• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Offsides

Random Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

^^^ People of Wal*Mart.com?

I was in the grocery yesterday (with bra on, thank you...) and ran into an old acquaintance. She is retired (long ago) and still crazy, in sort of a fun way. She looked in my cart full of fresh produce and lean cuts of chicken and fish. Hers was full of donuts, candy, chips and a head of lettuce, which I can only assume she planned to use as a table decoration.

"Is that it? You can do better than that!!" she bellowed.

yeah, still a person of opinions, this lady. Long may she wave. :D

I've got something to add about the song "The House of Blue Lights , but nothing about "Detroit barbecue ribs". I'll post it at "What are you listening to 2". Not much movement over there lately; maybe people have given up on music.

The big news today: I saw my first housefly of 2012, outdoors of course. What a strange winter. it's been.

We've seen mosquitoes and moths already, so don't feel alone.

Okay, so I'm watching The War Room with Jennifer Granholm on Current TV (yes, I am a liberal and damned proud of it!), and she's interviewing California governor Brown. All of a sudden I look on her desk, and I hit the pause on my DVR. Guess what she had sitting on her desk for all the world to see? A RED WINGS COFFEE MUG! Bless her heart, she may be out in San Francisco, but she still roots for the Red Wings. Good on ya, Jen! :clap:

From the "I did not know that, now I know that " Department: Last fall, I received the most recent "contract" from my cable company, which is also my Internet Service Provider (ISP), regarding the "do's and dont's" . If a subscriber is booted off any forum they sign up for, their internet services can re revoked.

Ok. I'm necromancing.

I had to dig up this thread because I had a weird thought with no place to put it.

This isn't serious. It won't happen. It's just something that would be funny to think about and maybe would make a funny movie plot, but that's it.

What would happen if all of the guys who were getting bought out got mad enough to give a collective "FU" to the system. You know, the "stick it to the man" kind of thing.

What if they all (at least the good ones) got together and decided that since they were getting paid anyway that they would all sign for one dismal team not owned by the league. Let's use the Panthers as our example.

Then suppose they let the Florida GM in on it. The GM picks up all of the buy-outs for 2-4 years, trades his lower-level players for draft picks, picks up some has-beens that still have a year or two left in them as free agents, and builds a team that looks like the all-star game from a decade or two ago.

Briere, Vinny and other buyouts. Jagr and other free agents. They put together a team of former super-stars, make for a fiscally good team as far as drawing older fans (hey! We're in Florida!) and then when they have had a few years and these guys retire, the farm system is stacked to the brim from all of those high draft picks.

If it was a movie, the Old Guys would go on to win the Cup, of course, but in RL, it would make for a fun team to watch.

Just running through my brain. Thought I'd share.

Edited by 55fan

I figured it out, but it's too late.

We could have solved our roster problems had we acted on this before the amnesty buyout window closed.

STEP 1.

Have the Samuelsson and Zetterberg families move in together.

STEP 2.

Buy out Zetterberg.

STEP 3.

Sammy plays on the top line and has the best year of his career; Zetterberg babysits the Samuelsson children.

STEP 4.

Next summer.

Sign Zetterberg to a new contract; Samuelsson (coming off a career year) signs a hefty contract elsewhere.

STEP 5.

Zetterberg and Samuelsson remove the Mission: Impossible masks they've been wearing for the last year.

It would have worked, I tell you. It would have worked. Curse the small buy-out window!

I haven't flown in years. I recall the last time I flew, I got a bag that had a few peanuts and a dixie cup of soda. It wasn't worth the time for the gal to walk the cart down the aisle.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

if pamela anderson breast feeds her baby, does that mean the milk comes in plastic bags?

There's this family that I work with. There's two brothers and a sister, plus I used to work with one brother's wife. The other brother just married a girl that I work with, who happens to be a great friend.

My ex bf, who is now a great friend, came in and I asked if they'd met, and the girl and he said they had. I told him that she had just married and mentioned her new last name. It turns out that the ex and the family are second cousins.

So my friend and I are now ex-second cousins-in-law-in-law. Cool.

Why do people like such gore-filled movies? Is there anyone out there not completely desensitized to witnessing people get murdered, beaten, tortured, or sexually assaulted? How do people enjoy watching it?

Then they look at you like you're the crazy one if you tell them you'd rather not watch anything like that.

Why do people like such gore-filled movies? Is there anyone out there not completely desensitized to witnessing people get murdered, beaten, tortured, or sexually assaulted? How do people enjoy watching it?

Then they look at you like you're the crazy one if you tell them you'd rather not watch anything like that.

I am SO totally with you on that!

Back in the day, if the plot called for a killing or beating, it was either done off-camera or was obviously fake. The obviously fake stuff was terribly done, but realism wasn't the goal back then.

Sometimes the imagination is a better tool for horror than imagery.

I hate fake blood. It makes me queasy far beyond real blood does. I hate zombies. Even more, I hate people dressed up as zombies.

I understand wanting a plot with conflict, and violence makes for huge conflict. Gratuitous violence doesn't enhance the plot and just makes it gross to watch.

I am SO totally with you on that!

Back in the day, if the plot called for a killing or beating, it was either done off-camera or was obviously fake. The obviously fake stuff was terribly done, but realism wasn't the goal back then.

Sometimes the imagination is a better tool for horror than imagery.

I hate fake blood. It makes me queasy far beyond real blood does. I hate zombies. Even more, I hate people dressed up as zombies.

I understand wanting a plot with conflict, and violence makes for huge conflict. Gratuitous violence doesn't enhance the plot and just makes it gross to watch.

Agreed. Its just frustrating because so many people seem to be desensitized to extreme forms of violence. Maybe I'm just weird, but I find it to be problematic.