• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Donaldjr2448

Nashville Staying put!

Rate this topic

As I was picking up lunch at McDonalds this afternoon, I glanced over at the Tennessean newpaper and saw the main headline stating that the "NHL Boss says Predators are staying put" Now the NHL boss would be our great friend Gary Betman. For further details you can read the Tennessean @ www.tennessean.com under todays date May 29, 2007. Thought most of you would like this info.

I hope they stay put, I have family there and it's a great place to watch the Wings play live a couple of times a year and it is becoming a good rivalry. They rarely come to Florida anymore.

He can say what he wants, and Balsillie will say the same thing. But actions speak louder than words. And if the fans here drop the ball, and give Balsillie an opportunity to get out of town, I don't expect Bettman to be fighting too hard against it.

btw Donald. Do you buy preds tickets?

He can say what he wants, and Balsillie will say the same thing. But actions speak louder than words. And if the fans here drop the ball, and give Balsillie an opportunity to get out of town, I don't expect Bettman to be fighting too hard against it.

Its funny I don't buy them because I usually get them from work. I usually can only attend when the Wings are in town because I have school at night. I do hope they stay I think the city would be losing a good thing, but I see this new owner moving them out!!

Guest DetroitIan

Absolutely nothing has been confirmed on the preds staying in Nashville. I think this is a case of their newspaper and their wishfull thinking.

Guest snowman89

The Tennessean is a joke. Anything hockey related in the Tennessean is usually found on the back of a cereal box. Not a credable source at all.

Not really a need for bashing the Tennessean, this is an associated press article that they put in there paper. Yes, the article really does not say much though. The owner will not show his hand until he has the team purchased so he can obtain approval from the other owners.

The Tennessean is a joke. Anything hockey related in the Tennessean is usually found on the back of a cereal box. Not a credable source at all.

I have read the newspaper a couple of times here in tennessee and I found that it was pretty creditable, however there hockey coverage is terrible to say the least, that is why I found it so wierd that they had that article on the front page today, I truly believe that it was a publicity stunt, we'll see.

Not really a need for bashing the Tennessean, this is an associated press article that they put in there paper. Yes, the article really does not say much though. The owner will not show his hand until he has the team purchased so he can obtain approval from the other owners.

Fine then. The Tennessean is a joke when it comes to hockey coverage.

Everyone happy now? :P

Well I wasn't expecting Bettman to say "Oh and yeah unfortunately, Nashville might be moving." This guy will say anything to just to church up the NHL's image. How can I really respect somebody who still thinks that there's a heated rivalry between Colorado and Detroit to this date, and is supposed to be the commissioner! We shall see. I just don't trust Bettman's words at this point.

I got to hand it to you for having a realistic view about it.

Guest jaytan

Obviously, they can't move next season. After that, nothing is guaranteed, as far as I can tell.

Everyone is going to play the politician at this point and say that they have no intentions of moving the team, why? Because is a move is a done deal say goodbye to any hopes of corporate sponsorship for the upcoming season as well as the fans jumping ship. Season ticket sales will tank. When bad news is coming generally you wait till the last foreseeable moment to confirm it. I'm not saying they are leaving for sure but it would take an act of God for them to stay in nashville beyond this next season.

With at least one season left in Nashville, it would be horrible PR to announce now that there's a chance of anything happening other than the Preds staying.

Legally, they can't leave....yet. Until the time comes when they can legally leave, I don't think you'll see Bettman or Balsillie change their respective tunes. They'll keep saying what they have to say to keep lawyers on all sides happy.

You could see in Bettman's remarks that he's already blaming the demise of the Preds on the corporate ticket buyers (or lack thereof). He's planting the seeds now so that he can stay squeaky clean when the time comes to move the club. He can just blame it on the suits and move on.

Bettman knows that he has to go back to Canada. A team (or two) in Canada can drive revenues even higher because it'll add to the value of Canadian TV rights, nevermind that the Canadian dollar (which should be par or more valuable than the American dollar soon) now allows for Canadian teams to not only survive, but to make lots of money. It used to be that Canadian teams took a huge hit because they took in Canadian money, but had to pay salaries in the much more valuable American currency. It could soon be that they will be getting more bang for their buck, which serves to make a Canadian move that much more attractive.

Of course, Gary can't admit to such things until the time comes to move a team or two. He has to tow the company line (30 teams in their current markets) until the dynamics change.

If Balsillie was looking to keep the team in Nashville, he would've got the team dirt cheap. He paid a premium because he has all the intentions in the world of heading north as soon as he can.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Don't kid yourself - at some point in the future they're moving. Of course everyone will say the right thing now, but once the new owner is approved (if) he can more or less do what he wants. Sure, there are some clauses about moving, but if you've looked into it, he'll be able to get around them.

I'm not sure why Bettman is so gung-ho to shove hockey down Southerners' throats. They love Nascar - their choice - I've got no problem with that. Personally I thought a few of those franchises should be relocated or contracted during the lockout (not necessarily the Preds) but Bettman refuses to see the futility in all this...

I'm not sure why Bettman is so gung-ho to shove hockey down Southerners' throats. They love Nascar - their choice - I've got no problem with that. Personally I thought a few of those franchises should be relocated or contracted during the lockout (not necessarily the Preds) but Bettman refuses to see the futility in all this...

Bettman can't make a team move or fold (just ask Bud Selig how much of a pain in the ass unions can be when you try that one) a team. He is simply the representitive of the owners, he does not have the power to move or fold teams on his own.

The owners of the respective teams that have been deemed "unhealthy" by some are the ones that ultimately control their own destiny. Bettman can't just call up Alan Cohen after the lockout to tell him that he's moving the Panthers. If Cohen still wants to make a go of it in Miami, then Bettman has to support him.

Bettman is basically asking for a new job if he goes out and says that the game isn't working in Southern markets and that those teams should move to more hockey-friendly areas. He has to support his employers, the owners. The Board of Governors have the power in the end, but the individual owner has to throw in the towel, first.

True. I remember hearing your owner saying he would not sell the Preds in a interview I think during mid season.

Guest bullocks

Anybody who thinks Ballsillie offered to buy the Predators for $220 million to keep the team in Nashville is a moron.