• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest bullocks

Sergei Fedorov

Rate this topic

Or Yzerman, or Lidstrom, or others.

It's a team sport, which is why I'm pissed he packed his s*** up and went to Anaheim. He wanted out of Detroit so badly (bad enough to take a 5 year, 40 million dollar deal, and reject a Wings 5 year, 50 million dollar offer) why would he come back anyways? Additionally, for the slap in the face, why would we want him back? Of course I'm bitter. Just as bitter as Jerry Rice leaving the 49ers for a few hundred thousand more on his yearly salary. Fedorov was a franchise player, fans latched onto that, and he showed no team loyalty. I don't have a Fedorov voodoo doll, nor do I spend much time thinking about him, but when the Wings play his team, I enjoy hearing him get booed. Hell, any time the JLA shows any liveliness, I enjoy it.

...it was just time to move on for him. He wanted a change of scenery, he already had MVP, Selke's, Stanley Cups, All Rookie awards. Noone got super pissed at Shanahan for doing the same thing! Now it was Sergei's time to get paid, all while going somewhere he could also party all night after the game. Where's he gonna party in Detroit? The Post? Yippie! Super nice little hole in the wall, but no limelight! Fedorov is a superstar, he needed to rub elbows with other superstars. Crap, look who he was linked with while in Anaheim, Tara Reid for pete's sake! The ultimate party girl. Who wouldn't want to move to Southern California, make $10Mill a season, play a game for 3 hours and go hang out with movie and rock stars? I say good on ya Sergei! No disrespect to the Wings or the Illitch's, but the man spent 20 years of his life in the SOVIET UNION!!!! He is a freakin millionaire in a free country, do you blame him for NOT wanting to spend his freedom in the AWESOME city of Detroit? Wow! What a nightlife here in the D!

...Sergei, I'd welcome you back in a heartbeat as would 99% of the people that boo you at the Joe. Raise your glasses folks! Hears to seeing #91 back where he belongs in March 2008! Hmmmm, I wonder what Fedorov's shadow of his former self would look like playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg? Hmmmm? For those of you who for some god-forsaken reason ALWAYS say "Lets give Lindros a try for a Million." Then why not give Fedorov the shot? I'd rather spend the cash on him than 3 Lindros'

It's a team sport, which is why I'm pissed he packed his s*** up and went to Anaheim. He wanted out of Detroit so badly (bad enough to take a 5 year, 40 million dollar deal, and reject a Wings 5 year, 50 million dollar offer) why would he come back anyways?

Bzzt, wrong.

[/font]

There was an initial 5/50 offer, but Fedorov asked for more time to deal with some personal issues he has going through.

Rather than allow him more time, the Wings pulled the 5th year, and only offered a 4-year, 40 million deal after that point.

Fedorov left for Anaheim because of the 5th year the Wings refused to put back on the deal.

I'm curious about the Babcock/Feds connection too.

Let's get this out of the way though, because it wasn't insinuated strongly enough yet:

If you think Feds is a worthy and cheap trade deadline acquisition, this means you would also like to (per Amazon.com!):

-Revive Terry Sawchuk

-See Harold Snepsts in the winged wheel again

-Play Marty Lapointe, Yzerman, Probert, Ray Sheppard, Kozlov, and Bernie Gallant on the same 5-man unit

-Tell Dom to not worry about playing anymore, we got Tim Cheveldae on contract again

-Trade Ozzie, we got Vincent Riendeau inked too

-And generally all around do whatever it takes to bring back past Wings from other spots around the league. This includes but is most certainly not limited to trading Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Filppula, and anyone else necessary to open past roster spots.

...who the f**k is Bernie Gallant? Why don't you go back to Hockydb.com and re-get those names. It's obvious with that kind of screw up, you don't know jack about former Wings players!

