• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest DetroitIan

Does everyone want Bert to re-sign?

Rate this topic

So what you are saying then is Zeta is also damaged good and should be let go or signed for a heavily reduced paycheck.

Nope apples to oranges, or power forwards to centermen if you like.

people who think he will become the bertuzzi of old are kidding themselves. if we can get him for $2mil or under, i am fine with it but he made $5.4mil last season. he isn't going to take a 60% paycut.

Teemu Selanne earned 5.8 million before the lockout. Then he had knee surgery and came back with 1.0 million contract. Ultimate cheap contract just because he wanted to play in Anaheim. He socred 90 points during that contract.

I think the situation is quite same here. Todd wants to come back as a Wing no matter what. Todd is going to take huge paycut and will make 1-year deal. Then if he manages to play a good season, he will get a raise to the next season.

Like Selanne did, he's earning 3.5 mil now.

Edited by Henkka

I love Bertuzzi and I want him back more then anything this summer. I would be comfortable with the Wings paying him up to $5 mil next season. A healthy Bertuzzi is worth more than $5 mil. If they lock him up to a multi-year deal, I'm getting my Bertuzzi jersey the next day

bertuzzis back is the question when it comes to the back no one knows

To me this is a no brainer. He's big, physical, goes to the net, and he has already expressed a desire to be back in the Winged Wheel. Sounds great to me. Look at all the good things we saw in the little time he was here. Once we have him all season, its gonna be clear why we are keeping him. :clap:

Do I want to see Bert at 100% in a Wings jersey, charging the net and making plays happen like he did in Vancouver? Sweet lord.....YES!!!!!! He's got the potential, and the veteran experience, he's a tested playmaker that knows he can have a shot at the cup here.

Finances are the only roadblock, with Lang and Calder probably not coming back hopefully we can ink Bert for around 3.5 - 4.5M, but that's probably wishful thinking considering he made 5.2M or something in his Panthers contract. I'd just hate to lose a good FA like Schneider or Markov to throw a big contract at him, if we can get him at a reasonable price without losing someone else thats playing well I'd love it.

Finances are the only roadblock, with Lang and Calder probably not coming back hopefully we can ink Bert for around 3.5 - 4.5M, but that's probably wishful thinking considering he made 5.2M or something in his Panthers contract.

I can bet that Bert is going to take less than 3.5 million and it even isn't wishful thinking.

Just look what GM Kenny does. He is a wizard in handling these kind of situations, when players future considering his health is a little uncertain and the player has a strong will to stay.

I can bet that Bert is going to take less than 3.5 million and it even isn't wishful thinking.

Just look what GM Kenny does. He is a wizard in handling these kind of situations, when players future considering his health is a little uncertain and the player has a strong will to stay.

My thinking exactly. Holland is holding a lot of good cards here and I bet he wins this particular pot.

Servo's knowledgeable medico post bummed me out however-- it knocked my rose-colored glasses off, a little. The likelihood of a return to greatness from Bert seems no longer feasible, so in that case, are his skills still worth keeping for the Wings next run?

I'm sure that Babs will have some input on this-- it comes down to what he needs, and what he can reasonably expect, from Bert.

If not signing Bert gives us a shot at Smyth then I am very torn. But if a definite no on Smyth I say go for Bert for sure.

i say sign bert and hasek to incentive laden contracts something to protect them if bertuzzis back acts up sorta like the tigs did with pudge

I had a feeling I shouldn't have opened this thread. It's the vast majority ganging up on two or three people who think differently. I'd like to join that minority.

I'm not interesting in having Bertuzzi return. He DOES seem happy here, and I heard it through the grapevine that he's closed on a house in Northville - so I'm pretty certain that he WILL be back. But, I wasn't impressed with his physical play this post-season, except for a handful of times when he was very strong on the puck behind the net. But he wasn't the force I was hoping he'd be - and maybe it's not fair to ask that of him, being that he's still recovering from back surgery. Like I said in another thread, perhaps he needs a full season in the system to make a full recovery and put his head in the game, but judged simply on what was seen during this post-season, I would throw my vote in for no.

I had a feeling I shouldn't have opened this thread. It's the vast majority ganging up on two or three people who think differently. I'd like to join that minority.

I'm not interesting in having Bertuzzi return. He DOES seem happy here, and I heard it through the grapevine that he's closed on a house in Northville - so I'm pretty certain that he WILL be back. But, I wasn't impressed with his physical play this post-season, except for a handful of times when he was very strong on the puck behind the net. But he wasn't the force I was hoping he'd be - and maybe it's not fair to ask that of him, being that he's still recovering from back surgery. Like I said in another thread, perhaps he needs a full season in the system to make a full recovery and put his head in the game, but judged simply on what was seen during this post-season, I would throw my vote in for no.

That's just silly. Not what you think about Bert, but that you opened a topic that you believed to be in the minority opinion, and then expected to not be in the minority opinion? Confusing.

So, you say Bert will be my neighbor, eh? Just one more reason he should stay on the team, imo.

As for Ryan Smyth...I'd rather have a player we can definitely get, as opposed to throwing our hat in a ring of a player we probably won't get. Sign that Bertuzzi!

That's just silly. Not what you think about Bert, but that you opened a topic that you believed to be in the minority opinion, and then expected to not be in the minority opinion? Confusing.

No, I fully expected to be in the minority, I'm just really disappointed with how the majority is treating that minority. What I meant with the opening statement of my post was that topics like this one aren't usually met uniformly - and some people like to gang up on others and I'm not sure why this one would have been any different.

So, you say Bert will be my neighbor, eh? Just one more reason he should stay on the team, imo.

Ha. I'm sure this reason is right up there on his list of positives of the area hahaha... but yeah, that's a rumor I heard - that he bought Dre Bly's old house in Northville. I'm no real estate agent, so I can't confirm that, but it sounded pretty credible to me. Especially when teamed up with reports of how much he enjoyed the locker room, the reception he received and the area.

Edited by JeeSpot82

No, I fully expected to be in the minority, I'm just really disappointed with how the majority is treating that minority. What I meant with the opening statement of my post was that topics like this one aren't usually met uniformly - and some people like to gang up on others and I'm not sure why this one would have been any different.

Ha. I'm sure this reason is right up there on his list of positives of the area hahaha... but yeah, that's a rumor I heard - that he bought Dre Bly's old house in Northville. I'm no real estate agent, so I can't confirm that, but it sounded pretty credible to me. Especially when teamed up with reports of how much he enjoyed the locker room, the reception he received and the area.

I don't think anyone is jumping on anyone on here for having a difference of an opinion. We are just letting our opinions be known and are standing by it..that's all.

Guest DetroitIan

Honestly, considering all Berts talk about how great this organization is, and how great the lockerroom is, I really believe that he will take a paycut to remain with the Wings. Im not sure how much we're talkin, but Im very confident in the fact that he won't ask for what he made last season. Players know that sometimes if you wanna be with a Stanley Cup contender, you have to sacrafice a little pay. And in my opinion, Bert would probably rather take a little paycut to be on one of the best teams in the league, rather then make more money with a lower-teered club. Im very confident that not only will he re-sign, but we will get him for a reasonable price. No doubt in my mind.