• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingedWheels

Nashville's days appear numbered

Rate this topic

If Winnipeg and Quebec can't support a NHL team, what makes you think that Hamilton would??

Winnipeg could support a team, but the owner wanted to move the team regardless of the overwhelming suport the team had.

As for Quebec, from what I understand, fans were very "eh, ok" whether they won or lost.

well, there was a huge announcement yesterday. There is a new group in town called "Our Team Nashville". It's a coalition of heavy hitter on the Nashville business scene who want to keep the Preds. despite the fact that we only need another 200 fans at every game to reach 14,000. Their goal for the coming season is actually to sell another 3,000 season tickets.

Already in their first week of business they've got over 500 entities that want to purchase season tickets. if they all buy just 2 tickets, there's the first 1,000 already. not too bad. If their plan works, and we get 3,000, then look for at/near capacity every night.

Legion,

Here is what I see, and I hate to see say this, but if Mr. "Blackberry" wants to move the team, I see him raising ticket prices, so those great $10 tickets would become $25. I would like to see the team stay because there are alot of hockey fans down here and if the team moves so will the interest. There are a ton of folks who want the team out of Tennessee and most of them live in Tennessee, and I for one don't know why. I have been told its a Yankee sport and it does not belong here. Here is how I combat that, you probably know how the Nashville Speedway wants a Cup race, and the city would like a MLB team, well if the other Organizations see how the city and people piss away this opportunity then they may think twice about Nashville. The only reason the Titans are still here is because of sucess at the beginning, if they begin to have a couple more losing seasons, you'll see these same people turn their backs on them. I really hope the Preds stay here, not just so I can see the Wings, so we can all enjoy the best sport in the world close to home. :thumbup:

Winnipeg could support a team, but the owner wanted to move the team regardless of the overwhelming suport the team had.

As for Quebec, from what I understand, fans were very "eh, ok" whether they won or lost.

The problem with Quebec fans was the fact 95% of them were Montreal fans, so as long as the Habs were winning, who cares what the Nords were doing. I bet now there would be a much better following for the Nords considering the way Montreal has faded a bit thanks to our Hockey hero Bettman. It is going to take Bettman to quit and have one of the orginal six teams win the cup to keep hockey out of this regional interest it has now, Bettman has completley ruined this game, I just don't understand this guy :angry:

The fact that they're on the radar screen as far as a potential move is bad. Doesn't mean it'll happen but doesn't speak very well about the health of the franchise in that locale.

i think it will stil happen eventually. Just not as soon as everyone thinks. Most people are assuming that balsillie will play out this next season and then buy out the lease or take it to court or otherwise. Personally, I think he's going to lay low and try to wait out the city. He knows that we're mounting a huge ticket push right now, which pretty much guarantees 4 years in nashville, but if he slowly erodes the team (not deliberately, but does it smart) and the team misses the playoffs for a couple of years, he knows the fans will fade away. It's really shaping up to be a giant staring contest. Whichever side blinks first, loses.

Legion,

Here is what I see, and I hate to see say this, but if Mr. "Blackberry" wants to move the team, I see him raising ticket prices, so those great $10 tickets would become $25.

I see it too, luckily the prices for next season are set and renewals are already mostly done. But season after next, watching the ticket prices will be interesting. Especially with a ticket push, it would only be natural for prices to jump up. he can simply use supply and demand as an excuse for jacking them up "hey, attendance jumped 30%, so prices are going up 30%"

As an article on TSN.ca suggests, the off season signings could reveal the new owner's hand.

If they don't make much of an effort to keep any of their UFA's like Kariya, Forsberg, Hartnell, etc. it's probably because they're going into "rebuilding mode" as in rebuilding the Predators in a new market.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210221&hubname=nhl

Ultimately with the Nashville, whether they meet the ticket quota or not, it seems like it's only delaying the inevitable.

yup. all we can do is try to delay it as long as possible. It would really be something if we can start packing the place and we're sitting here in 10 years talking about how balsillie is selling the Preds because he can't move them :D

all he's got to do is set ticket prices to rediculous prices and put a bad team on the ice.

however, there's gotta be something in the lease that will stop him from raising ticket prices TOO high don't ya think?

As an article on TSN.ca suggests, the off season signings could reveal the new owner's hand.

