• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

high_stick69

Kirk Maltby

Rate this topic

Give this a rest.

Hes here for 3 years , You get a Neil/Asham on a line with him and Drapes and Maltby automaticly becomes the best agitator in the league , he can run around , do whatever he wants , and Let Asham kick the guys ass that tryed to push Maltby.

And his elite PKing is reason enough to keep him.

I'll give you an example , You want Franzen to replace him ? I recall Franzen not being able to clear a puck on the most important PK of the year. We lost all games after that.

Maltby would've cleared that puck, You can be sure of that.

One of the most important things that you need when building a young team is some veteran leadership. It is especially helpful if that leadership has won the cup...The Wings have 4 players (not counting goalies) that have won multiple cups, all here. That leadership is huge.

Maltby & Draper are prime examples of what it takes to win in the playoffs. Both players play hard every shift, doing all of the little things that are needed to win. On top of that pair, you throw in the shining examples of Lidstrom & Holmstrom, and our young players are shown first hand how they need to compete in the playoffs. These guys are proven winners, you cannot have too much of that on your team.

For a cheap price, the Wings locked up a guy that will give you 110% every shift in the playoffs...a guy that will do whatever it takes to win, without question...a guy that will accept whatever role he is placed into...a guy that has won 3 stanley cups and will help push our young kids towards another...that is a bargain.

Guest Shoreline

As the OP said, his stats are way down compared to but a few years ago. Perhaps it is indicative of his lack of offensive production. Maybe lesser of an offensive role, or maybe the new style of NHL? Who knows.

Fact is Malts still plays a great role with the team that goes beyond the simple goals and +/-. He's a leading PKer, is much like Holmstrom in that he agitates the crap out of the opposition, and he still does generate scoring chances by his hard skating and mucking along the boards.

Still think the Wings need to get more of a power forward like Bert, but don't think ridding of Malts would produce greater results.

Guest Crymson

How long is Maltby signed for? Just wondering. He was -9 the last few seasons with 11 pts in each after playing 82 games. Could someone else fill his role more effectively and bring some scoring with them? We are going to have to move a few players to make room for some of our prospects ie Gregorienko etc. Why not get rid of Lang and Maltby and make room for some of these younger guys who can easily be -9 with 5 goals and 6 assists over 82 games? Thoughts?

No offense, but this as useless a topic as I've ever seen.

I imagine you didn't see that he recently got a new contract, which goes through '09-'10.

Threads like these would be more effective had Maltby not just recently signed a new 3 year contract. Get with the times people.

I'm really getting tired of all the Maltby hate that goes on around here too. He is still a great agitator, and takes the other team off his game. Some people have actually said Franzen should replace him. Now, nothing against Franzen, but he never says anything. He wouldn't fit the bill of an agitator quite like Maltby does. Besides, Maltby is still one of the most consistant defensive forwards on the team. So please, let's stop talking about his demise. I like him, and he's staying, so that's all that counts.

I'm indifferent on Maltby re-signing.

It definitely wouldn't have killed me if the Wings and Maltby parted ways, I wish we could see some more offensive punch from Maltby, but we all know that's not his main job. There should always be an appreciation for hard skating and hard work, whether you score 50 goals in a season or just 5.

Guest DetroitIan

Honestly, I hate to say this, I really do, but I've been thinking simalar thoughts about Malts. Yeah he in an awesome penalty killer, and there is no doubt about that. And he plays pretty physical and thats great. But thats it. Thats all he really bring to the table. Except being a liability on the ice. I've loved Malts for years. But I think his best days are definitely behind him. I think its time to move on as well. Then we could possibly fill his roster spot with another impact type player. But Im sure Kenny will keep him around for atleast another couple years.

I'm happy that the Wings gave Maltby an extension. He still has value on the PK and will hopefully hold a clinic on shorthanded goals during the offseason.

However, his time is growing short with the Wings. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes his career elsewhere in a trade deadline move. (Barring the dreaded NTC in his contract)

I'm happy that the Wings gave Maltby an extension. He still has value on the PK and will hopefully hold a clinic on shorthanded goals during the offseason.

However, his time is growing short with the Wings. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes his career elsewhere in a trade deadline move. (Barring the dreaded NTC in his contract)

The Wings will never trade Maltby. And I certainly hope it never happens. I love Maltby, and he should retire a Wing.

I imagine you didn't see that he recently got a new contract, which goes through '09-'10.

If you think its a useless topic, then why are you wasting time posting?

...Yeah he in an awesome penalty killer, and there is no doubt about that. And he plays pretty physical and thats great. But thats it. Thats all he really bring to the table. Except being a liability on the ice....

Please explain your reasoning that he is an awesome penalty killer, plays physical and then at the same time is a liability on the ice?

Do you argue with yourself all the time? Or just whenever you don't have a valid point?

Malts isn't supposed to score goals. His job is to agitate and play the PK. Try looking beyond the stat sheet for a bit.

Threads like these would be more effective had Maltby not just recently signed a new 3 year contract. Get with the times people.

I'm really getting tired of all the Maltby hate that goes on around here too. He is still a great agitator, and takes the other team off his game. Some people have actually said Franzen should replace him. Now, nothing against Franzen, but he never says anything. He wouldn't fit the bill of an agitator quite like Maltby does. Besides, Maltby is still one of the most consistant defensive forwards on the team. So please, let's stop talking about his demise. I like him, and he's staying, so that's all that counts.

:clap::clap::clap:

Nuf' said....

Guest ZDH

If you think its a useless topic, then why are you wasting time posting?

Probably because he likes to listen to himself talk. No one else listens to him.

Guest DetroitIan

Please explain your reasoning that he is an awesome penalty killer, plays physical and then at the same time is a liability on the ice?

