• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hckypete96

Why not get rid of the kicking rule?

Rate this topic

While watching the sens v.s. ducks game, and that 3rd goal by the sens was under review, i thought to myself why is the kicking rule still in place? With all of the rule changes the league has been trying to make, why not allow players to kick the puck into the net? I mean it can already go off of your skate, as long as there's no "kicking motion"..... why should it matter? I know this is just a small rule, but it seems like a silly one to keep to me. What do you guys think?

edit: Kicking rule is not as bad as the delay of game rule for shooting puck over the glass... dont even get me started on that one...

On one hand, I agree with you- I wouldn't mind seeing players be able to kick the puck in; it would be exciting..but yeah, it's not soccer...and if you allowed kicks, why not just allow throws and letting players bat the puck into the net with their hands.

I brought this up during the GDT..... I definitely think that any goal off the foot should count, you should be allowed to intentionally kick the puck into the net. It would add a new dimension to the game and get rid of any controversy on the matter. It wouldn't happen that often, but it would be nice to have the option of kicking it in if your stick is tied up in front of the net or pulling some deke with the option, I'm sure there are players that could make use of it......

The kicking rule is designed to prevent guys from injuring each other trying to kick pucks into the net. It's not often you see guys get cut by skates, but when it happens, it can be pretty gruesome.

I think the rule especially protects the goalie. Can you imagine if guys were allowed to try a kick the puck in some of those scrums around the net?

This is why the kicking rule exists.

WARNING NOT graphic but bloody as hell

Goalie Throat Slash

If it wasn't for the fact that Buffalo's trainer spent time in the military as a combat medic he would have died before he left the ice.:patriot:

Yes there is more neck protection but... :crazy:

The kicking rule is designed to prevent guys from injuring each other trying to kick pucks into the net. It's not often you see guys get cut by skates, but when it happens, it can be pretty gruesome.

I think the rule especially protects the goalie. Can you imagine if guys were allowed to try a kick the puck in some of those scrums around the net?

Exactly. Having 10 players kicking at a puck with razor sharp blades on their feet is a bad idea.

Holy s***!!! Yeah its definitely a bad idea.

Edited by Statts

Goalie Throat Slash

If it wasn't for the fact that Buffalo's trainer spent time in the military as a combat medic he would have died before he left the ice. :patriot:

Incorrect. if it wasn't for the fact Malarchuk was incredibly lucky in where he was actually cut--less than an inch higher and/or slightly deeper and he'd have been dead in a matter of seconds. Consider something left off that video; Malarchuk skated off the ice under his own power, holding his bleeding neck. And the only thought in his head at the time: "I don't want to die on the ice."

Incorrect. if it wasn't for the fact Malarchuk was incredibly lucky in where he was actually cut--less than an inch higher and/or slightly deeper and he'd have been dead in a matter of seconds. Consider something left off that video; Malarchuk skated off the ice under his own power, holding his bleeding neck. And the only thought in his head at the time: "I don't want to die on the ice."

Quoted it for ya... or are you upset because I used the word would instead of a different one?

wiki

What saved Malarchuk's life—more accurately, who—was Jim Pizzutelli, the team's trainer and a former Army medic who served in Vietnam. He reached into Malarchuk's neck and pinched off the bleeding, not letting go until doctors arrived to begin suturing the wound. Still, Malarchuk came within minutes of becoming only the second on-ice fatality in NHL history (the first, and thus far only, was Bill Masterton)

Edited by vangvace

Quoted it for ya... or are you upset because I used the word would instead of a different one?

wiki

What that doesn't mention is this:

It was estimated that if the skate hit 1/8 inch higher on Malarchuk's jugular, he would have been dead within two minutes. In the dressing room and on his way to the hospital, doctors spent 90 minutes and used over 300 stitches to close the wound.

[/font]

As I said, what saved his life was nothing more than a matter of luck in where he was cut.

What that doesn't mention is this:

[/font]

[/font]

As I said, what saved his life was nothing more than a matter of luck in where he was cut.

ok you give credit to luck... I'll give mine to the medic with his fingers stopping the bleeding.

I never liked how goals are prevented from a deliberate kicking motion, but even though it's probably a one in a million chance that somebody could get severely hurt from a kicking motion from the skate, that possibility still exists, so the rule should stay in place IMO.

Oh it is clar why that rule is in effect, and I agree with it totally. However I could also see how they ruled that goal a non kicking motion. If you look at the shot from the camera angle right behind whoever shot it, I can't remember, it appears that his skate gets stuck in the ice and he actually doesn't move his skate forward (meaning towards the net) until after the puck had clearly finished its contact with his skate.

Oh it is clar why that rule is in effect, and I agree with it totally. However I could also see how they ruled that goal a non kicking motion. If you look at the shot from the camera angle right behind whoever shot it, I can't remember, it appears that his skate gets stuck in the ice and he actually doesn't move his skate forward (meaning towards the net) until after the puck had clearly finished its contact with his skate.

:thumbup: Thats the way I feel as well. I don't think that allowing this goal should shake the very foundations of the NHL at all, there have been way more controversial goals then this I'm sure. Just people being overly dramatic :rolleyes: