• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rice

Cap to $52 million next season?

Rate this topic

Brooks:

Slap Shots has been told that the NHLPA is planning to exercise its right under the CBA to request that a full five-percent bump be built into next season's cap. If 2006-07 league revenues come it at $2.36B - Gary Bettman on Monday said he thought the number would be close to $2.4B - a five-percent bump would bring next season's upper limit to approximately $52M.

We've learned that the PA was urged to push the cap as high as possible by, among others, Major League Baseball PA executive director Don Fehr and former NBA union head Charles Grantham during a meeting in Toronto last Monday with members of the NHLPA's current leadership group.

With revenues growing by between 7-and-10 percent - Thank You Fans for Paying Higher Ticket Prices, will be the message inscribed into the ice next year - there is no reason whatsoever for the players not to insist the cap be raised to its legal limit; not one.

Good news for the Wings.

Slap Shots has been told that the NHLPA is planning to exercise its right under the CBA to request that a full five-percent bump be built into next season's cap. If 2006-07 league revenues come it at $2.36B - Gary Bettman on Monday said he thought the number would be close to $2.4B - a five-percent bump would bring next season's upper limit to approximately $52M.

We've learned that the PA was urged to push the cap as high as possible by, among others, Major League Baseball PA executive director Don Fehr and former NBA union head Charles Grantham during a meeting in Toronto last Monday with members of the NHLPA's current leadership group.

With revenues growing by between 7-and-10 percent - Thank You Fans for Paying Higher Ticket Prices, will be the message inscribed into the ice next year - there is no reason whatsoever for the players not to insist the cap be raised to its legal limit; not one.

Which is odd because in detroit we found out FIRST HAND the Salaries Prices and Cap limit don't go hand in hand with the Ticket Prices Mr. I sets... Salaries Slashed in half... Ticket prices RAISED 10% for us season ticket holders.... YAY!

Edited by OsGOD

Good news, indeed, for the Wings. And I'm all for it. However... Bad news for the league. In just a few years, we'll be right back where we started before the lockout.

That guy must have attended school in Alabama.

5% of this year's cap of $44M is $2,200,000.00, making next season's cap $46.2M NOT $52M

Good news, indeed, for the Wings. And I'm all for it. However... Bad news for the league. In just a few years, we'll be right back where we started before the lockout.

na i dont think we'll ever have like a 70-80 million cap where teams like the wings can just get anyone , i think the highest it might go is between 55 to 60 .........its just going up a significant amount now cause it was too low before but it'll stable out i believe , no way we'lll have 70 million caps , the nhl aint the nfl ........and you guys are talking about how if the cap goes up its good news for the wings ..........if it goes up then players salarys go up as well , so it wont really matter that much

Edited by zetterbergfuturemvp

The league won't end up like it did before the lockout; the salary cap is a set percentage of league revenues. So if the league's financial intake begins to fall, so will the cap. The reason they're discussing raising the cap is because the league is bringing in more money. Either way, it's still a set percentage.

How???? Revenues were $2.1 bil for this season (06-07) and bettman even said a few times recently, that the league revenues were going to rise 6-7%.

a 6% increase would give you $2.2 bil in revenues putting the cap at $46.4 mil

a 7% increase would give u $2.25 bil in revenues putting the cap at $47.5 mil

The article by brooks suggests that NHLPA is planning to exercise its right under the CBA to request that a full 5% bump is built into next season's cap. If you factor that in with the 7% increase, you're looking at a cap of $49.5 mil at the most.

Going into the lockout, salaries were 75% of league revenue. That is not even mathematically possible under the cap.

Hey, if it means we can keep Markov, Schneider, Hudler and Bert, as well as give Dom a raise (if he comes back), I'm all for it!

is it true 1.1 mill will count against the cap next season for hasek's bonus and 300 g's for chelios ??( didnt even know we owed hasek that much and owed chelios an extra 300g's ) if so that blows, 1.4 lost already .......so if were lucky and its 52 million and we'll wanna leave 2mill cap space to make changes if need be that means our real cap number is 48.5 , and thats if the caps 52, if its 47 like we heard then we only have 43.5 really

Edited by zetterbergfuturemvp

is it true 1.1 mill will count against the cap next season for hasek's bonus and 300 g's for chelios ??( didnt even know we owed hasek that much and owed chelios an extra 300g's ) if so that blows, 1.4 lost already .......so if were lucky and its 52 million and we'll wanna leave 2mill cap space to make changes if need be that means our real cap number is 48.5 , and thats if the caps 52, if its 47 like we heard then we only have 43.5 really

Yes, it's true:

Celios - performance bouns of 0.300

Hasek - performance bonus of 1.100

nhlnumbers.com

Guest DetroitIan

Great to hear. I just started a thread a week ago wondering about this. This is definitely great news for the Wings.

I kinda like the stiff salary. it does increase competitiveness and adds a lot of emphasis to GM's smartness. and it most certainly improves the tactical aspect of the game.

what I don't like about the rules (pre- and post-cap era) is how it f* the teams with long term success and strips them from quality draft picks. yes, I understand the league has to give a chance to the teams to rebuild, but with salary cap giving teams some freedom to trade their assets (and fish valuable guys from the market) why sticking with current drafting order (worse teams pick first). they now have tools to rise from league bottom, because if they need to rebuild they can just move veterans at trade deadline for draft picks.

also... with salary cap the emphasis(sp?) is to large extent on being able to scoop young talent and have skilled kids ripping scoresheets for small bucks (see: Ducks, Pens). I do somehow like the fact that this enforces GM's to chase instant success, because they can't just develop teams for many years, but... but in the end it also digs a hole under older teams (see: Wings, Blues). and it also introduces a drastic moment when GM has to say goodbye to many of his talented kids who reach the age of negotiating fat contract (see: Oilers, Pens ~2010). I'd like to see less stricter limitations to youngsters salaries and/or less contrains(sp?) to their trades

just my 0.02$

I think the problem with reports like this is that it makes people think that the cap WILL BE $52 million, just because it is written in print.

Some have questionned the math, as will I, doesn't seem to work. I'll hold off on the cap number until the league actually sets it. I'm not going but what some writer thinks. If I had to guess, I'm still thinking somewhere around $48 million.

Funny thing, even with a cap of $52 million, if every team had a payroll at the cap (I know, won't come close to happening), and league revenues are $2.4 billion as noted above, the players will be giving back $264 million to the owners at the end of the year ($300-400,000 per player).

wow i remember the year before the strike the average team salary was somewhere in the mid 40 millions...the strike did what???

To be accurate it was a lockout, not strike and here are a few things you need to understand:

- Revenues have increased beyond where they were before the lockout (I think)

- You say average team salary was around $45 million, which I am not sure if that is true, but assuming it is, next year's average (even with a cap of $52 million) would be less than $45 million. Some teams were spending $70-80 million before the lockout.

- Most important fact, before the lockout player salaries represented 75+% of revenues, now it is only 54%.

Edited by toby91_ca