• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Offsides

Random Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

They go to squirrel heaven? Right? :unsure:

I had to face a hard truth a couple of years back when I was wondering where all the darling little yellow baby duckies were disappearing to, over at our neighborhood pond. I would go jogging around the trail by the pond and count all of them in the Spring -- there would be 20, then 30, and then 50 of them, all paddling and peeping and following their mamas... SOOOOO cute!!!

Then, there would be fewer and fewer each day... and I would mourn them. Little innocent babies. But Mother Nature is a strict mistress. I was told the turtles and snakes and other critters living around the pond ate most of them all up.

:unsure:

:butbut:

:crybaby:

I had to quit going to the pond for a while, I couldn't stand it. Some survived, but most didn't -- which is how it's supposed to be, I guess.

Guess I'll keep the trend going. * and I guess I didn't since this showed up on a new page. <_<

So are we all preparing for this monster storm headed our way?

I am actually not happy about this, I haven't worked a full week in the month of January except for the 1st one. I don't like taking all this time off of work, first an appointment, then sick kids and now possibly a snow day(s). Damn you Michigan winters!!!

Edited by WizardOfOz30

I wonder if all the erstwhile fans who gleefully ran Hasek out of town on a rail ever wish he was still here. <_< I know I do. He's still better today than what we have in net now.

I miss the older players with character and personalities. The Wings are great guys, but sort of business-like and bland on the ice. They get it done, and that's great to watch. But, I miss being brought out of my seat by an amazing play once in a while and screaming "Oh, my God, did you SEE that!!???"

Does anyone know a good place to give away old computer software or is it pointless and I should just get rid of it? I've got some old kid's games that my kids are too old for, I think they'll work on older operating systems. I'm thinking Office 95 is obsolete so that one will most likely end up in the garbage. I just hate getting rid of things if there is someone that I can give it to.

Does anyone know a good place to give away old computer software or is it pointless and I should just get rid of it? I've got some old kid's games that my kids are too old for, I think they'll work on older operating systems. I'm thinking Office 95 is obsolete so that one will most likely end up in the garbage. I just hate getting rid of things if there is someone that I can give it to.

You could try some schools or day cares. We have computers (for the kids) at my work, that are really old and I brought in a bunch of my old games for the kids to use. I created a new wave of fans for the game Tetris this way :cool:

In general, I can't stand it when pop stars try to sing the anthem. If you can't follow the melody without going all over the place, stick to pop songs that don't really have a melody.

Flubbing the words I'll give a pass on and chalk it up to nerves. I have more of a problem with the planned annoyances.

My parents are friends with a couple who had kids attending a very small Lutheran high school. Dad was in that part of the country one time and took the opportunity to visit them. The school had a group of 16 kids who were in a choral group that sang for everything from chapel to the anthem at ball games.

Since it was a very small school, most of the kids were in both basketball and the chorus. They sang before the game and then went to play. Dad overheard a mother from the opposing team say, "Man, it's a good thing they don't play as well as they sing or we'd be in trouble."

I'd rather hear the melody as it is supposed to go. I don't care if it's a capella or with harmony or instrumental backup.

It's not a pop song. Don't sing it like one. Just because you sing a certain genre doesn't mean you make songs from other genres sound like yours. Drives me nuts.

Edited by 55fan

Oh thank you! I swear, every time we're at a Preds game, the National Anthem turns into an American Idol audition. It cracks me up when they announce "local recording artist so-and-so." EVERYONE in Nashville is a local recording artist.

However, it was SO cool seeing Alice Cooper during intermission, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Christina screwed up the national anthem. Not a surprise, really, she's been doing that for years (you'd think she would know the words by now). Am I the only one who thought the half time show was a total embarrassment and laughably BAD??? So bad. Cringeworthy.

What a waste, but next year they will be more careful what they book, I guess. I like the Peas, but they were just ... silly looking. And adding Slash with a bedazzled top hat? Not helping the cause.

Ads were good, though. The Pepsi spots were hilarious, and the "back from the dead" Dorito ad made me LOL.

My only negative thing about the halftime show was that it wasn't twice as long. Holmes on Homes was on at the same time, so I pulled up a stream of the game and muted the half time show and just kept an eye on it so I could get back to watching the game.

Alice Cooper was on? Dang! I missed that part!

Edit to add: Was I the only one who got all teary-eyed when the beaver saved the guy's life?

(Talking about the tires ad; not the one with Ozzy asking "what's a beaver?" <--Joke. I know who Justen Beiber is.)

Edited by 55fan

Alice Cooper played at the Preds/Wings game Saturday night you didn't miss him Karen. :) I saw a small bit of the half time show, didn't impress me not even the lighting effects. I preferred the pre-game entertainment of Keith Urban much better.

I just saw the national anthem this morning and I also hate when they mess with the melody. Apparently it's just too boring and people feel the need to spice it up....please don't.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Cut that line up in different pieces then you got an annoying set of problems figuring out which line has the shortest distances and such.

Yeah, that made a lot of sense there.

I am not sure on a given day that the internet has done our society any favors. It boggles my mind how crude, crass and insensitive people are when they comment on articles in the news. Of course, no one can see them and they're hiding behind a dumb screen name - so that makes them brave... and reprehensible, usually.

The lack of civility in the country blows my mind, most days, from the cable "news" commentators to the tone of TV shows. There is no niceness anymore. :( This makes me sorrowful.

Edited by puckloo39

^^^ I fully agree. ^^^

Somewhere along the line "freedom of speech" went from being a guarantee that all ideas could be voiced without fear of government censorship of the ideas themselves to "I can say whatever I want and if you try to correct me on my manners, facts, or language, I'll scream and you'll be the bad guy. Yeah. I have freedom to say what I want and you don't have the freedom to have an opinion of my opinion."

The fact that the internet has no breathalyzer or intellect check only compounds the issue.

Manners and civility. When are people going to find the lost art of civil disagreement? It can be profitable.

We need more Jedi. They knew how to be polite as can be, and the Republic stood for over a millennium without going to war thanks to their diplomatic skills.