• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zetterbergfuturemvp

Should the Wings target UFA-to-be Giguere?

Rate this topic

if we get giggy and lock him long term its basically the end of jimmy howard in detroit

That's probably why the management won't sign Giguere, contract notwithstanding. You just basically answered your own question.

The organization has high hopes for Howard, so they won't just toss him aside like a rag. I just hope he's as good as most say he is, since I never really seen him play all that much (expect for his little stint up here during the 2005-2006 season).

Biron already signed an extension with Philly and Toskala still has another year under his current contract. They're not going anywhere.

Both Biron and Toskala are in the same position: #1 goalies stuck on a team with more than one #1.. neither PHI nor SJS are going to get full market value for these guys.. yeah, the price might be high now, but if you wait awhile you should be able to get either for a couple prospects and or picks.. Biron may have signed an extension but the second he gets benched for Niittymaki his tune could change.. He has been sitting as a back up for a couple years now and everyone knows he is a bona fide top 10 GT..

That's probably why the management won't sign Giguere, contract notwithstanding. You just basically answered your own question.

The organization has high hopes for Howard, so they won't just toss him aside like a rag. I just hope he's as good as most say he is, since I never really seen him play all that much (expect for his little stint up here during the 2005-2006 season).

ya i never saw him play either except for the few games he played in the nhl ,im just hoping he'll be awesome but i got this gut feeling daniel larsson will be the star goalie in the future....dont ask why lol , just this feeling i have

saw him play quite a bit with UMaine and he was an absolute stud.. I was bummed when he left early as UMaine were cleary national championship favorites his senior year.. that said the wings are in no hurry to throw him into the pressure cooker.. thats evident that they plan on at least another year in GR for him.. goalies take longer to mature than skaters.. he could spend another year in GR and then a year as a back up.. why not lure Giggy with a 2 year deal? throw some money at him.. with a higher cap this season and the possibility of another 20% hike in the next 2 seasons you wouldnt have any issues signing your own guys.. its a better risk than Hasek any day of the week..

Biron already signed an extension with Philly and Toskala still has another year under his current contract. They're not going anywhere.

Who from the Wings are you going to trade for him? He's under contract for the 07/08 season.

dunno, not my call... All I am saying is he's a good goalie, with a price tag of just over a million, which we could stomach. I can't see paying $4M for Giggy, even if he would come here over Anaheim.

Both Biron and Toskala are in the same position: #1 goalies stuck on a team with more than one #1.. neither PHI nor SJS are going to get full market value for these guys.. yeah, the price might be high now, but if you wait awhile you should be able to get either for a couple prospects and or picks.. Biron may have signed an extension but the second he gets benched for Niittymaki his tune could change.. He has been sitting as a back up for a couple years now and everyone knows he is a bona fide top 10 GT..

Esche has proven he's not a bona fide number one, and Niittymaki has yet to prove he'll be capable of the starting role for years to come. Toskala on the other hand is on a team with a surefire starter........so no, they aren't in similar situations. Biron is the man now in Philly. Either Esche or Niitty will be the odd man out, and my guess is Esche will be gone since he'll be a UFA after the 07/08 season, and Niitty will still have the 07/08 season as a RFA.

Next why would SJ part with Toskala for a couple prospects and or picks at this point? That would be the biggest waste and SJ knows it. I agree that since every GM knows that they have two solid tenders that their asking price will be down, which is why you keep them until the price goes up. As I stated before, Trade Deadline time. Look how much Atlanta, San Jose and Nashville gave up to get the studs that they did. Toskala should be in the same boat as Roloson was during the 05/06 season, and the asking price will be sky high as a result of the way teams paid out during the deadline this season.

So again, why would SJ give away Toskala for a couple prospects and or picks?

i agree, Dom would be the logical choice, but i have a few problems with that...first of all, hasek isn't getting any younger, 43yr old goaltender isn't the best idea...second, we played with fire when we signed dom and his groin to a small contract, luck was on our side and we came out pretty good, but i don't see us getting lucky 2 yrs in a row....third, i wouldn't pay him anything close to $2.5 mil, that's just not safe with his age and injury history....as for getting jiggy, no thanks, it will cost an arm and a leg to get him in a wings jersey...

dunno, not my call... All I am saying is he's a good goalie, with a price tag of just over a million, which we could stomach. I can't see paying $4M for Giggy, even if he would come here over Anaheim.

I would pay Giguere $4 million a season way before Toskala at $1.375 (which FYI is his salary for the 07/08 season). If Dom retires, and Giggy would come here for $4 million (which he won't by the way....not for the price tag), it would be a steal.

i agree, Dom would be the logical choice, but i have a few problems with that...first of all, hasek isn't getting any younger, 43yr old goaltender isn't the best idea...second, we played with fire when we signed dom and his groin to a small contract, luck was on our side and we came out pretty good, but i don't see us getting lucky 2 yrs in a row....third, i wouldn't pay him anything close to $2.5 mil, that's just not safe with his age and injury history....as for getting jiggy, no thanks, it will cost an arm and a leg to get him in a wings jersey...

I don't think Holland would either. If Dom comes back, I would think Holland would sign him for a little more than his base salary this year (which was $750,000) such as something like $1 million plus playoff performance bonuses with the potential of reaching $2.5 million.

I would think thats what people are referring to when they say $2.5 million. Atleast, that's what I'm referring to.

I don't think Holland would either. If Dom comes back, I would think Holland would sign him for a little more than his base salary this year (which was $750,000) such as something like $1 million plus playoff performance bonuses with the potential of reaching $2.5 million.

I would think thats what people are referring to when they say $2.5 million. Atleast, that's what I'm referring to.