...second of all, Fedorov has still got skills. He is still one of the fastest skaters and best defensive forwards in the league. So maybe he didn't score 30 goals in Columbus, but he also didn't play with the exact same talent he had here OR he would have here. Who would Fedorov look better playing with David Vborny or Henrik Zetterberg? I think he may get a few more goals/points playing with Zetterberg or Datsyuk. Of course maybe that Bernie Gallant guy didn't utilize him the right way in Columbus...

p.s. I'd gladly welcome Marty Lapointe back as well... also, I do believe in your list of trading young Wings to bring back the past ones, Lidstrom and Holmstrom ARE old Wings. To the guy that said 'He's almost 40" So is Lidstrom, Yzerman was over 40. Dom is over 40. Ozzie is getting there. Fedorov is cast from the same stone as Larionov, who, by the way, if he hadn't retired, could easily being STILL playing. Fedorov can and will be effected well past 40...

Edited by LeftWinger

Guest bullocks

...it was just time to move on for him. He wanted a change of scenery, he already had MVP, Selke's, Stanley Cups, All Rookie awards. Noone got super pissed at Shanahan for doing the same thing! Now it was Sergei's time to get paid, all while going somewhere he could also party all night after the game. Where's he gonna party in Detroit? The Post? Yippie! Super nice little hole in the wall, but no limelight! Fedorov is a superstar, he needed to rub elbows with other superstars. Crap, look who he was linked with while in Anaheim, Tara Reid for pete's sake! The ultimate party girl. Who wouldn't want to move to Southern California, make $10Mill a season, play a game for 3 hours and go hang out with movie and rock stars? I say good on ya Sergei! No disrespect to the Wings or the Illitch's, but the man spent 20 years of his life in the SOVIET UNION!!!! He is a freakin millionaire in a free country, do you blame him for NOT wanting to spend his freedom in the AWESOME city of Detroit? Wow! What a nightlife here in the D!

...Sergei, I'd welcome you back in a heartbeat as would 99% of the people that boo you at the Joe. Raise your glasses folks! Hears to seeing #91 back where he belongs in March 2008! Hmmmm, I wonder what Fedorov's shadow of his former self would look like playing with Datsyuk or Zetterberg? Hmmmm? For those of you who for some god-forsaken reason ALWAYS say "Lets give Lindros a try for a Million." Then why not give Fedorov the shot? I'd rather spend the cash on him than 3 Lindros'

:clap:

Guest Shoreline

Bzzt, wrong.

There was an initial 5/50 offer, but Fedorov asked for more time to deal with some personal issues he has going through.

Rather than allow him more time, the Wings pulled the 5th year, and only offered a 4-year, 40 million deal after that point.

Fedorov left for Anaheim because of the 5th year the Wings refused to put back on the deal.

BZZT, WRONG. A nice, one-sided view, but nonetheless, he rejected the offer, personal issues or not. Then the Wings put up the 4 year offer, (still at $10 million per season) which was the same total price as the Ducks, minus one year. The Wings still had the better offer, however you want to twist it, he chose to go to Anaheim. While I disagree with much of LeftWinger's post, at least he concedes Feds left on his own terms, not because the Wings stiffed him.

Anyways, I'd rather keep most of the other players than sign Feds. There's the vets, then there's the up and coming. I'd rather give the younger kids a chance, and re-sign others (or sign Kozzie, for instance) than sign old news who left the team in such bad terms, and whose game has deteriorated dramatically since the day he left. Harsh world, but it was no less harsh when he left.

I never knew they didn't like each other. Where did you hear that from?

Pretty well known in SoCal. Fedorov was a prima donna when he was here. He "played" only when he felt like it even though he was on the ice. He was sick 3 or 4 times with the "flu" during the 1.5 years he was here. How many superstor players do you know that do that? At the hockey shop where I get my son's stuff and lots of Ducks players come in as well, he was known to be a joke and not in good favor with Babcock or his system.

In the 2003 playoffs, Babcock had a term for his favorite players and that term was "greasy" meaning that they worked hard; a blue collar type player. It carried over to 2004. Fedorov was never called "greasy". Pahlsson, R. Niedermayer were greasy...Feds never.

I just can't see Feds wanting to come back to the Wings and play for Babcock when he was the one who gave him such a hard time and also has a defensive minded system that would make Fedorov be physical.

The only player on the Wings that Fedorov even keeps in contact with anymore is Chelios. Fedorov made a big deal in the papers out here dissing all the Wings players by saying how they didn't keep in contact with him except for Chelios and didn't even say good-bye to him when he left. He always felt like he was playing second fiddle to Yzerman, Shanahan, Chelios, etc. How do you think he would feel now with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterburg, and the rest of the Swedes? He ripped management by saying how they botched his negotiations.

He's not a humble man and my guess is he's not going to go back crawling to the Wings or be willing to play hard during the last few years of his career.

I have 40 million reasons why I don't miss him.

lmao!!! awesome post!!

PS....foreshadowing was Feds overcelebrating his goal in game four of New Jersey's sweep of the wings..... I found it quite premadonna / bitchlike to make it 1-4 and act like you just got kornikova to go steady with you.

One positive would be, uh my screen name wouldn't be so akward.

:lol: Very true, but you can change your name if you really want to, may I suggest something with Datsyuk since he has a 7 year contract?

...who the f**k is Bernie Gallant? Why don't you go back to Hockydb.com and re-get those names. It's obvious with that kind of screw up, you don't know jack about former Wings players!

You don't know who Bernie Gallant is? Shame on you.

He's the best sixth man you could fit onto a five man unit ever. The man is everywhere the ref is not.

Pretty well known in SoCal. Fedorov was a prima donna when he was here. He "played" only when he felt like it even though he was on the ice. He was sick 3 or 4 times with the "flu" during the 1.5 years he was here. How many superstor players do you know that do that? At the hockey shop where I get my son's stuff and lots of Ducks players come in as well, he was known to be a joke and not in good favor with Babcock or his system.

In the 2003 playoffs, Babcock had a term for his favorite players and that term was "greasy" meaning that they worked hard; a blue collar type player. It carried over to 2004. Fedorov was never called "greasy". Pahlsson, R. Niedermayer were greasy...Feds never.

I just can't see Feds wanting to come back to the Wings and play for Babcock when he was the one who gave him such a hard time and also has a defensive minded system that would make Fedorov be physical.

The only player on the Wings that Fedorov even keeps in contact with anymore is Chelios. Fedorov made a big deal in the papers out here dissing all the Wings players by saying how they didn't keep in contact with him except for Chelios and didn't even say good-bye to him when he left. He always felt like he was playing second fiddle to Yzerman, Shanahan, Chelios, etc. How do you think he would feel now with Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterburg, and the rest of the Swedes? He ripped management by saying how they botched his negotiations.

He's not a humble man and my guess is he's not going to go back crawling to the Wings or be willing to play hard during the last few years of his career.

Arrr, that seems like the entire wings team durin' their first 15 mins o' their elimination game... What be th' point? who doesn't only play when they be wanting t'?

Edited by OsGOD

Wings would still be playing if Feds was either the 2nd line center or one of the top 4 dmen. Can't say that about alot of other players. He's still got skill and all that, no doubt. A deadline deal would be great, go get 'em kenny!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I love Sergei Fedorov. No other player in the NHL is nearly as complete of a player as Sergei is. Does he play up to his potential? No. Does he give 100%? No. But I don't care, he is a playoff STUD. He is more versatile than any other player in the NHL. Seriously, how many players with equal or better offensive talent, can drop back and be on the #1 D pairing, and not be a liability? Or how many number #1 Dmen could pose half the offensive threat he does? NONE.

I'd love to see him back in town. You'd see tears of joy. However, he is, plain and simple, making too much money. It's quite possible that Kenny could bring him back for a fraction of what he is currently making. But who knows if he would want to come back? Who knows if he will retire or not?