If they don't make much of an effort to keep any of their UFA's like Kariya, Forsberg, Hartnell, etc. it's probably because they're going into "rebuilding mode" as in rebuilding the Predators in a new market.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=210221&hubname=nhl

Cullen is basically saying Nashville should not re-sign anyone and blow the season to keep the fans away. I think that the fans will see through this, if it does happen, and still go anyways though. I mean, it would be pretty obvious if they let all of their big name players get away.

Not So Fast??? :sly:

Nashville Post article:

"NashvillePost.com sources close to the team say that both news items have outgoing Predators owner Craig Liepold and NHL Gary Bettman "irked" and that they are not pleased with the prospective buyer's actions."

Here's the entire article:

Balsillie makes further moves to take Preds up north

06-13-2007 10:44 AM â€â€

The Canadian newspapers National Post and the Globe and Mail have posted stories in the last hour documenting moves that incoming Nashville Predators owner Jim Balsillie is making to relocate the team to Canada.

In the National Post article, Balsillie is said to have filed a formal request with the National Hockey League, along with his ownership application, to be granted permission to relocate the team. Balsillie is asking that the contentious issue be handled at the same time is ownership application is considered on June 19 and 20 by the 30-member NHL Board of Governors.

In related news, the Globe and Mail is reporting that Balsillie has reached an agreement with the city of Hamilton, Ontario that would make it the new home of the Predators in the case of relocation. This news would come as a major disappointment to the Kitchener-Waterloo area, which had been courting Balsillie.

NashvillePost.com sources close to the team say that both news items have outgoing Predators owner Craig Liepold and NHL Gary Bettman "irked" and that they are not pleased with the prospective buyer's actions.

When Balsillie recently tried to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins, he abandoned the move over a refusal of the NHL to allow him to move the team.

Balsillie better worry about getting approval for the purchase first. He's really pushing all the wrong buttons with this whole thing. The BoG already didn't like him from the whole Penguins mess, and now he's pushing even harder with the Preds. A few of them have already voiced their displeasure in his approach to buying a team, and now Leipold and Bettman are showing that they aren't exactly thrilled with what he's doing.

It would wonderful if Jim gets sent to bed without supper on this thing. He's not the only one with money and the BoG don't like to see a guy trying to do everything he can do get around them. I'd only feel bad for Leipold if the deal was voted down, because he might be the only guy less popular than Balsillie in Nashville right now.

forgot this one too... :cool:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

However, the plans are conditional on Balsillie's $220-million (U.S.) purchase of the Predators. One National Hockey League governor, who requested anonymity, said he and a number of his peers are not happy with the way Balsillie is conducting his bid for the team.

They are upset that while Balsillie is telling people in Nashville the team will not move as long as an arena lease (which has an out-clause based on attendance) is in place, he is also negotiating with Hamilton.

"If you join a club or a fraternity, it is a bunch of people who have to work together in a partnership," the governor said. "Sometimes you have to give up what you want for the greater good of the league. This is not the way to come in [to the NHL].

"In my travels, I've already had people, unasked, say, 'Who is this clown?' I've had three clubs mention this to me."

The governor said the three clubs were not in Southern Ontario, a reference to the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Buffalo Sabres. Under NHL rules, a team cannot move within 80 kilometres of the corporate limits of another NHL city without that club's permission and the approval of the board of governors.

However, Balsillie and his representatives have let it be known that they interpret the rules to say only the consent of a majority of NHL governors is necessary. There is also a belief among NHL people that Balsillie is willing to win the right to move to Hamilton in a court battle.

It would be very unwise for the NHL to disapprove of Balsillie's purchase. Regardless of his intentions, he would be a great owner. He and his wife are big hockey fans, there would be financial security with his bottomless pockets, and he vastly inflated the value of NHL franchises with the premium price he paid. Yes it would be great for Nashville, but it would be a major set-back for the NHL as a whole.....

He may be a good owner, but he's going about this the wrong way. Pissing off the rest of the owners and governors is not the way to get people over to your side.

Really, how would you feel if he had bought the Red Wings? Would you still be saying this is a win for the NHL?

Not So Fast??? :sly:

Nashville Post article:

"NashvillePost.com sources close to the team say that both news items have outgoing Predators owner Craig Liepold and NHL Gary Bettman "irked" and that they are not pleased with the prospective buyer's actions."

