• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwingrulez19

If the Ducks win the Cup?

Rate this topic

Not necessarily, but that is entirely subjective from fan-to-fan, poster-to-poster. While I won't argue or deny that the Wings had more of the opportunities to put the series away, they didn't do quite enough to finish the job, especially being up 2-1 at one point. Anaheim did just enough while not playing their better hockey until game 6. They did just a little bit more with a little bit less. That's annoying, yes, when you feel that you have outplayed them more often than not in the series, but give them credit where it's due there.

The Ducks could just steamroll Ottawa these next two games at Ottawa and people, generally speaking, could be saying that they were the best team in the playoffs in just 20-21 games (5 in 1st round, 5 in 2nd round, 6 in CF, 4 or 5 in SCF).

Ottawa was the best team in the playoffs before the first two games of the Finals, and look what happened. That being said though, this series is not even close to being done. The Wings have both rallied and bungled up 2-0 leads in the past (Pistons are on life support now after leading 2-0, sorry to bring that up fans :blush: ), so who knows, even though we didn't see Ottawa's best in game 2, a lot could happen with a change of venue and from game-to-game, we could be saying that Ottawa is the best team in hockey after all if they rally, taking only 21 or 22 games to win the Cup (5 in 1st round, 5 in 2nd round, 5 in CF, 6 or 7 in SCF).

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Does that mean that we were the best team in the playoffs? I mean we outplayed them in the conference finals, I can´t really believe that the ducks beat us.

Your thoughts on this??

NO. Detroit lost to Anahiem, they were not the better team....period.

........this would be a big problem, as I loudly proclaimed in the mid 90s that "if the mighty ducks ever with the stanley cup, I'm never watching hockey again!" :(

(I'm screwed)

Not necessarily, but that is entirely subjective from fan-to-fan, poster-to-poster. While I won't argue or deny that the Wings had more of the opportunities to put the series away, they didn't do quite enough to finish the job, especially being up 2-1 at one point. Anaheim did just enough while not playing their better hockey until game 6. They did just a little bit more with a little bit less. That's annoying, yes, when you feel that you have outplayed them more often than not in the series, but give them credit where it's due there.

The Ducks could just steamroll Ottawa these next two games at Ottawa and people, generally speaking, could be saying that they were the best team in the playoffs in just 20-21 games (5 in 1st round, 5 in 2nd round, 6 in CF, 4 or 5 in SCF).

Ottawa was the best team in the playoffs before the first two games of the Finals, and look what happened. That being said though, this series is not even close to being done. The Wings have both rallied and bungled up 2-0 leads in the past (Pistons are on life support now after leading 2-0, sorry to bring that up fans :blush: ), so who knows, even though we didn't see Ottawa's best in game 2, a lot could happen with a change of venue and from game-to-game, we could be saying that Ottawa is the best team in hockey after all if they rally, taking only 21 or 22 games to win the Cup (5 in 1st round, 5 in 2nd round, 5 in CF, 6 or 7 in SCF).

Does that include clutching ,holding and grabbing oh and lets not forget the picks at the blue line canw we say they deserve the cup no can we say they got away with alot of interferance to get the cup hell yea :angry:

NO. Detroit lost to Anahiem, they were not the better team....period.

the Ducks got very lucky to get past Detroit if it wasnt for Gigi they would have been done :!:

Edited by DEVILSWATERBOY

........this would be a big problem, as I loudly proclaimed in the mid 90s that "if the mighty ducks ever with the stanley cup, I'm never watching hockey again!" :(

(I'm screwed)

Good thing for you the Ducks dropped the "Mighty" from their name this season!

You can now live with a clear conscience even if Anaheim wins.

This sort of case could be made for the NFL because there is a single elimination format there, but the better team always wins in a seven game series. Yeah it sucks for the WIngs, but that fact is undenyable. The dominance that we are saw in game 1-2 of the SCF by the Ducks we also saw in 1-2 of the WCF. Dom gave the Wings a chance to make it a series, and they did eventually. Will the Sens do it? I dont think so, but I hope so because I want game 7 OT since I couldn't give a crap who wins....

Conversely, since detroit couldn't capitalize on their billion PP that makes them not the best team. The better playing team came out of that series. Had we of actually not beaten ourselves... we would be the better team... we beat ourselves showing that we didn't have it all together.

