• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Motown

Sources: NHL to schedule outdoor game for 2007-08

Rate this topic

dont know if its been posted here yet but the Forums have been dead lately after the season ended for the Wings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2890523

"According to league sources, the NHL is planning another outdoor game for the 2007-08 regular season. The date, site and clubs involved were not disclosed.

The sources did indicate the game will likely include at least one American-based team and it will be televised in the U.S. by NBC as part of its regular-season schedule.

The clubs and venue will be determined by stadium availability and logistics, as well as market size (for television purposes).

NHL spokesman Frank Brown had no comment.

In 2003, the league took the game outdoors for the highly successful "Heritage Classic" in Edmonton. A crowd of nearly 60,000 braved sub-zero temperatures at Commonwealth Stadium to see the Oilers skate against the Canadiens.

That game was preceded by a legends tilt, featuring stars such as Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier and Guy Lafleur. Messier, who at the time was an active member of the New York Rangers, received permission to participate in the special event."

Edited by Motown

boo desperate marketing... hooray outdoor hockey.

Put it in the Big House!!! can you say 110,000+ fans.

This plus "expanding" to the European market should make for an interesting season.

They could put the rink half in USA, half in Canada.

LOL That'd be funny!

Why the hell not, it's just 1 game. It's not going to significantly do much to help or hurt the NHL IMO.

Just a marketing gimmick that probably won't do much, but it's not like it's going to kill anybody, so might as well give it a whirl.

I remember the legends game, but I don't recall if it was any good or worthwhile.

To say the least though I'd almost feel like making a pilgrimmage to see this game, Just because outdoor hockey is cool.

Here is some more info on the outdoor game. Looks like Detroit is in the mix. They could have the game at Comerica Park since Ilitch owns it. That would be badass. :thumbup:

LINK

The National Hockey League plans to play host to another outdoor game on New Year's Day 2008. The host team has yet to be determined, but this time the game is not expected to be held in Canada. Detroit, Buffalo and Pittsburgh are three of the interested teams. The 2007-08 NHL schedule is not expected to be finalized until mid-July.

Here is some more info on the outdoor game. Looks like Detroit is in the mix. They could have the game at Comerica Park since Ilitch owns it. That would be badass. :thumbup:

LINK

If the nhl actually has legends from the penguins or buffalo play over Det. or NYR (hell, i'd even like to see NYI over those two) then as a leauge we have no idea what we're doing.

Guest DetroitIan

That's awesome news. I remember the Oiler game they had outside. And the Michigan Vs. Michigan State game that was outdoors. Just a joy to watch when ya get the chance. Especially at night. Its just cool as hell to see something so old school.

Living in WI, I'd obviously want it to be Lambeau Field, but since we have no real home team that would mean it would have to be Chicago or MN to be the home team. That would make it obvious that it won't be there, right? There's an exception though. UW did play Ohio there outdoors so it's already been proven that it can be done here. (if I recall, about 40,000 showed up)

I watched the Heritage Classic, the UW vs OH games, and saw pictures from the MI vs MI State games and it's a very cool concept and great to watch. The only weird thing is seeing how far the crowd is from the action. But then you have the football stadium's huge jumbotron and if we ever got an NHL game here I would SO be there. That said, wherever the game is played I'll still watch for sure. I'd love it to be here but I doubt it. Oh well, one can dream....

Guest DetroitIan

if we're lucky enough for it to be at comerica... i'm there!

Oh you know it! Nothing could keep me from that stadium. That would be amazing.

a game of this maggnatude would be great for hockey to do every year or 2. and is sweet to have it detroit in the mix, its getting me excited about this all and for it to be at comerica park....WHOO WHOO come on gary set the date, and opponet, IM THERE!

Edited by Motown

a game of this maggnatude would be great for hockey to do every year or 2. and is sweet to have it detroit in the mix, its getting me excited about this all and for it to be at comerica park....WHOO WHOO come on gary set the date, and opponet, IM THERE!

Oh i could dream :D