• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lou_Siffer

My thoughts about the Wings

Rate this topic

Hellooooo! Ive been away the past month or so in hell (otherwise known as having no internet access) but now im finally back in action! Im sure theres already a ton of threads like this but since i was one of the bigger doubters around i figured its ok to start my own. Now before anyone gets the idea that this will be an eating of crow speech...well...you got another thing comin'! ;) lol. I was definitely wrong on some things but in the grand scheme of things, the Wings did end up going down to the Ducks, who i picked the day of the Pronger trade to win the Cup. I do think the better team won. So anyways with that being said, the point of this thread is that i would like to say that what the Wings did accomplish shocked the hell outta me. I went into the playoffs thinking there were 3 teams they'd have a real problem with, and they did manage to knock off 2 of them. I give them alot of credit for that! Calgary i wasnt gung ho about since they werent the same team physically as '04, but I honestly thought there was NO WAY in hell they could beat San Jose. If they had beaten Anaheim, it wouldve been the trifecta and an all you can eat crow buffet for me!

I think what Babcock got out of these guys was truly remarkable...I'd re-sign him up for a 20yr contract! He took a team that on paper was not very gritty imo, and got them to play really hard. Now imagine what could be done if a few naturally gritty, physical guys were thrown into the mix! Dan Cleary for the first two rounds, was a force to be reckoned with and gets the Lou_Siffer playoff achievement award (its just a ribbon that says "I tried" with blood stains on it) He brought a game and intensity i had never seen out of him before. I never thought he was a keeper until now, he proved me wrong. He seemed more or less invisible to me in the Ducks series but much props. He should keep the beard also. For the life of me, i can not understand why Maltby was re-signed for 3 friggin years...just plain stupid. Cleary is the NEW Maltby! This makes zero sense. He's totally on the downslide and with Cleary and Franzen, you have two-thirds of a new grind line (with the 3rd guy being an Asham type via free agency). Now you have Maltby still in the way and taking up a spot. This was the chance to move to the future and let him go as well as Draper when his contract runs out. But..ugh..whatever! Anyways, back to the positive. Hasek was outstanding and stole some games I thought, I'd bring him back for sure for one more year with a "reasonable" 1 year contract. You still have to consider him a risk so i wouldnt get crazy with the dollar amount, but i know he'll obviously get a raise. Danny Markov is another guy that got into my good graces by fighting Shawn Thornton, doesnt matter that he lost. The willingness to battle even when you're over your head is what counts. You could say he had no choice in that situation, but alot of guys wouldve just turtled. I'd still prefer someone like Sarich, but i wont be angry if he returns. A few others like Filpulla, who's name i still cant spell right, i left impressed with.

Now im sure i'll catch some heat for this, but I aint gonna lie...I'm happy to see Anaheim in the finals. Theres really no way i cant wish for good things for this club. They are the epitome of a team i want to watch as a hockey fan. They have both a GM and coach who value having a hard hitting, tough, fighting team. Its a team attitude that i LOVE and desperately want here. To see a team like this who led the league in fights win the Cup will bring a smile to my face if it happens. So even though you guys are upset about the Wings, for fans of physical hockey, this was the best team to lose to! Now, what do i have to do to blackmail Bryan Murray into dressing McGrattan...

Anyways, nice to be back.

Hellooooo! Ive been away the past month or so in hell (otherwise known as having no internet access) but now im finally back in action! Im sure theres already a ton of threads like this but since i was one of the bigger doubters around i figured its ok to start my own. Now before anyone gets the idea that this will be an eating of crow speech...well...you got another thing comin'! ;) lol. I was definitely wrong on some things but in the grand scheme of things, the Wings did end up going down to the Ducks, who i picked the day of the Pronger trade to win the Cup. I do think the better team won. So anyways with that being said, the point of this thread is that i would like to say that what the Wings did accomplish shocked the hell outta me. I went into the playoffs thinking there were 3 teams they'd have a real problem with, and they did manage to knock off 2 of them. I give them alot of credit for that! Calgary i wasnt gung ho about since they werent the same team physically as '04, but I honestly thought there was NO WAY in hell they could beat San Jose. If they had beaten Anaheim, it wouldve been the trifecta and an all you can eat crow buffet for me!

