 6'7")

Gigure swallows up rebounds and is rarely out of place. Hasek, while he is also good, can make a routine save look incredible because he is often out of position, relying more on physical ability than technique.

Gigure is less flashy but just as affective (look at the stats of Hasek and Gigure in the last series)

I'm new to the board. I know these have been stated before but Giggy is very good positional goalie mostly due to his size. His main down fall is that if you get him moving then he has a hard time making the save. The only thing that helped him with that this past series was his team cut down on the passing lanes. If he didn't have that help I don't think he would've done as well as he did.

He is an excellent goaltender, but as others have pointed out, he has some severe drawbacks. His lateral mobility is below average, and he actually tends to leave a ton of rebounds, in my opinion. Kudos to the Ducks D for cutting passing lanes and clearing rebounds quickly. If they were a bit smaller, a bit slower, a bit less capable, Giguere might not fit at all with that team.

He's one of the best in the league. Because he is so sound positionally, his saves are not always spectacular, because they don't have to be. Also, because of his positional play, the pucks seem to just hit him, which makes people complain about his equipment even more (get over it).

He's one of the best in the league. Because he is so sound positionally, his saves are not always spectacular, because they don't have to be. Also, because of his positional play, the pucks seem to just hit him, which makes people complain about his equipment even more (get over it).

This is the answer that will get you credit on the test. ;)

Kipper is/was better, but Giggy's no slouch either.

Guest ZDH

I really don't think hes anything special. He by no means "stole" the series, nor did he make many "spectacular" saves, unless, ofcourse you think any shot into the matress-pads is a spectacular scoring chance destroyed. He got the first star for the last game of the series via nhl.com, despite his three goals and his less than .900 goals allowed average for the game.

Don't get me wrong, anyone, I think hes just dandy as a number 1 goalie, but he isn't a star number 1 goalie IMO

Well we can all say what we don't like about him but he has eliminated the Wings twice now. And the Wings have yet to eliminate him. He was the difference in the series vs the Ducks I thought.

QUOTED FOR TRUTH :clap:

Guest Crymson

I'll summarize it out for you:

He's 80% pads, 19% skill, 1% concentrated power of will.. 0% pleasure, 0% pain, and 0% reason to remember his game.

He's all equipment.

I think that its his D that make him look so good, a ton of times in that series Giguere gave up big rebounds only to have the breaking Wings player be tied up by the D men by the time he gets to the puck.

Guest Crymson

I think that its his D that make him look so good, a ton of times in that series Giguere gave up big rebounds only to have the breaking Wings player be tied up by the D men by the time he gets to the puck.

Yeah. I feel that, on the flip-side, the Wings simply were unable to clear rebounds on many amazings saves that Dom made. This really did us in in game 6; two of the goals that went on did so through a six-inch gap between Hasek's glove and the goalpost. That the puck was never cleared, and that the D both did not cover that gap and also allowed Ducks` players to handle the puck through the gap baffles me, to be honest. Bad communication, I'd imagine.

Giguere is no future hall of famer, but he is definitely a good NHL goalie, and more importantly, the perfect goaltender for the team hes on. Giguere is a positional god, thats what makes him seem to just get shots to the gut , he plays the angle, not the reflex. he makes it so the shooter has no where to shoot by coming out of the net at the right time. also, his style is helped by his natural large size, that makes it easier to play the angle by blocking more net. Then theres the perfect team around him. a team defense that keeps the opposition to the outside, which forces perimeter plays and shots,these types of shots are owned by positional goalies as they take away the net from far away. Next, anaheims defense clears the net physically with size and strength, which keeps all opposition away from the one giggy weakness of playing the angle style, rebounds. they let giggy take away the net for the first shot, then knock down bodies and get to the rebound before we do. It's a perfect set up.