Do you argue with yourself all the time? Or just whenever you don't have a valid point?

When I say he is a liability on the ice, I mean offensively. Any sort of offensive impact. He does virtually nothing in that aspect of the game. Where as you can have an impact player out there that are fairly sound defensively. Which Is what I would choose any day over a good penalty killer that is non-existant in the offensive zone, and just plain not good on the +/-. Simple as that.

I'll give you an example , You want Franzen to replace him ? I recall Franzen not being able to clear a puck on the most important PK of the year. We lost all games after that.

Maltby would've cleared that puck, You can be sure of that.

Great point - I never thought of that. s***! Why couldn't that puck drifted Maltby's way! :crazy: Ahhh, what ifs...

I was a bit surprised at the 3 year extension. But I've got no problem with keeping him around for that price. The Wings have made good decisions on their grinders. It was tough to let Mac go, but obviously they could see he wasn't going to be the same - and he's sure gone downhill fast in Calgary imo (plus he's loaded w personal problems). Love the guy, but the Wings made the right choice, and I think they made the right choice with Malts too.

I'm not all for Maltby's re-signing. At some point, Holland (and/or Ilitch) needs to start letting go of the glory days. At least they didn't overpay for him this time, but 3 years is at least 1, probably 2 too many. The younger players would benefit from a few extra minutes' icetime and they do have other guys who can kill penalties. I don't know, I guess I just don't see the point of keeping so many guys around year after year after year after year after year after year after year.

Guest ZDH

I'm not all for Maltby's re-signing. At some point, Holland (and/or Ilitch) needs to start letting go of the glory days. At least they didn't overpay for him this time, but 3 years is at least 1, probably 2 too many. The younger players would benefit from a few extra minutes' icetime and they do have other guys who can kill penalties. I don't know, I guess I just don't see the point of keeping so many guys around year after year after year after year after year after year after year.

Since Maltby joined the Red Wings shortly after the trade deadline in '96, only a few players who played on the team are still here playing with him now. Draper, Osgood and Lidstrom. Chelios is still here but he did not come until '99. So who are these guys we are keeping year after year after year? Yzerman is retired. Fedorov has not been a Wing since he scored vs the Ducks in Game 4 of the '03 Playoffs. Kozlov was traded. Shanahan is a Ranger. Larionov is retired. Fetisov retired. Brown retired. Murphy retired. Rouse was signed as an UFA by San Jose and is now retired. Vernon retired. See where I am going with this? Who are these year after year after year guys?

Edited by ZDH

You can't put a price tag on what guys like Malts bring to this team. At some point stats become meaningless, we all know he used up all his goals in juniors. If not for Malts aggressive forecheck Cleary wouldn't have nailed that shorty against the Flames. The guy gets others pissed off and off their game. We have blessed the last 10 plus years with having some pretty damn good players don the Winged Wheel, Malts being one of them. He is as friendly as they come off the ice and as professional as can be on it. You'd have to be crazy no to like a guy that is willing to go down and block 100 mph slappers several times in a row, case in point watch Red Alert 3. Malts loses his stick and blocks three shots in a row. What does he get for that? 20,066 chanting Maltby! Maltby! Maltby! Players are defined as to what they do on the ice, Sid the Kid is a pure scorer, Stevie was a natural born leader, Lids has the best stick in the game, Malts and Drapes are one of the best PK tandems in the NHL. Yeah other people may be able to do it with a s*** load of practice, but I'd rather have the guys that everyone knows already can.

Edited by WingsZR2

I would have preferred a 2 year deal with a club option for the 3rd but all in all its a pretty fair deal. We didn't break the bank and we have a gritty player that knows his role and won't ***** about not getting more ice time.

Plus so many of you forget that players get injured all season long. I'd rather have a Kirk Maltby to plug into the lineup than some AHL journeyman.

Guest Crymson

I would have preferred a 2 year deal with a club option for the 3rd but all in all its a pretty fair deal. We didn't break the bank and we have a gritty player that knows his role and won't ***** about not getting more ice time.

Plus so many of you forget that players get injured all season long. I'd rather have a Kirk Maltby to plug into the lineup than some AHL journeyman.

This team is built on loyalty between the players and the management. That is what makes our team special, and is in turn what makes our team powerful every year. The Red Wings organization becomes a home to its players, not just a stop-off.

This has its price on occasion: sometimes the organization perhaps keeps around, in the name of loyalty, players who could be replaced by more talented individuals. However, the benefits far outweigh such drawbacks.

When I say he is a liability on the ice, I mean offensively. Any sort of offensive impact. He does virtually nothing in that aspect of the game. Where as you can have an impact player out there that are fairly sound defensively. Which Is what I would choose any day over a good penalty killer that is non-existant in the offensive zone, and just plain not good on the +/-. Simple as that.

I honestly never heard of anyone being termed an offensive liability. That has to be the most ludicrous thing I have ever read. Defensive liability I can understand, but offensive?

Malts has a role to play, and he plays it very well. he chirps at the other team, gets under their skin, draws penalties and kills penalties. He does not have to scorer's role, so any offense that comes from him is just a bonus/

I honestly never heard of anyone being termed an offensive liability. That has to be the most ludicrous thing I have ever read. Defensive liability I can understand, but offensive?

Malts has a role to play, and he plays it very well. he chirps at the other team, gets under their skin, draws penalties and kills penalties. He does not have to scorer's role, so any offense that comes from him is just a bonus/

your right all i hear is we have to get grinders playoff players that is what malts is a playoff player someone who when things get nasty he plays better

in order to add the new players in with the older, what you do is rest malts for a game or too letting in the younger players, or like they have done reduce his role, giving more min. to younger players. Maltby deserves to retire a wing, whats next get rid of draper, some of you have no respect for what they have done.