• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Offsides

Random Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

I asked my aunt for the address she lived at when my dad was born. She was 16 when he was born and they moved when he was 7, and she's the only one left out of the family.

She told me the address and I looked it up on mapquest. I'm not familiar with Detroit, so in order to give me some sort of idea where it was, I asked mapquest for directions to the JLA.

It's not far at all, from what I could tell, but one thing confused me. They made mention of a "Timed turn restriction" from 7 am to 7 pm every day when you turn from Joy Road to Grand River Av.

What is a timed turn restriction?

I'm not familiar with that particular intersection, but it probably means something like you can turn right on red from 7 pm to 7 am but not between 7 am and 7 pm. I know I've seen signs like that elsewhere in Detroit.

Oh, they have one in Findlay (Ohio) that says you can't make left turns during a certain time. My cousin got pulled over once when he was going home from work after working a different shift. No one else in the family had even seen the sign before, but they're never there during rush hour.

I was thinking that it meant that you only had so much time to make your turn or else you had to go straight, and I was wondering why on earth they didn't have turn lanes or how you'd find yourself to the right street.

Thanks for the explanation. Odd, but the street Dad used to live on is only one block long! It connects two big streets and kind of goes at a weird angle, but it's in keeping with the other streets around it.

It's like they had a whole bunch of streets going one direction, and another bunch going a different direction, and then decided to connect them with little streets.

That is exactly what it is Jenny. I'm impressed that mapquest puts that in the directions. I always struggle when they put those No Turn on Red signs farther back than where you are sitting looking to try to turn.

That confused me one time when I was in Detroit, I was trying to get back to the hotel and then I saw the one way sign so I thought I was able to turn right on that street so that's what I did and I was going in the wrong direction. You can imagine my surprise when I see all the cars heading my way. The sign was actually for the next road.

Edited by malts85

I can go on Twitter and have conversations with someone pretending to be Ilya Bryzgalov's dog, someone pretending to be Petr Klima's helmet, and someone pretending to be Mike Babcock's hair.

Do you ever wonder sometimes if the internet has just Gone Too Far?

I've still managed to never visit or use Twitter, i'm an internet failure. Social networking in general isn't really interesting to me, yeah I have a facebook account that I check twice a year, but thats just because of peer pressure. All I see is a hub for people to find you that you never really liked and people you went to school with 10 years ago that you didn't know or talk to then and wonder why they want to be friends now.

You know what's scarier than talking to people from Toledo online? Talking to people from Toledo in real life! tongue.gif

Blaze, I mainly use FB to talk to family members, a few high school and college friends, and to have an unmoderated place to talk with friends I've made on various message boards. Twitter I use mainly as a hockey news feed. (Although it's also becoming a hockey comedy feed, with all the parody player accounts out there.) I guess my social media experience is kind of atypical.

Something odd about the commercials during tonight's game. Instead of running this season's "It's not just Hockeytown, it's home" ad, FSD has been airing last season's "we take every game seriously" ad with the Hungry Hungry Hippos match. It's kind of got me wondering if someone in this season's ad has a trade imminent.

I heard "The House of Blue Lights" by Chuck Miller on the radio recently. Part of the lyrics are:

There's fryers and broilers and Detroit barbecue ribs

Any insight into what "Detroit barbecue ribs" are?

The House of Blue lights was a rockin rib joint. Commander Cody did a pretty cool version of that song, too.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cvU-NPz0QYM

edit: why can't i seem to get the vid to embed/show?

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS