• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

livediehockey80

Alfie Goes Unhinged

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

Wow...I thought Jamie McLennan's "chop shop" on Franzen was the lowest moment in the Stanley Cup playoffs. I couldn't believe Alfredsson would blatantly shoot the puck at the legs of Scott Niedermeyer in the closing seconds of the 2nd period. That's like deliberately "head-hunting" a batter in baseball or tackling a guy who is making a lay-up in basketball. That was pure ugliness on the part of Alfredsson. If that puck made direct contact on a knee...Niedermeyer would be out for the series and into the hospital to repair damaged bone material.

To top it off, he cheap shots Travis Moen with a direct punch. I really think the league should suspend Alfredsson for Game 5. Not that it will make a difference because Anaheim is going to win this series anyway.

If I were coach Murray in Ottawa, I would remove the "C" off Alfredsson's jersey and give it to either Chris Neil or Mike Fisher. Those guys are more worthy of the captain position in Ottawa in my opinion.

:rotflmao:

:looney:

Either you're being far too sarcastic or you seriously aren't very objective.

Guest micah

"Sometimes winning is not the be-all end-all."

I emphatically disagree. There are no moral victories in profesional sports. I am aware that there are fans out there who say "I'd rather lose to the ducks than win the way they're winning". I am not of this mindset. I would prefer a Wings team of cup-lifting pricks to a bunch of lady-byng candidate also-rans.

Guest Crymson

Wow...I thought Jamie McLennan's "chop shop" on Franzen was the lowest moment in the Stanley Cup playoffs. I couldn't believe Alfredsson would blatantly shoot the puck at the legs of Scott Niedermeyer in the closing seconds of the 2nd period. That's like deliberately "head-hunting" a batter in baseball or tackling a guy who is making a lay-up in basketball. That was pure ugliness on the part of Alfredsson. If that puck made direct contact on a knee...Niedermeyer would be out for the series and into the hospital to repair damaged bone material.

To top it off, he cheap shots Travis Moen with a direct punch. I really think the league should suspend Alfredsson for Game 5. Not that it will make a difference because Anaheim is going to win this series anyway.

If I were coach Murray in Ottawa, I would remove the "C" off Alfredsson's jersey and give it to either Chris Neil or Mike Fisher. Those guys are more worthy of the captain position in Ottawa in my opinion.

Seeing as that some players make a living out of blocking shots, I don't see how this was so dangerous. McLennan's chop, meanwhile, was capable of causing injury. Pronger's hits were both capable of causing SERIOUS injury.

I agree that bad sportsmanship is bad sportsmanship, but give it a rest, ok?

Lidstrom may not throw hip checks but if your in front of his net while Hasek is trying to cover a puck he'll give you a nice cross check. Homstrom will stand in front of a net and get three sticks in unprotected areas of his back. Clearly, Zetterberg and Franzen will go through a wall to score. After being called too soft for the playoffs they were the last 4 teams out of 31 or so to be left standing. I wouldn't call them lady byng canidate also-rans.

It was a classless thing for Alfie to do , but in no way should it be compared to what McLennan did to Franzen.McLennan assaulted Franzen and was deservidly punished . I don't think what Alfredsson did is worth a suspension and I can't see him getting one.

"Sometimes winning is not the be-all end-all."

I emphatically disagree. There are no moral victories in profesional sports. I am aware that there are fans out there who say "I'd rather lose to the ducks than win the way they're winning". I am not of this mindset. I would prefer a Wings team of cup-lifting pricks to a bunch of lady-byng candidate also-rans.

I could not disagree more strongly with this sentiment. If I were on the team, then I'd be all for that, because winning is the be-all end-all in that situation. But as a fan, I look up to these players, and they represent the city of Detroit, and me as a fan of the team. I absolutely love the Red Wings, but it's not just because of their success. It's because they win (and lose) with class, and represent the game of hockey well.

Edited by SeeinRed

I could not disagree more strongly with this sentiment. If I were on the team, then I'd be all for that, because winning is the be-all end-all in that situation. But as a fan, I look up to these players, and they represent the city of Detroit, and me as a fan. I absolutely love the Red Wings, but it's not just because of their success. It's because they win (and lose) with class, and represent the game of hockey well.

