• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Creasemonkey

Anaheim not exactly the new Hockeytown

Rate this topic

Ish Finley was playing Frisbee with his daughter and although a self-proclaimed football fan, he was aware the Stanley Cup final was going on in Anaheim.

"It's the Ducks and those guys with the Flames," he said. "Flames, Flames Flames-all I can see in my head is the Flames. They are there every year."

Did this guy get hit in the head with the frisbee a lot?

Edited by Jwo

I guess your right , it's kinda sad that their local team is playing for one of the finest Cups and title as thee best NHL team and alot of them don't even know about it. :(

So, they went to the beach on game day (knowing fans would be going to the game by now) and interviewed a chick sun tanning and elementary school children.

The only thing that this demonstrates is how biased the Canadian Media is.

Remember that a lot of SoCal are transplants. Like me from the North East. And my hockey buddy from Montreal.

We (the transplants) do the heavy lifting. And the natives (native Californians) are learning. I've met some pretty passionate locals. It takes time to build history and an entrenched fan base.

Guest ZDH

Did this guy get hit in the head with the frisbee a lot?

This is even funnier. Flames, flames, flames this is all I see running through my head they are there every year...LOL

I have to say I'm a bit shocked something like that came from NHL.com

Same here. That was extremely insulting. They purposely go out of their way to find STUPID 'Ducks fans'. They did the same last season, and then insulted us by saying we didn't even know how to say 'Bryzgalov' before he got big :rolleyes: Bull s***! i know hockey. Born in SoCal. Lived in SoCal for 9 years (3 different times). This pisses me off more than anything, that people can be such ass holes! We knew hockey! EVERYONE has ignorant fans, NHL and other media just like to go out of their way to find the stupid ones. This really pisses me off.

Most residents? That was like 3 or 4. And the fandom spreads past the OC. Ass holes...

Edited by Duckette

Same here. That was extremely insulting. They purposely go out of their way to find STUPID 'Ducks fans'. They did the same last season, and then insulted us by saying we didn't even know how to say 'Bryzgalov' before he got big :rolleyes: Bull s***! i know hockey. Born in SoCal. Lived in SoCal for 9 years (3 different times). This pisses me off more than anything, that people can be such ass holes! We knew hockey! EVERYONE has ignorant fans, NHL and other media just like to go out of their way to find the stupid ones. This really pisses me off.

Most residents? That was like 3 or 4. And the fandom spreads past the OC. Ass holes...

I loved it. Actually got a chuckle outta me. Who cares what NHL.COM and anyone else thinks about the ducks fanbase. GO FLAMES! LOL

I find this thread particularly funny because I attended game 4 in Anaheim and I saw a girl wearing a sweatshirt that said "Anaheim. The NEW Hockeytown" I took a picture with my camera phone but I can't figure out how to post it. Silly Duck girl

what a joke.

go sens.

I'd love to make fun of the Cali NHL 'fans'. Can't.

I was recently asked by a co-worker, (my friend is Fernando, Buenos Aires, Argentina) "so they don't all skate at the same time though right?".........

:::sigh::::: No Fern......that would be over 40 guys on the ice. Nevermind.

wonder why I spend so much time at LGW.

Guest ZDH

I'd love to make fun of the Cali NHL 'fans'. Can't.

I was recently asked by a co-worker, (my friend is Fernando, Buenos Aires, Argentina) "so they don't all skate at the same time though right?".........

:::sigh::::: No Fern......that would be over 40 guys on the ice. Nevermind.

wonder why I spend so much time at LGW.

Thing is, I don't understand basketball. Nor do I ever want to. Maybe that is how some people are with hockey. Unless you grow up with it and be around it all the time, it is very difficult to learn. Not impossible, but to the average new fan of the game.

When I would go fishing up north after the Wings were eliminated, I'd always run into some Americans. They would always ask me "yeww know the score of da baskitball game?" And I'd say "I don't follow the game." And I don't. I could care less. Heck I don't even watch baseball until the playoffs start because compared to hockey, I find it mind numbingly boring. I think I would sooner pick my nose and eat it like most Leaf fans do. Those booger eating bastards are die hard fans though, I tell ya. Stupid and deluded? Of course. But very loyal. This post is now totally off track so I will stop now. I should have stopped at the boogers.

California and the West is a much better place to build a fan base for hockey than the deep south imo. The Kings have been around for how long? 60s I think. Anyhow, Bettman is just determined to cram hockey into Nascar country and it won't work. Just look where all the most recent expansion teams went. They would have been much better off putting the Thrashers or such into the NW - like Seattle or Portland. The agenda of the NHL just perplexes me sometimes...

California and the West is a much better place to build a fan base for hockey than the deep south imo. The Kings have been around for how long? 60s I think. Anyhow, Bettman is just determined to cram hockey into Nascar country and it won't work. Just look where all the most recent expansion teams went. They would have been much better off putting the Thrashers or such into the NW - like Seattle or Portland. The agenda of the NHL just perplexes me sometimes...

Atlanta got an NHL franchise based shearly on numbers. It's a huge city, which made it possible to support an NHL franchise again.

Too bad that Atlanta doesn't have a lot of Northern Transplants, like SoCal or Florida, and the people already there are completely clueless to anything that isn't name Michael Vick or the Atlanta Braves. The NHL has errored on so many things in the past 5-10 years, so this is all just "the norm".

Atlanta got an NHL franchise based shearly on numbers. It's a huge city, which made it possible to support an NHL franchise again.

Too bad that Atlanta doesn't have a lot of Northern Transplants, like SoCal or Florida, and the people already there are completely clueless to anything that isn't name Michael Vick or the Atlanta Braves. The NHL has errored on so many things in the past 5-10 years, so this is all just "the norm".

