• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Detroit # 1 Fan

Hasek decision will come before Draft

Rate this topic

My friend's girlfriend lives down the street from Dom. His house just went up for sale this week, wonder if that means anything.

Maybe they want another house somewhere else in the area? There could be a good reason, like this one was just for the season, when his family wasn't here all year or something. Guess we will find out. :unsure:

It would be kinda silly to draft another goaltender with jimmy in the system.

Uh, wrong. Right now, Jimmy Howard is the ONLY goalie in the Wings' system. Stefan Liv signed with a Swedish team and will most likely play over there next year; Logan Koopmans is contemplating retirement; and Daniel Larsson isn't signed yet. Drafting another goalie would be smart, as would signing a minor-league free agent goalie.

Some people are forgetting, having more than one prospect goalie is a GOOD thing. You never know which guys are going to develop and which ones aren't. Look at the Tigers and their pitching... they've been able to stockpile young pitchers in their system, and it's working out great for them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Fe...a?urn=nhl,35127

It was posted in the rumors section but it seems pretty likely that Fernandez will be up for grabs this summer. Although I don't really support the idea of having him on the team (he never seemed like a solid 1) I wouldn't mind so much having him to back up Osgood (unfortunately I dont see Osgood as a solid 1 either...) if Hasek were to leave

He probably just heard that Northville is the place to be, Loo!

:unsure: Umm nice try... Dom already lives in Northville.... or am I wrong Loo? I thought you said his son goes to NHS?

Edited by OsGOD

I went to school with Hasek's son in sixth grade. When Hasek retired, his son left and hasn't come back yet. I don't know if he's been living here or in the Czech Republic.

I went to school with Hasek's son in sixth grade. When Hasek retired, his son left and hasn't come back yet. I don't know if he's been living here or in the Czech Republic.

Kewl! But he wouldn't go back to your school anyways (asuming you went to school in Bloomfield Hills)... becuase he now lives in a new school district... He is a 'stang now :)

Edited by OsGOD

speaking of drafts (and I know this is getting of topic, but i honestly dont think it merits an entire thread devoted to it), Edmonton and St. Louis did pretty well for themselves, having landed 3 first round picks this year.

Edited by Echolalia

Guest Shoreline

Ya know, I'm highly progressive when it comes to many things, including hockey. I like new. I like how some teams have adapted to the new hockey style to include speed with physical strength. The one thing that concerns me is how slowly the Wings are adapting to this, add onto that the age.

However, I'm just a hockey fan.

I was skeptical of Hasek returning simply because of how injury prone he was, and his age. However, I was eating crow from mid-season through the playoffs. He played way beyond my own expectations. I guess that's why I'm not an NHL coach or GM. For that reason, whatever the case, I trust the management of the Wings to make the right decision. If they want Hasek back, so be it. I'll cheer him on just as much as last season, and hope for another healthy, productive one. I still remember 2002 if it were yesterday, also.

Maybe they want another house somewhere else in the area? There could be a good reason, like this one was just for the season, when his family wasn't here all year or something. Guess we will find out. :unsure:

With how long it takes for some homes to sell in the Detroit area he might just be getting ready for after next season :hehe:

With how long it takes for some homes to sell in the Detroit area he might just be getting ready for after next season :hehe:

Tis true... however if that was the case... he would have had his house on the market last season.... a 2 year on the market at least timeframe ;)

Tis true... however if that was the case... he would have had his house on the market last season.... a 2 year on the market at least timeframe ;)

:rotflmao:

Ain't that the truth. I'm happy my sister was able to find a renter for her house after trying to sell it for two years :crybaby:

Uh, wrong. Right now, Jimmy Howard is the ONLY goalie in the Wings' system. Stefan Liv signed with a Swedish team and will most likely play over there next year; Logan Koopmans is contemplating retirement; and Daniel Larsson isn't signed yet. Drafting another goalie would be smart, as would signing a minor-league free agent goalie.

Some people are forgetting, having more than one prospect goalie is a GOOD thing. You never know which guys are going to develop and which ones aren't. Look at the Tigers and their pitching... they've been able to stockpile young pitchers in their system, and it's working out great for them.

I really should have put drafting a goalie in the first round would be silly. I'm very aware of the above thanks. What i was responding to there was the fact that some people would like it if Dom retired, we draft another goalie in the first round, start ozzie, bring up howard (he's not ready) and then put our newly drafted goalie in the ahl. This is why we have free agency, it would be prospect sucide to bring jimmy up now, and shove kid right out of college directly into a starters role in the ahl.

