82 replies to this topic

#21 FunkyBlueFish203

FunkyBlueFish203

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,846 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 06:48 PM

Yes.

Bertuzzi played even though he was not completely healthy. He was getting better, he had an awesome game against Anaheim but then hurt his back. Before joining the Wings, he had played just 15 games in Florida so we knew it was going to take him some time to get going. The Wings recognize what he brings to the table, especially since he will be completely rested to start next season. I think there is interest from both sides to get a deal done. It's going to come down to numbers. Hopefully Bertuzzi stays.

"He sits next to Steve in that locker room for a reason -- because we wanted him to internalize some of those things. Steve was able to will this organization to unbelievable years with the three Stanley Cups, and now it's up to someone else. Z has that kind of will and that work ethic and that passion to be the best. It's going to be his time." -- Coach Mike Babcock

DOPASAPA est. 2006, President

#22 njf520

njf520

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:02 PM

people who think he will become the bertuzzi of old are kidding themselves. if we can get him for $2mil or under, i am fine with it but he made $5.4mil last season. he isn't going to take a 60% paycut.

people keep saying, "and he says he wants to stay!" um...of course he is saying that. makes no sense for him to say, "i don't know if i like this place" before he has heard holland's offer.

i really think another team will offer him $4mil or so and detroit won't counter.

just one man's opinion.

QUOTE(HockeyCrazy3033 @ May 27, 2007 - 06:34PM) View Post

Yes indeed.

I want him to be a Wing for a long, long time.

you do realize bertuzzi will be 33 half way through next season. i don't see him playing past age 36 at most. and with his skills already declining, he has at best 2 years with any kind of productivity left.

you did notice the way he ducks out of the way when playing in front of the net, right? not sure why people love this guy.

#23 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(njf520 @ May 27, 2007 - 07:57PM) View Post
people who think he will become the bertuzzi of old are kidding themselves. if we can get him for $2mil or under, i am fine with it but he made $5.4mil last season. he isn't going to take a 60% paycut.

people keep saying, "and he says he wants to stay!" um...of course he is saying that. makes no sense for him to say, "i don't know if i like this place" before he has heard holland's offer.

i really think another team will offer him $4mil or so and detroit won't counter.

just one man's opinion.

No. There's a difference between someone saying they want to stay because they 'have' to say that, and someone that keeps saying in every interview that he absolutely loves it here, loves the organizations, the guys, fans, and that it's a special team. He doesn't have to say all that, yet he does. I'm guessing he's being completely honest.

QUOTE(njf520 @ May 27, 2007 - 08:02PM) View Post

just one man's opinion.

you do realize bertuzzi will be 33 half way through next season. i don't see him playing past age 36 at most. and with his skills already declining, he has at best 2 years with any kind of productivity left.

you did notice the way he ducks out of the way when playing in front of the net, right? not sure why people love this guy.

Right. Because we all know when you reach the age of 33 that it means your career is about to go downhill. Bertuzzi has plenty of years left in him. He's been nowhere near effective as he was with the Nucks for two reasons: 1. The incident 2. His awful back injury. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to realize that injuring your back is probably the worst thing for an athlete to do. If your back is messed up, then you're going to be completely useless out there. He came back too soon because of the playoffs. He played around what 65%? And yet he still looked pretty decent, and started looking really good in the last series. The Wings know that if this guy is completely healthy, works out, gets back into form, and has a training camp under his belt that he's more than capable of being the powerhouse Bertuzzi with loads of talent and skill that he use to be. And you bet I would duck away from the net too if I just had a major back problem, wasn't 100% and on top of that recently had a concussion. You don't take risks to make it worse by getting chopped in the back, or getting a puck thrown at your face.

"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#24 Offsides

Offsides

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:10 PM

Indeed. No need to lavish compliments if you don't really want to stay. Gotta love Bert!

You can thank OsGod for Bert loving Detroit. When he came back from suspension in his first game here we went down shook his hand and welcomed him back to the NHL. That's gotta count for something (OsGod's idea) biggrin.gif

Edited by Offsides, 27 May 2007 - 07:11 PM.

Posted Image

#25 njf520

njf520

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE(HockeyCrazy3033 @ May 27, 2007 - 07:10PM) View Post

No. There's a difference between someone saying they want to stay because they 'have' to say that, and someone that keeps saying in every interview that he absolutely loves it here, loves the organizations, the guys, fans, and that it's a special team. He doesn't have to say all that, yet he does. I'm guessing he's being completely honest.
Right. Because we all know when you reach the age of 33 that it means your career is about to go downhill. Bertuzzi has plenty of years left in him. He's been nowhere near effective as he was with the Nucks for two reasons: 1. The incident 2. His awful back injury. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to realize that injuring your back is probably the worst thing for an athlete to do. If your back is messed up, then you're going to be completely useless out there. He came back too soon because of the playoffs. He played around what 65%? And yet he still looked pretty decent, and started looking really good in the last series. The Wings know that if this guy is completely healthy, works out, gets back into form, and has a training camp under his belt that he's more than capable of being the powerhouse Bertuzzi with loads of talent and skill that he use to be. And you bet I would duck away from the net too if I just had a major back problem, wasn't 100% and on top of that recently had a concussion. You don't take risks to make it worse by getting chopped in the back, or getting a puck thrown at your face.

i point wasn't that he is 33 and therefore his career will now go downhill. my point is that yes, just as you said, back surgery is very serious and since that surgery he has not been 100% yet, and i don't think he will ever be 100% again. same thing happened with a friend of mine, wendel clark. hurt his back and was never the same. people said that the reason he wasn't playing as well was because he hurt his back. true. problem was he couldn't get back to 100%...and i don't thnk bert will either.

either way, i'd be interested to know what amount of money people would want to see the wings pay bert. i say $2mil or under.

#26 Jon_G

Jon_G

Top Prospect

• Gold Booster
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 07:56 PM

I love Bertuzzi and I want him back more then anything this summer. I would be comfortable with the Wings paying him up to $5 mil next season. A healthy Bertuzzi is worth more than $5 mil. If they lock him up to a multi-year deal, I'm getting my Bertuzzi jersey the next day
Posted Image

#27 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:06 PM

Yes. He proved himself in the Anaheim series, and was slowly getting better. Now he just has to get healthy, and stay healthy, and we'll all be good. cool.gif

#28 RedRockit

RedRockit

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(Offsides @ May 27, 2007 - 08:10PM) View Post

You can thank OsGod for Bert loving Detroit. When he came back from suspension in his first game here we went down shook his hand and welcomed him back to the NHL. That's gotta count for something (OsGod's idea) biggrin.gif

cool.gif and clap.gif Classy move, I'm sure it meant a great deal to him. (wut no roses? corsage? Didn't anyone ever tell OsGod that if he's gonna go out with a new guy for hockey season he should at least bring him chocolates?)

Bert stays, I hope. I'm not as concerned about the back injury issue as perhaps I should be: he had a relatively strong finish to the playoff season despite the injured tailbone, and I just love his attitude and ethic and the strong desire he showed. I think he's got a lot of great hockey miles to go on him, and I can't see us getting anyone near his quality for the price I'm thinking Holland's gonna get him to agree to.

Edited by RedRockit, 27 May 2007 - 08:17 PM.

"This is hockey, OK? It's not rocket surgery." - Donnie Shulzhoffer

#29 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:31 PM

If we don't keep him, he is going to dominate with another team.... I'd rather have him doing that here..... cool.gif

#30 Dano33

Dano33

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:38 PM

No thank you. i am not a bertuzzi fan and i dont want him back. i know he was hurt, but he showed absolutely no heart out there. if he was healthy enough to play, then he was healthy enough to give some sort of effort, and he didn't. he was lazier than lang and i don't recall him winning one battle for the puck. spend the money on someone else who gives a s*** and will actually help this team out.
"I can't believe I shook this guy's friggen hand." -Dino Ciccarelli