Here's the entire article:

Balsillie better worry about getting approval for the purchase first. He's really pushing all the wrong buttons with this whole thing. The BoG already didn't like him from the whole Penguins mess, and now he's pushing even harder with the Preds. A few of them have already voiced their displeasure in his approach to buying a team, and now Leipold and Bettman are showing that they aren't exactly thrilled with what he's doing.

It would wonderful if Jim gets sent to bed without supper on this thing. He's not the only one with money and the BoG don't like to see a guy trying to do everything he can do get around them. I'd only feel bad for Leipold if the deal was voted down, because he might be the only guy less popular than Balsillie in Nashville right now.

forgot this one too... :cool:

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/R...ortsHockey/home

Yeah he's really ticking off the owners with his playing both sides. I wouldn't be surprised that his purchase gets denied.

I think Balsillie would be an amazing owner!

but... if the league is really committed to growing the game. Then abandoning a non-traditional market after just 9 years, to put another team in SoOnt is not a great move. The owners really made a strong effort during the lockout to come together and focus on doing what is best for the league. So, maybe that resolve still holds today and they'll think twice about what Balsillie is proposing here.

The seeds are clearly planted in Nashville. If the team continues to be successful (with Balsillies money they would) then the fanbase will continue to grow, and given another 10 years, the 8,000 hardcores we have now, could grow to 15,000 and sell the place out every night.

Guest bullocks

He may be a good owner, but he's going about this the wrong way. Pissing off the rest of the owners and governors is not the way to get people over to your side.

Really, how would you feel if he had bought the Red Wings? Would you still be saying this is a win for the NHL?

try to find another owner that will pay $240 mill for the preds...bettman is screwed here, his hands are tied. he has to approve it; or the board of governors will.

It would be very unwise for the NHL to disapprove of Balsillie's purchase. Regardless of his intentions, he would be a great owner. He and his wife are big hockey fans, there would be financial security with his bottomless pockets, and he vastly inflated the value of NHL franchises with the premium price he paid. Yes it would be great for Nashville, but it would be a major set-back for the NHL as a whole.....

i'd love to have him as an owner for the wings...because u know he'd spend all the money he can to have a winner. but we already got that in illitch :thumbup:

Edited by bullocks

but... if the league is really committed to growing the game. Then abandoning a non-traditional market after just 9 years, to put another team in SoOnt is not a great move. The owners really made a strong effort during the lockout to come together and focus on doing what is best for the league. So, maybe that resolve still holds today and they'll think twice about what Balsillie is proposing here.

The seeds are clearly planted in Nashville. If the team continues to be successful (with Balsillies money they would) then the fanbase will continue to grow, and given another 10 years, the 8,000 hardcores we have now, could grow to 15,000 and sell the place out every night.

Agreed. That is the one good thing that would come of a disapproval..... However, in my opinion, there are more negative ramifications that would result. Liepold would be forced to continue (possibly) losing money, rather than making up all past losses in this purchase, meanwhile continuing to be very unpopular in Nashville, as you mentioned. And as I previously mentioned, they would be denying a great, deep-pocketed, hockey-fan owner a franchise, nullifying any inflation in value of NHL franchises that would have resulted, and probably deter some future buyers (of any current or expansion franchise) due to them being scared/annoyed of how controlling the NHL is.

Guest bullocks

Yes take them to Ontario, Hamilton area will easily support an NHL team, NHL needs more teams in Canada I am all for the move for the better of the game let it happen Bettman

30 mins from me would be great...i'm all for it :lol:

if this does happen, and they stay in the central for atleast a year...i'd be able to see the wings many times a yr...hell, i might even buy season tickets. :clap:

Why is he pissing off other owners??? Let's see overpay for a team drives my teams worth up, another candian team for a candian sport, how much does it cost to fly my team to centeral cananda rather then nashville. Bettmen wanted rivalry what better then the fight for the Toronto area. Move Nashville and Detroit to the east add KC and LV and the divisions are even again.

Edited by lfd250

Balsillie will start selling season's tickets and private boxes for Copps Coliseum tomorrow (or at least gathering names via deposits). Deposits range from $500 for an upper-bowl seat, to $1000 for a lower-bowl seat.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Balsillie will start selling season's tickets and private boxes for Copps Coliseum tomorrow (or at least gathering names via deposits). Deposits range from $500 for an upper-bowl seat, to $1000 for a lower-bowl seat.

Where did that come from???? ( Source, please :) )