• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WingedWheels

Nashville's days appear numbered

Rate this topic

Ontario billionaire Jim Balsillie, who has a letter of agreement to buy the Nashville Predators for $220 million, has reactivated a lease agreement for rights to use Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, Ontario, for an NHL team.

Mayor Fred Eisenberger told the Hamilton Spectator that Balsillie "has assured me that he wants to secure a team and he is interested in bringing it to Hamilton."

Would that make Wings fans feel better, playing a Canadian team instead of one from Nashville? OK, it wouldn't be the Leafs, but Hamilton is just outside Toronto.

It's been speculated that Hamilton might be just a temporary home, with the team eventually moving a little farther out in the province, in the Kitchener-Waterloo area, where Balsillie is from.

But it's all speculation, maybe wishful thinking. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has said it's premature to think the Predators will be moved. Even the sale would first have to be approved by the NHL board of governors.

But that hasn't stopped people in Hamilton, which has long coveted an NHL team, from getting their hopes up.

City councillor Tom Jackson, who sits on the NHL subcommittee, told the Spectator: "I wouldn't waste my time and effort on supporting this if I didn't think there was at least a legitimate opportunity this time around."

-Detroit Free Press, June 01, 2007

After spending a few years at the Royal Conservatory of Music, University of Toronto, Robert Goulet can safely say that the Toronto/Hamilton area can and will support another NHL team. Of course, they'll need to have Robert Goulet sing O Canada! on opening night to ensure their success.

Nashvilles not going anywhere :!: Craig Leopold has signed the letter of intent to sell the team. The consent agreement is that no one can move a team for 7 years while there is a lease with the city. The lease ends next year. There is a clause in their contract with the city (the Cure Clause). The Clause states that if the Predators fail to sell less than 14,000 for 2 consecutive seasons, then the Preds envoke the next season as the cure season. If the team fails to sell 14,000 average attendance during the season then the team may leave the city. THe city also has the option of picking up the short fall to make it to 14,000

THe predators are the only team with a greater percentage of season ticket owners that are individuals and not corporate (65% vs 35%). The average paid attendance was 13,815 per game. That is only 185 tickets the city would need to pay $320,000 to pick up the slack. The city council may not go for this, but the onis is squarly on the fans.

If the preds fans step up that is enough to keep the team in the city for another 7 years. I don't think that they are going anywhere.

Guest bullocks

Nashvilles not going anywhere :!: Craig Leopold has signed the letter of intent to sell the team. The consent agreement is that no one can move a team for 7 years while there is a lease with the city. The lease ends next year. There is a clause in their contract with the city (the Cure Clause). The Clause states that if the Predators fail to sell less than 14,000 for 2 consecutive seasons, then the Preds envoke the next season as the cure season. If the team fails to sell 14,000 average attendance during the season then the team may leave the city. THe city also has the option of picking up the short fall to make it to 14,000

THe predators are the only team with a greater percentage of season ticket owners that are individuals and not corporate (65% vs 35%). The average paid attendance was 13,815 per game. That is only 185 tickets the city would need to pay $320,000 to pick up the slack. The city council may not go for this, but the onis is squarly on the fans.

If the preds fans step up that is enough to keep the team in the city for another 7 years. I don't think that they are going anywhere.

They are definitely going somewhere. If you think Balsillie is buying them for $220 million WAY over what their worth and keeping them in Nashville your only fooling yourself. Just like Pittsburgh if there is a stipulation he can't work around he'll baill out. They will move i'm guessing within the next 3 years to Kitchener/Watterloo.

If Winnipeg and Quebec can't support a NHL team, what makes you think that Hamilton would??

It'll be going to Kitchener/Waterloo. And because Winnipeg, Quebec is a joke?

Edited by bullocks

I'm sorry, but this story just keeps me coming back to see the Nashville folks deny whats pretty damned obvious. I think its hilarious.

Try supporting your team next time around. Any city who can't do that in 10 years deserves to lose it.

If Winnipeg and Quebec can't support a NHL team, what makes you think that Hamilton would??

You've obviously never been to any of these places. :lol:

Feel free to correct this if its wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's also a clause in that agreement that states he can exit the lease early for an $18 Million fee, which is what I'm guessing he will do.