Guest bullocks

Not to sound like a goof, but has anyone heard how Howard is developing in the AHL? What if Dom retires - do we go UFA (Abby, orGiggy) or trade (Toskala, or Bryzgalov) :unsure:

howard's gonna be in the AHL next year. depending how things so he should be in the NHL shortly there after. i would think we'd prolly go via trade route. i wouldn't mind toskola he's relatively cheap.

Guest bullocks

From what I recall Howard had a great career in college, but so far he's been "good" @ the AHL level; nothing spectacular from what I've heard. What's your take on Ducks back-up Brzygalov?

He could probably start on some NHL teams. But i wouldn't be confident with him between the pipes for Detroit thats for sure. He played in the post-season for Anaheim last year. This year they went with Giguerre.

Not to sound like a goof, but has anyone heard how Howard is developing in the AHL? What if Dom retires - do we go UFA (Abby, orGiggy) or trade (Toskala, or Bryzgalov) :unsure:

What's interesting is that San Jose doesn't have a 1st round pick in the draft, and the Wings have asked Dom to give them a decision before the draft...

What's interesting is that San Jose doesn't have a 1st round pick in the draft, and the Wings have asked Dom to give them a decision before the draft...

Hmm. Someone is thinking here, but is Toskala or Nabokov worth a number one, or would there be more included. I admit this year's trade deadline devalued draft picks for players.

He could probably start on some NHL teams. But i wouldn't be confident with him between the pipes for Detroit thats for sure. He played in the post-season for Anaheim last year. This year they went with Giguerre.

Aye, what does detroit have horrible defense? I am confused why he would make it anywhar else but Not in detroit? Savvy? Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty!

Edited by OsGOD

Hmm. Someone is thinking here, but is Toskala or Nabokov worth a number one, or would there be more included. I admit this year's trade deadline devalued draft picks for players.

Toskala is not worth it--a 30-year old goaltender who has never been a starter is not worth a first round pick.

He might have the talent, but he's too old with too little experience to justify that kind of return on his own.

San Jose might be looking to acquire cheap defense with UFA Hannan looming. Lilja and a 1st for Toskala and McLaren might be a trade San Jose would consider--Lilja played damn well down the stretch and in the playoffs, and this trade would clear up about 2.5m in salary that could be used to retain Hannan. Detroit would get McLaren, who would replace Danny Markov's salary and function, but with a younger player who has more offensive skill, as well as Toskala, who could successfully platoon with Osgood until Howard is ready. Both Toskala and Osgood are UFA at the end of the year, so even if it backfired, there's no long-term obligation there. Ultimately, it depends on a)how highly San Jose thinks of Lilja, and b)how badly San Jose wants to keep Hannan.

Edited by eva unit zero

In the immediate aftermath of the Kick to the Groin, I gotta admit I was sold on Dom coming back- not "sold," like I needed convincing, but sold as in if Dom came back, we'd be as much a lock for the finals next year as any team could be. And if we do get our Insane Czech Goaltender back next year, great. We could obviously do a lot worse.

But after watching this soon-to-be-over SCF series, and with news the cap might be up to 52mil next year, I'm wondering if it might not be worth it to make a serious pitch for Jiggy. As in, a maximum salary pitch. It'll make the cap a pain in a couple years, and require jettisonning some payroll along the way- e.g., trade Kronwall and his 3mil sometime over the next two years, bye-bye Schneider, Draper, etc., in two years, in order to clear cap space for Hank- but it just might be worth it in the long run. Jiggy is a lock for another Conn Smythe, and we've finally got the organizational depth to absorb losses on our blue line and our third and fourth lines. And Lidstrom isn't going to play until he's 45, IMO...

It would be a bold move, for sure, and might be useless, as some think Giguere won''t leave SoCal due to family issues, but our team is changing, either way. Why try to sign Smyth to a big deal when we could have the chance to lock in perhaps the best goaltender of his generation, who's just 30 years old? Howard's supposed to be the real deal, but goaltending prospects are notoriously unpredictable, and it's very tough to bring along a truly great, as opposed to serviceable, number one through player development (see, Dominik Hasek!). Maybe Howard gets us more mileage as trade bait in a year or two...

If the choice is try to sign a Smyth or a Giguere, who do you go with? Obviously, either one is a long shot in a salary cap world, and getting Hasek back is great in itself if he decides to return for a decent price, but I was wondering about this, watching Jiggy singlehandedly steal a berth in the finals from our boys, and dismantle the Number One Offence in the NHL in the SCF... Thoughts?