• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zetterbergfuturemvp

Should the Wings target UFA-to-be Giguere?

Rate this topic

just read an article here ........ http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...P7ifUOtpfNr8%3D

and it talks about how giguere and not dominik for another year should be our number 1 priority this summer , this idiot seems to think we can get giguere signed for 5 million per year on a long term deal .......more like 6 to 7 per year

anyways what do you guys think we should do ?? id personally rather keep hasek for one more year or get another veteran goalie and split time with osgood , and then bring in howard next season. Also signing giguere makes no sense .....we will have 3 players locked up at 21 million on the team ( lidstrom datsyuk giguere ) .......and then in 2 yrs if lidstrom is still around and producing he can get at least 5 mill per .....so that will leave us 4 players around 27 million (lidstrom datsyuk zetterberg giguere) .......that will totally screw us long term and players who will be seeking raises down the line such as franzen,cleary,filppula,hudler,lebda,quincey and if guys like grigorenko,kindl,abdelkader,helm and other prospects pan out and play well for us then we will be really screwed and have to trade away some of our younger guys ....getting giguere makes absolutely no sense when we got a solid young promising goalie just one year away from coming up

what are your thoughts?????

Edited by zetterbergfuturemvp

Guest ZDH

Lets wait a few weeks when Dom will make his decision on if he is coming back or not. I think he will be back but you never know. I will say this though. Holland can't allow his own UFA's to dick him around like Shanny did last summer. Come July 1st, players sign FAST! Now that we have some Cap space, Holland can't afford to miss out like he did last summer.

I'd say if any of our UFA's are unsigned by July 1st then Holland must turn the page and look elsewhere. He can't have his players holding him ransom. I believe Holland has a number in his head, a value, of what he deems a player is worth. If the player exceeds that number then he will move on to another player of similar calibre. Or at least try to.

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make. Holland lost out on keeping Shanny as well as signing Gerber and Samsonov.

Hasek should be PLAN A. Giggy should be PLAN B. PLAN C is to put Mo Cheese in net.

Edited by ZDH

Guest ZDH

I don't see it happening because Giguere's price is going up with every game he wins.

The only thing that might bring it down a bit is when he loses again in the Cup finals, people may wonder if he just doesn't have what it takes to win it all. ;)

What do you guys think Hasek will make next season if he comes back? 2 mil? 3 mil? 2.5 mil?

Truth is we got it good in goal. Ozzie may not be a superstar but he can be. hes shown it. right now we have it so good. ozzie coast us really nothing and he can be one of the best in the nhl he just needs to play a bunch of games to get going. having howard as his back up playing like 25 or so will be just what he needs to bring him up. just like how it was with ozzie and vernon. ozzie will be howards vernon. 2 great goalies that coast us nothng. everyone needs to calm down and realize how many teams go it way worse.

Edited by dustin35

Guest DetroitIan

I don't know about getting Giggy, but I do know that we should be looking at some sort of replacement in the net. Don't get me wrong, I love Dom, and I think he played great throughout the regular season and playoffs. But for me, it comes down to one thing. And thats age. Can Hasek really go for a entire season and playoffs again?? Im not so sure. I think getting a younger highly skilled tender would be just what we need. There is so many good young goalies out there, so its sorta hard to narrow it down. But all I know is, I would feel 10 times more confident with a younger netminder between the pipes. And this is coming from someone who has loved Hasek for years. But unfortunately, father time may have the final say.

Not for the tag that will surely come with Giguere. While he'd be great for the Wings since their team defense is so strong (thus limiting his need to move side-to-side), he'll be too pricey.

I'd rather have Dom back at $2.5 million next year and take our chances with Howard in a couple seasons, than give up $6+ million on Giguere.

Not for the tag that will surely come with Giguere. While he'd be great for the Wings since their team defense is so strong (thus limiting his need to move side-to-side), he'll be too pricey.

I'd rather have Dom back at $2.5 million next year and take our chances with Howard in a couple seasons, than give up $6+ million on Giguere.

I agree :clap:

Guest ZDH

I don't see Holland handing out any big long term deals because he needs to lock up Zetterberg for a long time after next season. Z will be looking for Datsyuk money and he deserves it. Lidstrom is at $7.6 mil, Pavel at $6.7 mil and Z will be at $6.7 mil as well likely. That's a heck of alot of Cap space tied up in 3 players. That is the main reason I don't see Holland going after Drury, Smyth, or Giggy. But you just never know with the Wings. If they want a player bad enough, they usually get him.

If Jiggy leaves Anaheim it'll be a complete shock to just about everyone. I am close friends with Tampa's GM who was very interested in acquiring Giguere last season and was thinking about it this offseason, but told me that getting Giguere out of Anaheim would cost him about $1.5 - $2 mill on top of the contract he deserves. He loves Anaheim and isn't going to leave easily. Especially when his wife just gave birth to their first child, their child is going to need surgery and the Doctors already are acquainted with the child's condition. His wife loves it there too. Plus, if you like Hasek, you'll hate Giguere. Two complete opposites.

Howard (and I was a huge JHo fan when he played at UMaine and was ecstatic when the Wings drafted him) wont see any time in DET next year (unless someone gets hurt).. I have never been one to agree with 'evil' Drew Sharp, but in this case I think he may be right.. I'll also preface this by saying I have NEVER liked Hasek and his flopping syle (hence I affectionately call him Flop Boy) but I do have to give him and the Wings credit.. Hasek has been a top 5 goalie the past 2 years when he played (key word 'when') and when the Wings signed him on the cheap I said it was the best move they could make for 2007.. the 2007 season is over and its time to start playing for a 2008 cup as well as planning for the future.. Hasek is not part of the future.. JHo is not the answer unless you are starting over which clearly the wings are not.. J Ho's time will come.. Go out and pick up a top 5 or 10 keeper (Giggy, Toskala, Biron) that will keep you in the hunt for the next 3 to 4 years.. You have enough young guys that you shouldn't have any cap issues (also the cap ceiling should rise considerably next year)..

If Jiggy leaves Anaheim it'll be a complete shock to just about everyone. I am close friends with Tampa's GM who was very interested in acquiring Giguere last season and was thinking about it this offseason, but told me that getting Giguere out of Anaheim would cost him about $1.5 - $2 mill on top of the contract he deserves. He loves Anaheim and isn't going to leave easily. Especially when his wife just gave birth to their first child, their child is going to need surgery and the Doctors already are acquainted with the child's condition. His wife loves it there too. Plus, if you like Hasek, you'll hate Giguere. Two complete opposites.

I thought about this too. Giguere might take less money to stay with the Ducks. The owners have been pretty good to him with regards to his baby's condition and I think something like that will convince him to stay in Anaheim long term. He'll get a decent contract from them, maybe not as much as if he went on the open market but he'll get his cash.

I thought about this too. Giguere might take less money to stay with the Ducks. The owners have been pretty good to him with regards to his baby's condition and I think something like that will convince him to stay in Anaheim long term. He'll get a decent contract from them, maybe not as much as if he went on the open market but he'll get his cash.

Exactly. He even said he would take less to stay in Anaheim because his "heart wants to say here [Anaheim]."

He became who he is in Anaheim, he won't give it up that easily. Plus, he lives in a great community (just about all of them are great in the OC)

I posted this article earlier today in another thread about the same subject. ;)

Holland is not about to hand out a multi-million $ contract to any goalie, not Giggy, not anyone else, either. Dom is the best option, and the job is his if he wants it. He wants the Wings and they want him, so it's up to him. I tend to agree with Sharp that time is not on Dom's side -- but heck, anything could and probably will happen. He busted his ass this season to stay in the game and do his best for Detroit. If Dom can't get through another season, it will be because of an accident or something he can't help -- it's a calculated risk, as with any player.