Guest DetroitIan

This just makes me feel so good inside. LOL Bye Bye preds. Good riddance. Those hicks don't deserve a winning team.

Guest bullocks

Kitchener/Waterloo is like 45 mins to an hour from me. I might be seeing the Preds alot lol

I thought the Preds were staying in Nashville

the question is if the juice is worth the squezze you know toronto and buffalo will demand compensation much like the orioles in baseball did with the nationals also will they stay in the west and the central divison

Kitchener/Waterloo is like 45 mins to an hour from me. I might be seeing the Preds alot lol

I say why not move the team to vegas they are just begging for any sports team

The Canadian dollar has gained more value since either of those teams were last in the league. Bad comparison.

Quebec City could probably support a team again. You'd still get the purist, who like the Habs, but overall if the Habs don't make any strides to win, and are a bubble playoff team every year, you'll see more fans jump on the Nordiques bandwagon (or whatever they may be called).

Winnipeg couldn't support a team then, and it can't now either. The corperate support in Winnipeg is worse than in Nashville. Not to mention the MTS Centre is an AHL oriented arena, and is not meant to handle the large crowds an NHL team will bring. Seating can be expanded, but that's a painful process, and some seats will likely have obstructed viewing.

I have a feeling vegas is going to get a team... just not before Hamilton/Kitchener/Watterloo does.

maybe the Vegas Panthers?

Did you see how many Buffalo fans were at there playoff games this year? TONS, that is probably one of the best places to put a franchise right now, its almost a guaranteed to be successful, there are just tons of fans around that area, not to mention that I'm sure Toronto's season tickets are almost impossible to get and probably expensive (like Detroit's) so I'd bet some fans would just buy Hamilton's tickets just to see some Hockey, Just like some Red Wings fans buy Bluejackets tickets just because they are close and the tickets are cheap.

the question is if the juice is worth the squezze you know toronto and buffalo will demand compensation much like the orioles in baseball did with the nationals also will they stay in the west and the central divison

I'd like to see a team moved to Vegas rather then expanded, because I'm not really too keen on the whole "expansion draft" thing <_<

Vegas has an arena football team.

Guest bullocks

as long as its out of the 65 mile zone of toronto and buffalo they can't say s***. the only problem would be the t.v. rights. buffalo was trying to get their games on canadian tv for years.

My buddy is from the Kitchener-Waterloo area and we have been talking about the possibility of them getting a NHL team. they could support it without a doughty. Leafs tickets are way to much money for the standard fan to go to games but if there was another team they would have cheaper tickets.

I think Hamilton will end up with the Predators. Hamilton is a larger city, and has a larger Metro area than the Waterloo area, and has an Arena in Copps Coliseum that is large enough to host NHL games right now; it was built in the hopes of getting an NHL expansion team.

I like Nashville, had a lot of fun visiting. But I didn't see one Predators sign in one bar while down there. Every town has to believe in something, Nashville believes it will have another drink and listen to Kenny Chesney's 22nd hit single that sounds the same as the 21st and 20th and 19th; not the Predators.

New Olympia Stadium

Feel free to correct this if its wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's also a clause in that agreement that states he can exit the lease early for an $18 Million fee, which is what I'm guessing he will do.

that's IF they fail to meet the 14,000 requirement and the city doesn't pick up the extra tickets. There's a few other fees that would have to be paid as well, the total would be something around $33M and goes down a couple mil each year.

Gambling is the biggest reason why major sports teams in general are not in Vegas.

Correct.

Vegas is the only city big enough in Neveda to really support a team, but it is the gambling issue that scares most off. In a few years, if other cities like Reno or Carson City are built up enough to support teams, then maybe you can give it a shot up there. While I think having a team in Vegas would be an interesting experiment, it probably wouldn't work out, because of the gambling.

I think Hamilton will end up with the Predators. Hamilton is a larger city, and has a larger Metro area than the Waterloo area, and has an Arena in Copps Coliseum that is large enough to host NHL games right now; it was built in the hopes of getting an NHL expansion team.

Copps Coliseum is a relic. It's almost as old as the Joe, not in as good condition, and plans regarding its use were the main reason Hamilton's expansion bid in the late 90s was denied in favor of Nashville, Atlanta, Minnesota, and Columbus.