I think what Babcock got out of these guys was truly remarkable...I'd re-sign him up for a 20yr contract! He took a team that on paper was not very gritty imo, and got them to play really hard. Now imagine what could be done if a few naturally gritty, physical guys were thrown into the mix! Dan Cleary for the first two rounds, was a force to be reckoned with and gets the Lou_Siffer playoff achievement award (its just a ribbon that says "I tried" with blood stains on it) He brought a game and intensity i had never seen out of him before. I never thought he was a keeper until now, he proved me wrong. He seemed more or less invisible to me in the Ducks series but much props. He should keep the beard also. For the life of me, i can not understand why Maltby was re-signed for 3 friggin years...just plain stupid. Cleary is the NEW Maltby! This makes zero sense. He's totally on the downslide and with Cleary and Franzen, you have two-thirds of a new grind line (with the 3rd guy being an Asham type via free agency). Now you have Maltby still in the way and taking up a spot. This was the chance to move to the future and let him go as well as Draper when his contract runs out. But..ugh..whatever! Anyways, back to the positive. Hasek was outstanding and stole some games I thought, I'd bring him back for sure for one more year with a "reasonable" 1 year contract. You still have to consider him a risk so i wouldnt get crazy with the dollar amount, but i know he'll obviously get a raise. Danny Markov is another guy that got into my good graces by fighting Shawn Thornton, doesnt matter that he lost. The willingness to battle even when you're over your head is what counts. You could say he had no choice in that situation, but alot of guys wouldve just turtled. I'd still prefer someone like Sarich, but i wont be angry if he returns. A few others like Filpulla, who's name i still cant spell right, i left impressed with.

Now im sure i'll catch some heat for this, but I aint gonna lie...I'm happy to see Anaheim in the finals. Theres really no way i cant wish for good things for this club. They are the epitome of a team i want to watch as a hockey fan. They have both a GM and coach who value having a hard hitting, tough, fighting team. Its a team attitude that i LOVE and desperately want here. To see a team like this who led the league in fights win the Cup will bring a smile to my face if it happens. So even though you guys are upset about the Wings, for fans of physical hockey, this was the best team to lose to! Now, what do i have to do to blackmail Bryan Murray into dressing McGrattan...

I was beginning to get worried about you!

Great to see you giving credit where it's due. YOU were the one I wanted to hear from most because you thought the Wings were a bunch of softies. LOL

Awesome that you came on here and said what you had to. Most people don't have it in them do such a thing.

Anywho..BOO to the Ducks. Ugh.

BTW, I don't agree that the better team won, but I won't get into that.

Welcome back!

Why thank you Reem!

I think when it comes down to a series going anything under 7 games, the better team wins. A 7 game series the argument can be made that the two teams are equals, but not with 4-2 imo. I mean it would be just as easy to say if it wasnt for Nabokov letting in a cheapy in game 4 that San Jose wouldve won. But you cant do that. The Datsyuk penalty in game 5 was horrible and im sure had everyone screaming here, but there were a ton of penalties on Anaheim that were horrendous as well....and called at crucial times. So that went both ways i thought.

So im assuming you wouldnt approve if i put up a Burke avatar? ;)

Why thank you Reem!

I think when it comes down to a series going anything under 7 games, the better team wins. A 7 game series the argument can be made that the two teams are equals, but not with 4-2 imo. I mean it would be just as easy to say if it wasnt for Nabokov letting in a cheapy in game 4 that San Jose wouldve won. But you cant do that. The Datsyuk penalty in game 5 was horrible and im sure had everyone screaming here, but there were a ton of penalties on Anaheim that were horrendous as well....and called at crucial times. So that went both ways i thought.

So im assuming you wouldnt approve if i put up a Burke avatar? ;)

Welcome back Lou, Burke has done a great job with the Ducks, but credit also has to go to Brain Murray. He drafted a lot of those guys on the Ducks. Of course now he had a hand in the Wings being so successful. Maybe this man (Murray) will finally get his due. I think it will be a great series, both team are touch and physical. From an "Old Time Hockey" standpoint this is great. :clap::clap:

Why is everyone so down on Maltby coming back for 3 years? He is a character guy. The type of guy who makes things incerdibly easier for Nick as captian, and he is coming at a small price tag. He doesn't score much anymore, but he does draw a TON of penalties, and coupled with Draper is money in the PK. Which brings me to my next point. Why the hell would you get rid of Draper?! He is also a great locker room guy, a leader on the team, and by far the best 2-way player on the team. He is a shutdown guy, and no one on the Wings is better in the faceoff circle.

It would make no sense to get rid of these guys. They are both quick, smart, solid 2-way players. What is not to like about them? Even if you put them on a 4th line, they are still going to make a sizable impact. They are the type of players and people that make good teams great. Without those two guys, there is no way we make it past the second round this year, if that.

One word describes them both: integral. That is, they are integral to the success of the Wings, both playoff and regular season.