And Duckette, you said what I have been thinking all along. Why would Giguere want to come here, when he clearly loves and is loved in Anaheim? Why would Anaheim let him go, if they could possibly avoid it? You gave some very good insight on what I suspected, re: Giggy and his family, and his relationship with the Ducks and city where he plays. Good for him, if he would play for less to stay where he is. I love a loyal player like that. :clap:

Anyway, Detroit loves to play musical goalie, so who the heck knows. If Dom doesn't come back, and the brass won't let Ozzie have the reins, I say go get Vesa Toskala. SJ has a habit of dumping goalies who become superstars once they leave SJ. I could happen again. Toskala is a good goalie and he's a hoot (in a good way) besides. If you think Dom is character, wait til you meet this guy. :P

Edited by puckloo39

Howard (and I was a huge JHo fan when he played at UMaine and was ecstatic when the Wings drafted him) wont see any time in DET next year (unless someone gets hurt).. I have never been one to agree with 'evil' Drew Sharp, but in this case I think he may be right.. I'll also preface this by saying I have NEVER liked Hasek and his flopping syle (hence I affectionately call him Flop Boy) but I do have to give him and the Wings credit.. Hasek has been a top 5 goalie the past 2 years when he played (key word 'when') and when the Wings signed him on the cheap I said it was the best move they could make for 2007.. the 2007 season is over and its time to start playing for a 2008 cup as well as planning for the future.. Hasek is not part of the future.. JHo is not the answer unless you are starting over which clearly the wings are not.. J Ho's time will come.. Go out and pick up a top 5 or 10 keeper (Giggy, Toskala, Biron) that will keep you in the hunt for the next 3 to 4 years.. You have enough young guys that you shouldn't have any cap issues (also the cap ceiling should rise considerably next year)..

Biron already signed an extension with Philly and Toskala still has another year under his current contract. They're not going anywhere.

I posted this article earlier today in another thread about the same subject. ;)

Holland is not about to hand out a multi-million $ contract to any goalie, not Giggy, not anyone else, either. Dom is the best option, and the job is his if he wants it. He wants the Wings and they want him, so it's up to him. I tend to agree with Sharp that time is not on Dom's side -- but heck, anything could and probably will happen. He busted his ass this season to stay in the game and do his best for Detroit. If Dom can't get through another season, it will be because of an accident or something he can't help -- it's a calculated risk, as with any player.

And Duckette, you said what I have been thinking all along. Why would Giguere want to come here, when he clearly loves and is loved in Anaheim? Why would Anaheim let him go, if they could possibly avoid it? You gave some very good insight on what I suspected, re: Giggy and his family, and his relationship with the Ducks and city where he plays. Good for him, if he would play for less to stay where he is. I love a loyal player like that. :clap:

Anyway, Detroit loves to play musical goalie, so who the heck knows. If Dom doesn't come back, and the brass won't let Ozzie have the reins, I say go get Vesa Toskala. SJ has a habit of dumping goalies who become superstars once they leave SJ. I could happen again. Toskala is a good goalie and he's a hoot (in a good way) besides. If you think Dom is character, wait til you meet this guy. :P

Who from the Wings are you going to trade for him? He's under contract for the 07/08 season.

Guest ZDH

In time JHO will be "knocking on the door" for the Wings #1 goalie job. Sorry I just couldn't resist.

Toskala still has another year under his current contract.

Which is why the Sharks may be willing to unload him, to try and get something for him before he walks after the season. He would be my #1 choice. That being said, I don't think the Wings will spend any big amount of money for a goalie...I just don't see it happening.

if we get giggy and lock him long term its basically the end of jimmy howard in detroit

Which is why the Sharks may be willing to unload him, to try and get something for him before he walks after the season. He would be my #1 choice. That being said, I don't think the Wings will spend any big amount of money for a goalie...I just don't see it happening.

He doesn't have as much stock right now as he probably will before the trade deadline. Who's to say SJ wants to move him anyway? If you ask me, they'll hang on to him and see what kind of progress they make with him throughout the season, and the trade deadline will be the final decision time on his future.

Toskala isn't going anywhere this offseason.