• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SouthernWingsFan

Don Cherry - I take it back

Rate this topic

All righty, the limited few times I have seen Don Cherry, I thought he was a jackass. Well he still is (:lol:), but after watching him and Hull yap away during the 2nd intermission, how can you not like this guy? Behind him being loud and obnoxious though, he seems to know what he's talking about.

And when he jabbed at Hull for his foot in the crease goal, I just lost it laughing my a** off. I wouldn't be surprised if I my neighbors heard me.

LMFAO, he just called somebody a tree hugger on the air! :lol:

That was priceless. Don Cherry does this every week so it's nothing special for him, but you could tell Hull was loving it. They should have those 2 together for every game.

He's the greatest. I watch the first HNIC intermission religiously just to catch his Coach's Corner every Saturday night, even if I have to switch off a Wings game for a few minutes to do it.

All righty, the limited few times I have seen Don Cherry, I thought he was a jackass. Well he still is (:lol:), but after watching him and Hull yap away during the 2nd intermission, how can you not like this guy? Behind him being loud and obnoxious though, he seems to know what he's talking about.

And when he jabbed at Hull for his foot in the crease goal, I just lost it laughing my a** off. I wouldn't be surprised if I my neighbors heard me.

LMFAO, he just called somebody a tree hugger on the air! :lol:

i thought the same thing when i was watching him at intermission :lol:

Guest Shoreline

I was IM'ing a friend the whole time, who doesn't watch much hockey but is a fan, and told him they should just shut up and let Don Cherry talk the whole time. While in some cases he babbles, he's one person I always trust to know what's best for the game. I'd give him Bettman's job any day.

Although, he was wrong about Ahnold and "left" -- shoulda stuck with the other tongue-in-cheek remarks about "right" and "center". If Ahnold is left, I'm left off the f-ing radar.

Edited by Shoreline

This is what happens with no MacLean to slow him down. :D

I know what you mean about Maclean, but it's sooo funny to watch them together, he's like the kid that doesn't want his auld Da to embarass him

MacLean was KILLA in his relentless pursuit of Bettman pre-game 2. I nearly stood and cheered, I did.

Ehh, Bettman still weaseled and double-talked and shamatta'd outa his hard questions, but my respect for Mac went up leaps and bounds.

Love 'em both: Ye Auld & Le Avant Garde. ;)

Guest bullocks

He also Pronger shouldn't have been suspended, just like i did :D

In all seriousness tho, he's the man.

He's great, but when he talks about the Wings..I want to scream.

Ya I love Grapes, but when he was criticizing Hasek for having overly large pads, and saying he should be more like the guy at the other end of the ice (Giguere).

Vintage Cherry, but MacLean makes him that much better. Clement had no idea what to do with him and Hully wants to be just like him (good idea if he can pull it off).

If NBC and the NHL actually listened to this guy, it would be a much better game. I loved his point about how people (in the USA) say hockey fights are barbaric and the violence is deplorable while the NFL, NASCAR & Ultimate Fighting are readily enjoyed and accepted for their violence.

The truth hurts Bettman & Co. Get your heads out of your asses!

Never really have understood any of the Grapes wrath (sorry for that) around these parts, and have often held back from commenting. But agree with him, not, or like his suits or not? Geez people - how overlooked is his interestingness?

You could take away 99.99% of the f(*&^ng talking heads in nice suits found on espn(s) and the other channels and know what? I might never notice.

Grapes is interesting. 20 grit sandpaper? Hey maybe. 20 grit gets the job done though.

Yeah, I gotta admit I liked the intermission today. When he's on it doesn't feel mechanical like when Ray Ferraro talks. It feels like you're sitting around bulls***ting with friends about hockey.

I'd agree...It appears Hull wants to be the "Minnie Me" of Grapes :rolleyes:

Never happen.

Hull does have the abrasive edge: what he will never, ever have, is the heart that makes Grapes, even at his most obnoxiously jingoistic and boringly pedantic, still interesting and yes, charismatic.

Edited by RedRockit

Guest bullocks

Never happen.

Hull does have the abrasive edge: what he will never, ever have, is the heart that makes Grapes, even at his most obnoxiously jingoistic and boringly pedantic, still interesting and yes, charismatic.

Brett Hull's a prick. Never really liked him myself.

I love Grapes and I think he's very entertaining but you don't want this guy as commissioner of the NHL.

If you did, every player would be from the OHL, WHL and the NCAA.

He hates the Quebec league (or anyone from Quebec) and despises Europeans. So there goes 50% of the skill the league has to offer.

He'd also put in rules to make fighting mandatory. Whiile I enjoy a good tilt, I like the ones that are from the result of emotion boiled over. Not two goons that politely ask one another if they'd like to dance.

Probie got in a lot of scrapes and I'm sure some were 'staged', but he had some wars that were brought about by his rage and the emotion of the game. That's what makes a good fight. Not two guys that hold on to each others sweaters for 2 minutes while spinning each other around.

But if it's between a couple of guys that are really ticked off about something then it's a good show and good for the game. Did anyone see the tilt between Brad Boyes (when with Boston) and Tony Lydman earlier this year? Boy was it a dandy! Or the one with Paul Mara and Mike Richards? Another good bout.

Anyway, Cherry's great because he tells it just like he thinks it is. But you can't tell me that teams like Detroit are bad for the league. Just like you can't tell me that someone who once said "Cory Perry will be better than both Ovechkin and Crosby" is a hockey genius.

Cherry's great at what he does. He's not always right, but he's always entertaining.