^ ^ Exactly.

*still waiting on a better option than Dom coming back for another year*

Next why would SJ part with Toskala for a couple prospects and or picks at this point? That would be the biggest waste and SJ knows it. I agree that since every GM knows that they have two solid tenders that their asking price will be down, which is why you keep them until the price goes up. As I stated before, Trade Deadline time. Look how much Atlanta, San Jose and Nashville gave up to get the studs that they did. Toskala should be in the same boat as Roloson was during the 05/06 season, and the asking price will be sky high as a result of the way teams paid out during the deadline this season.

So again, why would SJ give away Toskala for a couple prospects and or picks?

SJS is not going to be dealing from a point of strength.. every one knows they need to deal a GT.. I argue that Toskala would be in the same boat as Biron (traded to PHI for a SECOND ROUND DRAFT PICK!!) I am just basing my arguments on history.. I dont see SJS getting much for Toskala.. Why would you give up an active roster guy when you know eventually they are going to want to dump cash to pick up some more parts?

SJS is not going to be dealing from a point of strength.. every one knows they need to deal a GT.. I argue that Toskala would be in the same boat as Biron (traded to PHI for a SECOND ROUND DRAFT PICK!!) I am just basing my arguments on history.. I dont see SJS getting much for Toskala.. Why would you give up an active roster guy when you know eventually they are going to want to dump cash to pick up some more parts?

And how is that different than last year? Tthey needed to deal a goaltender, yet they both are still in SJ. :sly:

The reason Biron was in a completely different situation than what Toskala will be at the 07/08 deadline was because Buffalo already landed Zubrus and didn't really feel they needed to make any other big moves at the deadline. On top of that, the real talent from PHI was already picked over (I.E. Foresberg, Calder ;) ). Besides, dealing Biron for a pick clears up cap space, which so many people tend to forget.

Sidenote: I wasn't really referring to any active roster player in particular? I was just stating that SJ could get some early round picks for Toskala come the deadline, rather than dumping him now. Maybe you and I are saying the same thing, but in a roundabout way. I just feel Toskala would be worth more at the deadline. Simple as that.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Seems like a week ago Giguere sucked, and the only reason he ever stopped a shot was his giant pads, his stats are inflated by playing behind two Norris trophy candidates and so on...

Now all of a sudden he's who everyone would want?

Oh yeah, and he can't move side-to-side, and he's fat and unathletic...

Guest jaytan

We can't afford to both sign him and sign and re-sign guys at more pressing areas.

However, I do like the Red Wing tradition of stealing free agents from teams who've beaten us or given us a hard time in the postseason. Too bad there's a cap now.

Why would we want 2 #1 goalies. We already have 2 #1 goalies...so now we will just have 2 #1's that cost like $8 million dollars...

Especially for the price...Hasek is the best shot we got...hopefully he doesn't retire

...no, let him pull a Rolosson and re-sign for huge bucks and fall WAAAAYYYY short next season...

...we're fine with what we have. It's time for youth, it's time for Osgood to finish up his career with the well-deserved #1 spot all season next season and let Howard be B/U. We've already lost Liv after dicking him around his whole Wings career, lets not do the same with Howard... If we need someone, we should address it at the trade deadline..

...spend our money on the big holes we need to fill...

I don't think next season will be Osgood's last one...

I feel certain you're right. I don't want Ozzie to go anywhere. As for the rest and who else we can get, who else would be better... I think I will wait and see what Dom says.

And then this discussion can start all over again. :P

I don't think next season will be Osgood's last one...

No, but his last season as starter came back in 2003-2004. Ozzie will stick around as backup, but I highly doubt the Wings will make him starter, unless all other possible options are exhausted.

I'm not saying Ozzie is bad or anything, but the Wings really want Hasek back. After Hasek is done, it will be Howard taking the reins. That's basically how Ken Holland and co. have it mapped out (as of right now).

I say (like it matters a LOT, because I own..) if Dom wants to come back pick him up if not *meh* bring up Jimmy and let him play with Oz.. really the team is so good I don't think we really need a stellar regular season goalie to make the playoffs, and really as we've seen time and time again being an upper seed in the regular season doesn't mean doo-doo. You never know what the playoffs bring out in a player, and really the playoffs generally bring the good out in osgood.. statistically anyway...

Developing young players, while continuing a winning tradition is what Holland needs to focus on. FA signings are all well and good, in moderation. Bringing in a FA (other than good OLD Dom) is just gonna keep the wings from doing that. You know the last young goaltender Detroit developed into a starter from a draft pick? Yeah, Osgood. It's really been THAT long.

I say (like it matters a LOT, because I own..) if Dom wants to come back pick him up if not *meh* bring up Jimmy and let him play with Oz.. really the team is so good I don't think we really need a stellar regular season goalie to make the playoffs, and really as we've seen time and time again being an upper seed in the regular season doesn't mean doo-doo.

unfortunately you do need a stellar goalie right now (see Legace led playoff debacle).. at this point in his career Ozzie is a back up.. plain and simple.. I would rather stand pat with the current forward group and bring in a stud goaltender than possibly waste a year with JHo and Ozzie in net.. I hate to sound like the idiot journalists, but you need a stud in goal to play into June.. I just think going with Flop Boy is taking too big of a risk..

Why would we want 2 #1 goalies. We already have 2 #1 goalies...so now we will just have 2 #1's that cost like $8 million dollars...

Especially for the price...Hasek is the best shot we got...hopefully he doesn't retire

who is the second number 1? Holland has already said J Ho is spending another year in GR.. if Ozzie were still a #1 he would be starting somewhere else..