Its pretty much... wings fans vs. ducks fans with the OP argument.... its just opposite side to explaining the same outcome.

1st post after reading for years.....

THe wings were unlucky against the ducks, and were far more effective than ottowa have been so far, showing more balls and being more aggressive in all areas....BUT the ducks have been very impressive this year and playoffs, so there is no shame in losing to them. Lets face it, this is by far the best playoff performance by the wings since 02, so babs has done his job....sadly jiggy did us again, but its a shame we didn't got hrough as Wings vs Sens would have been a great potntially high scoring series. Still - we showed we have the squad to compete, and who can argue that out of the pre-cap powers the wings have been by far the most successful in adjusting...continuing to re-load rather than re-build. If we can get a quality scoring winger to replace the departing lang, and keep most of the rest together we'll be good for next year too. It says somehting when the team does as well in realitiy as I do with them on Eastside hockey Manager or NHL 07! A couple of good UFA signings and we'll be in great shape.

PS...nice to see Alfredsson doing the same as usual ...looking great when the team is on top and then going quiet when things are going badly....surely one of the oddest choices for captain in the NHL......great player but not clutch enough..was at fault for the game winner in 2

The Wings are better than the Yucks, IMO. I firmly believe if the Wings had been 100% healthy, they would be in the Finals right now. We literally didn't have it all together, since we were missing key players (Schneider, primarily). Homer, Zata, and Bert were playing at about 50% of what they are capable of, when they aren't playing injured. Not an excuse -- just the truth, from my perspective.

Ducks got lucky, from that perspective. I don't believe they could have taken the series otherwise. I will forever hate Pronger for trying to kill Homer (like I didn't hate him already?). To me, that was the "Cloutier" moment, and turned the series against us. Homer might have come back, but he wasn't the real Homer again after that hit.

I hate that the Yucks will probably win the Cup. They might be gritty and all that stuff, but in my mind, questionable tactics should not result in the Cup being awarded to them. Wings always win it the right way - straight up and legitimately - so maybe I am spoiled. This is the New NHL, so maybe this is how it's supposed to be?

The series also illustrates better than anything how weak the East is. I absolutely believe the Wings (healthy) would have blown Ottawa out the same way the Yucks are now.

The Wings are better than the Yucks, IMO. I firmly believe if the Wings had been 100% healthy, they would be in the Finals right now. We literally didn't have it all together, since we were missing key players (Schneider, primarily). Homer, Zata, and Bert were playing at about 50% of what they are capable of, when they aren't playing injured. Not an excuse -- just the truth, from my perspective.

Ducks got lucky, from that perspective. I don't believe they could have taken the series otherwise. I will forever hate Pronger for trying to kill Homer (like I didn't hate him already?). To me, that was the "Cloutier" moment, and turned the series against us. Homer might have come back, but he wasn't the real Homer again after that hit.

I hate that the Yucks will probably win the Cup. They might be gritty and all that stuff, but in my mind, questionable tactics should not result in the Cup being awarded to them. Wings always win it the right way - straight up and legitimately - so maybe I am spoiled. This is the New NHL, so maybe this is how it's supposed to be?

The series also illustrates better than anything how weak the East is. I absolutely believe the Wings (healthy) would have blown Ottawa out the same way the Yucks are now.

:clap: I agree with everything you said there Loo. :thumbup:

A question in relation... Who will win Conn Smythe?

Giguere unanimously, or will it be Pronger? Maybe Getzlaf? Another guy who possibly comes to mind, Pahlsson. It's remarkable how effective that guy is.

Just because the Wings outplayed the Ducks doesn't mean that they were the best team in the playoffs. The best team in the playoffs (just like the best team in the regular season) doesn't always end up winning the cup.

The best team in the playoffs is the team that finds a way to win even when they're outplayed, and finds a way to get their name on the cup.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

it amazes me how so many people must point out that the wings "beat themselves" instead of actually admitting that they were outplayed. every team in this league has setbacks or times where they're not able to bring it, regardless... anaheim won the series and a lot of wings fans here need to stop making excuses.

i also wish we would have observed our wings faithful hoisting the cup this june but they fell short, in addition to meeting a streaking team that played with purpose and determination.

congratulations to anaheim for making it as far as they have. if ottawa doesn't start matching their intensity, it'll be a long summer for them, as it has already been for us.

i'm hoping ottawa can stage a return to form and draw this out to 7, at least make it interesting.

I was just as frustrated over the Wings failure as anyone else, but this Wings-are-the-better-team stuff needs to stop. If we were truly the better team we would've won. We lost because our powerplay couldn't get it done without Schneider and Anaheim's opportunistic goal scoring, which the Wings couldn't match. They deserve to be where they are. They were the better team in that series.

Although I think the wings are the better team, the Ducks are there now and I have to respect that. That being said, I'm still hoping Ottawa takes it in 7 with the 7th going into OT until the next preseason so we can have hockey all summer. :D

Edited by Spinner

I was just as frustrated over the Wings failure as anyone else, but this Wings-are-the-better-team stuff needs to stop. If we were truly the better team we would've won. We lost because our powerplay couldn't get it done without Schneider and Anaheim's opportunistic goal scoring, which the Wings couldn't match. They deserve to be where they are. They were the better team in that series.

:clap:

I am so tired of the poor sportsmanship around here over the past week & a half.

THE BETTER TEAM WON! Get over it already and move on people.

All of this crap about luck, injuries, the wings' travel, etc., is a bad joke. You don't hear the Wings using such excuses, you don't hear any NHL players using such excuses. They beat us, end of story.

The Ducks did what needed to be done for them to win. The Wings didn't do what was needed to be done for them to win. Everything else is just part of the storyline.

It really cracks me up how many people here have repeatedly bashed the fans of other teams, then they turn around and pull this crap when the Wings lose...After the past week and a half, most of you have no room to EVER complain about another teams' fans again, because you are proving that we are just as bad...

Good sportsmanship is something that fans should take pride in. I'd like to see a little more of that around here these days...

:thumbdown:

:clap:

I am so tired of the poor sportsmanship around here over the past week & a half.

THE BETTER TEAM WON! Get over it already and move on people.

All of this crap about luck, injuries, the wings' travel, etc., is a bad joke. You don't hear the Wings using such excuses, you don't hear any NHL players using such excuses. They beat us, end of story.

The Ducks did what needed to be done for them to win. The Wings didn't do what was needed to be done for them to win. Everything else is just part of the storyline.

It really cracks me up how many people here have repeatedly bashed the fans of other teams, then they turn around and pull this crap when the Wings lose...After the past week and a half, most of you have no room to EVER complain about another teams' fans again, because you are proving that we are just as bad...

Good sportsmanship is something that fans should take pride in. I'd like to see a little more of that around here these days...

:thumbdown:

Most people on here haven't been using these as "excuse's" they have just been saying that without the injuries and maybe with a little more luck things might have been different.

Most people on here haven't been using these as "excuse's" they have just been saying that without the injuries and maybe with a little more luck things might have been different.

Which is an excuse.

You don't win the Stanley Cup without luck and you don't win the Cup without over-coming injuries...look at any other team that has ever won the cup and you will find their share of luck and injuries....look at any other team that failed to win and you will find their share of bad bounces and injuries that contributed to their fall. To win the cup you have to over-come these things, which the Wings failed to do...

Which is an excuse.

You don't win the Stanley Cup without luck and you don't win the Cup without over-coming injuries...look at any other team that has ever won the cup and you will find their share of luck and injuries....look at any other team that failed to win and you will find their share of bad bounces and injuries that contributed to their fall. To win the cup you have to over-come these things, which the Wings failed to do...

Saying that they 'might have made things different' is not an excuse. saying that they 'would have been different' then it would have been an excuse. Sure there has been some guy's on here who have been using excuse's but not everybody.

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

(I'm screwed)

I've always said "If Chris Pronger ever wins a Cup..." I literally have that gagging feeling in my throat just thinking about it. I've always felt that way, but this year has just solidified it. PS, I won't really stop watching hockey (obviously) but I will be very very very upset. And probably depressed for the better part of the summer. I'm just going to have to count on the Tigers to help me get through it...

Which is an excuse.

Agreed with both posts. The crap going on here the last little while is getting embarassing.

I look at it this way.... We scored on any of the million PP's we were awarded, we win the games and the series... Excuse or not, that is the honest to god truth. I feel that is an example of beating ourselves... we couldn't get our PP going, not because of huge saves by Jiggy or awesome PKing by the opposition... we just didn't have it... Our PP looked horrific for most of the season.. and by us not improving on that issue, be lost in the PO's

Edited by OsGOD