BTW, before you can think about crowing Cleary the 'new Maltby', he should at least prove that this season wasn't a fluke. There is more evidence that points towards Dan-o not being as good next year, than there is that he will. Besides, it never hurts to have a few of those guys on your team.

I was wondering where you had gone Lou !

Anyways , I agree with you about the fighting mentallity of a team , Thats why I miss our 97,98 teams, McCarty , Kocur , Lapointe , Shanny , Hell , Vladdy could kick canadian boys asses.

I was equally impressed by the wings , But I do disagree with the best team winning , I was dissapionted we didnt beat them , but happy we got that far.

I knew Markov had the scrapper in him, and to fight such a useless 1 dimensional player ( That dimension beign fighting ;)) tells me alot about him, That he is a badass.

Good to have you back Lou ! ( Cant wait to hear what you have to say when the wings sign Smyth in the offseason :yowza: )

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

I'm all for having Malts back. I thought about it, and while 3 years might be too long, NEXT YEAR is certainly not.

Great season! I am very happy with how things turned out.

Ah Lou. Nice to see you back. ;)

I agree with all your thoughts, except Maltby. I still like Maltby personally, so maybe that's why I'm in favor of keeping him. Everything else you said I tend to agree with otherwise.

Heh, do whatever you can to get McGratten in the lineup for Ottawa. I'd love to see try to get Pronger to drop the gloves. I know he probably wouldn't, but it'll still be cool to watch McGratten going after everyone out there. A fight with Shawn Thornton would be a pretty even match, though I'd still give the edget McGratten. :cool:

I'm Jealous, :lol:

Wow! That was truly one deep hap handed attempt to throw and retrieve your opinions around with egg shells beneath your feet. During your whole whatever it was, with the story of being out of touch, clearly defining a lack of reason why you need an internet connection, I’m compelled to ask what part of your book was supposedly interesting to read, hell, beneficial in any case. So what was it that you actually said, while patting yourself on the back for whatever you probably said to a friend while eating Doritos and playing some video game with topless chicks? :lookaround:

Anyway, what grabbed my attention for a reply to this topic was your enamored personality. Truthfully, I’m awed by the other members (candidates for wives) that offered great affection for the return like some Alexander the Great expedition that returned home after another compelling adventure. Without actually seeing your personality they jump on the wagon with no driver, the cliff hanger continues. Hahahhaha! Man you must love this guff!

Side note: Please be more courteous to your admirers next time with segues that actually flow the read more consistently. I’ll take the time to read more if it’s delivered with less indigestion… bluuurp.

Back to the story:

Adjunct: I’ll be the regular user in this assessment…. Umm Hum (Clearing the knuckles)

Detroit lost because of poor officiating, lackluster performances, some spotty coaching, sprawling idiots, and a lack of luck in the series. Anaheim on the other hand, well, basically they were very lucky at the right times and took advantage when they could. All other subsequent idolatry of the last two sentences can be ignored. END of Story!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love to be heckled by those who look in the mirror and dream the big dream… you know, delusions of grandeur and all, including the Gauntlet…ooops, I dropped it.

Go Wings 2008!!

Wow! That was truly one deep hap handed attempt to throw and retrieve your opinions around with egg shells beneath your feet. During your whole whatever it was, with the story of being out of touch, clearly defining a lack of reason why you need an internet connection, I’m compelled to ask what part of your book was supposedly interesting to read, hell, beneficial in any case. So what was it that you actually said, while patting yourself on the back for whatever you probably said to a friend while eating Doritos and playing some video game with topless chicks? :lookaround:

Anyway, what grabbed my attention for a reply to this topic was your enamored personality. Truthfully, I’m awed by the other members (candidates for wives) that offered great affection for the return like some Alexander the Great expedition that returned home after another compelling adventure. Without actually seeing your personality they jump on the wagon with no driver, the cliff hanger continues. Hahahhaha! Man you must love this guff!

Side note: Please be more courteous to your admirers next time with segues that actually flow the read more consistently. I’ll take the time to read more if it’s delivered with less indigestion… bluuurp.

Back to the story:

Adjunct: I’ll be the regular user in this assessment…. Umm Hum (Clearing the knuckles)

Detroit lost because of poor officiating, lackluster performances, some spotty coaching, sprawling idiots, and a lack of luck in the series. Anaheim on the other hand, well, basically they were very lucky at the right times and took advantage when they could. All other subsequent idolatry of the last two sentences can be ignored. END of Story!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love to be heckled by those who look in the mirror and dream the big dream… you know, delusions of grandeur and all, including the Gauntlet…ooops, I dropped it.

Go Wings 2008!!

:blink:

It's about capacity, you'll have to dig deeper to find meaning.

Thanks for playing though... :lol:

I don't get it?

