• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:39 PM

I was thinking about the possibilites on the blueline next season. With Markov all but gone, Kenny will need to get a physcial presence on the back end to replace Markov. Then it hit me.

Greg DeVries. He is an UFA, he won'y likely draw a ton of intrest, and he is a tough, mean, punshing guy to play against. He doesn't do much on the score sheet, but what he brings to his own end of the ice is soild play. He made a little more than $2 last season, he is not getting any younger, and undoubtedly wants to win another Cup. I think he would be a great addition to the blueline, he is a great leader, and I think he is the type of player Kronwall could really learn a lot from. That's not to say that he can't learn from Nick, or Cheli, rather that DeVries brings something different to the table. He could restore the physcial presence that we haven't had since Vladdy's accident.

I think that he could be had for $1.5-$2, if not less. I don't know if he would even want to play in Detroit, but I love the idea of it. We need some nastiness back there. Imagine Cheli and DeVries, what a snarl that combo would provide. Gotta love it...

#2 msandalis

msandalis

Michael

• 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:41 PM

I don't mind him, it could happen.......
Halifax, NS

#3 arin

arin

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:41 PM

How about Sarich?

#4 Agalloch

Agalloch

1st Line Sniper

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

No thanks. I'd rather just use the money on a forward.

Lidstrom - Lilja
Schneider - Kronwall
Chelios - Lebda
Quincey

The defense was amazing last year, and I doubt it'd be terrible without Markov. Though I'm one of the people that prefers Markov to Schneider, it doesn't look like Markov will be back.

#5 bullocks

bullocks

Ultimate Playoff Performer

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

I'd take Sarich or Sutton over DeVries.
"I don't want my legacy to be about the numbers, or how many trophies I won. I want it to be that I was a competitor, and that my teammates believed in me. That's what's most important to me. That my teammates know, when I'm in the net, I'm the man, I'm the right person for them. And that I never gave up." - Dominik Hasek

#6 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,832 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:04 PM

Sarich , Hannan , Sutton would be my ideal choices.

De Vries wouldnt be bad

#NOMOREKINDL

#7 Kp-Wings

Kp-Wings

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,844 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

De Vries is getting steadily older now. Maybe for the right price he'd add some physical sense to the blueline, but he's really not worth a big contract.

Sutton is the ideal choice for me, but rumor is he'll command about just as much as Markov, if not more. The Wings just don't have enough Cap room to work with by those numbers. All in all, if De Vries wants to come cheap, by all means bring him in. A gritty defenseman is always welcome here in my book. cool.gif

Edited by Kp-Wings, 05 June 2007 - 05:09 PM.

#8 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(arin @ June 5, 2007 - 05:41PM) View Post

How about Sarich?

He is way too expensive. He will get at least $3.5-$4 per. For that kinda money, which I don't think Kenny has to spend on any one single player not named Matty, I think the Wings could do better. Say, maybe lock up Hank with a nice 7 year deal.

#9 SoupGuru

SoupGuru

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

I don't think we need to spend on defense. Just make sure we have a little to rent someone if it looks like we need to, come post-season.

#10 RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

RockyMountainWingGal

• HoF Booster
  • 3,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

Did Markov ink a deal with somone else yet? i thought that was just a rumor. Plus, what makes us think the Wings won't make a similar offer.

I do think we need another depth D-man. Lidstrom, Schneids, and Cheli are all getting old (OK Cheli IS old). There's no guarantee Kronwall can make it through a season, etc etc. Fischer is pretty much done. In fact, is his contract officially up this summer??

Should be a good topic for disc this summer - we'll see what happens...
New season, New start! May the force be with the Wings this time!

#11 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

Yes, Fischer is officially a UFA this summer.

And it was the other Markov--Andrei--who re-signed with Montreal. The free agency period starts July 1st. Until then, players may re-sign with their current team but not another team.

Edited by joshy207, 05 June 2007 - 06:11 PM.

#12 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:15 PM

QUOTE(RockyMountainWingGal @ June 5, 2007 - 06:43PM) View Post

Did Markov ink a deal with somone else yet? i thought that was just a rumor. Plus, what makes us think the Wings won't make a similar offer.

I do think we need another depth D-man. Lidstrom, Schneids, and Cheli are all getting old (OK Cheli IS old). There's no guarantee Kronwall can make it through a season, etc etc. Fischer is pretty much done. In fact, is his contract officially up this summer??

Should be a good topic for disc this summer - we'll see what happens...

No, Markov can't sign with anyone other than Detroit until July 1st, that is when his comtract is offically up.

As far as Jiri is concerned, his contract is also up July 1st, and obviously he won't be re-signed.