There isn't anything in the league Sergei hasn't seen, won, or been through. After this big contract has expired, he could make an equal paycheck playing in Russia. The only thing that would keep him in the NHL is a legit shot at another Cup.

Yeah, if Dom doesn't come back we simply won't have enough guys around the 40 years old mark to make it seem like a "real" wings team. I mean seriously, what's a wings team without an aging player who you freely admit doesn't give 100% all the time?

As for there being no player in the NHL nearly as complete as Sergei i'd say please send me whatever "stuff" you recently purchased b/c my stash is getting low and that stuff you're smoking must be off this hizzy!!!

Ever hear of Henrik Zetterberg? He doesn't play defense but i'd say he's a better all around player than Sergei Fedorov. I mean seriously, you think he's the most complete player in the league? Because he can play defense? That comment right there makes me think of the movie Tin Cup where Kevin Costner plays an entire round of golf with a 7 iron cause he breaks all his other clubs and the other guy tells him it never even ocurred to him to try to do something stupid like that. Like, WTF do we need Sergei Fedorov to potentially come over and play defense for us if need be? If some coach or GM out there is looking at Feds and saying to himself, "we should get this guy b/c if we have too many injuries on D he could play D" then that guy is gonna lose his job. Feds is a forward, an older slower forward at that.

PASS, PASS AND TRIPLE PASS. Just say "NO" to Feds.

Wings would still be playing if Feds was either the 2nd line center or one of the top 4 dmen. Can't say that about alot of other players. He's still got skill and all that, no doubt. A deadline deal would be great, go get 'em kenny!

I so do hate it when people just toss stuff like this out there. We lost key bodies on the blueline and were pretty much banged up all over the ice but we'd still be playing in the playoffs right now? Is that a crystal ball you got in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Before you make statements like that did you try even see if his salary were to fit under the cap? Would it have been possible to get Calder and Bertuzzi? You say we'd still be playing as if we could've added Fedorov to our lineup at the expense of Josh Langfeld or something.

I so do hate it when people just toss stuff like this out there. We lost key bodies on the blueline and were pretty much banged up all over the ice but we'd still be playing in the playoffs right now? Is that a crystal ball you got in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Before you make statements like that did you try even see if his salary were to fit under the cap? Would it have been possible to get Calder and Bertuzzi? You say we'd still be playing as if we could've added Fedorov to our lineup at the expense of Josh Langfeld or something.

I so do hate it when you act like a prick, but some things will never change, so deal with it like I do.

Yep, banged up bodies and all, still could've won the series. IMO, if Sergei was in Langs spot, or Sammys on the point on the PP, or in an injured Lebda's spot, yeah I think the team would've performed the small amount better it would've took to win. Weather that's more PP production, puck control, speed and passing skill from the blueline, whatever yeah I think he would've been more effective than Calder, Bert, Lang, what was supposed to make up the second line. You don't agree?

No, I didn't look to see if he'd of fit under the cap. I wasn't saying I thought they should've picked him up at the deadline. I simply said if he WAS on the team, I think they'd be in the finals right now. No, calm down and actually read what people type before trying to ridcule them with your ever so witty posts. I was simply saying he's not as "old and washed up" as many believe. You've already drilled you opinion of Fedorov into my head, really what is the point of your post?

Haters of Fedorov, You all know you love him, just like how you were loving Shanahan's rod after he left.

P.S. this was a joke.

Edited by Jwo

Guest jaytan

I don't know what all the arguing is about. I mean, you either hate the guy or love him (I hate him), but it doesn't matter. The Wings can't afford to spend the cash on him anyway, and we can do a lot better with the money.

Better off without Fedorov.

I don't know what all the arguing is about. I mean, you either hate the guy or love him (I hate him), but it doesn't matter. The Wings can't afford to spend the cash on him anyway, and we can do a lot better with the money.

Better off without Fedorov.

Well, IMO alot of the aruging is due to the fact that some posters just can't respect others opinions, and try to make them seem silly or stupid for likeing said player or wanting him on the team.