You have a problem with him giving the Wings credit when he doubted them? Or is it the fact that some of us welcomed him back after not being around for awhile?

I'm Jealous, laugh.gif

Wow! That was truly one deep hap handed attempt to throw and retrieve your opinions around with egg shells beneath your feet. During your whole whatever it was, with the story of being out of touch, clearly defining a lack of reason why you need an internet connection, I’m compelled to ask what part of your book was supposedly interesting to read, hell, beneficial in any case. So what was it that you actually said, while patting yourself on the back for whatever you probably said to a friend while eating Doritos and playing some video game with topless chicks? lookaround.gif

Back to the story:

IPB Image

Hellooooo! Ive been away the past month or so in hell

I don't know if you meant to do this, but with a user name like Lou_Siffer, I laughed when you said you were in "hell". Did you have something to take care of down there? Do the demons slack off when you're gone?

Thanks for the welcome backs! As for Maltby, its just that the Wings have guys that can play his role now. Theres no denying he's going downhill. He just doesnt fit anymore. This has nothing to do money, its about the roster spot. Cleary, regardless of his goal output this season, i still view as a a "grind line type" (hence the new Maltby comparison). He's not going to score 20 goals again, he'll probably be around 10 which is just fine. Maltby simply isnt needed anymore...

Detroit Fan - I just dont see them dishing the dollars out for Smyth with Zetterberg nearing the end of his contract. But yeah, i'd love to get him!

Kp - If Thornton dresses, he'll probably be a thorn in Neil's side constantly trying to get him to go and rile him into taking penalties. So having McGrattan in does make a little sense to neutralize him. Do you think if i send that logic Murray's way he'll bite? (he'd also own Shawn if they scrapped imo). Alot of credit for the Ducks does go to Bryan Murray, but Burke is responsible for the toughness aspect of the team. He's an ******* too...I like the guy!

I don't know if you meant to do this, but with a user name like Lou_Siffer, I laughed when you said you were in "hell". Did you have something to take care of down there? Do the demons slack off when you're gone?

I love throwing intended puns in every post, way to pick up on it. Yeah a few were slacking, I had to fire them.

Back to the story:

Go Wings 2008!!

[insert scene from Billy Madison]

Edited by Lou_Siffer

Guest ZDH

Back to the story:

Go Wings 2008!!

I have no idea what he just said.

I have no idea what he just said.

I know exactly what you mean. I read it and I was all "like, what is this dude talkin' about"... then I dropped some killa LSD and then it became, like, real meaningful and deep, y'know, and it made complete sense and like, answered all questions. I think that post is the solution for creating whirled peas.

BTW, I also saw God (Lou_Siffer, he's looking for you and boy is he PISSED!) and he really IS Yzerman.

Ewww absolutely not!

Sorry, after reading this i just couldnt resist :lol:

Welcome back Lou, Burke has done a great job with the Ducks, but credit also has to go to Brain Murray. He drafted a lot of those guys on the Ducks. Of course now he had a hand in the Wings being so successful. Maybe this man (Murray) will finally get his due. I think it will be a great series, both team are touch and physical. From an "Old Time Hockey" standpoint this is great. :clap::clap:

Absolutely. Murray gets a ton of credit. After all, Burke is not responsible for Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, etc. However, his finishing touches getting guys like Beauchemin and Pronger were critical pieces. You know, i think an interesting comparison can be drawn to Ken Holland in the late 90's and what he inherited. Anyone that denies Burke credit for this team should also deny Holland credit for the 98 Cup.

Murray gets a ton of credit. After all, Burke is not responsible for Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, etc. However, his finishing touches getting guys like Beauchemin and Pronger were critical pieces. You know, i think an interesting comparison can be drawn to Ken Holland in the late 90's and what he inherited. Anyone that denies Burke credit for this team should also deny Holland credit for the 98 Cup.

There is a slight difference. Holland was serving as assistant GM for 3 years before taking on the role of GM. Plus he served as the head of scouting for 5 years before that and was a scout for us even before that. While I do agree that he doesn't get the full credit for building the Wings cup teams, he does deserve some credit for his role...

I personally do not think the best team oyut of the three won. yes there both good teams but i think detroit was much better. Anaheim had the luck playof bounces, goals, etc that make the playoffs so fun. The officiating could have been better for both teams, yet also the wings power play could have been better late in the series to capitalize on the ducks mistake. But hey im just happy we made it out of the first round and ended up in the "final four" since 2002, yes a cup win would have been nice but i was pleased with our team this year and look at it like a cup win due to the bad years before.

Finally got around to reading... glad I did :clap:

Welcome back?