• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Kp-Wings

Canadians apparently prefer the Ducks

Rate this topic

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=209054&hubname=nhl

Honestly, Canadians are so of the weirdest people I've ever seen. Here, a team from Canada makes the SCF, and yet they prefer to root for a team from California just because they have more Canadian players. I seriously can't believe how much the Canadian media has their collective lips glued to the ass of Chris Pronger. Is it only Americans, and perhaps the spare few Canadians, that actually see Pronger for the piece of crap he is? I guess so.

This whole thing kinda makes me wonder that, if Mexico City had a team, yet their captain was Chris Pronger, they'd prefer to root for them rather than a Canadian team with a European or American captain. It's really funny, and stupid, when you think about it.

So yeah, discuss if you want. I found this article really funny, simpily because the Canadian media prefers to root against a Canadian team. It's not only in Toronto. This is stuff coming out of Vancouver, and even Edmonton. The Pronger debacle must mean nothing to them as long as he's a "Good Canadian Boy".

Oddly enough, that was the Michael J. Fox (Spin City, etc.) commenting about it. I'm surprised he would root for Anaheim, since he is a Canucks fan, and the Ducks eliminated them.

Oh well. Just some peoples opinions I guess. Still weird though.

I'd figure that after 13 years of no cup (totally going by what some site said) it'd be time to root for the Sens... guess not though, for whatever reason Canadians have.

Still seems really odd though.

I know a few guys around that are cheering for the ducks but I would still say 80% of the people I know are cheering for the sens. Maybe its different in other areas of Canada....

Honestly, Canadians are so of the weirdest people I've ever seen. Here, a team from Canada makes the SCF, and yet they prefer to root for a team from California just because they have more Canadian players. I seriously can't believe how much the Canadian media has their collective lips glued to the ass of Chris Pronger. Is it only Americans, and perhaps the spare few Canadians, that actually see Pronger for the piece of crap he is? I guess so.

This whole thing kinda makes me wonder that, if Mexico City had a team, yet their captain was Chris Pronger, they'd prefer to root for them rather than a Canadian team with a European or American captain. It's really funny, and stupid, when you think about it.

So yeah, discuss if you want. I found this article really funny, simpily because the Canadian media prefers to root against a Canadian team. It's not only in Toronto. This is stuff coming out of Vancouver, and even Edmonton. The Pronger debacle must mean nothing to them as long as he's a "Good Canadian Boy".

The Canadian Media is not kissing Pronger's ass. In fact, Burke and Pronger gave the impression that they in part blamed the pressure from the Canadian media for his suspension.

Also, this is one article entitle "Some Canadian Fans Favour the Ducks." On TSN one day they did the top ten reasons to cheer for the Senators, and the next day they did the top 10 reasons to cheer for the Ducks. They are simply trying to satisfy both Canadians that are cheering for the Sens, and those that are cheering for the Ducks.

Just because you are Canadian doesn't mean you should cheer for the Ducks. Some of the fans from the largest fanbase in the world, the Leafs, are cheering for the Ducks because they couldn't live with their arch-rivals winning the Cup while they are still in the midst of a 40+ year drought; one that looks like it will last a lot longer too....

I doubt there are a lot of fans in Edmonton cheering for the Ducks, after what Pronger did to them last summer....

Then you have to take into account the Canadians that are natural Ducks fans.... I am a Canadian Wing's fan. There is no reason to believe that there wouldn't be any Canadian Ducks fans, especially ones formed from the popularity of the Mighty Ducks Movies. In fact, I know one personally......

From my experiences and conversations and whatnot since the Finals have been determined, there are many more Canadians rooting for the Sens than those for the Ducks.....Ultimately everyone has to make up their own mind about who they want to win based on their own reasoning, but consider the fact that it's usually the minority that gets more press.......

My buddy from the north loves Canada of course, but he also wants the ducks to win !? it doesn't make since to me. he says that a lot of Canadians don't like the sens. oh well I want the sens to take it all. Canada needs a cup

Oddly enough, that was the Michael J. Fox (Spin City, etc.) commenting about it. I'm surprised he would root for Anaheim, since he is a Canucks fan, and the Ducks eliminated them.

Or maybe he never really burned that Grey's Sports Almanac afterall and just knows something we dont

Guest ZDH

So yeah, discuss if you want. I found this article really funny, simply because the Canadian media prefers to root against a Canadian team. It's not only in Toronto. This is stuff coming out of Vancouver, and even Edmonton. The Pronger debacle must mean nothing to them as long as he's a "Good Canadian Boy".

I'm a Canadian. First off us Canadians do not all think alike. Just like you Americans do not all think alike.

Secondly, I want the Sens to win because I do not like the Ducks or Brian Burke. I hated the guy when he was in Vancouver. To me the Ducks have fluked their way to the Cup Final while Ottawa has earned it.

Many Canadians do not like Ottawa because they are Leaf fans. Leaf fans hate the Sens. Sens fans hate the Leafs. It's a hated rivalry. Many other Canadian fans cheer for the Habs. They also hate the Sens only to a smaller degree.

Alot of Canadians lose interest in the playoffs once the Leafs are eliminated. The Red Wings are well supported in Canada. Where I am in Goderich, Ontario, there is still alot of support for the Red Wings because in the 1950's the Red Wings owned the Goderich Siftos. The Siftos were one of the minor league teams the Red Wings back then.