I agree, could get alot more for 6+ mil a year right now. But there not going to get anyone that costs that much anyway. At the deadline he's affordable. bring back 91! :thumbup:

Fedorov is the only former Wing i'd look to bring back. He'd be the only one that could actually help the team. Although he wouldn't be the first priority by any means.

do we really need another defenseman? :ph34r::lol:

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I so do hate it when you act like a prick, but some things will never change, so deal with it like I do.

Yep, banged up bodies and all, still could've won the series. IMO, if Sergei was in Langs spot, or Sammys on the point on the PP, or in an injured Lebda's spot, yeah I think the team would've performed the small amount better it would've took to win. Weather that's more PP production, puck control, speed and passing skill from the blueline, whatever yeah I think he would've been more effective than Calder, Bert, Lang, what was supposed to make up the second line. You don't agree?

No, I didn't look to see if he'd of fit under the cap. I wasn't saying I thought they should've picked him up at the deadline. I simply said if he WAS on the team, I think they'd be in the finals right now. No, calm down and actually read what people type before trying to ridcule them with your ever so witty posts. I was simply saying he's not as "old and washed up" as many believe. You've already drilled you opinion of Fedorov into my head, really what is the point of your post?

My point was that I figured you probably hadn't checked on the cap issue and I was right. My point was that if Fedorov were in Lang's spot it may not have been possible to acquire Calder and Bertuzzi. My point was that if Feds was in Lang's spot and we weren't able to have Calder and Bertuzzi then who would've been Fed's wingers? My point was that probably would've meant we'd play Hudler and some other rookie or would've had a shortened bench. And per your example, what if Feds did take Lebda's place and we didn't have Lang/Bert/calder, then who would the next forward be?

I was only breaking your balls a bit, I didn't mean for you to get all bent out of shape about it. Guess i shoulda used a smiley face or something.

Still, you don't seem to have accounted for anything I just said so yeah, maybe Fedorov could've helped us. But what would this team have been like if he was on it and we weren't able to get some of the other guys like Calder and Bert? Would a team with Fedorov and no Lang/Bert/Calder be a better one? I know you love Fedorov but you can't possibly believe he can fill 3 roster spots all by himself?

Oh well, I can't expect everyone to think before they speak. :P

happy now

Yeah, if Dom doesn't come back we simply won't have enough guys around the 40 years old mark to make it seem like a "real" wings team. I mean seriously, what's a wings team without an aging player who you freely admit doesn't give 100% all the time?

As for there being no player in the NHL nearly as complete as Sergei i'd say please send me whatever "stuff" you recently purchased b/c my stash is getting low and that stuff you're smoking must be off this hizzy!!!

Ever hear of Henrik Zetterberg? He doesn't play defense but i'd say he's a better all around player than Sergei Fedorov. I mean seriously, you think he's the most complete player in the league? Because he can play defense? That comment right there makes me think of the movie Tin Cup where Kevin Costner plays an entire round of golf with a 7 iron cause he breaks all his other clubs and the other guy tells him it never even ocurred to him to try to do something stupid like that. Like, WTF do we need Sergei Fedorov to potentially come over and play defense for us if need be? If some coach or GM out there is looking at Feds and saying to himself, "we should get this guy b/c if we have too many injuries on D he could play D" then that guy is gonna lose his job. Feds is a forward, an older slower forward at that.

I will concede the point that Sergei isn't what this team needs. He does't give a 100%, but even at 70% he is better than most guys. And yes, I believe Sergei is the most complete player in the league.

I'll put the challange out there again. Show me any guy who posses the offensive threat that Sergei is that can also drop back and play D and not hurt the team. Or show me a solid D man who can jump up and provide the offensive threat Sergei can.

