• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
alienanxiety

It's All Fixed

Rate this topic

I'm not sure how, but I am convinced the NHL fixes or slants the playoffs. Either that or it is an incredible fluke that the last three seasons have seen bad market "Bettman teams" win the Stanley Cup over a Canadian team. It just seems to "perfect" for me. So I guess next year we will see the Atlanta Thrashers defeat the Vancouver Canucks in the finals? Or maybe San Jose will finally make the next step and defeat the Montreal Canadians for the coveted prize.

I don't think I'd go as far as to say that the whole thing is fixed (although I know we all had a few choice words to say about the officiating). The whole point of the salary cap was to make it so teams like Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, ect. would stop completely dominating the league and give teams like Nashville, Florida, Atlanta, Phoenix, ect. a chance to compete for the Cup.

What Bettman doesn't seem to realize is that most people in those cities couldn't care less about hockey. Look at the ratings for the last 3 Cup Finals. It's because teams like Tampa, Carolina, and Anaheim are in the Finals, and nobody cares. He'd have a bigger audience if it was Detroit or another team like that.

Or who knows, maybe it was a big screw-you to the real fans of the league.

Edited by Hockeytown0001

I don't think I'd go as far as to say that the whole thing is fixed (although I know we all had a few choice words to say about the officiating). The whole point of the salary cap was to make it so teams like Detroit, Colorado, New Jersey, ect. would stop completely dominating the league and give teams like Nashville, Florida, Atlanta, Phoenix, ect. a chance to compete for the Cup.

What Bettman doesn't seem to realize is that most people in those cities couldn't care less about hockey. Look at the ratings for the last 3 Cup Finals. It's because teams like Tampa, Carolina, and Anaheim are in the Finals, and nobody cares. He'd have a bigger audience if it was Detroit or another team like that.

yes even you a big canadian team like toranto or montreal you would get a better fan bace watching the games.Or even with more scoreing you could get a bigger audinence.

In all seriousness I wonder what the ratings would be if there were a Cup Finals between our beloved Red Wings, & the Maple Leafs...Would any non-hockey fan, or someone who's a fan of hockey, but of neither team take notice of the Original 6 showdown? :unsure:

Man would that be awesome!

I hear that Anaheim corks their sticks and use pine tar on their friction tape!!!!

They just better recover all the sticks they break...and quickly after it happens.

The PO's being fixed might explain the lack of the Wings PP to notch much needed and timely goals in the final round... I'll buy into that logic :lol:

I doubt it's fixed, or Detroit would be in.

2007 Game one Rating 0.72 523,000

2002 Game One Rating 2.85 2,467,173

2007 Game one in LA area 1.7 95,000

2002 Game one in Det area 42.8 unknown amount

Did I see an article calling LA hockeytown??????

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs2002/s/2002/0606/1391788.html

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0458/1128/rss16

I'm not sure how, but I am convinced the NHL fixes or slants the playoffs. Either that or it is an incredible fluke that the last three seasons have seen bad market "Bettman teams" win the Stanley Cup over a Canadian team. It just seems to "perfect" for me. So I guess next year we will see the Atlanta Thrashers defeat the Vancouver Canucks in the finals? Or maybe San Jose will finally make the next step and defeat the Montreal Canadians for the coveted prize.

wrong league ever watch the nba

yes it's definitely fixed :rolleyes:

Haha I know right. I don't even see how hockey being fixed is possible. Can you imagine a coach to his players. "Hey..if any of you guys get like an odd man rush..or a breakaway...just try and shoot wide, or go in with a weak shot. They are paying us to lose..and well money is more important than winning!."

Edited by HockeyCrazy3033

do you really think that little rat bastard bettman is smart enough to do that

I love stuff like this. The general public really tries to find any excuses they can.

If it were fixed, do you honestly think that the NHL would have chosen a matchup like Anaheim vs. Ottawa? A matchup with no history in it all? Come on now.

If the NHL wanted ratings, which I'm sure it does, and decided to fix the the playoffs, then pretty much all finals possibilites would feature Original 6 teams. We'd see more stuff like Detroit vs. Toronto, Detroit vs. New York, Chicago vs. Toronto, Chicago vs. Boston, Detroit vs. Montreal, Chicago vs. Montreal, Detroit vs. Boston, Chicago vs. New York, or any other possibilites that I might have forgotten. Anaheim vs. Ottawa was probably one of the last things they would have wanted. That, or Nashville vs. Tampa Bay.

Nahh if it was the way Buttman wanted it New York would be in the finals and the Vs guys would be on their knees in front of Messier!!

Anyone catch the spotlight on the cup or whatever they called it. on Vs the other night?

Brief glimpses of games and about 10 minutes of snuggling to the Rangers when they won the cup. NOT a mention of 2002 when a certain captain skated on one leg when they were talking about what players go through for the cup......

I didn't mean it was pre-determined like wrestling. I don't for a second think every team is trying it's hardest to win. I am just saying that I suspect the league has tried to give these small market teams every extra chance possible to win championships (whether it be the salary cap, revnue sharing and "timely officiating".)

so far against ottawa, and against us too, anaheim doing worse obstruction than datyuk did at the end of game 5, but for some "timely" reason, the powers that be felt anaheim needed a 6 on 4 to finish the game. If that penalty wasn't called, we go up 3-1 in th series, and are almost certainly in the finals right now, playing an exciting skilled brand of hockey with the senators.

I didn't mean it was pre-determined like wrestling. I don't for a second think every team is trying it's hardest to win. I am just saying that I suspect the league has tried to give these small market teams every extra chance possible to win championships (whether it be the salary cap, revnue sharing and "timely officiating".)

so far against ottawa, and against us too, anaheim doing worse obstruction than datyuk did at the end of game 5, but for some "timely" reason, the powers that be felt anaheim needed a 6 on 4 to finish the game. If that penalty wasn't called, we go up 3-1 in th series, and are almost certainly in the finals right now, playing an exciting skilled brand of hockey with the senators.

soooo.... the salary cap and revenue sharing are a bad thing because it gives every team a chance? It's still up to the individual teams to be competitive.

ratings are down 22% this year compared to last year

Why not? Bettman sure does.

:lol:

...I am not sure you are too far off base. Especially with the Bettman teams comment. Just look at the last 2 Cup winners and even this years finals. What better way to try and promote the sport where their wouldn't normally be support than to make them the Champion of the league. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't! Tampa has fairly good support, but look at Carolina and even Florida after they made it to the finals, their fan support sucks unless they are actually in the finals. Look at Anaheim, even if they are handed the Cup, do you think the great people of Southern California will really give two sheets about what they do from now on, unless they are handed back to back ones? Look how support for the Kings waned after they made it to the Cup finals when Gretzky was there to now. Heck, you really didn't see has many Av fans around here this season, especially AFTER they were excluded from the playoffs...

...Bettman will never learn, of curse as long as his pockets are growing, he doesn't care, just ask William Clay Ford about that!

...not only is Bettman watering down the league by spreading the players to thin around the continent, he is also watering down what it means to actually EARN the Cup, by handing it year after year to teams that wouldn't and shouldn't be in the league, let alone competing for the Cup...

Edited by LeftWinger

Not to sound all conspiracy-theorist...but...sometimes I think it is fixed.

Not like...fixed, fixed, but pressure is put on the refs to make sure certain teams do better. They want differerent teams in the finals so the fans in those markets will get more into hockey.

But, I may be wrong....it just REALLY seems like it some times.