However, Kenny has publicly stated that retaining Matty is the number 1 priority this offseason. That coupled with the salary cap will make it very difficult for Kenny to fit Markov back in the fold. I've read on several rumor sites that Markov isn't wanted back, nor does he want to come back. Regardless if that is true or not, he would have to take a paycut to stay, and I don't mean the usualy 'hometown discount'. There is no way Kenny will pay him the same ticket he got last season. That is why I suggested Greg DeVries. He WILL be much cheaper, and plays a very similar style. Markov is better on the offensive side, but we don't really need much help in that area, particularly if Matty comes back. Where DeVries could shine is on the defensive side. We do need help there, no doubt. Also DeVries is a GREAT shot blocker, and he isn't afraid to drop the mitts. Detroit had the least fighting majors in the NHL last year. IMO someone needs to step up and make a statement about protecting hte Eurotwins, and that can't be Homer.

Edited by BringHomeTheCup!, 05 June 2007 - 06:16 PM.

#13 bullocks

bullocks

Ultimate Playoff Performer

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Detroit # 1 Fan @ June 5, 2007 - 06:04PM) View Post

Sarich , Hannan , Sutton would be my ideal choices.

De Vries wouldnt be bad

Hannan will command alot also.
"I don't want my legacy to be about the numbers, or how many trophies I won. I want it to be that I was a competitor, and that my teammates believed in me. That's what's most important to me. That my teammates know, when I'm in the net, I'm the man, I'm the right person for them. And that I never gave up." - Dominik Hasek

#14 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,832 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(bullocks @ June 5, 2007 - 08:28PM) View Post

Hannan will command alot also.

I know , hes gonna get at least 6 million from Chicago/Columbus/Florida/Philly

#NOMOREKINDL

#15 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(BringHomeTheCup! @ June 5, 2007 - 03:39PM) View Post

I was thinking about the possibilites on the blueline next season. With Markov all but gone, Kenny will need to get a physcial presence on the back end to replace Markov. Then it hit me.

Greg DeVries. He is an UFA, he won'y likely draw a ton of intrest, and he is a tough, mean, punshing guy to play against. He doesn't do much on the score sheet, but what he brings to his own end of the ice is soild play. He made a little more than $2 last season, he is not getting any younger, and undoubtedly wants to win another Cup. I think he would be a great addition to the blueline, he is a great leader, and I think he is the type of player Kronwall could really learn a lot from. That's not to say that he can't learn from Nick, or Cheli, rather that DeVries brings something different to the table. He could restore the physcial presence that we haven't had since Vladdy's accident.

I think that he could be had for $1.5-$2, if not less. I don't know if he would even want to play in Detroit, but I love the idea of it. We need some nastiness back there. Imagine Cheli and DeVries, what a snarl that combo would provide. Gotta love it...

Andreas Lilja can fill this role, and he's already signed. DeVries doesn't really bring anything to the table that Pain Train doesn't have.

#16 Elshupacabra

Elshupacabra

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:39 PM

QUOTE(Agalloch @ June 5, 2007 - 05:42PM) View Post

Lidstrom - Lilja
Schneider - Kronwall
Chelios - Lebda
Quincey

The defense was amazing last year, and I doubt it'd be terrible without Markov. Though I'm one of the people that prefers Markov to Schneider, it doesn't look like Markov will be back.

clap.gif thats what I'm thinking too

#17 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

It's Now or Never, Kenny....

• Silver Booster
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(Agalloch @ June 5, 2007 - 02:42PM) View Post

Lidstrom - Lilja
Schneider - Kronwall
Chelios - Lebda
Quincey

I would like to have Markov back but other than that, our defense is FINE. We just need one solid forward and we're set. However, my D-lines would look like this:

Lidstrom - Kronwall
Schneider - Markov
Chelios - Lebda
Quincey - Lilja

Edited by ShanahanMan, 05 June 2007 - 11:46 PM.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#18 timsummers

timsummers

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:52 PM

did i miss something? why are we calling markov "all but gone"?
"Get the maple crusted yams outta the fridge Aunt Edna, christmas has been extended"

#19 wingsrock34

wingsrock34

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 11:53 PM

Vitaly Vishnevski

TSN says

Assets Is a physical presence, and can do some damage to onrushing forwards in open ice. Blocks shots very effectively.

Flaws Tends to wear down over the course of a long season. Doesn't have a lot of offensive upside. Makes mistakes in his own end.

Career potential Top four defenseman.

NHLPA say $1,550,000.00

TRADE FOR Jim Vandermeer

TSN says

Assets Displays a terrific combination of physical presence and potential production. Has the tools to become a solid all-around defenseman. Is as tough as nails.

Flaws Must make the necessary adjustments in the 'new' NHL so as to take the next step in his development. Needs to step up his offensive play.

Career potential Top four defenseman.

NHLPA says $1,225,000.00

#20 BringHomeTheCup!

BringHomeTheCup!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE(Crymson @ June 5, 2007 - 09:09PM) View Post

Andreas Lilja can fill this role, and he's already signed. DeVries doesn't really bring anything to the table that Pain Train doesn't have.

I can think of 3 HUGE things...

1. Stanley Cup rings
2. Leadership
3. Consistent play