• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Creasemonkey

Anaheim not exactly the new Hockeytown

Rate this topic

NHL.com

Some say they are fans but it's wise not to scratch too deeply below the surface.

"Yes I am. I live right near where they train for the Ducks," said Anaheim's Sheryl Lobbig, who was taking a break from suntanning. "I like how they get in fights. It's very aggressive. I like the aggressiveness."

But can she name the team facing the Ducks in the final?

"No, not now I can't," she said. "I'm not up on that right now. The Kings?"

Lobbig turned to her two friends.

"Who is the team from Canada?" she asked.

The responses were "Minnesota" and "the Royals".

Ouch.

Ottawa Royals? Hmm, well, it's actually almost close!

Heh, did anyone notice the Wings got a mention in there? Even people who don't watch hockey still know about them. Just goes to show that the Winged Wheel expands far beyond Detroit. :cool:

Edited by Kp-Wings

Guest jaytan

I have to say I'm a bit shocked something like that came from NHL.com

Me too! :o You'd think NHL.com, of all places, would stray as far away from that as possible.... But it was hilarious.

Ottawa Royals? Hmm, well, it's actually almost close!

Heh, did anyone notice the Wings got a mention in there? Even people who don't watch hockey still know about them. Just goes to show that the Winged Wheel expands far beyond Detroit. :cool:

The Winged Wheel is known all around the world . :D:thumbup:

LETS GO RED WINGS!!!!!!!! :clap:

I find this thread particularly funny because I attended game 4 in Anaheim and I saw a girl wearing a sweatshirt that said "Anaheim. The NEW Hockeytown" I took a picture with my camera phone but I can't figure out how to post it. Silly Duck girl

Edited by Bannedforlife

Ok, I have to commiserate here....

Let me preface this by saying that there are plenty of hockey fans in Cali that are legit. Our RWNW president being one of them! My coworker being another. But....

I was taken to game 6 Ducks/Wings by some of my Duck fan neighbors. One of whom is a goalie from candada and a coach to boot, he definitely knew his stuff and was a joy to be around.

The other two (married couple) however....ugh. They spent the whole night asking me the most basic of rules. Icing, Offsides, how a two line pass used to work. It was a little bit disheartening, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt. To be honest, they're trying really hard in Anaheim to emulate a real interest in hockey.

Then the other night happened...

My wife was hosting all the ladies on the street for their book club, and said neighbor shows up and asks my wife the following

1. Did you know that the Stanley Cup is not made new every year for the championship team, and that it has been the same trophy for years and years?

2. Did you know that the rings on the stanley cup have the team names, and that every so often, they take the top ring off and retire it so that more team's names can be added?

My wife was gracious, but wow, just wow. Like we would walk into her house and say 'Hey, I had no idea that the Lakers were a good team in the past!?!'. Don't insult us in our house!

When I was at the game with this couple, I asked the guy if his wife was a So Cal native. His response...'are you kidding me? 6' dyed blone with big fake boobs...yeah, she's from here'

I also saw a sign at the game being held by an Anaheim fan saying 'The REAL Hockeytown'. I laughed.

I better tell my neighbor that the winning team will take an individual lap with the cup, otherwise, she might leave early.

God bless them Duck fans, they may just figure it out yet.

Ok, I laughed.

But this is truly tragic, and I'm not using hyperbole here.

The Ducks have all the pieces in place to win the Cup, and this... THIS... is the reaction?

The NHL's Cup Final has always been a major thing to me, and I didn't grow up in an especially sporto household (only daughter, Dad follows football and baseball, Mom never missed a Buckeye game. No hockey in my home, but I absorbed respect for the league and I always knew who won the Cup).

May Bettman Burn In Heck.

Ok, I laughed.

But this is truly tragic, and I'm not using hyperbole here.

The Ducks have all the pieces in place to win the Cup, and this... THIS... is the reaction?

The NHL's Cup Final has always been a major thing to me, and I didn't grow up in an especially sporto household (only daughter, Dad follows football and baseball, Mom never missed a Buckeye game. No hockey in my home, but I absorbed respect for the league and I always knew who won the Cup).

May Bettman Burn In Heck.

I guess your right , it's kinda sad that their local team is playing for one of the finest Cups and title as thee best NHL team and alot of them don't even know about it. :(

There's so many people here, that it's pretty easy to fill the Ponda. Especially when the team is 'doing good' and 'in the finals'. That said, the average native californian could care so much less about hockey, it's pretty ridiculous.

To give you an idea of how bad it can get around here, remember seeing Lakers games being 1/2 capacity during the regular season last year??? And they're one of the most prolific sports franchises of the past 20 years!

Edited by Bad Vlad Forever

those Canadians are sneeky bastards, waiting for Quak fever to infect the nation before they stage a invasion for some prime Minnesota real estate.

you should have seen the look their faces when they found out the pond was frozen during the game :huh:

There's so many people here, that it's pretty easy to fill the Ponda. Especially when the team is 'doing good' and 'in the finals'. That said, the average native californian could care so much less about hockey, it's pretty ridiculous.

To give you an idea of how bad it can get around here, remember seeing Lakers games being 1/2 capacity during the regular season last year??? And they're one of the most prolific sports franchises of the past 20 years!

*jumps on soapbox*

That's why the NHL should actively promote youth leagues in Sun Belt/rexpansion areas... there is SO much that could be done to promote hockey that just isn't being addressed whatsoever.

*relinquishes soapbox reluctantly*

I wouldn't even single out SCal. If you polled the average American, they will have no idea who is the NHL finals - or even that there is a finals going on.

The guys on sportsradio couldn't even figure out when the games were being played. I myself was combing NBC all day yesterday waiting for the puck to drop. The NHL has terrible PR...

*jumps on soapbox*

That's why the NHL should actively promote youth leagues in Sun Belt/rexpansion areas... there is SO much that could be done to promote hockey that just isn't being addressed whatsoever.

*relinquishes soapbox reluctantly*

Actually, there's a ton of great youth hockey going on here in So Cal. Most of the kids' parents are from the midwest or Canada, but the seeds are being planted.