I second this , I agree that physical play and some aggression belongs in Hockey , but the way that the Ducks are playing is just disgraceful. Winning is everything but I'd lose a hell of alot of respect for the Wings player's if they started playing that way.

Edited by glasgowcelticwing

Guest MrSandMan

Here it is:

That?!?!? That's what all the fuss is about???? That's weak!!!!!!!

Alfie shooting a soft shot at shins/lower body intent to fire up his team < Pronger elbows guy in teeth intent to concuss and injure for remainder of series or career.

Pronger gets the 5 star dirty award! :thumbdown:

Alfie shooting a soft shot at shins/lower body intent to fire up his team < Pronger elbows guy in teeth intent to concuss and injure for remainder of series or career.

Aye, I concur and so does me parrot #2!

I second this , I agree that physical play and some aggression belongs in Hockey , but the way that the Ducks are playing is just disgraceful. Winning is everything but I'd lose a hell of alot of respect for the Wings player's if they started playing that way.

Aye!

I must have missed the section in the rule book where it says a player can't intentionally shoot the puck at another player!! Was is gutless?.. yes!! Was it deserving of penalty?.. maybe 2 minutes for unsportsmanlike!! Does it deserve a suspension?...hell no!!

Guest bullocks

you must be the biggest homer i've ever met.

Oh please. I admit, Alfie is a classless bastard for doing that. But comparing that to McLennan's battle axe or both of Pronger's hits is just plain stupid. What Alfie did was just plain stupid, but it had no magnitude on what McLennan or Pronger did.

you must be the biggest homer i've ever met.

I fail t' see the homerism Aye, me parrot #2 concurs.

Edited by OsGOD

Give me a break. The guy tried to get his team fired up. Nobody got hurt. Nobody got hit in the head. Nobody received stitches, or was knocked out.

There's a reason that defensemen wear shin protectors.

Yeah, it wasn't cool or whatever, but it's nowhere in the league of a blindsided, cheapshot to someones head

I call bulls*** on that. That's as bad as when Iggy was giving our players kidney shots to get his boys fired up. There is absolutely NO REASON for trying to hurt another player. It's bush league. Period.

After looking at the shot again I have to say it's obviously an attempt to hit Neidermayer- there's no question about it. He definitely rethough the shot and aimed it differently.

Is it comparible to Pronger's style of play? Not overall, because he doesn't shoot pucks at people every day like Pronger plays dirty day in and day out. But it's sure as hell a completely unnecessary.

After looking at the shot again I have to say it's obviously an attempt to hit Neidermayer- there's no question about it. He definitely rethough the shot and aimed it differently.

Is it comparible to Pronger's style of play? Not overall, because he doesn't shoot pucks at people every day like Pronger plays dirty day in and day out. But it's sure as hell a completely unnecessary.

I don't see how you can get that definitively from any clip.

He absolutely thought about shooting it from the blueline, then changed his mind and took another stride or two before firing the puck. But I'm not seeing any clear change of direction towards Niedermayer. He's still pretty much facing towards the net.

Could've been intentional, but I can't say for sure. But I think it's getting waaay overblown.

As we all know with Lidstrom in '02, it can't hurt to throw the puck at the net, even from center ice.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest jaytan

I didn't see it, but if Alfie did this stuff intentionally, yeah, it's pretty classless. And surprising. He's not a goon like Pronger - we EXPECT garbage like that from Pronger.

Um.... I, for one, expect worse than this from Alfredsson. When I saw the thread title, I thought it was going to be something more dramatic.

Not savvy, stupid, cowardly and cheap. If you have a problem on the ice, you don't shoot a puck at your opponent, you drop your gloves, give your opponent a chance to drop his, and challange him straight up the way it's been done for the past century or so.

this isn't about Pronger's habitual elboys to the head, it isn't about Franzen, it's about Alfredson. We can condemn what he did as wring without having to discuss weather it was better or worse than every other cheapshot in the history of the game.

I doubt Niedermayer would fight, so this wouldn't work.

me too.

If Chelios had done this, people would think it was funny.

If Maltby had done it, it would just be "agitating."

That's true, just thinking about Chelios doing it is pretty funny. :lol:

Edited by Izzy24