• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BringHomeTheCup!

New DMan?

Rate this topic

I was thinking about the possibilites on the blueline next season. With Markov all but gone, Kenny will need to get a physcial presence on the back end to replace Markov. Then it hit me.

Greg DeVries. He is an UFA, he won'y likely draw a ton of intrest, and he is a tough, mean, punshing guy to play against. He doesn't do much on the score sheet, but what he brings to his own end of the ice is soild play. He made a little more than $2 last season, he is not getting any younger, and undoubtedly wants to win another Cup. I think he would be a great addition to the blueline, he is a great leader, and I think he is the type of player Kronwall could really learn a lot from. That's not to say that he can't learn from Nick, or Cheli, rather that DeVries brings something different to the table. He could restore the physcial presence that we haven't had since Vladdy's accident.

I think that he could be had for $1.5-$2, if not less. I don't know if he would even want to play in Detroit, but I love the idea of it. We need some nastiness back there. Imagine Cheli and DeVries, what a snarl that combo would provide. Gotta love it...

Guest Agalloch

No thanks. I'd rather just use the money on a forward.

Lidstrom - Lilja

Schneider - Kronwall

Chelios - Lebda

Quincey

The defense was amazing last year, and I doubt it'd be terrible without Markov. Though I'm one of the people that prefers Markov to Schneider, it doesn't look like Markov will be back.

De Vries is getting steadily older now. Maybe for the right price he'd add some physical sense to the blueline, but he's really not worth a big contract.

Sutton is the ideal choice for me, but rumor is he'll command about just as much as Markov, if not more. The Wings just don't have enough Cap room to work with by those numbers. All in all, if De Vries wants to come cheap, by all means bring him in. A gritty defenseman is always welcome here in my book. :cool:

Edited by Kp-Wings

How about Sarich?

He is way too expensive. He will get at least $3.5-$4 per. For that kinda money, which I don't think Kenny has to spend on any one single player not named Matty, I think the Wings could do better. Say, maybe lock up Hank with a nice 7 year deal.

Did Markov ink a deal with somone else yet? i thought that was just a rumor. Plus, what makes us think the Wings won't make a similar offer.

I do think we need another depth D-man. Lidstrom, Schneids, and Cheli are all getting old (OK Cheli IS old). There's no guarantee Kronwall can make it through a season, etc etc. Fischer is pretty much done. In fact, is his contract officially up this summer??

Should be a good topic for disc this summer - we'll see what happens...

Yes, Fischer is officially a UFA this summer.

And it was the other Markov--Andrei--who re-signed with Montreal. The free agency period starts July 1st. Until then, players may re-sign with their current team but not another team.

Edited by joshy207

Did Markov ink a deal with somone else yet? i thought that was just a rumor. Plus, what makes us think the Wings won't make a similar offer.

I do think we need another depth D-man. Lidstrom, Schneids, and Cheli are all getting old (OK Cheli IS old). There's no guarantee Kronwall can make it through a season, etc etc. Fischer is pretty much done. In fact, is his contract officially up this summer??

Should be a good topic for disc this summer - we'll see what happens...

No, Markov can't sign with anyone other than Detroit until July 1st, that is when his comtract is offically up.

As far as Jiri is concerned, his contract is also up July 1st, and obviously he won't be re-signed.

However, Kenny has publicly stated that retaining Matty is the number 1 priority this offseason. That coupled with the salary cap will make it very difficult for Kenny to fit Markov back in the fold. I've read on several rumor sites that Markov isn't wanted back, nor does he want to come back. Regardless if that is true or not, he would have to take a paycut to stay, and I don't mean the usualy 'hometown discount'. There is no way Kenny will pay him the same ticket he got last season. That is why I suggested Greg DeVries. He WILL be much cheaper, and plays a very similar style. Markov is better on the offensive side, but we don't really need much help in that area, particularly if Matty comes back. Where DeVries could shine is on the defensive side. We do need help there, no doubt. Also DeVries is a GREAT shot blocker, and he isn't afraid to drop the mitts. Detroit had the least fighting majors in the NHL last year. IMO someone needs to step up and make a statement about protecting hte Eurotwins, and that can't be Homer.

Edited by BringHomeTheCup!

Guest bullocks

Sarich , Hannan , Sutton would be my ideal choices.

De Vries wouldnt be bad

Hannan will command alot also.

Guest Crymson

I was thinking about the possibilites on the blueline next season. With Markov all but gone, Kenny will need to get a physcial presence on the back end to replace Markov. Then it hit me.

