• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IceMunkee

Is Ray Emery the Next Cam Ward?

Rate this topic

I can't decide how to feel about this young goaltender. I watch the games and love his style, but is he just on a hot streak that will sadly end next year? Will he be able to continue and become great? I would just like to hear your opinions on this...

To me his style resembles Dom's. Eratic and exciting and a hell of alot of flopping around. So my question is he the next BIG NAME or the next big disappointment???

Guest ZDH

I can't decide how to feel about this young goaltender. I watch the games and love his style, but is he just on a hot streak that will sadly end next year? Will he be able to continue and become great? I would just like to hear your opinions on this...

To me his style resembles Dom's. Eratic and exciting and a hell of alot of flopping around. So my question is he the next BIG NAME or the next big disappointment???

I'm not a Ray Emery fan as I do not believe he is that good. Throughout these playoffs he has not had to face many shots or quality scoring chances because of the strong team defence employed by the Sens' forwards and dmen.

However, Emery was the ONLY reason the score was 1-0 Ducks last night. It should have been 5-0 really. Emery is playing well but his team can't score any goals for him. Giggy likely fell asleep at times last night due to so much inaction.

I don't see Emery becoming a great goalie. A good one? Perhaps. But not great like Hasek or Roy or Brodeur or Luongo.

IMHO, Emery is good (better than the average starter), but I don't think he'll ever be elite. I just don't see him as the same caliber as a Kippur or a Brodeur type. It would be ignorant to say he doesn't have talent, but I've never seen him consistently rise up to the level guys like Kippur (or even Giggy) have.

Ray Emery is a quality goaltender. He's not going to be an Elite goaltender like the Brodeurs of the world, but that's not what the topic is asking. It's asking if he's going to be the next Cam Ward.

And the difference may be that Cam Ward won a Stanley Cup. Ray Emery has an all-uphill climb ahead of him if he's going to accomplish that this season.

Also, Cam Ward was a rookie. Ray Emery is not. Ray Emery was really good in the chances he was given last season (when he WAS a rookie).

Something Cam Ward and Ray Emery DO have in common: removing Martin Gerber from the slot ahead of them on the depth chart HA

Ray Emery is a quality goaltender. He's not going to be an Elite goaltender like the Brodeurs of the world, but that's not what the topic is asking. It's asking if he's going to be the next Cam Ward.

And the difference may be that Cam Ward won a Stanley Cup. Ray Emery has an all-uphill climb ahead of him if he's going to accomplish that this season.

Also, Cam Ward was a rookie. Ray Emery is not. Ray Emery was really good in the chances he was given last season (when he WAS a rookie).

Something Cam Ward and Ray Emery DO have in common: removing Martin Gerber from the slot ahead of them on the depth chart HA

Perhaps a little more direction from the threadstarter to clarify what comparisons he/she's asking between Emery and Ward.

I will clerify. Regardless of Stanley Cups. Ward was hot for the playoffs last year then stunk up the Arena this year. I am wondering if you guys spectulate that this could be the same ordeal with Emery. If you want to compare Emery and Ward thats fine but that was not the intent of the thread...

Basically does Emery have longevity???

Guest ZDH

I will clerify. Regardless of Stanley Cups. Ward was hot for the playoffs last year then stunk up the Arena this year. I am wondering if you guys spectulate that this could be the same ordeal with Emery. If you want to compare Emery and Ward thats fine but that was not the intent of the thread...

I'm not sure because this is only Emery's 2nd season basically. I mean he's played well for Ottawa. But the good ones do it year after year. We have to see if Emery can be as consistent. I think he CAN have longevity. I guess he just has to prove it.

I'm not sure because this is only Emery's 2nd season basically. I mean he's played well for Ottawa. But the good ones do it year after year. We have to see if Emery can be as consistent. I think he CAN have longevity. I guess he just has to prove it.

I agree. I love his style of play. Giggy is a great goaltender but he is absolutly boring to watch. I love the flop style and the edge of your seat, not gonna save it, but then he does style of goaltending. I am not sure that makes sense but it seems right in my head.

It's not really fair to say that Ward stunk it up this season while Emery was great.

Emery only had 3 more wins than Ward and 0.021 better SV%. The GAA maybe huge, but thats more of a team stat anyway. I'll give you that Ward wasn't as good as Emery, but his team wasn't near as good as Ottawa's this past season, and yet its not like Emery is blowing Ward out of the water with his stats.

IPB Image

He was even worse last year before they won the cup. Cammie is nothing more than a 1 hit wonder. He is Jim Carrey with a stanley cup ring. Well that and a 3 year deal worth a lot of millions.

Emery is good, but put him on a team where scoring is next to nill and he would sink. I.e. the goal scoring is what will win the cup for the Sens... The goaltending will help but with out their (1 line) playing they are toast.

Edited by OsGOD

Guest ZDH

I agree. I love his style of play. Giggy is a great goaltender but he is absolutly boring to watch. I love the flop style and the edge of your seat, not gonna save it, but then he does style of goaltending. I am not sure that makes sense but it seems right in my head.

