• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
skacore

Anyone else concerned about the Griffins next year?

Rate this topic

I don't know the deal with all of their contracts and the organization's intentions but from what I've been reading it seems like we may lose the core of our team this year.

I think I heard Kip Miller will become an UFA this summer and has no intentions to remain a Griffin.

Matt Ellis will become a UFA and there is a good chance he will be offered an NHL contract from someone who needs a checking line role player, if he stays in the AHL next season it'll be with the Griffins I'm sure.

Matt Hussey is an UFA.

Josh Langfeld is an UFA.

* Darryl Bootland is an RFA and it sounds like won't be a Griffin next season.

Eric Himelfarb is already signed to play in... Switzerland? or Sweden? I dunno...

The way things are going the Wings may take either Quincey, Meech, or even Kindl from them as well.

You guys think they will still crack a playoff spot next year even if there are some big chances? I'm assuming Hasek will resign and we won't have to worry about a new goaltender quite yet.

* does anyone know why (according to nhlnumbers.com) Darryl Bootland is a RFA while Matt Ellis is a UFA? They are the same age and have similar contracts, does it have something to do with Ellis playing 16 reg season games in Detroit this year?

If the Griffins lose too many players, then they'll just sign a bunch of stop-gap, former NHL'ers who have been toiling in the minors or in Europe for the last few years. Guys like Blake Sloan, Mike Watt, and a few other former Griffins might be persuaded to come back if their situation in Europe doesn't pan out. If not them, then they'll surely find some Josh Langfeld or Matt Hussey type players to take the places of any who move on.

The Wings have also (no surprise) signed a bunch of new Swedish players just these past few weeks. They signed about 3 or 4, so that should take up a few spots down there.

The Griffins will be fine. They've always managed before. There are enough borderline NHL/AHL players that need a place to play, without wanting to leave their families to play in Europe, so they Griffins should have some options to consider.

It's probably a good thing most of the core will be gone..the team struggled most of the year. I think Mcnamara or the Wings tried a "rebuilding" year where he went more with youth and speed (Kolanos, Hussey, Brooks), and it kinda backfired. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him load up with veteran offensive talent (maybe the return of MacLean?), and a veteran D-man or 2. The checking lines should be pretty good..I assume Ellis will be retained somehow, and both Oulahen and Helm will be in the fold. The D looks relatively solid with Quincey, Kindl, Meech and Ericsson, so they really just need one or 2 steady veteran(s) like a Helmer or something like that.

I don't know the deal with all of their contracts and the organization's intentions but from what I've been reading it seems like we may lose the core of our team this year.

I think I heard Kip Miller will become an UFA this summer and has no intentions to remain a Griffin.

Matt Ellis will become a UFA and there is a good chance he will be offered an NHL contract from someone who needs a checking line role player, if he stays in the AHL next season it'll be with the Griffins I'm sure.

Matt Hussey is an UFA.

Josh Langfeld is an UFA.

* Darryl Bootland is an RFA and it sounds like won't be a Griffin next season.

Eric Himelfarb is already signed to play in... Switzerland? or Sweden? I dunno...

The way things are going the Wings may take either Quincey, Meech, or even Kindl from them as well.

You guys think they will still crack a playoff spot next year even if there are some big chances? I'm assuming Hasek will resign and we won't have to worry about a new goaltender quite yet.

* does anyone know why (according to nhlnumbers.com) Darryl Bootland is a RFA while Matt Ellis is a UFA? They are the same age and have similar contracts, does it have something to do with Ellis playing 16 reg season games in Detroit this year?

The only difference I can find between the two is that Bootland was drafted and Ellis was not. I didn't think that made a difference, though.

I think with the firing of Ireland and the Wings seemingly wanting a bigger input into the team, we'll be seeing more prospects in GR than

normal. May even be that they may want to send down guys who aren't

performing and bringing up guys instead of letting the senior guys just coast about. Doubt it but it sure would give them a kick up the ass.

....May even be that they may want to send down guys who aren't

performing and bringing up guys instead of letting the senior guys just coast about. Doubt it but it sure would give them a kick up the ass.

Is that even possible? I thought that is why Bert didn't play any games with the Griffs, just practiced with them.

You are getting a GREAT net minder in Berkhoel. He just singed with the Red Wings and will play for the Griffins in the up coming year. As a Dayton Bomber's fan, I hate to lose him. But at least he singed with the Wings. He is absolutely amazing. He struggled in the playoffs a bit. But the defense wasn't helping him at all. He was the main reason the Bombers made it to the Kelly Cup finals. I'll officially be a Griffins fan this year. And I look forward to seeing him wear the Winged Wheel!

Here's the article from the Dayton Daily News:

Bombers' goalie Berkhoel signs with NHL's Red Wings

By Debbie Juniewicz

Contributing Writer

Friday, July 13, 2007

It's been a whirlwind two weeks for Adam Berkhoel.

The ECHL Goaltender of the Year signed with the Detroit Red Wings last week, just days after tying the knot. The 26-year-old Minnesota native will trade his Bombers uniform for a Grand Rapids Griffins jersey as he will likely start the season with the Red Wings AHL affiliate.

"The last couple of weeks have pretty much been a blur," Berkhoel said. "But I just couldn't ask for anything more."

Berkhoel was the Bombers defensive backbone for much of the season as he tallied a .910 save percentage and broke the team shutout record with five.

Bombers coach and General Manager Don MacAdam was impressed with his star goaltender's work ethic all season.

"Adam Berkhoel shouldn't have been in this league this year, so I definitely didn't expect to see him back," MacAdam said.

Berkhoel, however, is quick to credit his Bombers teammates for his success.

"I got a lot of individual credit last season but those guys deserved it just as much as I did," he said. This isn't Berkhoel's first NHL stint. He was in the Buffalo Sabres system last season, but played only six games with Rochester, the Sabres AHL affiliate.

"When you spend the majority of your time in the ECHL it can sometimes seem like you're going nowhere," Berkhoel said. "But when you pay your dues, it does pay off."

When the Sabres decided not to qualify Berkhoel after his contract was up July 1, he became a free agent. The Red Wings quickly contacted his agent.

Berkhoel was thrilled. His wife, Leigh, is from the Detroit area, so the Red Wings are a perfect fit for Berkhoel and his bride.

"The year I had with the Bombers was just great and, now, to get this honor, well it's just an incredible opportunity," he said. "This is the No. 1 goal for all of us."