Greg DeVries. He is an UFA, he won'y likely draw a ton of intrest, and he is a tough, mean, punshing guy to play against. He doesn't do much on the score sheet, but what he brings to his own end of the ice is soild play. He made a little more than $2 last season, he is not getting any younger, and undoubtedly wants to win another Cup. I think he would be a great addition to the blueline, he is a great leader, and I think he is the type of player Kronwall could really learn a lot from. That's not to say that he can't learn from Nick, or Cheli, rather that DeVries brings something different to the table. He could restore the physcial presence that we haven't had since Vladdy's accident.

I think that he could be had for $1.5-$2, if not less. I don't know if he would even want to play in Detroit, but I love the idea of it. We need some nastiness back there. Imagine Cheli and DeVries, what a snarl that combo would provide. Gotta love it...

Andreas Lilja can fill this role, and he's already signed. DeVries doesn't really bring anything to the table that Pain Train doesn't have.

Lidstrom - Lilja

Schneider - Kronwall

Chelios - Lebda

Quincey

The defense was amazing last year, and I doubt it'd be terrible without Markov. Though I'm one of the people that prefers Markov to Schneider, it doesn't look like Markov will be back.

:clap: thats what I'm thinking too

Lidstrom - Lilja

Schneider - Kronwall

Chelios - Lebda

Quincey

I would like to have Markov back but other than that, our defense is FINE. We just need one solid forward and we're set. However, my D-lines would look like this:

Lidstrom - Kronwall

Schneider - Markov

Chelios - Lebda

Quincey - Lilja

Edited by ShanahanMan

Vitaly Vishnevski

TSN says

Assets Is a physical presence, and can do some damage to onrushing forwards in open ice. Blocks shots very effectively.

Flaws Tends to wear down over the course of a long season. Doesn't have a lot of offensive upside. Makes mistakes in his own end.

Career potential Top four defenseman.

NHLPA say $1,550,000.00

TRADE FOR Jim Vandermeer

TSN says

Assets Displays a terrific combination of physical presence and potential production. Has the tools to become a solid all-around defenseman. Is as tough as nails.

Flaws Must make the necessary adjustments in the 'new' NHL so as to take the next step in his development. Needs to step up his offensive play.

NHLPA says $1,225,000.00

Vitaly Vishnevski

TSN says

Assets Is a physical presence, and can do some damage to onrushing forwards in open ice. Blocks shots very effectively.

Flaws Tends to wear down over the course of a long season. Doesn't have a lot of offensive upside. Makes mistakes in his own end.

NHLPA say $1,550,000.00

TRADE FOR Jim Vandermeer

TSN says

Assets Displays a terrific combination of physical presence and potential production. Has the tools to become a solid all-around defenseman. Is as tough as nails.

Flaws Must make the necessary adjustments in the 'new' NHL so as to take the next step in his development. Needs to step up his offensive play.

NHLPA says $1,225,000.00

man Jim Vandermeer would be a dream

I agree but they took Jwilly so why not try and see how dumb they are, I mean this is the Blackhawks one of the worst run teams in the NHL and all of sports.

I don't think it would take much to ply him out of Chicago.. wasn't he scratched like half the year? he isn't the greatest and most mobile D, but his physical presence, raw skill, and ability to fight anyone in the league is enough for me to want him in Detroit!

Edited by skacore

Danny Markov isn't wanted back, nor does he want to come back :blink:

Did he sleep with Babs/Hollands wife/daughters? :lol:

In all seriousness I thought Markov was interested in returning, & Holland wanted him back as well...Hmm maybe there were some "issues" in the locker room that us fans aren't aware of that took place during the playoffs? I for 1 hope he returns, but he'll probably be lucky to get anything over his previous $2.5 million from Holland; may have to settle for a 1, or 2 year deal for the same $2.5 million...Part of the reason he played well was the fact that Nick was his partner for much of the season. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but Danny Markov wasn't exactly the hottest commodity last July 1st. If he's smart he'd work out a 2 year deal with Kenny.

I don't remember exactly what the problems were. The only one that comes to mind is quite ridiculous, but here goes. If my memory serves me Markov was doing an interview before a playoff game, while smoking a cigarette. As I recall, this wasn't the first time this had happened, and it did sit well with Babs.

But from what I can gather, simply based on payroll, the Wings don't have the cap room to spend on Markov and Matty. While Kenny has already stated that getting Matty to sign is his #1 off season priority.