"Don't think, just play." -Curtis Granderson, always a Tiger

#31 Chelios57

Chelios57

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:43 PM

Yes.
Atlanta Thrashers: 1999-2011

WINTER CLASSIC 2013

"When you want to measure yourself, you don't measure yourself against, no disrespect to TORONTO or any other team that I can think of right now, you measure yourself against the Detroit Red Wings. They are the best in the league, and whether they won last year's Cup or didn't win last year's Cup, they're the measuring stick." - Bruce Boudreau

#32 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE(Dano33 @ May 27, 2007 - 09:38PM) View Post
No thank you. i am not a bertuzzi fan and i dont want him back. i know he was hurt, but he showed absolutely no heart out there. if he was healthy enough to play, then he was healthy enough to give some sort of effort, and he didn't. he was lazier than lang and i don't recall him winning one battle for the puck. spend the money on someone else who gives a s*** and will actually help this team out.

You mean how whenever he had the puck and one or two guys were on him, he'd push them off with one hand and singlehandedly carry the puck from end to end? Or when he'd steal the puck in the corners and do what I just mentioned all over again?

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033, 27 May 2007 - 08:56 PM.

#33 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,797 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 08:53 PM

a healthy Bertuzzi can be the best player in hockey.

If he ever gets his 03/04 form back , he'll be a monster

#NOMOREKINDL

#34 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:04 PM

Absolutely.

We finally saw Bertuzzi getting better despite his back injury during the middle part of the Duck series.

We all know how much of a pain in the a** he was to play against in the opening round of the 2002 playoffs back in the Vancouver days, we all know what he can bring to the table.

He has some time to get healthy now without any major travel over the next few months, he can re-cooperate in Detroit or back in his home in Kitchener and get better.

We've read that he wants to stay with the Wings, it's a managable distance from his home. Hopefully Bertuzzi and Holland can come towards some mutual agreement for a contract that is somewhat less than the $5M he was roughly making this year.

I'd say a 2/3 year deal around $3M a year might make sense, but I'm no GM so who knows.....

Maybe offer him an incentive laden contract like the Wings did with Hasek this past season? It's kind of a similar scenario. You know what Bertuzzi can bring to the table, much like Hasek this past season, but health is/was in question.

#35 njf520

njf520

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(HockeyCrazy3033 @ May 27, 2007 - 08:51PM) View Post

You mean how whenever he had the puck and one or two guys were on him, he'd push them off with one hand and singlehandedly carry the puck from end to end? Or when he'd steal the puck in the corners and do what I just mentioned all over again?

well, i'm glad we're not exaggerating his play in the playoffs...geez.

#36 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,358 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE(njf520 @ May 27, 2007 - 10:06PM) View Post

well, i'm glad we're not exaggerating his play in the playoffs...geez.

Did I say that it was the way he played the entire post season? No. Did I say he'd steal the puck constantly? No. I believe I said whenever he had the puck, be it was often or rarely..when he had it he did his thing.

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033, 27 May 2007 - 09:17 PM.

#37 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,797 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:21 PM

Man , If only there were no salary cap.

We could sign our 2nd line. It'd be Smyth-Drury-Bertuzzi. That'd be sweet.

But Bert definately has to come back , for like 3 years

#NOMOREKINDL

#38 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:22 PM

In short, as long as he can be signed for a resonable price. And remember, if we resign him, we lose a first rounder. That's a lot to give up on something you arne't sure about.

#39 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(Detroit # 1 Fan @ May 27, 2007 - 09:53PM) View Post

a healthy Bertuzzi can be the best player in hockey.

If he ever gets his 03/04 form back , he'll be a monster

2002/2003 was his best season. Unless you want him to go out there and break some necks, I don't think you want him in his 2003/2004 form.

#40 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,797 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE(Kp-Wings @ May 27, 2007 - 10:57PM) View Post

2002/2003 was his best season. Unless you want him to go out there and break some necks, I don't think you want him in his 2003/2004 form.

02/03 , Thats what I meant, Thats for catching that , I dont want him breaking any necks. Unless its Claude Lemeuix or Chris Pronger. But even Prongers a strech

#NOMOREKINDL