He is the most complete player in the league, no doubt. Is he the best player in the league? No. Is he the most effective player in the league? No. But there is no one who can consistantly do the things he can on both sides of the puck. Hank is a solid offensive threat, but put him back on d and he would get eaten alive by any playmaker in the league. Hah, maybe Samsonov lol!!

Guest GordieSid&Ted

I will concede the point that Sergei isn't what this team needs. He does't give a 100%, but even at 70% he is better than most guys. And yes, I believe Sergei is the most complete player in the league.

I'll put the challange out there again. Show me any guy who posses the offensive threat that Sergei is that can also drop back and play D and not hurt the team. Or show me a solid D man who can jump up and provide the offensive threat Sergei can.

He is the most complete player in the league, no doubt. Is he the best player in the league? No. Is he the most effective player in the league? No. But there is no one who can consistantly do the things he can on both sides of the puck. Hank is a solid offensive threat, but put him back on d and he would get eaten alive by any playmaker in the league. Hah, maybe Samsonov lol!!

Honestly, i'd be really interested to see Sergei's numbers from this season when he was on the blueline. I live in Ohio but this year didn't catch too many Jackets games so I actually didn't see him play D at all this season. I wonder if any of the stat junkies out there can find out what he did this season in just the games where he played D. Obviously, +/- and the Jackets record in those games would be of interest.

My point was that I figured you probably hadn't checked on the cap issue and I was right. My point was that if Fedorov were in Lang's spot it may not have been possible to acquire Calder and Bertuzzi. My point was that if Feds was in Lang's spot and we weren't able to have Calder and Bertuzzi then who would've been Fed's wingers? My point was that probably would've meant we'd play Hudler and some other rookie or would've had a shortened bench. And per your example, what if Feds did take Lebda's place and we didn't have Lang/Bert/calder, then who would the next forward be?

I was only breaking your balls a bit, I didn't mean for you to get all bent out of shape about it. Guess i shoulda used a smiley face or something.

Still, you don't seem to have accounted for anything I just said so yeah, maybe Fedorov could've helped us. But what would this team have been like if he was on it and we weren't able to get some of the other guys like Calder and Bert? Would a team with Fedorov and no Lang/Bert/Calder be a better one? I know you love Fedorov but you can't possibly believe he can fill 3 roster spots all by himself?

Oh well, I can't expect everyone to think before they speak. :P

happy now

:rolleyes:

Okay, for the last time......I didn't say "If Holland picked up Sergei at the deadline we'd of won the cup." I simply said if he was on the roster, magically making what Lang or Bert or whoever made, they'd of beat the Ducks. Never said that it would've been smarter to not pick up Calder and bert and just go with him, although the more I think about it, that doesn't sound that bad. Feds here with no Calder or Bert on wings? Sammy and Franzen or Cleary, any 2 of those 3. If he played on D, (which Lang would still be here, just not Bert or Calder but anyway) Hudler and Kopckey. Or go with 3 lines, seemed to work well enough for the Ducks.

I guess I just didn't really see it that way.

I guess my point is since it's Feds and not one of lang, bert, or calder.... yes I believe a line of Feds, Hudler, and any one of franzen, cleary, flip, z, dats or whoever would've been more effective than someone who didn't even play, another one who was uneffective to say the least, and yet another who despite some timley goals didn't show up for that series. Yet I'm the one not thinking before I speak...right.

You raise a good point that goes largely unnoticed around LGW. He pulled that crap at the end of his tenure in Detroit as well. Just showing up for the playoffs. He then did the same garbage in Anaheim.

Honestly, I don't think we should ever welcome him back, and not because his conceit....but the Wings just shouldn't look forward by going backwards. This always bites us in the ass. Scout young, capable talent, and get them to work within the coaches system. Sports in general are always poorly served when you bring in big names and let them have the run of the show and build your team around them. Ask the Lakers, Yankees, and Cubs how they've been doing with all that money they've thrown into marquee players. You can't buy a championship anymore, and we definitely shouldn't try.

Let the glory days be the glory days, and let's go about the business of focusing on a new dynasy.