Anyway, many Canadian fans jumped on the Calgary bandwagon in '04 and with the Oilers in '06. But that is because the Leafs have no rivalry with either of those teams.

I also think the Sens have choked for so many seasons that fans are sick of picking them to win only to be proven wrong. So it's like "show me you can do it already."

I for one want the Sens to win because I think they are the best team this year. Still have to play the games though. I've watched these playoffs very closely and to me Ottawa is playing at a much higher level than Anaheim is. I expect Ottawa in 4. I don't believe the Ducks are good enough to beat them. We'll see what happens.

As for Pronger, the guy is so overrated it isn't even funny. Everytime he plays for Team Canada he stinks. He's always the worst dman. I've seen the Wings ***** slap Pronger in the playoffs so many times I've lost count. So he's won the last 2 series' vs the Wings. What's the record now? 2-4 in playoff series'? Anaheim actually played better without Pronger in the line-up.

People have a thing it seems with California teams. Most fans never, or rarely see teams like San Jose and Anaheim play and really know nothing about them. So they are always the "cool pick." Like "I'm picking the Ducks." See it sounds so cool to the casual fan. Or "I like the Sharks." Again it sounds cool. So everyone does it.

The real fans know Ottawa will win this series. So I am picking the Sens, whether it's the cool thing to do or not! GO SENS!

Edited by ZDH

Secondly, I want the Sens to win because I do not like the Ducks or Brian Burke. I hated the guy when he was in Vancouver. To me the Ducks have fluked their way to the Cup Final while Ottawa has earned it.

4-1

4-1

4-2

Hardly a fluke

They lost 4 games total in 3 series...give me a break!

Ehh, I'm not making too much of this article, it's just a journalistic hook devised to spark debate (which it's doing quite well here, heh). To add my tuppence: don't forget Pronger was a big part in winning a gold medal for CAN in the Olys-- the first one in 50 years. While Canada may divide their loyalties when it comes to the NHL, they are united in passion for their national team, and Pronger's been on three of 'em.

My buddy from the north loves Canada of course, but he also wants the ducks to win !? it doesn't make since to me. he says that a lot of Canadians don't like the sens. oh well I want the sens to take it all. Canada needs a cup

A non-hockey friend from Ontario tells me the same thing-- it's the Leafs Effect.

Guest ZDH

4-1

4-1

4-2

Hardly a fluke

They lost 4 games total in 3 series...give me a break!

No you give me a break. I've seen all 3 of the Ducks series'. Have you? I'm guessing not. They got a fortunate draw vs sub par teams. Minnesota has Gaborik as the only player who can score. Vancouver is all Luongo and nothing else. Detroit were missing their top 2 dmen and had to have fluky goals win them the series. It all evens out in the end. Sens in 4.

There is more leafs fans than any other fan of any team in Canada. The Majority of Canadian hockey fans are leafs fans. And anyone who is a "TRUE" leafs fan hates the Sens, thus making the majority of people wanting the Lucks to win cuase they are all bitter leafs fans. My Father is a hardcore Leafs fan and wants the Lucks to win, and all the other Leaf fans I've talked to (and trust me this is alot) want the Lucks to win. I on the other hand hate all Canadian teams, but my hatred for Pronger runs so deep that I want the Sens to win, I hope that douch never wins a cup.

No you give me a break. I've seen all 3 of the Ducks series'. Have you? I'm guessing not. They got a fortunate draw vs sub par teams. Minnesota has Gaborik as the only player who can score. Vancouver is all Luongo and nothing else. Detroit were missing their top 2 dmen and had to have fluky goals win them the series. It all evens out in the end. Sens in 4.

Yes, I have. Its amazing to me that a team who's been favored in every round, and only lost 4 games, can be called lucky and a fluke.

Guest ZDH

Yes, I have. Its amazing to me that a team who's been favored in every round, and only lost 4 games, can be called lucky and a fluke.

It helps if you actually watch the games.

I'm sorry if I offended any Canadians in this topic, but still. I really think it's strange that, here you have a team representing your country, yet some Canadians (outside of Toronto mind you) are actually doing the unthinkable and rooting for an American team. A team that also plays in an area where, if you are a purist, thinks shouldn't even have a team. This is all because they have more Canadians. It's just weird.

T-Ruff - The media loves Chris Pronger. Just read TSN, NHL.com, The Hockey News, or basically any other form of sports media. They all think this guy is the best defenseman in the league. And yes, they all like to you use the (stupid) phrase "Good Canadian Boy" to describe him a lot.

I kinda have to disagree with that one... We still had Norris canidate Nick playing... I hardly doubt he is 3rd best on our team.

The Mighty Phucks while 100% annoying found ways to get goals when it mattered most against us.

Guest ZDH

I kinda have to disagree with that one... We still had Norris canidate Nick playing... I hardly doubt he is 3rd best on our team.

The Mighty Phucks while 100% annoying found ways to get goals when it mattered most against us.

Yikes. I meant to say 2 of our top 4 dmen. I still stand by my comments. The Ducks have fluked their way to the Cup Final. No one cares. They're still playing and the Wings are not.