Giggy is much like Belfour in his best days. Solid angles and solid positionally. He makes tough saves look easy.

Whereas a guy like Cujo made easy saves look tough because he was a classic reflex goalie. He plays the angles a bit more now later in his career.

Giggy is a big guy and stuffs his jersey with huge shoulder pads, he is cheating but with the goalie rules, he is technically not cheating.

Anyway...Giggy plays the angles very well and he is not very athletic. So he used his size to his advantage. He takes away the lower part of the net and makes you shoot high. Shooting high is great but most high shots either miss the net or are not on target.

Hasek takes away the bottom part of the net but his style is just undescribeable. The Flopping style maybe. Hey it works but I'd never teach it to any young goalie.

So while Giggy is not very exciting to watch, he does stop the puck and at the end of the day that is all you want your goalie to do.

Whatever happened to Carrey? Last I heard he was trying to get more $$$ from Washington, & they traded him - right? :unsure:

Towards the end of the '97 season Carey was moved to the Bruins. During the '98/'99 season he played only 4 games with the Blues, and that was the end of his NHL career. Later that year he played 2 games in the IHL.

Guest ZDH

Whatever happened to Carrey? Last I heard he was trying to get more $$$ from Washington, & they traded him - right? :unsure:

Now THAT guy is the poster boy for the term "flash in the pan." LOL I have no idea where he is now. Maybe he got Dumb and Dumber as he wore a MASK watching Ace Ventura. Who knows?

I'm not a Ray Emery fan as I do not believe he is that good. Throughout these playoffs he has not had to face many shots or quality scoring chances because of the strong team defence employed by the Sens' forwards and dmen.

However, Emery was the ONLY reason the score was 1-0 Ducks last night. It should have been 5-0 really. Emery is playing well but his team can't score any goals for him. Giggy likely fell asleep at times last night due to so much inaction.

I don't see Emery becoming a great goalie. A good one? Perhaps. But not great like Hasek or Roy or Brodeur or Luongo.

I'd agree that Emery is above average certainly and played a whale of a game last night,but hes still got some holes in his game. Its gonna take a stellar career to even warrant mention in the same sentence with the goalies mentioned above. Giguere just keeps plugging away. He looked great during the 5 on 3 and then didn't have to turn it up after that as the defense did a great job. Emery much like Hasek in the WCF deserved a better fate last night but his team let him down.

Guest DetroitIan

Well, he can't really be the next Cam Ward unless he wins the cup first. Cause obviously Ray isn't on a very good hot streak right now. So if he wins it, then next year his game goes downward, then he can be the next Cam. But until then there no comparison here.

Fair enough. Although I disagree. You can not win the cup but play like a champion, that is what I feel Emery is doing. They are home tomorrow and maybe that will spice up the offense a little bit. Hell all Ray has to do is go to shop.nhl.com and buy the replica Stanely, thats basically what Cam did! :P

I've never been very impressed with Emery, I don't think he is that great of a goaltender, I mean its obviously somthing to be a goaltender in the NHL and to make it to the SCFs (even if it is from the Eastern Conference) but I don't think he is anything special by any means. He was solid in game 2 but none of those saves he made really jumped out as being spectacular, in my book anyways.

Only time will tell how far Emery will go and the sucsess he will achieve.

A lot of great thoughts, first let me comment on Ray Emrey/Cam Ward. I think they are similar, they are both good goalies that benefited from being on the right team at the right time. I think they will both have solid careers, I don't however feel either one will add their names to the short list of NHL elite netminders.

As far as Icemunkees comments regarding Cam Ward stinking it up and Ray Emrey having a great season...what I took from that is they both had all right years this year, Cam ward had a hot post season last year then fizzled the following year. Ray Emrey has an allright season this year and has had a hot post season thus far, The question posed is will Rayzer fizzle the way Cam did. I think so.

As far as Dom's style and the comparisons to Rayzer, I suppose it would make since although I can't say as I've noticed, I guess I will have to pay closer attention. That being said, I love Dom's style for the very same reason's Munkee does. However I agree with ZDH that it can't and shouldn't be taught. Dom is a rare breed. A product of his uncanny speed, flexability, and determination. If there ever were to be another "Hasek" style player it would just have to happen. If I recall the first time most of the NHL saw Hasek play they thought he was terrible, out of position, flopping about, going down too quickly. One of the reasons it's worked so well for Hasek is over the years he has gotten into many shooters heads and they tend to rush the shots, he's counting on that.

I've never been very impressed with Emery, I don't think he is that great of a goaltender, I mean its obviously somthing to be a goaltender in the NHL and to make it to the SCFs (even if it is from the Eastern Conference) but I don't think he is anything special by any means. He was solid in game 2 but none of those saves he made really jumped out as being spectacular, in my book anyways.

Only time will tell how far Emery will go and the sucsess he will achieve.

Really?