They should move all the teams back. The expainsion ones that is. Phoenix to winnipeg , Colorado to Quebec. Atlanta and Nashville to a northern american state , or a canadian province. Hockey could become so much more popular if we just put it in the right places.

They should move all the teams back. The expainsion ones that is. Phoenix to winnipeg , Colorado to Quebec. Atlanta and Nashville to a northern american state , or a canadian province. Hockey could become so much more popular if we just put it in the right places.

The Av's can stay in Denver. They have a decent following.

A team that needs to move NOW is the Washington Capitals. The city of DC shows no support for the team at all, and they have such a weak fan base. I'll bet you 95% of the city doesn't even know who Ovechkin is. Although George W. Bush does like hockey, he is one of the few.

Seriously though, the Capitals need to move, and fast. Phoenix is actually a better market for a team than DC. At least the city of Phoenix gives the team some support. The only reason they suck is that Wayne Gretzky, who doesn't know his own ass from a palm tree when it comes to coaching, is the teams coach. Cut him loose, bring in the right players, and the team is good again, and the fans come back. Remember, when the team first moved to Phoenix in the mid 1990's, they actually did have a solid fanbase. I actually advocate keeping them there.

The four teams that need to move are these: Nashville, Atlanta, Miami, and the Capitals. Nashville is just lame, Atlanta just pretends sports don't exist when the Falcons and Braves aren't playing, Miami knows no sports unless success is imminent (the famous "What can you do for me, now" case) and DC is a joke when it comes to hockey. Those are the four that should be moved.

Forgive me if I sound like a snobbish jackass here, but the Ducks playing the Kings in the Finals when the teams are pretty much just 10 feet away from each other? Minnesota is in Canada? That is just seriously pathetic and downright embarassing to read and hear about.

Timmy from South Park is even smarter than the people who were asked these questions.

I know what was quoted by NHL.com doesn't include the opinions/thoughts of all Duck or King fans, Californians, or fair-weather sports fans in California or any other state, but still, that's just so sad how those questions were answered.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

"I'm cheering for the other guys to beat the Ducks because I am a Red Wings fan," he said to hoots of derision from his friends. "I predict Ottawa will win it in three."

Ah well, 1 out of 2 aint bad.

Forgive me if I sound like a snobbish jackass here, but the Ducks playing the Kings in the Finals when the teams are pretty much just 10 feet away from each other? Minnesota is in Canada? That is just seriously pathetic and downright embarassing to read and hear about.

Seriously, after reading that I'm embarassed as an American that a fellow citizen said that. Screw what team you're a fan of, one of those questions involves a serious dismemberment of basic elementary geography. That person should wiggle towards the little ray of light in front of them, and one day their head might find it's way out of their butt. Minnesota in Canada? God save us all.

Let's be fair though. If the same questions were asked to the same people in the same exact situations except for it was the Angels or Lakers, do you think their responses wouldve been much better?

Kings vs. Ducks in the finals, Minnesota in Canada, Royals in Canada and the NHL... that one is up there for the dumbest response. The elementry kids didn't say anything really and im not sure why it was added. and then the guy that said of course i watch hockey, i hate the flames they are they every year... i guess he watched hockey in 89 and 2004 and just assumed nothing changed in between... do you think its possible he confused the Detroit Red Wings with the Calgary Flames?

"I'm cheering for the other guys to beat the Ducks because I am a Red Wings fan," he said to hoots of derision from his friends. "I predict Ottawa will win it in three." :clap:

It all depends on how many people you interview and which results you decide to publish.... I bet I could walk around Michigan and ask people how far the wings got in this years playoffs and/or who they lost to in the playoffs and I BET i would get a few clueless people out there as well.

But none-the-less it was a funny read.

What's that game show called again, "street sense" or something like that... I see dumb people!

Edited by OsGOD

Guest jaytan

Ok, I laughed.

But this is truly tragic, and I'm not using hyperbole here.

The Ducks have all the pieces in place to win the Cup, and this... THIS... is the reaction?

Well, is it any worse than the last two seasons were? Tampa and Carolina? :angry:

I have to say I'm a bit shocked something like that came from NHL.com

it didn't, it came from the "canadian media" if you noticed at the top where credit is given,

look guys, the Canadian media is out looking for stories like this to fan the flames, that's all.

So, they went to the beach on game day (knowing fans would be going to the game by now) and interviewed a chick sun tanning and elementary school children.

The only thing that this demonstrates is how biased the Canadian Media is.

from a Red Wings fan : :clap:

the Canadian media spends their time just looking for an excuse to write something negative about hockey in the US, from this to TV ratings, to season tickets to whatever.... it the way it's been for a long time, I'm a little surprised some ppl here are so shocked at this.

Re: the stupid answers, well, there are alot of ppl everywhere who'll say really stupid things to simple questions.

If the Ducks pull it off, the victory parade will consist of the players, players families, coaches, and two fans donning "CONGRATS TO OUR KINGS' and 'BEAT THE ROYALS' signs. They'll probably forget to bring the cup. Pathetic.

Ottawa Royals? Hmm, well, it's actually almost close!

Heh, did anyone notice the Wings got a mention in there? Even people who don't watch hockey still know about them. Just goes to show that the Winged Wheel expands far beyond Detroit. :cool:

No not really,when I was in Florida last year two guy's were standing by my truck trying to figure out what the hell that was on the tailgate of my truck.It was a magnete og the winged wheel from 02 season.

One guy said it had something to do with detroit making cars and the other guy said see how dumb u are,it says 2002 champs it was their soccer team.I just walked away saying he was right.